Boston Bruins Bruins Prospects Discussion V - 3 warnings posted - Stay On Subject only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
How are Connolly and Vatrano “busts”? If anything, both those guys are examples of players developing other parts of their game to make/stay in the NHL.

Connolly was the 6th pick and big time scorer in Junior that has become a solid defender as well to earn a role as a Bottom 6 guy on a team in the SCF’s. Plus, he’s chipped in 15 goals each of the last two seasons to provide secondary scoring.

Vatrano was an undrafted FA that got his chance in the NHL because of his scoring/shot. The last couple of seasons he has become more physical and a much better defensive player. If he makes it with FLA, it will because he rounded out his game.

Another example of this and a guy you mention in a dismissive way is Paille. He never developed into the scorer that BUF hoped he would be, but he took his speed, developed an all around defensive game and ended up playing more than 650 NHL games.

Just because Senyshyn’s best asset is his speed/skating, it doesn’t mean it’s rhe only thing he can do. The NHL is filled with guys who don’t even have one elite skill in their repertoire.
Connolly`s game has reminded me in recent years of Paille but with better hands. Paille also a 1st rounder but I don`t think he was the scorer Connelly was in Junior but could be wrong there whose offensive game didn`t translate to the NHL so he committed himself to other aspects of the game and made a nice little career of it with a shiny ring on his finger to boot

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I dunno Dom, kid was at least 1.5 inches outside of the crease, a committed player would have been a bit deeper in on the goalie there:sarcasm:

Can`t teach that stuff IMO, there are players who just don`t have it in them to plant themselves and be open to take punishment and pay the price and there are those who do. I`ve mentioned I`m one who has seen this kid play 2 games I believe on the tube and other than that, have relied on clips, comments from folks like yourself and I`m optimistic and excited to see how he does this coming year and I`m also one who tends to be more than a just a little patient with prospects

Was he really taking any punishment in that clip? He was the net front guy on the powerplay and wasn’t being bothered at all. Then he was net front with the extra attacker on the ice. I didn’t see him in a battle for position that entire video. Just a guy who got to the front and didn’t meet any resistance. Not sure how much I can read into that

BruinsNetwork

I've seen Senyshyn play probably more then anyone here. And while he can "blow by players" it isn't the only way he scores.

- Has a net front presents and can deflect a shot (and would only get better at it with NHL defencemen being much better then junior players at putting pucks in position to be deflected) with his excellent hand-eye coordination.

- He will plant himself in front of the net and pick up the dirty goals.

- He can score with his shot. Evidence that he can think the game: I've seen him numerous times make subtle little moves, a foot here, a foot there, just to get into position so a teammate can make the pass to him and he can get his shot off. He knows how to elude defenders.

He had two games, exactly one year apart, in which he scored 4 goals. I posted it on twitter (I'll have to find it when I have time) in which he scored in 4 different ways (not like Mario Lemieux) his were:

1) Blew by everyone from his own zone and beat the goaltender on the breakaway
2) Went in on the forecheck, threw a heavy hit, took the puck and went to the net and beat the goalie with his shot.
3) Greyhounds were battling behind the net while he was planted in front. They gained control, he took two steps back to get open, received the pass while wide open and fired a laser.
4) Up a goal, last minute, and the opposition net empty, he stole the puck deep in his own zone and took off. By the time he got to center, he was all alone.

In the meantime, here's a small example of his net front presents that you probably already seen

Agreed with all of this, and want to add that the things Dom pointed out about Senyshyn have already translated to the AHL.

Also, contrary to popular belief, Senyshyn isn’t just a “goal-scorer.” As Dom knows, he’s also a good passer & distributor. If there’s no lane available for him to shoot or drive, he can deliver a crisp-pass to his teammates. I’ve seen it multiple times this year— and had his linemates been more talented, he would have inflated his assist total significantly.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Then he will be a bust. Unfortunately, so any people think that day has come and gone, which is far from the truth.
If you go back to last summer and read about DeBrusk and Heinen interesting which posters were bang on and who wiffed

I’ll admit I was outstanding in my assessment but had a decided advantage others didn’t by seeing 7 or 8 games live in March and April. Jack Edwards would love this but it’s not fair you don’t have to be present to get it right.

A big reason so many of you posters are wrong is you like to categorize based on everything from league they played in, age, to favorite pizza.

By the way Dom you also nailed it as did Glorydaze and 2 others

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
If you go back to last summer and read about DeBrusk and Heinen interesting which posters were bang on and who wiffed

I’ll admit I was outstanding in my assessment but had a decided advantage others didn’t by seeing 7 or 8 games live in March and April. Jack Edwards would love this but it’s not fair you don’t have to be present to get it right.

A big reason so many of you posters are wrong is you like to categorize based on everything from league they played in, age, to favorite pizza.

By the way Dom you also nailed it as did Glorydaze and 2 others

I'm not sure what I nailed Dan :laugh::laugh:

If I remember correctly, before the 2015 draft I said "keep an eye on Senyshyn."

The almighty knows I've been wrong before, but I believe Senyshyn makes it as a second line winger. The problem here is that people aren't happy with the timeline - the so called fast food mentality. I always said he would be a project, and projects like ZS take 4 to 5 years. As far as I am concerned, he's on the timeline.

I talk to people in hockey every day, not just fans, but people in the actual game. In his draft plus one season, it's funny how many people in the game said something to the effect that "the Bruins may have just gotten it right after all."

If he does bust, I'll be more then happy to come here and admit I was wrong. But I reserve the right to come in here and say "I told you so" if he does make it - but I would never do that. :thumbu:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure what I nailed Dan :laugh::laugh:

If I remember correctly, before the 2015 draft I said "keep an eye on Senyshyn."

The almighty knows I've been wrong before, but I believe Senyshyn makes it as a second line winger. The problem here is that people aren't happy with the timeline - the so called fast food mentality. I always said he would be a project, and projects like ZS take 4 to 5 years. As far as I am concerned, he's on the timeline.

I talk to people in hockey every day, not just fans, but people in the actual game. In his draft plus one season, it's funny how many people in the game said something to the effect that "the Bruins may have just gotten it right after all."

If he does bust, I'll be more then happy to come here and admit I was wrong. But I reserve the right to come in here and say "I told you so" if he does make it - but I would never do that. :thumbu:
You’re humble - I used to be. When I hit 50 I figured I’ve had enough and wasn’t waiting around till 80. Best part of hitting 50 was I rewrote all the rules

The one thing HF has done for me is ramp up my rooting interest for ZS

Yesterday I got my mini season ticket pack for Providence so looking forward to this

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Was he really taking any punishment in that clip? He was the net front guy on the powerplay and wasn’t being bothered at all. Then he was net front with the extra attacker on the ice. I didn’t see him in a battle for position that entire video. Just a guy who got to the front and didn’t meet any resistance. Not sure how much I can read into that

Did I say he was taking punishment in the clip? I mentioned he was willing to put himself into a spot on the ice where punishment is often the price of admission. Your dislike of the kid is obvious and how you twisted my words around to suit your agenda is too

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Did I say he was taking punishment in the clip? I mentioned he was willing to put himself into a spot on the ice where punishment is often the price of admission. Your dislike of the kid is obvious and how you twisted my words around to suit your agenda is too

I wasn’t trying to twist any words. You made a point of saying that what he was doing was going to an area of the ice where taking punishment is likely. If anything the fact you didn’t mention that in the video that likelihood wasn’t apparent makes your take a little Rose colored glasses ish. So now You think the willingness to go to the front is a valuable skill then. Despite not knowing how effective he is there if he’s in a battle. I’m not willing to say he’s an effective net front guy based on that video. Anyone can stand in front of a net and not be bothered if no one is bothering them.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

There are plenty of guys that won't go to the front of the net, regardless whether there is resistance or not. Look at the Bruins themselves. It'd be easier for you to name the guys that are willing then the guys that are not.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
There are plenty of guys that won't go to the front of the net, regardless whether there is resistance or not. Look at the Bruins themselves. It'd be easier for you to name the guys that are willing then the guys that are not.

Bergeron, marchand, donato, Nash, Nash, pastrnak, debrusk, backes, schaller, kuraly, acciari.

All those guys get to the net. Some better than others. But all of them are willing. I don’t know how good senyshyn is at being a net front presence from that video. Just his willingness to go there is apparent. Is he more like rick Nash or David backes? Or more like pastrnak?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Bergeron, marchand, donato, Nash, Nash, pastrnak, debrusk, backes, schaller, kuraly, acciari.

All those guys get to the net. Some better than others. But all of them are willing. I don’t know how good senyshyn is at being a net front presence from that video. Just his willingness to go there is apparent. Is he more like rick Nash or David backes? Or more like pastrnak?

Geez dude.

Is anyone saying anything different? Must you make a mountain out of a molehill all the time?

*Now entering Zach Senyshyn free conversations*

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
Riley Damiani why does his name ring a bell.....Dom

same skating style speed like Senyshyn

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

:laugh:

This is the problem with basing your assessments on a clip or two. As Dom said, he’s probably seen more of Senyshyn live than any of us, so if he says he’s willing to go to the net, then he’s willing to go to the net.

I know everyone loves to label and categorize all these prospects (myself included at times), but that’s probably not the best way to go about it. If Senyshyn can become a contributing member of the B’s in the next couple of years, whether it’s first line or fourth line, I will be happy.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Riley Damiani why does his name ring a bell.....Dom

same skating style speed like Senyshyn

I actually did a profile on him today.

Damiani has elite explosiveness. If you let him get his first three strides then kiss him goodbye, you are not catching him. The guy you mention has a higher top end speed and breakaway speed. If he reaches it, you are not catching him. Damiani stands 5'9" however. (5'10" if you go by his OHL page).

Damiani broke into the OHL a year earlier, but are in similar situations in that they played on deep, experienced rosters and third line - fourth line minutes in their draft years. But the kid has scored at every level. He'll be a long term project for some team.

Reactions: BiGBear8

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
:laugh:

This is the problem with basing your assessments on a clip or two. As Dom said, he’s probably seen more of Senyshyn live than any of us, so if he says he’s willing to go to the net, then he’s willing to go to the net.

I know everyone loves to label and categorize all these prospects (myself included at times), but that’s probably not the best way to go about it. If Senyshyn can become a contributing member of the B’s in the next couple of years, whether it’s first line or fourth line, I will be happy.

If it’s going to take a couple more years I’d rather move him for help on the current roster. And that’s nothing against him, I just have little interest on long term projects, especially ones that have value enough to bring in someone that helps immediately

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If it’s going to take a couple more years I’d rather move him for help on the current roster. And that’s nothing against him, I just have little interest on long term projects, especially ones that have value enough to bring in someone that helps immediately

To steal a line from a post above, this is "Fast fast mentality" at it's finest. I'll wait and get the prime rib.

Reactions: Chief Nine

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

That's the thing about long term projects, they don't have much value.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
To steal a line from a post above, this is "Fast fast mentality" at it's finest. I'll wait and get the prime rib.

I went out to dinner last night and something was screwed up with how the waiters had been assigned tables. I wasn’t going to get the prime rib, I was going to get the braised short ribs. However a waiter never came to our table. We waited 30 minutes for someone to take my order for short ribs before deciding to leave. We ended up at at a more trustworthy place called yellow door taqueria. Its more “fast foody” but at least we know we’ll get fed. The food there is pretty good despite how quickly they turn it around. Maybe it’s not short rib but the place that offered it never got around to taking our order. So i’ll Take the sure thing today and eat pretty good. You can keep sitting at the table waiting for someone to take your order. I learned yesterday I lack the patience for that

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I went out to dinner last night and something was screwed up with how the waiters had been assigned tables. I wasn’t going to get the prime rib, I was going to get the braised short ribs. However a waiter never came to our table. We waited 30 minutes for someone to take my order for short ribs before deciding to leave. We ended up at at a more trustworthy place called yellow door taqueria. Its more “fast foody” but at least we know we’ll get fed. The food there is pretty good despite how quickly they turn it around. Maybe it’s not short rib but the place that offered it never got around to taking our order. So i’ll Take the sure thing today and eat pretty good. You can keep sitting at the table waiting for someone to take your order. I learned yesterday I lack the patience for that

Thank God you aren't an NHL executive. Prospects take patience.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Thank God you aren't an NHL executive. Prospects take patience.

Only some of them do. This one requires supposedly 5-6 years of patience. I generally cap my patience at about 3 years for first rounders. No big deal waiting 5-6 years on 2nd-7th rounders. First rounders should be short term prospects. I’ve always thought if I can have a top 6 forward in 1-3 years or one in 5-6 years I’ll take the one on the faster time line

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Only some of them do. This one requires supposedly 5-6 years of patience. I generally cap my patience at about 3 years for first rounders. No big deal waiting 5-6 years on 2nd-7th rounders. First rounders should be short term prospects. I’ve always thought if I can have a top 6 forward in 1-3 years or one in 5-6 years I’ll take the one on the faster time line

But it's not like the Bruins have this pressing need for a winger right now. They have enough players, veterans/young/rookies that they can wait on someone like Senyshyn.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
But it's not like the Bruins have this pressing need for a winger right now. They have enough players, veterans/young/rookies that they can wait on someone like Senyshyn.

They need a right wing that can play in the top 6 right now. They can sign one, but if the rw they drafted in the 1st round 3 years ago would be ready to make an nhl impact that would have been nice. I know they have heinen and donato and maybe one of them can play the off side, but senyshyn is a natural right wing who isn’t ready. He’s a top prospect who will take longer than 1st round picks should take. They could have had a natural right wing who is ready now. There is no benefit to taking a player that takes longer to have an impact. That’s my problem.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
They need a right wing that can play in the top 6 right now. They can sign one, but if the rw they drafted in the 1st round 3 years ago would be ready to make an nhl impact that would have been nice. I know they have heinen and donato and maybe one of them can play the off side, but senyshyn is a natural right wing who isn’t ready. He’s a top prospect who will take longer than 1st round picks should take. They could have had a natural right wing who is ready now. There is no benefit to taking a player that takes longer to have an impact. That’s my problem.

Heinen, Bjork, Donato, Cehlarik.....All capable of playing their off-wing. Now, I thought I've read that Donato is more comfortable on the LW, so if that's the case, I don't see why Heinen, Bjork or Cehlarik can't be used there. Heinen is a guy that should be getting a top 6 look anyway. He had a great season as a rookie in a 3rd line role. Bjork, before he got hurt, was a good option there as well. So this pressing need they need a RW is false. They very well could go out and sign one, or go with one of the NHL ready young players they have who showed this past season they can play a top 6 role.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Heinen, Bjork, Donato, Cehlarik.....All capable of playing their off-wing. Now, I thought I've read that Donato is more comfortable on the LW, so if that's the case, I don't see why Heinen, Bjork or Cehlarik can't be used there. Heinen is a guy that should be getting a top 6 look anyway. He had a great season as a rookie in a 3rd line role. Bjork, before he got hurt, was a good option there as well. So this pressing need they need a RW is false. They very well could go out and sign one, or go with one of the NHL ready young players they have who showed this past season they can play a top 6 role.

Outside of heinen there are no options in house that have proven capable of playing in the top 6. And I’m not ecstatic about putting him on his off wing. Bjork maybe at some point but i doubt he’ll be ready to play nhl minutes at the start of the year after surgery. Maybe by November at the earliest he’ll be ready to play. I don’t have much faith in cehlarik to step into a top 6 role. Donato maybe but not his off wing. Preferably, donato or heinen takes over 3rd line center, with whoever isn’t center turns into the 3rd line lw. So that leaves bjork as far as I’m concerned. And I doubt he’ll be at a top 6 level until December. So someone needs to play the first 3rd of the season on the 2nd line and i see no great options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad