Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
You didn't miss much. He got the worst of a bear hug from a smaller and younger guy. Carlo is an awful fighter. He's pissed off though. Fired right up to start the 2nd, had a lot of words for the Cougars bench

17 yr. old, same size as Gabrielle.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
I know I'll see him play a grand total of zero times for the Bruins, unless of course you count the Providence Bruins.

Gotta love it.

Dude's never seen the kid play, but he's telling people he will never make the NHL.....brilliant stuff.

It's like a blind person telling me the color of the jerseys in the NHL.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gotta love it.

Dude's never seen the kid play, but he's telling people he will never make the NHL.....brilliant stuff.

:laugh:

I know right? Beyond preposterous

Posts like that at least sort out those with an agenda

The updates we have been getting on Debrusk show that his two way game is developing a lot this year. I'll take the opinions of those that have actually seen him play

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
WHL Prospect Update

All 3 WHL prospects in play tonight. Thought I'd do a quick weekend recap before watching those.

Can't say enough good things about Brandon Carlo. Since returning to his last place team after WJC, all the Friendly Giant is put the team on his considerable shoulders and make an amazing playoff push. n fact, since returning from WJC, Carlo's team is the 2nd hottest team in the WHL next to Victoria. Carlo himself is +8 in those 20 games with 9 apples, but his impact supercedes the score sheet. He is a defensively responsible defender with great possession skills and a high IQ and he has taken large steps in his game over the past month.

To give an example, for those not familiar with him, reference this shift-by-shift video of Carlo in International play against the Slovaks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfTxroNLvRY&feature=youtu.be

You can see in that video a young man with great tools but raw, showing excellent potential for improvement in his physical game, his mental game and his offensive game.

For those of us who have been watching him closely this past month, it's apparent that he's taken huge strides in all 3 areas.

While not being an intimidating fighter by any stretch, he doesn't back down, but rather steps up and steps in for team mates willingly. Phyiscally, he is throwing ferocious hits now as he is beginning more and more to utilize his size in a menacing way. It's also been a treat watching his passions boil over at times this month, getting a lot more in-the-face of opponents than has been his style. Not in any undisciplined way, but more in an engaging fashion, almost marking his territory with his bite and backing it up with thunderous hits.

Not to get lost in all this, Carlo's offensive game is evolving. He is not going to be Paul Coffee anytime soon, but he is picking his spots efficiently and effectively on the pinch and establishing himself as a competent distributor. He has racked up a nice little 4 game scoring streak over the weekend now and is more noticeable and dangerous on his teams power play than in past.

His team is just a few points out of a playoff spot right now and worth watching closely, as Carlo could be in Providence (or Boston?) as early as March 21 if his team doesn't climb back into the playoff picture.

Jake DeBrusk continue to figure things out in Red Deer. A bit of an up and down run for him statistically, but really, for those of watching - a pretty consistent game from Jake night in and night out, taking care of things that are in his control, playing a responsible 200 foot game pretty effectively.

For those not familiar with Jake, here's a nice little shift-by-shift video which hi-lights some of what he brings to the table aside from his nose for the net;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UgfWoYgGlM&list=PLOgBIUfkk2BNeP03QEfG8ChCn_KaUchaF

Speaking of nose for the net, Jake did pot the game winner in Regina on Monday, breaking a 9 game goal-less streak. Even with the two scoring draught's Jake has endured, he is still a point-per-game player with 18 goals and 53 points in 52 games played this season.

Jesse Gabrielle keeps plugging along. Another goal and another assist over two weekend games on the road brings him to 71 points in 63 games played this year, which does include 38 goals (2nd in the WHL), scored in a variety of ways;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sAaI3DKAD8&feature=youtu.be

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
DeBrusk finding good chemistry tonight on a line with Spacek (WPG, 2015) and Hagel (2016 eligible). 2 goals already in the first. DeBrusk with a pair of apples

jdz

May 22, 2013
All 3 WHL prospects in play tonight. Thought I'd do a quick weekend recap before watching those.

Can't say enough good things about Brandon Carlo. Since returning to his last place team after WJC, all the Friendly Giant is put the team on his considerable shoulders and make an amazing playoff push. n fact, since returning from WJC, Carlo's team is the 2nd hottest team in the WHL next to Victoria. Carlo himself is +8 in those 20 games with 9 apples, but his impact supercedes the score sheet. He is a defensively responsible defender with great possession skills and a high IQ and he has taken large steps in his game over the past month.

To give an example, for those not familiar with him, reference this shift-by-shift video of Carlo in International play against the Slovaks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfTxroNLvRY&feature=youtu.be

You can see in that video a young man with great tools but raw, showing excellent potential for improvement in his physical game, his mental game and his offensive game.

For those of us who have been watching him closely this past month, it's apparent that he's taken huge strides in all 3 areas.

While not being an intimidating fighter by any stretch, he doesn't back down, but rather steps up and steps in for team mates willingly. Phyiscally, he is throwing ferocious hits now as he is beginning more and more to utilize his size in a menacing way. It's also been a treat watching his passions boil over at times this month, getting a lot more in-the-face of opponents than has been his style. Not in any undisciplined way, but more in an engaging fashion, almost marking his territory with his bite and backing it up with thunderous hits.

Not to get lost in all this, Carlo's offensive game is evolving. He is not going to be Paul Coffee anytime soon, but he is picking his spots efficiently and effectively on the pinch and establishing himself as a competent distributor. He has racked up a nice little 4 game scoring streak over the weekend now and is more noticeable and dangerous on his teams power play than in past.

His team is just a few points out of a playoff spot right now and worth watching closely, as Carlo could be in Providence (or Boston?) as early as March 21 if his team doesn't climb back into the playoff picture.

Jake DeBrusk continue to figure things out in Red Deer. A bit of an up and down run for him statistically, but really, for those of watching - a pretty consistent game from Jake night in and night out, taking care of things that are in his control, playing a responsible 200 foot game pretty effectively.

For those not familiar with Jake, here's a nice little shift-by-shift video which hi-lights some of what he brings to the table aside from his nose for the net;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UgfWoYgGlM&list=PLOgBIUfkk2BNeP03QEfG8ChCn_KaUchaF

Speaking of nose for the net, Jake did pot the game winner in Regina on Monday, breaking a 9 game goal-less streak. Even with the two scoring draught's Jake has endured, he is still a point-per-game player with 18 goals and 53 points in 52 games played this season.

Jesse Gabrielle keeps plugging along. Another goal and another assist over two weekend games on the road brings him to 71 points in 63 games played this year, which does include 38 goals (2nd in the WHL), scored in a variety of ways;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sAaI3DKAD8&feature=youtu.be

Terrific work dude. Very much appreciated :handclap::handclap:

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
WHL Quick Hit

A quick update on the night

Brandon Carlo ended up on the wrong end of a 7-2 score. I only caught about 12 minutes of this game, (6 minutes in between 1st and the 2nd), but you would have never knew it was a blowout from the minutes I watched. Carlo was Carlo. Calm , cool, composed, defensive. Even in the blowout loss, he didn't register a dash, so that's something. This is actually a good result for Bruin fans, as it removes his team further from playoff contention, and likely gets him closer to a spoked jersey.
( Twitter: http://twitter.com/1996_Carlo )

Jake DeBrusk was dangerous all night and looks to have chemistry with his new linemates. Jake was +1 with a pair of assists and now has 55 points on the season.
( Twitter: http://twitter.com/JDebrusk )

Jesse Gabrielle did what Jesse Gabrielle does. He scored another goal, bringing him to 39 on the season, and could've easily had 4 on this snake-bitten night. He just knows how to play without the puck, finds open ice and when there is no open ice, he charges the hard areas and competes for pucks and shots on goal. He now has 39 goals and 72 points on the season.
( Twitter: http://twitter.com/JesseGabrielle/ )

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
A quick update on the night

Brandon Carlo ended up on the wrong end of a 7-2 score. I only caught about 12 minutes of this game, (6 minutes in between 1st and the 2nd), but you would have never knew it was a blowout from the minutes I watched. Carlo was Carlo. Calm , cool, composed, defensive. Even in the blowout loss, he didn't register a dash, so that's something. This is actually a good result for Bruin fans, as it removes his team further from playoff contention, and likely gets him closer to a spoked jersey.
( Twitter: http://twitter.com/1996_Carlo )

Jake DeBrusk was dangerous all night and looks to have chemistry with his new linemates. Jake was +1 with a pair of assists and now has 55 points on the season.
( Twitter: http://twitter.com/JDebrusk )

Jesse Gabrielle did what Jesse Gabrielle does. He scored another goal, bringing him to 39 on the season, and could've easily had 4 on this snake-bitten night. He just knows how to play without the puck, finds open ice and when there is no open ice, he charges the hard areas and competes for pucks and shots on goal. He now has 39 goals and 72 points on the season.
( Twitter: http://twitter.com/JesseGabrielle/ )

Is it fair to say Gabrielle is our new Marchand? Is that the right comparison?

Bruins78

Apr 12, 2007
That's awesome! What are the chances he turns pro after the season?

For that matter, a question for all you NCAA watchers - which Bruins prospects do you expect will turn pro in addition to Grizlyck, O'Gara and Kuraly?

Heinnen? Benning? Sherman? Fitzgerald? Bjork? Donato? JFK?

I think Heinen is the only one of that group I'd be open to if I was the Bruins front office. Fitzgerald looks like a guy who may take a couple of years to see if he can develop a role with the B's and wouldn't be negatively affected by going back for his Senior year. I think Sherman, Bjork, Donato and JFK are all no brainers to go back for at least one more year and could see the first three doing two more years.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think Heinen is the only one of that group I'd be open to if I was the Bruins front office. Fitzgerald looks like a guy who may take a couple of years to see if he can develop a role with the B's and wouldn't be negatively affected by going back for his Senior year. I think Sherman, Bjork, Donato and JFK are all no brainers to go back for at least one more year and could see the first three doing two more years.

I agree.

I think it all depends on what the plan is with the left side of the F lineup. If the B's think that Heinen can make the jump, compete with Vatrano, and play 3rd line LW, maybe he comes out. He can play in PRO if he needs seasoning, but I would not be surprised if he goes back to school for another year and comes out as a junior.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
I agree.

I think it all depends on what the plan is with the left side of the F lineup. If the B's think that Heinen can make the jump, compete with Vatrano, and play 3rd line LW, maybe he comes out. He can play in PRO if he needs seasoning, but I would not be surprised if he goes back to school for another year and comes out as a junior.

Maybe I mis-read it, but didn't someone report here that Heinen has played RW all season? I was under the impression he was like Eriksson and Gabrielle, left handed shots that play RW

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Maybe I mis-read it, but didn't someone report here that Heinen has played RW all season? I was under the impression he was like Eriksson and Gabrielle, left handed shots that play RW

Last year I watched between 12-15 Denver games and Heinen was primarily at C between Trevor Moore (L) and Daniel Doremus (R) in the games I saw. All three guys seemed to move around and play C at times, but the games I saw it was mostly Heinen there.

Thus year I have only watched 4 games so far this year and he seems to be in different spots depending on whether it's ES, PP, PK (he does all three). I think the lines were fluid earlier in the season, but the last game I watched he was with Jnr Trevor Moore and F Dylan Gambrell. It appeared that Moore was on the left side for the most part, Gambrell at C, and Heinen at RW. However, Heinen was taking the draws in the left circle and at times Gambrell played the RW.

It looks to me like Heinen can play any of the three F positions comfortably, which is a good thing IMO. I assumed that he would play his natural side in the Pros, given the C situation in Boston, but if they wanted him to play the right side he probably could.

Here's links to highlights of DU's last two games. The first shows Heinen's quick stick and ability to get into the passing lanes on the PK. The second has a nice highlight of him on the PK setting up Gambrell for a SHG:

http://www.nchc.tv/nchc/video/nchc-western-michigan-vs-denver-highlights---2-26-16

http://www.nchc.tv/nchc/video/nchc-western-michigan-vs-denver-highlights---2-27-16

It will be interesting to see if the B's have any interest in Moore as a FA or Gambrell who is a 2016 draft eligible and was just named NCHC rookie of the month. I'm sure they have seen plenty of both.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Two years ago (maybe three?) Gambrell was at the Thunderbirds camp and had all the Seattle scouts drooling. Obviously, he opted against the WHL, but I remember he had everyone in Seattle pretty excited at the prospect of signing him.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
That's awesome! What are the chances he turns pro after the season?

For that matter, a question for all you NCAA watchers - which Bruins prospects do you expect will turn pro in addition to Grizlyck, O'Gara and Kuraly?

Heinnen? Benning? Sherman? Fitzgerald? Bjork? Donato? JFK?

You could talk me into Bjork but I'm not that enthusiastic about it,rest should stay where they are and keep doing what they do
How many CHL players are eligible to play in Provence next year? Do they still have that rule that you have to do three full seasons in that league?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Gotta love it.

I'm leery when someone says "I watched player X play last night" and gives a report on a play made. There is a post on this forum that does exactly that. Problem is they watched diddly squat and looked at the game summary and said "I saw this happen".

Problem is, the game summary was wrong and was corrected two days later - and the video evidence proves differently.

For what it's worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad