News Article: Bruce Garrioch is again stirring the Jets rumour pot.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
+Kulda and Trouba.

Hainsey isn't going to win us the cup. Asset management. Asset management. Say i with me :) Asset management!

I believe that I'm managing an asset in a more effective way than you propose.

I'm utilizing a known asset for 10 games with the intent of making the playoffs this year. Without Hainsey (even more so with Enstrom out now) I don't think its realistic we make the playoffs.
I'm aware that he might (probably will) walk for nothing, but I'm willing to take that gamble because making the playoffs needs to be a priority for this team, and that is best accomplished with him.

I value a realistic shot at making the playoffs more than a draft pick, which could be anywhere from a second to a fourth realistically.

If a deal was there that would have made dealing Hainsey worthwhile, I have no doubt Chevy pulls the trigger. The fact he didn't is telling to me.

Also, if you're banking on Trouba (who is raw as can be) and Kulda who you haven't seen in ages to fill in, I question your asset management skills. I left them out for a reason.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
+Kulda and Trouba.

Hainsey isn't going to win us the cup. Asset management. Asset management. Say i with me :) Asset management!

Perhaps not, but he could have been the difference between making the playoffs or not - in the end that's what Chevy debated, I'm sure. That's also practicing asset management.

EDIT: wpgsilver - exactly. :nod:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Hell, what's the actual good argument FOR trading away Hainsey? Just because we're out of the playoffs now doesn't mean we won't make it and we were 1st in the division at the time of the deadline. So both of those arguments don't really carry any weight. Asset management? It's a 2nd round pick you very smart people keep bringing up. Do you even know the likelyness that that pick becomes anything at all? Likely nothing at all. Why trade away something that can help you do something this franchise has only done once instead of having a losers mentality and giving up? I'm ashamed at the fact that we have people that have no problem losing. You guys take winning for such granted it's not even funny and is rather sad. :facepalm:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I believe that I'm managing an asset in a more effective way than you propose.

I'm utilizing a known asset for 10 games with the intent of making the playoffs this year. Without Hainsey (even more so with Enstrom out now) I don't think its realistic we make the playoffs.
I'm aware that he might (probably will) walk for nothing, but I'm willing to take that gamble because making the playoffs needs to be a priority for this team, and that is best accomplished with him.

I value a realistic shot at making the playoffs more than a draft pick, which could be anywhere from a second to a fourth realistically.

If a deal was there that would have made dealing Hainsey worthwhile, I have no doubt Chevy pulls the trigger. The fact he didn't is telling to me.

Also, if you're banking on Trouba (who is raw as can be) and Kulda who you haven't seen in ages to fill in, I question your asset management skills. I left them out for a reason.

Agreed. I see Hainsey as our own rental of sorts. When you have a chance for the playoffs you go for it. BTW I fail to see how a 4th 2nd round pick likely at the very back end of the 2nd round is a difference maker.

Just maybe with a few home playoff dates padding the bottom line Chevy is given the green light to be more aggressive in the FA market this off season.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
With Enstrom out, I am glad we didn't trade Hainsey for this very reason. All 3 of our most relied upon defencemen in Enstrom, Byfuglien and Bogosian have proven to be rather injury prone since arriving in Winnipeg. Being in the thick of a playoff race at the trade deadline, it just doesn't make sense to trade a legitimate top 4 guy in Hainsey, in my opinion anyhow.

Case in point here, Enstrom is now out, for how long we do not know. Let's subtract Hainsey from the group as if we dealt him at the trade deadline.

Clitsome - Byfuglien
Stuart - Bogosian
Kulda - Postma/Trouba/Meech/Redmond

At the trade deadline, we had no clue Redmond would heal as quickly as he has, but, even so, to begin playing him after he's been off for a couple months wouldn't likely be a good thing, especially when the games mean so much. Trouba is a rookie. Meech is an AHL'er. Stuart shouldn't sniff the top 4. Kulda, who knows.

This just isn't a group I'd be comfortable riding even for 10 games to try and earn a playoff spot. I think Chevy rewarded the group as Brogosian said but I also think he viewed things while looking at the big picture and playing out scenarios we could possibly endure, such as an injury or two to one of our most relied upon defenders, which could not only possibly effect our chances of making the playoffs, but possibly winning a round.

I just wouldn't like the position it would put us in. Quantity isn't always quality. Perhaps this defensive group (in the scenario minus Enstrom and Hainsey) is good enough to get us into the playoffs, but then how do they do in the playoffs? Why hurt our chances by taking out a proven top 4 defenceman via trade for a draft pick? I see the arguments being made, but for some of these reasons i'm touching on here, I don't agree with them. At the trade deadline we were atop the division, and we still have a good chance at it. We could win a round if we play Toronto, Ottawa, New York, Washington, NJ (who was in the race at the deadline), etc.. in the first round.

Last edited:

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
The notion that we're going to run out of money this off season is a little ridiculous to me. A couple guys are going to cost us a little more than before, Wheeler, Probably Bogo, MAYBE Burmistrov if only to keep him from the K (and even then, not by much) but we're gaining some back too. If Hainsey comes back, it will at worst be at his current rate, I don't think they'd give him a raise, and we're going to save a few million on Antro next season (and that's IF we re-sign him, if we don't, we get back 4+) so I think unless we make a couple of big FA moves or trades with teams who are hitting the cap hard, we're going to have the cap room to do whatever we want to do, whether that is signing Hainsey at his price if it matches ours, or not.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Throwing this out there – if we consider keeping hainsey instead of getting a (let’s assume) 2nd round pick is a good move to help us make the playoffs, why wouldn’t we have also been shopping our own relatively sizeable selection of picks for a rental (or even maybe someone with another year left on a contract)? Shouldn’t it work both ways?

We supposedly weren’t interested in rentals, yet here we are renting Hainsey.

Don’t get me wrong, I think had we traded hainsey at the deadline, and not replaced him, we’d be a in a bit of trouble due to enstrom’s injury.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Throwing this out there – if we consider keeping hainsey instead of getting a (let’s assume) 2nd round pick is a good move to help us make the playoffs, why wouldn’t we have also been shopping our own relatively sizeable selection of picks for a rental (or even maybe someone with another year left on a contract)? Shouldn’t it work both ways?

Don’t get me wrong, I think had we traded hainsey at the deadline, and not replaced him, we’d be a in a bit of trouble due to enstrom’s injury.

We don't know that we didn't, but it could have been that the forwards and DMen available were more then Chevy was willing to pay. In happy that he didn't make a trade, then overpaying for junk.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
We don't know that we didn't, but it could have been that the forwards and DMen available were more then Chevy was willing to pay. In happy that he didn't make a trade, then overpaying for junk.

I like the parallel that someone posted where Ron Hainsey is essentially our rental UFA.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

I believe there is a middle ground, and just because we kept one of our own (most relied upon players at that) doesn't mean we are in a position to then give up assets (the very few we have in order to stock our abysmal system) to then add players. The deals have (had) to be right, and had to fit.

Just because we kept one of our own UFA's, doesn't mean we had to go all in. Middle ground is where we sit, in my opinion. I am sure Chevy tried to acquire a player on contract with a year or two or more to go, but it just didn't pan out. Which can probably be said for many teams considering the low amount of trade activity.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
We'll loose Hainsey for nothing. Too much needs to go right in multiple team's games and nothing can go wrong for the Jets in order for them to make the playoffs.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Why does every one think that he's going to test free agency anyways? For all we know he loves being in the peg and reads this board and knows how much we all love the guy.

It's not like any of us have some kind of insider info(pipe down PS) or something. It's really all our best guess.

I think he resigns, especially with how close this team really is to being competitive.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
We'll loose Hainsey for nothing. Too much needs to go right in multiple team's games and nothing can go wrong for the Jets in order for them to make the playoffs.

Can I borrow those glasses you're wearing? I'm looking for something to improve my hindsight.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm guessing there wasn't much, if anything on the table for Hainsey, so the deal didn't get done. Besides, it would seem that Jets need Hainsey right now so I'm fine with that.

I would be very surprised if they even offer him a deal in the off season. They'll probably look at some "cheap" plugs like Alberts, Fistric, Foster, O'byrne etc.............

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Why does every one think that he's going to test free agency anyways? For all we know he loves being in the peg and reads this board and knows how much we all love the guy.
I think he resigns, especially with how close this team really is to being competitive.

Can I borrow those glasses you're wearing? I'm looking for something to improve my hindsight.

Why don't you borrow sully's? They're rose-coloured, but they work for him!:naughty:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

It's not like any of us have some kind of insider info(pipe down PS) or something. It's really all our best guess.

In terms of the good of the whole, unions generally frown upon any actions by members that put downward pressure on compensation - e.g. taking a "hometown discount." Conversely, they encourage players to take actions that will put upward pressure on compensation - like testing the UFA market and fomenting bidding wars. If Ron can go out and get a 4 year/$3.5 million-per deal this summer, when he'd only get 2 years at $2.9 each or something by signing here, he's raising the bar for all his comrades...and that's :thumbu:

Also, there's the personal financial benefit of receiving an extra $8.2 million (from the example above). That's a lot of dough to leave on the table no matter what.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

Sully, what makes you think they have or are going to even offer him a contract? Can't sign an offer you don't receive :amazed:...you think he re-signs - I think he is gone.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Sully, what makes you think they have or are going to even offer him a contract? Can't sign an offer you don't receive :amazed:...you think he re-signs - I think he is gone.

Signing him might be a stretch, depending on the price, but not even giving him an offer when bidding opens is an even bigger stretch. He's been solid for us this year, knows the team, knows the systems etc. Why we wouldn't even OFFER him a reasonable dollar instead of smiling as he walks away is beyond me.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Serious question. How is letting Hainsey go to FA giving up something for nothing? Because if the Jets sign a FA player, the team is certainly not getting something for nothing. Hainsey gets paid. He walks, that money is now freed up to sign another FA player.

Giving up Hainsey at Free Agency just means the team hasn't maximized on it's return.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Signing him might be a stretch, depending on the price, but not even giving him an offer when bidding opens is an even bigger stretch. He's been solid for us this year, knows the team, knows the systems etc. Why we wouldn't even OFFER him a reasonable dollar instead of smiling as he walks away is beyond me.

Fair point winterpeg...

I just firmly believe that they are going to make a "significant" culture change to the team this off-season. Lots of folks have argued that because someone knows the guys, knows the system, is well liked, etc is a reason that you should keep people. On the contrary, that may be the exact reason that you change things. Again, it is not like we are breaking up a Stanley Cup contender if Hains, Antro, Wellwood etc are not brought back. They may be great guys...but

I really think these 2 years were about seeing what we had, assessing the culture, deciding who you want to keep as a core, and using expiring contracts as a way to make big changes....just what I happen to believe ;) My radar says one or two "big" moves this off season - and one of them involving defense.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice

Not sure why the response. When you're only 2 points up on teams that have 2+ games in hand, your "lead" is precarious at best.

Was simply making a statement, not out to actively criticise.

Given Ron's (apparent) militant stance in the CBA negotiations, it isn't a stretch to think he's not the kind of person who would forego UFA to sign with a current employer, unless his current employer bellied up to the bar that FA sets. I certainly don't begrudge the guy if that's how he goes... can't blame him for wanting his family well off for the next 5+ generations.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Why wouldn't they re-sign him? Take a long look at the depth chart. Kulda and Trouba are not ready for top four minutes. Stuart should be nowhere near the top four any length of time. Hainsey is the best option out there...and it's not like he's ancient either. He's 30ish.

Defense is pretty sparse this time around.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Why don't you borrow sully's? They're rose-coloured, but they work for him!:naughty:

How are my glasses rose coloured lol. I'm not being some huge homer, I'm just pointing out that not a single one of us knows what conversations may or may not have been has between Chevy and the Hains.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
How are my glasses rose coloured lol. I'm not being some huge homer, I'm just pointing out that not a single one of us knows what conversations may or may not have been has between Chevy and the Hains.

Mostly joshin' around with you about the glasses.
I do think, however, that it is optimistic to believe Hainsey re-signs, because Jets are now in no better a position than 29 other teams to sign a free agent. That gives the them a 3.3% probability of re-signing him. Based on other factors (personal , geography, team, etc), I would rate the probability as nearer to zero.
But no one knows for sure...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Not sure why the response. When you're only 2 points up on teams that have 2+ games in hand, your "lead" is precarious at best.

Was simply making a statement, not out to actively criticise.

Given Ron's (apparent) militant stance in the CBA negotiations, it isn't a stretch to think he's not the kind of person who would forego UFA to sign with a current employer, unless his current employer bellied up to the bar that FA sets. I certainly don't begrudge the guy if that's how he goes... can't blame him for wanting his family well off for the next 5+ generations.

Don't begrudge Hainsey at all for wanting to go the UFA route. The Jets made a gamble on him, and will probably lose. I took your comment for criticism, apologies if that was not the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad