Post-Game Talk: Bruins over Winnipeg 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Stu has been hot garbage this year- it is infuriating to watch. I knew he didn't bring much talent-wise but this year - he actually looks like he's forgotten how to play hockey.

I am all for a higher draft pick - but I really cannot stand watching a player who clearly has no business on that ice surface when other options are available.

Truly is embarrassing...

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Stu has been hot garbage this year- it is infuriating to watch. I knew he didn't bring much talent-wise but this year - he actually looks like he's forgotten how to play hockey.

I am all for a higher draft pick - but I really cannot stand watching a player who clearly has no business on that ice surface when other options are available.

Truly is embarrassing...

What truly bothers me is that why on earth is Postma not playing over him? Hell even Pardy? This stuff baffles me, it was on Chevy for signing Stu to such a stupid contract, its on Pomo for refusing to believe his eyes.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Pretty crappy game, Bruins seemed to block a lot of shots and with Rask in net nothing is easy.

Jets started out pretty strong but then again only the Little line seemed fully engaged.

Rather "Cam Newton Superbowl like performance" from the rest of the team!:help:

Really don't think the Jets are getting the coaching they could/need be if they had better head coach! Can't see Mo getting this team to the next level. Team seemed unprepared to play once again. Really don't know why he made the goalie change, sure Helly let in 3 but a couple really weren't on totally on him.

Stuart is god awful friggin useless, how Mo can keep plugging him in defies logic, Pardy and Postma are not as bad as Mo makes them out to be, but keep trotting out Stu and keep getting the same results Mo, what a coach!:shakehead:rant:

This is my biggest beef with the coach. Why he insists on playing Stuart night after awful friggin' night is beyond me. Not saying Postma or Pardy are saviours - but either one of them would have to be an upgrade...:help:

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
This is my biggest beef with the coach. Why he insists on playing Stuart night after awful friggin' night is beyond me. Not saying Postma or Pardy are saviours - but either one of them would have to be an upgrade...:help:

One of my beefs as well- part of coaching is icing the best lineup you can. I would argue that giving Stu some popcorn duty might actually help him- let's face it -certainly would not hurt.
My patience with PoMo is certainly diminishing this year

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I hear you but I think it has allot more to do with the organization just being too loyal to Mark and he is untouchable. I remember when coach was saying earlier in the season that Pardy, Postma, and Chiarot were going to have to fight for games but for the life of me I have no idea why he would leave Stu out of that equation?

When it comes to Postma Garret has done a good job of illustrating what the raw numbers say which is that by every meaningful measurable category Paul has a more positive impact on driving wins based on results in actual games than Mark. Then there is the puzzling part that if there were actual issues with how he prepared, practiced, and or other why would they have signed him to a new 2 year deal?

Honestly HannuJ I think it comes down to a blind spot Maurice has towards Mark and any of the really high character guys that are poster boys for the right way to be a teammate and a professional. Possibly its also a clash stylistically. For whatever reason Paul is in Paul's dog house despite him being a better player than Mark? Something might be happening behind the scenes but it hasn't impacted the actual results on the ice to justify the purgatory.

Agree 100%

#FreePostma

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Bad part about Stuart is you can booooo him until your head falls off and everyone thinks you are cheering stuuuuuu

It's like the Simpsons are they saying boooo or booerns?

You could try hissing but people would just assume you're saying SSSSSSSSSSSStu.

In the case of both Thorburn and Stuart, I was over the moon knowing that their contracts were nearly up - the fact that they were extended darn near blew my mind.

We hear repeatedly about how strong the room is and the leadership that is in there, but the Jets are still willing to use two roster spots on supplemental leadership pieces - pieces that can't play hockey.

I don't get it and these deals along with Ondrej have definitely been my biggest reasons to doubt our GM.

The "leadership" and "character" stuff is the vilest bull****. IMO teams with good leadership and character don't fall apart as often as the Jets do, or fail to show up at all. I'm guessing there are 29 other teams in the league, 28 at the least, that have better leadership and character than the Jets.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The "leadership" and "character" stuff is the vilest bull****. IMO teams with good leadership and character don't fall apart as often as the Jets do, or fail to show up at all. I'm guessing there are 29 other teams in the league, 28 at the least, that have better leadership and character than the Jets.

This team lacks direction more-so than any other in the league, with the possible exception of the Leafs, but I won't hang that on Stu.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Such a Jekyll and Hyde team this year. Got to be frustrating coaching them

Stu needs to sit he was atrocious tonight. But I can't saddle the loss on him, everyone was atrocious for half the game

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So the big question is how the heck can this be fixed?

The team is bad all around.

25th in defense
17th in offense
24th in goal differential
25th power play
27th penalty kill
28th faceoff percentage

Maurice has not come close to fixing this. Trading Ladd is not going to fix this.

This is a BAD hockey team. Whatever "dominance" we have in 5 vs 5 play does not translate to points.

My list of untouchables is getting smaller.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
So the big question is how the heck can this be fixed?

25th in defense
17th in offense
25th power play
27th penalty kill
28th faceoff percentage

Maurice has not come close to fixing this. Trading Ladd is not going to fix this.

This is a BAD hockey team. Whatever "dominance" we have in 5 vs 5 play does not translate to points.

My list of untouchables is getting smaller.

There are your big 3. PP has looked better recently but the special teams overall are still losing this team games. I do not think that they are as bad as their record - if you lose the special teams battle every night, you usually lose the game.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO

25th in defense
17th in offense
25th power play
27th penalty kill
28th faceoff percentage

Those are scary numbers. Even a great deal for Ladd won't change that though...

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
There are your big 3. PP has looked better recently but the special teams overall are still losing this team games. I do not think that they are as bad as their record - if you lose the special teams battle every night, you usually lose the game.

I agree but yesterday they scored one PP goal and gave up zero PP goals and won 52% face offs.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I agree but yesterday they scored one PP goal and gave up zero PP goals and won 52% face offs.

A single game sample doesn't prove much, this was more to do with the season as a whole than this game specifically.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
With all of the problems the jets have and all of the very obvious solutions, it really makes me wonder if this isn't an intentional soft tank to stock our cupboards, which we have done.

No way would that ever be communicated publicly, but with the extensions of stu and thorbs, not fixing the very obvious issues with the penalties, pk and pp, sticking with pavs as our #1 etc....... It sure looks like it.

My hope is that next year it is determined that we have enough talent to make a run so we magically make all of the obvious fixes and suddenly we are a good team.

Issues are far to obvious for legitimate hockey professionals to miss and not fix. Imo.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
With all of the problems the jets have and all of the very obvious solutions, it really makes me wonder if this isn't an intentional soft tank to stock our cupboards, which we have done.

No way would that ever be communicated publicly, but with the extensions of stu and thorbs, not fixing the very obvious issues with the penalties, pk and pp, sticking with pavs as our #1 etc....... It sure looks like it.

My hope is that next year it is determined that we have enough talent to make a run so we magically make all of the obvious fixes and suddenly we are a good team.

Issues are far to obvious for legitimate hockey professionals to miss and not fix. Imo.

Personally Chevy's odyssey reminds me more of the Martin Short movie Pure Luck wherein the hapless hero bungles his way to accidental success. Keeping my fingers crossed that Chevy gets to the success part.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
What truly bothers me is that why on earth is Postma not playing over him? Hell even Pardy? This stuff baffles me, it was on Chevy for signing Stu to such a stupid contract, its on Pomo for refusing to believe his eyes.

As it baffles all fans who pay attention to these things [mod].

First it was Pavs shoved down our throats & keeping us out of the playoffs for years. Then there's Thorburn; another guy we should never have r-signed -- good enough player to alternate between 4th line & bench, but he keeps getting shoved higher.

And Stu; at 4 extra years & 2 mil -- what more can you say. Just when you think they have figured out how bad he is, he gets put back with Trouba. Last night he saw limited if any action on the PK -- how long before PMo reverses that one.

Its baffling, baffling, baffling all the way and the main reason why team moral is so inconsistent -- if you were a player and you kept seeing these guys being put in roles that they don't deserve (and with much better players on the bench (Postma) or on the farm team (take your pick of several that could do better than Stu, Throburn or Peluso), how long could you keep putting out 100% effort in that situation?

Last edited by a moderator:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
The comments from two years ago about Stuart are interesting now, especially the hopes that he'll at least be a good PK guy :laugh:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1617973

:facepalm:

For a cynic in real life, I'm too kind here. I'll defend myself in thinking I didn't want to see an asset walk without compensation and there was interest in Stu at the time on the trade boards. Would be nice to move him out now. Looks like I thought Morrissey would be here by this year "for sure" also. Whoops.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
The comments from two years ago about Stuart are interesting now, especially the hopes that he'll at least be a good PK guy :laugh:

yeah, there's a lot less 'WTH chevy!' comments in there than expected. At least there were a few naysayers...

My comment was:
"I don't understand 4 years but whatever. At least it wasn't a Thorburn extension"

what little did I know......

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

It was highly suspected to be a **** deal then, and it's proven to be as bad (or worse) than many thought. If it were a 2 year deal, he'd be gone at the end of this season...ugh. Totally a bone to the fans so they'd shut up about Chevy not doing something at the deadline with the team one point out.

Concern: Too long!
Result: Yep.

Concern: Too much money!
Result: Yep.

Concern: He's in decline!
Result: Boy, is he ever...

Concern: This blocks younger defensemen and handcuffs the team to Stu until 2018.
Outcome: Stu's definitely blocked better options. Don't see any rush to improve the LHD situation over the last 2 years.

Concern: Chevy thinks he's a Top 4 D!
Outcome: Played with Trouba on 2nd pairing for much of last 2 years.

Possible benefit: GLUE! LEADERSHIP!
Outcome: 2 points ahead of Edmonton for last in the West this year.

Possible benefit: Mentoring Trouba!
Outcome: HOW'S THAT GOING?

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Gotta wonder why this team can show up and look great for a portion of a period then look absolutely disinterested for the remainder. Is this a coaching issue or a player issue?

It's a leadership issue. Ladd is the worst captain ever. Mr Cool "Whatever"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad