Bruins Trivia Game

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is the quietest time on the NHL calendar so let's kill some time with Bruins Trivia.

Rules are simple - First person to get the correct answer gets to ask the next question.

Here we go

How many venues have the Bruins played a regular season game in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and name them. (Current name of venue will be accepted) - Good Luck!!!

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Fenway Park
Springfield Coliseum (Mass Mutual Center)
Matthews Arena
Boston Garden
Fleet Center

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fenian24 answered correctly offline but does not want to ask a question

Correct answer is 6

Boston Arena ( Matthews Arena )
Boston Garden
Springfield Civic Center (MassMutual Center)
Fleet Center (TD Garden)
Fenway Park
Gillette Stadium

Next Question

In 1991-1992 The Bruins had an official 'Celebrity Captain' in a NHL promotion.

Who did the Bruins chose?

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
In 1991-1992 The Bruins had an official 'Celebrity Captain' in a NHL promotion.

Who did the Bruins chose?

This guy:

tumblr_nu479gOaL81spx4u4o1_400.jpg

Ummmm...........maybe this is a better picture:

June211_fox4_biggy.jpg

Give me a few minutes to come up with a question.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Last edited:

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
June211_fox4_biggy.jpg

We have a winner - you may ask the next question :)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/goes-brown-grading-nhl-celebrity-captains-1991/

Other teams included

Montreal Canadiens – Maurice “Rocket” Richard
New York Rangers – Marv Albert
Hartford Whalers – Susan Saint James
Toronto Maple Leafs – Gordon Lightfoot
Chicago Blackhawks – Jim Belushi
Los Angeles Kings – John Candy
Pittsburgh Penguins – Mister Rogers

This is so up-their-own-***** it could only be the Habs

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is so up-their-own-***** it could only be the Habs

From Down Goes Brown

No. 22: Montreal Canadiens – Maurice “Rocket†Richard
No. Just… no.

Let’s be clear: Rocket Richard is a legend, one of the greatest wingers of all time, and a defining player of a generation. He inspired children’s books, songs and even the occasional riot. In the world of pro sports, there are superstars, there are Hall-of-Famers, and then there’s that very small group of players who transcend it all to become something even more. Richard is in the group, no question. Rocket Richard ruled.

But asking a franchise to pick a celebrity captain from the entire world of arts, sports and pop culture and then having them come back with one of their own players is the most Montreal Canadiens thing ever. This franchise is so obsessed with its own history that they literally couldn’t think of any other options here. Sorry, Montreal, but that’s too much. Pick a marginally famous folk singer like all the other teams in the country ended up doing.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
June211_fox4_biggy.jpg

We have a winner - you may ask the next question :)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/goes-brown-grading-nhl-celebrity-captains-1991/

Other teams included

Montreal Canadiens – Maurice “Rocket†Richard
New York Rangers – Marv Albert
Hartford Whalers – Susan Saint James
Toronto Maple Leafs – Gordon Lightfoot
Chicago Blackhawks – Jim Belushi
Los Angeles Kings – John Candy
Pittsburgh Penguins – Mister Rogers

Please someone else go. I am not around enough right now to be consistent enough to monitor etc. My apologies

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Please someone else go. I am not around enough right now to be consistent enough to monitor etc. My apologies

All right then - I'll take it since I just missed last time. Somebody asked me this question a few years ago and I had to think for a while before getting both guys. Hopefully this makes you think for a bit before coming up with the answer.

Name the 2 HOF players ( and I am 100% certain that there are only 2 players ) that were originally drafted by the Bruins but never played a single minute for the organization.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
All right then - I'll take it since I just missed last time. Somebody asked me this question a few years ago and I had to think for a while before getting both guys. Hopefully this makes you think for a bit before coming up with the answer.

Name the 2 HOF players ( and I am 100% certain that there are only 2 players ) that were originally drafted by the Bruins but never played a single minute for the organization.

One is painfully obvious but I won't spoil the fun but I am clueless who the second one could be.

Bernie Parent the team lost in an expansion draft but he did play for the B's in the 60's. Rick MacLeish never played for the Bruins and had a fine career but he isn't in the HHoF.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
One is painfully obvious but I won't spoil the fun but I am clueless who the second one could be.

Yeah - I got the really obvious one right away too but it took me a few minutes to come up with the other guy. :nod:

Bernie Parent the team lost in an expansion draft but he did play for the B's in the 60's.

Parent was signed by the Bruins and not a draft pick. Both of the guys I'm looking for were Bruin draft picks.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Bernie Parent the team lost in an expansion draft but he did play for the B's in the 60's. Rick MacLeish never played for the Bruins and had a fine career but he isn't in the HHoF.

Are you absolutely sure about this? I seem to remember him play at least a half season here?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Are you absolutely sure about this? I seem to remember him play at least a half season here?

You may be thinking of Reggie Leach?

The were both drafted in '70. Played for Okie City baby bs .
Leach played for the Bruins before being traded to the Seals.

MacLeish was traded without playing for the Bruins for Mike 'Shakey' Walton....as a favor to Orr.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ken Dryden
Mark Howe

Dryden and Howe is the correct answer - I knew Howe was in the WHA HoF but didn't know he made it to Toronto.

There is probably a good reason why it took Howe so long to get the call from the Hockey Hall of Fame. Maybe his years in the WHA meant his NHL statistical totals weren't impressive enough for some voters. Maybe the lack of a Norris Trophy or Stanley Cup somehow devalued 1,355 games of professional hockey. Or maybe his career never quite measured up to Dad's.

Whatever the reason, Howe stopped paying attention to the debate. In retirement, he has become one of Detroit GM Ken Holland's most trusted advisers. He is grinding out a life on the road as the Red Wings' director of pro scouting, where he sees an estimated 150 games a year.

"He was a superstar as a player and he's a top-notch scout," Holland said.

Of course, when the call from the Hall came this summer, Howe missed it. He received three calls from the 416 area code in Toronto and ignored them all. He was busy checking on his boat and making sure everything was in order back home in New Jersey before leaving for Detroit to get ready for free agency on July 1.

Finally, a text came from the Red Wings' offices, convincing him to answer if another call came from Toronto.

"They called and I knew instantly as I heard the voices," Howe said.

jgatie - you have the right to ask the next question.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/halloffame11/story/_/id/7216908/2011-hockey-hall-fame-look-inductee-mark-howe

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Ken Dryden
Mark Howe

Correct - I'm sure most here came up with Dryden right away but Mark Howe was a bit harder. As much as losing Cheevers, Sanderson and McKenzie to the WHA hurt the Bruins could you imagine if the WHA folded around 1975 and the Bruins got their hands on Mark Howe - would that have been enough to beat Montreal in any of those series in the late 70's ???? And can you imagine a top 4 of Bourque, Park, Howe and McCrimmon for the 1979-80 to 1981-82 seasons ???? :handclap:

Anyway jgatie - you're up.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Correct - I'm sure most here came up with Dryden right away but Mark Howe was a bit harder. As much as losing Cheevers, Sanderson and McKenzie to the WHA hurt the Bruins could you imagine if the WHA folded around 1975 and the Bruins got their hands on Mark Howe - would that have been enough to beat Montreal in any of those series in the late 70's ???? And can you imagine a top 4 of Bourque, Park, Howe and McCrimmon for the 1979-80 to 1981-82 seasons ???? :handclap:

Anyway jgatie - you're up.

Looking back at the newspaper from 1979 it appears Howe was not Bruins property very long as even though Boston 'drafted' him - the Whalers took him right back.

MzlwL1p.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad