Rumor: Bruins preparing offer sheet for Jacob Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighFlyingJets

Sep 30, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I completely disagree. I believe all 4 will be top 10 picks, and at least one top 3. Boston's best players are in decline and their prospect pool is full of middling players. I think the B's are on their way down the standings as it is.

When Trouba isn't enough to make the playoffs, heads could very well roll. It's ok to be patient with a rebuild, but if you're dropping your next 4 years worth of 1st round picks, you're pretty sure that you've made yourself a pretty good hockey team. A miscalculation on this scale could put the Bruins in the basement for up to a decade, and Sweeney will quickly lose the trust of ownership. A new GM will have to shed assets like crazy to re-aquire the picks needed to start rebuilding.

If it goes this way, we'll see the birth of an NHL dynasty not seen in the league for a long time!

Chicago? :sarcasm:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I completely disagree. I believe all 4 will be top 10 picks, and at least one top 3. Boston's best players are in decline and their prospect pool is full of middling players. I think the B's are on their way down the standings as it is.

When Trouba isn't enough to make the playoffs, heads could very well roll. It's ok to be patient with a rebuild, but if you're dropping your next 4 years worth of 1st round picks, you're pretty sure that you've made yourself a pretty good hockey team. A miscalculation on this scale could put the Bruins in the basement for up to a decade, and Sweeney will quickly lose the trust of ownership. A new GM will have to shed assets like crazy to re-aquire the picks needed to start rebuilding.

If it goes this way, we'll see the birth of an NHL dynasty not seen in the league for a long time!

That's certainly possible - but I don't know if it's likely. Big US franchises with cachet like the O6 Bruins have a lot of tools at their disposal to turn things around. They're willing to buy out players, they're a preferred destination for many of the best UFAs and they just seem more willing or able to make changes if things aren't working out. Sweeney looks like a dud, but he won't last long if he can't get the team into the playoffs. There's still a lot of talent on that team - too much to be in the basement for the next 4 years I think. They add Trouba, make some smart UFA signings, and a couple of their prospects pan out and they're likely in the playoff hunt. Losing those 4 1sts guarantees they will move heaven and earth to avoid a bottom-out rebuild.

Everyone's thinking best-case-scenario with these 4 x 1st rounders all being Top 10, but I think it'd be more realistic to assume those picks will fall in the middle of the round.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
That's certainly possible - but I don't know if it's likely. Big US franchises with cachet like the O6 Bruins have a lot of tools at their disposal to turn things around. They're willing to buy out players, they're a preferred destination for many of the best UFAs and they just seem more willing or able to make changes if things aren't working out. Sweeney looks like a dud, but he won't last long if he can't get the team into the playoffs. There's still a lot of talent on that team - too much to be in the basement for the next 4 years I think. They add Trouba, make some smart UFA signings, and a couple of their prospects pan out and they're likely in the playoff hunt. Losing those 4 1sts guarantees they will move heaven and earth to avoid a bottom-out rebuild.

Everyone's thinking best-case-scenario with these 4 x 1st rounders all being Top 10, but I think it'd be more realistic to assume those picks will fall in the middle of the round.

I have to agree. While the writing may be on the wall that the Bruins are on the downswing, I'm not convinced that it's a given that they'll be bottoming out.

They still have a decent core of Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci and Rask. Rask alone gives them a chance and keeps them respectable.

Plus like you said, they are one of the more popular free agent destinations.

Getting two top 10 picks (optimistic) and two mid to late teen picks might be more realistic .

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I have to agree. While the writing may be on the wall that the Bruins are on the downswing, I'm not convinced that it's a given that they'll be bottoming out.

They still have a decent core of Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci and Rask. Rask alone gives them a chance and keeps them respectable.

Plus like you said, they are one of the more popular free agent destinations.

Getting two top 10 picks (optimistic) and two mid to late teen picks might be more realistic .

I think as Boston grasps harder at their fistful of sand, the more apparent it will be to UFAs that they're a long way from contending and moving in the wrong direction. Boston is a great city and their team has a lot of tradition, but nothing attracts free agents like a chance at the cup. People see the insane talent that McDavid has and all of a sudden players seem to think Edmonton is a great place to be. I have to think it works both ways.

That said, I guess we have almost 4 years before we'll know the truth of it for sure.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
If Trouba does get an offer sheet, does it have to be today? Or could one come tomorrow as well?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If Trouba does get an offer sheet, does it have to be today? Or could one come tomorrow as well?

It can come anytime until he is signed.

Players who file for arbitration lose the opportunity to sign an offersheet but Trouba is not yet eligible to do that.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
My guess is.... that Trouba stays a Jet :nod:

My guess as well. My own opinion is that there is a lot of smoke indicating one or both sides would like to move trouba, but we won't get the overpay that the jets look for so he stays.

My opinion for the past couple of years has been that both side would prefer a trade.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Would the Jets match this deal?

16/17 $10M ($9M sb)
17/18 $10M ($9M sb)
18/19 $8M ($7M sb)
19/20 $6M ($5M sb)
20/21 $5M ($4M sb) - potential lockout season
21/22 $5M ($4M sb)
22/23 $5M ($4M sb)

- AAV $7M
- lockout and buyout proof
- current exchage rate $10M = $13M ish CDN

I hope to god they wouldn't. Trouba isn't there yet and as a young defenseman's development slows he has less chance of reaching his ultimate potential.

I love Trouba but that is far too steep.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I hope to god they wouldn't. Trouba isn't there yet and as a young defenseman's development slows he has less chance of reaching his ultimate potential.

I love Trouba but that is far too steep.

It's still four first round picks...so i ****ing hope not.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It's still four first round picks...so i ****ing hope not.

Right. I know we are very enamoured with JT around here but we have to be smart about this.

I take the 4 firsts and RUN. You can do a lot with that kind of currency. You could get players for now and for later to make this team a contender for years and years.

I would have also done a Hall for Trouba deal straight up. Sure, Hall has been injured, and that could become a career theme but man what a player. I do know that it throws the Jets out of balance somewhat as we are trading from a position of weakness to a position of strength but the best, Cup contending teams need 3 good lines and Hall instantly makes our top 9 much better. We could then use some of our forward assets and FA to properly bolster the left side of our D instead of having a righty play left.

JMO

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Right. I know we are very enamoured with JT around here but we have to be smart about this.

I take the 4 firsts and RUN. You can do a lot with that kind of currency. You could get players for now and for later to make this team a contender for years and years.

I would have also done a Hall for Trouba deal straight up. Sure, Hall has been injured, and that could become a career theme but man what a player. I do know that it throws the Jets out of balance somewhat as we are trading from a position of weakness to a position of strength but the best, Cup contending teams need 3 good lines and Hall instantly makes our top 9 much better. We could then use some of our forward assets and FA to properly bolster the left side of our D instead of having a righty play left.

JMO

Yup agreed. I would have had a hard time turning down Hall for Trouba.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Sweeney say it ain't happening. Hope Haggerty and Murphy enjoyedbtheir fun and cementing their credibility

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
via General Fanager:

Bruins have 8.531M cap space.

That's with 4 roster spots open -- two of them will go to Colin Miller and probably Joe Morrow.

After the Backes/Liles/Khudobin signings, they don't even have the cap space for a 6M AAV offersheet. This thread is pretty much done.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
via General Fanager:

Bruins have 8.531M cap space.

That's with 4 roster spots open -- two of them will go to Colin Miller and probably Joe Morrow.

After the Backes/Liles/Khudobin signings, they don't even have the cap space for a 6M AAV offersheet. This thread is pretty much done.

Agree. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad