Post-Game Talk: Brutal, Jets lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I was all for giving Lowry a chance but to me his biggest failing is not making the team his. Whether it was his idea or managements he juat kept running the same broken systems that Maurice was running, running the same lines and terrible deployment Maurice was doing.

So in essence nothing changed here. We also had plenty of time to sell those days off for him to change things.

If Lowry was instructed to just maintain status quo I'd hope he makes it well known on his way out.

People involved in the NHL tend to not rock the boat though.

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
I don't firmly believe we're done. Columbus/Arizona/Buffalo are very winnable (so was Ottawa tonight I know) and if we can get 6 of 8 points in these 4 games that would put us right there. Definitely crushing to lose the very first game though.
I’m seeing what you’re saying, I have to agree it would be nice..
At this point all I have confidence (faith?) in is the dream..
What a bunch of yo-yo’s..I hope Wheeler and Scheiffle leave there golf clubs at home next game..hockey sticks would be nice..

Reactions: JeKaKa

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Ken Weib on tonight's postgame show went on a rant defending Lowry. Said he is made from the same mold as Sutter. He also said (and flames fans agreed with him) that Calgary fans wanted Sutter gone after last season.

In a way, he may have a point. Sutter sucked at getting the team to play better when he took over through to the end of last season but turned around this year. So what would be a good rebuttal to this thought process in reference to Lowry?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Ken Weib on tonight's postgame show went on a rant defending Lowry. Said he is made from the same mold as Sutter. He also said (and flames fans agreed with him) that Calgary fans wanted Sutter gone after last season.

In a way, he may have a point. Sutter sucked at getting the team to play better when he took over through to the end of last season but turned around this year. So what would be a good rebuttal to this thought process in reference to Lowry?

Sutter has a history of that at least, Lowry does not.

None

Feb 22, 2012

The 20-21 Flames were a top team by most metrics that were undone by goaltending and shooting %.

4th in CF%
5th in FF%
5th in SF%
4th in GF%
5th in xGF%
3rd in SCF%
2nd in HDCF%
15th in HDGF%
30th in HDSH%
19th in HDSV%

Markstrom was 22nd in GSAA among goalies with >1200 mins played
23rd in HDSV%
26th in HDGSAA

The Jets on the other hand have regressed even further under Lowry than they were under Maurice where they were already struggling as either middling or terrible.

The players suck, and so does coaching.

Edit: Easier than doing it myself:

Last edited:

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
:dunno:

Yeah, the guys definitely played down to the Sens tonight for some reason. I just don't understand why it seems to happen so frequently.

To be fair there was a metric f**ktonne of obstruction and interference going on in the neutral zone all night but the refs weren't calling any of it, so we couldn't get much going.

Stanley... needs more time to bake, or else just needs to become our designated goon for when we're visited by other designated goons. He's so often out of position or making poor decisions and it's costing us (and screwing his defensive partner over regularly). Maybe time to bring up Heinola, Chisolm or Kovacevic and give them a look?

On the plus side Sanford has been a nice surprise so far - isn't afraid to skate and has pretty good hands and perception of space, I saw a couple of dandy plays where he was able to position himself nicely to shield the puck and find the open man. Hope this is a trend in the positive direction.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Wow , how does a team with absolutely no chance for playoffs come into our rink and outplay us like that? Just awful and embarrassing. Scheifele with another horrible i don't give a f*** performance. Time to cut Scheifele's minutes to wake him up and break him and Wheeler up already. Just a terrible game again at home but because Helly didn't stand on his head like the Vegas game we lost, nice strategy Lowry, just hope Helly plays unreal and maybe we will win.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Sorry gang but this team is not going on anything like a 14 and 3 run to finish the season. People talking like being 3 or 4 points out of a PO spot with less than 20 games to go is "close" are just out to lunch. This was a long shot at the beginning of February. Now it's a lost cause.

Reactions: rkp and Fairview

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
So annoyed by this game. I don't even know who to blame anymore; the players, the coaches, the management, the announcers, the glitchiness of the website, the ongoing political strife in the world, or the fact that I get less bacon for my dollar.
DRebQHO.gif

It does sound annoying - quickly making my way through this thread.

I missed the entire game (rare for me, but familial duty trumps all). I couldn't fathom the 3rd period score.

1905149559iris-dilating-gif.gif

I was gutted by the final, just another WTH moment in this season.

AstonishingTediousAdmiralbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

How numbing is the result when the Jets roll over to a poor team, and then we go out and beat Tampa 7-4? This team needs to buy into a sports psychologist.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

The only difference is Sutter has a long and capable coaching record. Every team he coaches has an above average possession metric, and two Stanley Cups to his name. Lowry hasn't shown one tenth of that, and the difference between Calgary and Winnipeg isn't that huge in player calibre.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
See, the problem with that is that "flip the switch" was 2 seasons ago. Last season it was "changing gears." Like the Jets we need to move past old cliches and move into new cliches. I nominate "Turn the tide", "Turn the worm" "Tug the nut" or "Short the shart"
Tug the nut
Short the shart

Both fantastic. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

For the fans:
Fuelled by rage/indignation

For the playas:
Fuelled by apathy

For the coaches:
Fuelled by salad days

Last edited:
Reactions: John Agar

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Oh, Weiber….

a) Sutter has pedigree spanning several teams, POs, Cups…
b) Sutters teams have a discernible identity, play discernible systems, etc, even last year when they were losing
c) Kens point of reference for all things hockey seems to be the 1980s Winkler Flyers
d) The point is asinine and needs no rebuttal since Lowry is to Sutter as PickAPop is to RC Cola

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The 20-21 Flames were a top team by most metrics that were undone by goaltending and shooting %.

4th in CF%
5th in FF%
5th in SF%
4th in GF%
5th in xGF%
3rd in SCF%
2nd in HDCF%
15th in HDGF%
30th in HDSH%
19th in HDSV%

Markstrom was 22nd in GSAA among goalies with >1200 mins played
23rd in HDSV%
26th in HDGSAA

The Jets on the other hand have regressed even further under Lowry than they were under Maurice where they were already struggling as either middling or terrible.

The players suck, and so does coaching.

Edit: Easier than doing it myself:

Yup he's proven to be a poor man's Maurice.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
If you don't watch the games how do you impart us with so much knowledge on the Jets? And how do you work your switch you keep talking about if you don't watch Jets games?

I have foregone the Eye Test and now rely on sonar. I’m kinda like Daredevil.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Every team loses winnable games at important times. There are no exceptions.
Of course they do. I'm more concerned with how the Jets lost to a team in the Sens position, at such an important time. Its a pattern that has repeated itself all season. To each their own but this team gives me zero reason to believe they are capable of playing at a level required to make up so much ground. Not with how they play.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Yup he's proven to be a poor man's Maurice.

Not sure why Ken Wiebe's even carrying Dave Lowry's water. His entire argument just comes across as strange now that I've had a chance to actually listen to it. It basically boils down to (paraphrasing) Dave Lowry is a disciple of Darryl Sutter so that makes them equivalent to Wiebe :huh:

Honestly it sounds like old boys' club bullshit from Wiebe. Just a nonsensical argument.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Not sure why Ken Wiebe's even carrying Dave Lowry's water. His entire argument just comes across as strange now that I've had a chance to actually listen to it. It basically boils down to (paraphrasing) Dave Lowry is a disciple of Darryl Sutter so that makes them equivalent to Wiebe :huh:

Honestly it sounds like old boys' club bullshit from Wiebe. Just a nonsensical argument.

Yep. I've got a musician friend who's a disciple of David Byrne, but as a cellist that does not make her Byrne's equivalent.

This town could use some smarter, sharper, tougher, braver sportswriters.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sutter has a history of that at least, Lowry does not.
I feel Lowry was handcuffed by how he came in and being stuck with the assistants he has.

I do believe the team play has improved somewhat, but there are glaring deficiencies that are very hard to correct in season

Reactions: hockeyarena
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad