Rumor: Bruins preparing offer sheet for Jacob Trouba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I think this was probably just a load of Pure Manure and the guy who started the speculation is now backtracking so he can say he didn't think it would happen anyway.

It's just ridiculous. Isn't this topic kind of like giving Eklund 12 13 pages?

Isn't this guy the Boston equivalent of Eklund?

4 firsts for Trouba? Give me a break, he's good but he's not that good.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
NHL Free Agency: Boston media and the curious case of Jacob Trouba's offer sheet

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/...agency-jacob-trouba-boston-bruins-offer-sheet

More to the point-where did this rumor break? Where did it come from? Who has the inside track to this seismic change in attitude of the Bruins front office? Can we find any clues here?

Most NHL national media sources are citing CSNNE as the place where the first official report came out. At
this point, if you're a close follower of Boston media, alarm bells should be ringing
They certainly were for me...so I went looking back through NHL media sources and social media to see if I could find out the first report of this rumor...and...well, here it was.
([Murphy tweet snipped)

Ah yes, Jimmy Murphy. We know all about Jimmy Murphy. As one of Boston's foremost hockey gossip-mongers and hot-take merchants, he's well known for throwing out all sorts of "insider" information. The trouble is...it very, very rarely turns out to be true.

The thing is, though... unlike our old friend Eklund, people still listen to "Murph." And this is where we see the Trouba rumor take off.

You see, where Jimmy Murphy is around, Joe Haggerty is not far behind. The CSNNE reporter is jelly to Murphy's peanut butter. Like lightning following thunder or rubberneckers looking at a car crash, when Murphy tweets something, Haggerty is on the scene and throwing his voice and opinion around moments later, as welcome as a fart in a bank vault. As two men with a well-known friendship, he'll often cite Murphy too, despite the numerous previous occasions Murphy's been wrong.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
from Elliot Friedman:
14. Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said there was one offer that made him think about dropping from the No. 2 spot. My guess is that was the Blue Jackets, but I’m not 100 per cent certain of the offer.

15. The Jacob Trouba offer sheet story from CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty fills in some blanks, including: why was Boston trying to move down in the draft on Friday night? The obvious answer is the Bruins knew they could have selected Trent Frederic lower than 29th, and wanted to get extra assets while still landing their man. However, the offer-sheet possibility reveals another motive: to try and regain their 2017 second-rounder (now owned by New Jersey for Lee Stempniak) or 2017 third-rounder (to Philadelphia for Zac Rinaldo). Any offer sheet with an average annual value between $3,755,233 to $9,388,080 involves one or both of those selections. The picks offered as compensation must be your original choices — you can’t acquire someone else’s selection and offer it up instead. So, if you don’t have yours, you must get it back.

Haggerty suggested the Bruins might offer a seven-year contract to pressure Winnipeg, but I wonder if the actual play is what Vancouver considered with Jamie Benn in 2012. That’s a one-year deal at the $9M-plus figure, because it forces the Jets to qualify Trouba at that number as long as he’s a restricted free agent. In his case, that’s three more seasons. If you’re the Bruins and you’re actually doing this, you’ve probably worked out a “nudge-nudge, wink-wink, does she like photography?” with the agent (Kurt Overhardt) for a long-term deal at a more manageable value starting in 2017-18.

16. Now, you always assume the aggrieved party (the Jets, in this case) will match. Haggerty’s taking some heat for his story, but I don’t think he’s wrong about the fact the Bruins considered the idea.

I have a theory about this situation. Some of his sources in Boston were around when Phil Kessel went to Toronto. You’ll remember the Maple Leafs floated the possibility of an offer sheet, so the Bruins made a trade. Last year, Chicago worried about an offer sheet for Brandon Saad, so the Blackhawks made a trade. Things like this get out for a reason. Would it surprise anyone if the Bruins are floating a trial balloon to see if Winnipeg is willing to make a deal? The secrecy-crazy Jets won’t like it, but it’s not the worst strategy ever. Pressure’s worked before, and sometimes it’s even worked for the team being pressured.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Forgetting the offer sheet.... if the Bruins offered my their next four 1st round picks straight up for Trouba... I think I would have to take it. Can you imagine the Bruins playing like Edmonton for the next 4 seasons...and having their picks...

Trouba is going to cost a pretty penny if the Jets want to keep him. By the looks of it he will continue to be playing on the left side, as long as Myers and Buff are still here, which he may not be enamored with. Sure Trouba is a talent, but could he be replaced by trading one of those picks?

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Forgetting the offer sheet.... if the Bruins offered my their next four 1st round picks straight up for Trouba... I think I would have to take it. Can you imagine the Bruins playing like Edmonton for the next 4 seasons...and having their picks...

Trouba is going to cost a pretty penny if the Jets want to keep him. By the looks of it he will continue to be playing on the left side, as long as Myers and Buff are still here, which he may not be enamored with. Sure Trouba is a talent, but could he be replaced by trading one of those picks?

Trade picks. Overpay some free agent vets to fill the gaps for the time being. Throw Morrissey into the fire to take Trouba's spot. They could make it work if they opted to take the picks. 4 1st round picks sounds bizarre though. In this lottery format era. It could setup a team for a long time depending on what those picks became. Still cannot see the Bruins doing this. It is insanity. Trouba would need to become Pronger.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I have a theory about this situation. Some of his sources in Boston were around when Phil Kessel went to Toronto. You’ll remember the Maple Leafs floated the possibility of an offer sheet, so the Bruins made a trade. Last year, Chicago worried about an offer sheet for Brandon Saad, so the Blackhawks made a trade. Things like this get out for a reason. Would it surprise anyone if the Bruins are floating a trial balloon to see if Winnipeg is willing to make a deal? The secrecy-crazy Jets won’t like it, but it’s not the worst strategy ever. Pressure’s worked before, and sometimes it’s even worked for the team being pressured.

I'll see your skullduggery and raise you a conspiracy theory. The Jets are actually behind this. They want to trade Trouba, and let's just say it's for expansion draft reasons. They know this won't be a popular move, so Chevy and Sweeney agree that a "rumour" will be circulated about a ridiculous offer sheet coming from the Bruins. Then Chevy gets his lackey at the Free Press (Wiecek) to write this article:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...if-jets-play-trouba-card-right-384895601.html

Basically, you show those big, bad Beantowners what for by trading Trouba to one of their division rivals, like Montreal. Suddenly, in the eyes of the public, the Jets are geniuses for trading Trouba. It all makes sense. ;)

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
I'll see your skullduggery and raise you a conspiracy theory. The Jets are actually behind this. They want to trade Trouba, and let's just say it's for expansion draft reasons. They know this won't be a popular move, so Chevy and Sweeney agree that a "rumour" will be circulated about a ridiculous offer sheet coming from the Bruins. Then Chevy gets his lackey at the Free Press (Wiecek) to write this article:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...if-jets-play-trouba-card-right-384895601.html

Basically, you show those big, bad Beantowners what for by trading Trouba to one of their division rivals, like Montreal. Suddenly, in the eyes of the public, the Jets are geniuses for trading Trouba. It all makes sense. ;)

It's not my theory. It's Elliot Friedman's theory.

hurricanedave

Apr 19, 2012
from Elliot Friedman:

14. Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said there was one offer that made him think about dropping from the No. 2 spot. My guess is that was the Blue Jackets, but I’m not 100 per cent certain of the offer.

15. The Jacob Trouba offer sheet story from CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty fills in some blanks, including: why was Boston trying to move down in the draft on Friday night? The obvious answer is the Bruins knew they could have selected Trent Frederic lower than 29th, and wanted to get extra assets while still landing their man. However, the offer-sheet possibility reveals another motive: to try and regain their 2017 second-rounder (now owned by New Jersey for Lee Stempniak) or 2017 third-rounder (to Philadelphia for Zac Rinaldo). Any offer sheet with an average annual value between $3,755,233 to $9,388,080 involves one or both of those selections. The picks offered as compensation must be your original choices — you can’t acquire someone else’s selection and offer it up instead. So, if you don’t have yours, you must get it back.

Haggerty suggested the Bruins might offer a seven-year contract to pressure Winnipeg, but I wonder if the actual play is what Vancouver considered with Jamie Benn in 2012. That’s a one-year deal at the $9M-plus figure, because it forces the Jets to qualify Trouba at that number as long as he’s a restricted free agent. In his case, that’s three more seasons. If you’re the Bruins and you’re actually doing this, you’ve probably worked out a “nudge-nudge, wink-wink, does she like photography?†with the agent (Kurt Overhardt) for a long-term deal at a more manageable value starting in 2017-18.

16. Now, you always assume the aggrieved party (the Jets, in this case) will match. Haggerty’s taking some heat for his story, but I don’t think he’s wrong about the fact the Bruins considered the idea.

There is one big difference between the Kessel, Saad, and Trouba situations. It's all nice and speculative but the Bruins and Hawks were up against the cap in those situations, the Jets are nowhere near the cap. I know people will mention that the Jets have an internal budget but there is little evidence to support this other than the Jets not spending to the cap. The rebuttal to not spending to the cap is the Jets never had the players available to them to spend that kind of money on, as a Jets fan I am aware that it's not the most desirable market for top end talent.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I think this plays out as a trade for 3 first rounders (or two and a defenseman) for Trouba. I would be fine with this.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
It is hard to imagine the Jets doing that. Forced to accept a trade under duress doesn't seem like a Chipman/Thompsom sort of activity. I am betting on 4 1st's or nothing. I doubt that would open the flood gates for other teams take a shot at future Jets stars. The price and the quality of player here are not a match. Not at all.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I think this plays out as a trade for 3 first rounders (or two and a defenseman) for Trouba. I would be fine with this.

How did you reach that conclusion?

1) IMO Trouba is not for sale.

2) The B's are lacking the picks to offersheet him anything short of a massive overpayment requiring 4 1sts.

3) Why the f would we help out the B's and take anything less than that?

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Maybe Seidenberg buyout is clearing Cap Space for Trouba offer sheet? And/or possibly extending Marchand.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Man having 8 first rounders over the next 4 years could potentially solve ANY problem this team has at any position.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Since the Jets have the capspace if the Bruins where trying to force a trade the initial proposal would be 4 1st round picks for an overpaid Trouba. The benefit for the Bruins of not offersheeting Trouba is they get to pay him market value. Market Value Trouba is worth more than overpaid Trouba, therefore the Jets would need 4 1st round picks + in a trade scenario.

Using the Kessel situation, Burke could have offersheeted him for 1st, 2nd and 3rd round compensation and the Bruins wouldn't have been able to match but instead they worked out a trade for 2 1sts and a second. More than what he would have had to give under an offer sheet but Burke could feel better about it because of his own personal moral compass. (He had just challenged someone to fight in a barn over the issue not long beforehand.) Anyhow, that 3rd round pick turned into Dougie Hamilton because of it.

Maybe getting Zboril or McAvoy as already drafted prospects replaces the + because they're further along in their development then a first round pick in 2020 would be.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Exactly. Doesn't full a need. Same thing with all these rumours about Landeskog and stuff. We don't need any more forwards.

Winnipeg needs dman more than anything. Hellebuyck appears ready, Comrie is developing and should be just as good.

Up front we are on paper stacked for the future. Laine should be just as good if not better than Matthews, Connor was the best NCAA player last year, Nik Ehlers will probably hit the 30 goal mark, Scheifele I think will be a PPG man this year, Wheeler is in his prime and a leader, Little can score, and we have several prospects who need to get NHL time to see what we really have. Another forward would just make someone else expendable and the domino effect would be detrimental.

The thought of 4 1st rounders is incredibly enticing and I would jump on it. Boston doesn't seem to have much in direction. I am of the opinion they have wasted 1st round picks and that none of them will be studs. Subban and Zboril are 8's and the rest are 7.5 or less. All it takes is 1 missed playoffs and we could recoup Trouba. If they are a lottery contender (bottom 5) I would be laughing to the bank and if they go the Oilers route... wow.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
We just got to do a deal where we can dump Pavelec at the same time.

But still hoping Trouba signs Boston's offer sheet and becomes a Bruin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad