Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
In response to Fonz on Carlo last night. It was a quiet game for him on the stat sheet for sure. BUT, he was very engaged, I didn't see him make a bad decision with the puck. Defensively sound and very poised. since they were losing he was pinching a little more and successfully keeping the puck in the zone. He has impressive hands for a defensive minded Dman. He was also jumping in on plays and was on the forecheck a couple times. Skating is definitely not a problem, I didn't notice him get beat on rushes.

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
In response to Fonz on Carlo last night. It was a quiet game for him on the stat sheet for sure. BUT, he was very engaged, I didn't see him make a bad decision with the puck. Defensively sound and very poised. since they were losing he was pinching a little more and successfully keeping the puck in the zone. He has impressive hands for a defensive minded Dman. He was also jumping in on plays and was on the forecheck a couple times. Skating is definitely not a problem, I didn't notice him get beat on rushes.

He is easily the most NHL ready of all last year's picks. High IQ and poise. Excellent skater and not afraid to mix it up. He is our future Tyler Myers.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you

Yeah for sure. You are exactly right. And that's what you can always expect out of him. Extremely reliable. If you are expecting him to dirty up the scoresheet, or if you look at his size alone and are expecting a big mean intimidating presence you will probably be dissappointed. He is more of a friendly giant, Carlo is physical without the nastiness. He more than makes up for his lack of nasty with a high hockey IQ a commitment to defense and strong puck movement. He is a true shut down D with generous size and a long strong stick and a nice first pass. Very rarely out of position. Carlo is everything you want in a shutdown defender in today's game.

He is easily the most NHL ready of all last year's picks. High IQ and poise. Excellent skater and not afraid to mix it up. He is our future Tyler Myers.

You are correct on the high IQ and excellent skating for a big man, but bolded portion, could not be further from the truth. If it came down to Carlo vs a wet paper bag, I'd seriously consider putting my money on the wet paper bag. Not his game at all. But he is sooooooo good at defense, it's easily overlooked.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/19136

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Yeah for sure. You are exactly right. And that's what you can always expect out of him. Extremely reliable. If you are expecting him to dirty up the scoresheet, or if you look at his size alone and are expecting a big mean intimidating presence you will probably be dissappointed. He is more of a friendly giant, Carlo is physical without the nastiness. He more than makes up for his lack of nasty with a high hockey IQ a commitment to defense and strong puck movement. He is a true shut down D with generous size and a long strong stick and a nice first pass. Very rarely out of position. Carlo is everything you want in a shutdown defender in today's game.

You are correct on the high IQ and excellent skating for a big man, but bolded portion, could not be further from the truth. If it came down to Carlo vs a wet paper bag, I'd seriously consider putting my money on the wet paper bag. Not his game at all. But he is sooooooo good at defense, it's easily overlooked.

Whey does Ken Morrow pop into my mind from the wayback machine. He was Potvin's stay at home partner who helped win four Cups.

daleand

Aug 2, 2005
Trail,BC
I also watched Brandon Carlo play in Spokane last night. Having seen him play on TV in the WJC and watching him live I was was really impressed with his size especially height and wing span. For a guy his size he is a wonderful skater and a very sound defensive player. He is not a spectacular player in that the offensive part of the game is not something that comes easy to him. He did lead a couple of rushes up ice where he took charge and looked good doing it, but there were lots of other times where he didn't make himself available and jump into an opening to become part of an offensive opportunity. He seemed to hold his position rather than try to anticipate getting to a soft spot to make something happen. I know there is merit in not getting caught out of position but I like to see more offense in the game. He does take the body but was not a punishing hitter. He plays on a weak team and being one of the leaders and a guy his size playing against players his own age, I just would like to see him with all his attributes take charge and set the tone in the game either with a big hit or scoring chance. I left with being impressed but wanting more and the potential is certainly there to be more of an impact player. If that never happens I'm sure we will be very happy with the Bruins having him out there on a big penalty kill, or preserving a lead late in a game.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Star Wars - 3rd Edition

Star Wars - 3rd Edition

Just for a different angle, here's an updated summary of the game stars recieved by junior prospects. Getting the opinion straight from the pros in the arena's at the games our prospects are playing in. Just another perspective.

It's pretty hard to get a game star, considering 40 players dress every game. Statistically, a player has a 7.5% chance of being deemed a player who made enough of an impact on the game to be one of it's 3 stars and there is a 2.5% chance that player will have been deemed to have made enough of an impact to be selected as a first star.

Considering those tiny percentages, 7.5% and 2.5%, our prospects are raking it in almost accross the board.

Listed in order of game stars, as chosen by the pros on hand in the rinks they play in;

Jesse Gabrielle (Prince George Cougars/WHL) -14 Game Stars (24% of games played)
  • - 59 GP, 37G, 32A, 69pts, +9, 88 PIM
  • - leads team in goals, points, ppg, plus-minus for forwards, 4th in PIMs
  • - WHL Player of the Week (ending October 26th)
  • - 2nd in WHL in goals scored
  • - #1 in WHL in short-handed goals scored
  • - 13th in WHL in total points
1st - 5 first Star
2nd - 4 2nd Star
3rd - 5 third Star

Zach Senyshyn (SSM Greyhounds/OHL) - 12 Game Stars (22% of games played)
  • - 55 GP, 35G, 17A, 52pts, +5, 50 PIMs
  • - leads team in goals
  • - Named to 2015 OHL/Russia Super Series
  • - #6 in OHL goals scored
1st - 8 first Star
2nd - 1 2nd Star
3rd - 3 third Star

Jake DeBrusk (Red Deer Rebels/WHL) - 8 Game Stars (14% of games played)
  • - 49 GP, 17G, 34A, 51pts, +7, 28 PIM
  • - highly sought after, traded to Memorial Cup Host Red Deer Rebels
  • - Named to 2015 WHL/Russia Super Series (injured: didn't play)
1st - 3 first Star
2nd - 2 2nd Star
3rd - 3 third Star

Jeremy Lauzon (Ryoun-Noranda Huskies/QMJHL) - 5 Game Stars (18% of games played)
  • - 36 GP, 6G, 32A, 38 pts, +29, 60 PIMs
  • - Named to 2015 QMJHL/Russia Super Series
  • - Invited to Hockey Canada Selection Camp
1st - 0
2nd - 2 2nd Star
3rd - 3 third Star

Daniel Vladar (Chicago Steel / USHL) - 4 Game Stars (19% of games played)
  • - 21GP, 7-8-1-3, 2.20 GAA, .921 SV% (3 shut outs)
  • - leads his team in goaltending, 2nd ranked goalie in USHL
  • - USHL Goaltender of the Week (week ending 11/30/15)
  • - Named backup goaltender with Team Czech at 2016 WJC
1st - 2 first Star
2nd - 0
3rd - 2 third Star

Jakub Zboril (Saint Johns Seadogs / QMJHL) - 3 Game Stars (8% of games played)
  • - 38 GP, 5G, 12A, 17pts, +10, 36 PIMs
  • - 5 GP, 0G, 1A, 1pts, +2, 31 PIMs (Team Czech)
  • - Played with Team Czech at 2016 WJC
1st - 1 first Star
2nd - 0
3rd - 2 third Star

Brandon Carlo (Tri-City Americans/WHL) 2 Game Star (5% of games played)
  • - 38 GP, 2G, 17A, 19 pts, +1, 73 PIM
  • - 7 GP, 2G, 2A, 4pts, +9, 4 PIM (Team USA)
  • - Captured Bronze Medal with Team USA at 2016 WJC
1st - 1 first Star
2nd - 1 2nd Star
3rd - 0

The first edition of Star Wars, (to December 4/2015), posted here;
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=110287221&highlight=#post110287221

The second edition of Star Wars, (to January 9/2016), posted here;
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=111913241&highlight=star+wars#post111913241

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Star Wars - 3rd Edition

Just for a different angle, here's an updated summary of the game stars recieved by junior prospects. Getting the opinion straight from the pros in the arena's at the games our prospects are playing in. Just another perspective.

It's pretty hard to get a game star, considering 40 players dress every game. Statistically, a player has a 7.5% chance of being deemed a player who made enough of an impact on the game to be one of it's 3 stars and there is a 2.5% chance that player will have been deemed to have made enough of an impact to be selected as a first star.

Considering those tiny percentages, 7.5% and 2.5%, our prospects are raking it in almost accross the board.

Listed in order of game stars, as chosen by the pros on hand in the rinks they play in;

Jesse Gabrielle (Prince George Cougars/WHL) -14 Game Stars (24% of games played)
  • - 59 GP, 37G, 32A, 69pts, +9, 88 PIM
  • - leads team in goals, points, ppg, plus-minus for forwards, 4th in PIMs
  • - WHL Player of the Week (ending October 26th)
  • - 2nd in WHL in goals scored
  • - #1 in WHL in short-handed goals scored
  • - 13th in WHL in total points
1st - 5 first Star
2nd - 4 2nd Star
3rd - 5 third Star

Zach Senyshyn (SSM Greyhounds/OHL) - 12 Game Stars (22% of games played)
  • - 55 GP, 35G, 17A, 52pts, +5, 50 PIMs
  • - leads team in goals
  • - Named to 2015 OHL/Russia Super Series
  • - #6 in OHL goals scored
1st - 8 first Star
2nd - 1 2nd Star
3rd - 3 third Star

Jake DeBrusk (Red Deer Rebels/WHL) - 8 Game Stars (14% of games played)
  • - 49 GP, 17G, 34A, 51pts, +7, 28 PIM
  • - highly sought after, traded to Memorial Cup Host Red Deer Rebels
  • - Named to 2015 WHL/Russia Super Series (injured: didn't play)
1st - 3 first Star
2nd - 2 2nd Star
3rd - 3 third Star

Jeremy Lauzon (Ryoun-Noranda Huskies/QMJHL) - 5 Game Stars (18% of games played)
  • - 36 GP, 6G, 32A, 38 pts, +29, 60 PIMs
  • - Named to 2015 QMJHL/Russia Super Series
  • - Invited to Hockey Canada Selection Camp
1st - 0
2nd - 2 2nd Star
3rd - 3 third Star

Daniel Vladar (Chicago Steel / USHL) - 4 Game Stars (19% of games played)
  • - 21GP, 7-8-1-3, 2.20 GAA, .921 SV% (3 shut outs)
  • - leads his team in goaltending, 2nd ranked goalie in USHL
  • - USHL Goaltender of the Week (week ending 11/30/15)
  • - Named backup goaltender with Team Czech at 2016 WJC
1st - 2 first Star
2nd - 0
3rd - 2 third Star

Jakub Zboril (Saint Johns Seadogs / QMJHL) - 3 Game Stars (8% of games played)
  • - 38 GP, 5G, 12A, 17pts, +10, 36 PIMs
  • - 5 GP, 0G, 1A, 1pts, +2, 31 PIMs (Team Czech)
  • - Played with Team Czech at 2016 WJC
1st - 1 first Star
2nd - 0
3rd - 2 third Star

Brandon Carlo (Tri-City Americans/WHL) 2 Game Star (5% of games played)
  • - 38 GP, 2G, 17A, 19 pts, +1, 73 PIM
  • - 7 GP, 2G, 2A, 4pts, +9, 4 PIM (Team USA)
  • - Captured Bronze Medal with Team USA at 2016 WJC
1st - 1 first Star
2nd - 1 2nd Star
3rd - 0

The first edition of Star Wars, (to December 4/2015), posted here;
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=110287221&highlight=#post110287221

The second edition of Star Wars, (to January 9/2016), posted here;
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=111913241&highlight=star+wars#post111913241

Great job! :handclap:

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Henry_Winkler_Fonz_290x400.jpg

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Just getting ready to watch the first leg of the Bruins prospect double-header tonight.

Game 1 has Jeremy Lauzon's Huskies in action tonight. Just going over some notes prior to the game. I didn't realize until just now that the Huskies starting goalie, Chase Marchand, is Brad Marchand's cousin. That's an interesting tie in.

Game 2 is another head-to-head with Carlo's Americans hosting Gabrielle's Cougars in the first of two meetings this week.

indy

Oct 18, 2015
Just getting ready to watch the first leg of the Bruins prospect double-header tonight.

Game 1 has Jeremy Lauzon's Huskies in action tonight. Just going over some notes prior to the game. I didn't realize until just now that the Huskies starting goalie, Chase Marchand, is Brad Marchand's cousin. That's an interesting tie in.

Game 2 is another head-to-head with Carlo's Americans hosting Gabrielle's Cougars in the first of two meetings this week.

Hey Fonz? No Lauzon tonight?

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands

I also watched Brandon Carlo play in Spokane last night. Having seen him play on TV in the WJC and watching him live I was was really impressed with his size especially height and wing span. For a guy his size he is a wonderful skater and a very sound defensive player. He is not a spectacular player in that the offensive part of the game is not something that comes easy to him. He did lead a couple of rushes up ice where he took charge and looked good doing it, but there were lots of other times where he didn't make himself available and jump into an opening to become part of an offensive opportunity. He seemed to hold his position rather than try to anticipate getting to a soft spot to make something happen. I know there is merit in not getting caught out of position but I like to see more offense in the game. He does take the body but was not a punishing hitter. He plays on a weak team and being one of the leaders and a guy his size playing against players his own age, I just would like to see him with all his attributes take charge and set the tone in the game either with a big hit or scoring chance. I left with being impressed but wanting more and the potential is certainly there to be more of an impact player. If that never happens I'm sure we will be very happy with the Bruins having him out there on a big penalty kill, or preserving a lead late in a game.

Just wanted to give some people who can only see updates on stats know of the positives.
His offensive part of his game will come. I'm ok with him not jumping in on plays. I like how he picks and chooses when to jump in on plays. His first pass will generate enough offense since it allows for less time in our own end. On a team losing a lot of games I can see a immature Dman jumping in on plays and taking more risks to produce points. I think he's doing great, shows good IQ and discipline. CJ will enjoy coaching him I think.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Carlo in beast mode tonight. Playing his usual top shelf defense but also creating the best scoring chances on the ice, one of which led to the games only goal so far. Also showing a bit of a mean streak with a nasty hit on the Cougars big euro. Best player on the ice tonight by far through one period.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Any update on Max Chudinov? At the beginning of the season there was speculation that he may finally come over at the end of his KHL season. With the drop in the value of the ruble, franchises may feel the crunch in making payroll.

Twenty five yr. old right shooting D man with experience at a high level. Bruins have his rights only until July.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Carlo stayed in beast mode all night. In my opinion, noticeably the best player on the ice this night, a 4-1 Tri-City win. Carlo finished +2 with a pair of assists and a couple big hits, but his signature all night was excellent pint point passing. He recieved a 3rd star for his efforts, but I would've given him a #1

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Just wanted to give some people who can only see updates on stats know of the positives.
His offensive part of his game will come. I'm ok with him not jumping in on plays. I like how he picks and chooses when to jump in on plays. His first pass will generate enough offense since it allows for less time in our own end. On a team losing a lot of games I can see a immature Dman jumping in on plays and taking more risks to produce points. I think he's doing great, shows good IQ and discipline. CJ will enjoy coaching him I think.

Carlo's offensive ability was on display more with the WJC team than it is with Tri-City. If I had to guess, he's probably one of those guys who will only jump into the play when he's confident the D side is covered by someone else? On a mediocre TC team, he may not get that opportunity much?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Any update on Max Chudinov? At the beginning of the season there was speculation that he may finally come over at the end of his KHL season. With the drop in the value of the ruble, franchises may feel the crunch in making payroll.

Twenty five yr. old right shooting D man with experience at a high level. Bruins have his rights only until July.

When I spoke with Dom last week, he was waiting on confirmation of reports that Chudinov had signed an extension. Three days ago he tweeted that Chud had not signed the extension yet.

Stay tuned....

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
When I spoke with Dom last week, he was waiting on confirmation of reports that Chudinov had signed an extension. Three days ago he tweeted that Chud had not signed the extension yet.

Stay tuned....

any chance you/anyone else could refresh me on the style Chudinov plays Glory? Thx

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
any chance you/anyone else could refresh me on the style Chudinov plays Glory? Thx

I'm the wrong guy for that, as I have not seen him play in years (except for highlights).

There was this:

Not much of a biased call for Canada there :laugh:

I thought that Giroux milked that, even though it was late. LOL at Schenn pounding the non-fighter Alexandrov and being all proud of himself. Good call on Schenn there Pierre...

If he still plays with that kind of edge, sign me up.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm the wrong guy for that, as I have not seen him play in years (except for highlights).

There was this:

Not much of a biased call for Canada there :laugh:

I thought that Giroux milked that, even though it was late. LOL at Schenn pounding the non-fighter Alexandrov and being all proud of himself. Good call on Schenn there Pierre...

If he still plays with that kind of edge, sign me up.

Nice, thx, Giroux diving or embellishing? Odd, don`t see that much:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad