News Article: Bruce Garrioch is again stirring the Jets rumour pot.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Whatever happens, I think we can all agree that Hainsey is going to negotiate the heck out of his next deal.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
If we keep him it makes sense to trade buff. I'm going to keep pimping that until your ears bleed.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If we keep him it makes sense to trade buff. I'm going to keep pimping that until your ears bleed.

...and some of us will be here to remind you that Hainsey and Buff are completely different players with different roles, contributions on the team and overall trade value. I don't think that keeping or losing Hainsey is all that linked to what we do with Buff.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Whatever happens, I think we can all agree that Hainsey is going to negotiate the heck out of his next deal.

Actually, I think that Hainsey is going to discover exactly what his market value is, and be forced to take that as his next contract. I wouldn't be surprised if he and the Jets have already had discussions and couldn't agree on his market value, which is why both parties have agreed that he would become an UFA.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
My first-ever post here (see link below) was a trade-Buff post, at a time when it was not very popular, but I think we should give the Buff trade talk a rest for the moment. Here is why:
For a fleeting moment this season, we had Enstrom, Buff, Bogo and Hainsey as our top 4 D. As of today, we have likely lost Hainsey to UFA and Enstrom is out indefinitely. I suspect he will need off-season shoulder surgery and that imakes me think of Eric Fehr.
Perhaps we should let the dust settle and contemplate what life could be like at the start of next season without 3/4 of our top- 4 D, before pushing the trade-Buff button.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1225271

White Out 403*

You keep pushing this point, that it's a blunder, yet you don't acknowledge the message dealing Hainsey at the deadline sends to the team. You think that is worth a 2nd rounder?

That there's room for young kids who are under contract to step in and take part. Enstrom is coming back soon? I think? Kulda is sitting there doing nothing. I don't think Hainsey is so huge an upgrade over Kulda and Trouba with 5 games left that moving him out for a 2nd rounder in a deep draft is a bad move. Am I undervaluing Hainsey? If I am the return would have been worth it.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
And the wheels on the bus keep going round and round on our circular debate.

A huge portion of our posters wanted to see us aquire assets at the deadline

Many wanted to see us to dump assets at the deadline

Some where happy with the middle ground

Many posters are on the record over and over and over with their exact same opinion (including me).

The standoff is alive and well. :help:

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
And the wheels on the bus keep going round and round on our circular debate.

A huge portion of our posters wanted to see us aquire assets at the deadline

Many wanted to see us to dump assets at the deadline

Some where happy with the middle ground

Many posters are on the record over and over and over with their exact same opinion (including me).

The standoff is alive and well. :help:

:laugh: yep, the standoff continues...nobody has changed my mind. Here is what I think: Big Ron was always going to be a UFA and test the market - not sure if he is in love with this team or market. TNSE is happy to let Big Ron be a UFA - not sure they are in love with him, what they would have to pay him, or if his playoff pedigree meant anything at all to this group.

As far as moving him at the deadline, I was never convinced that any team was going to give us a 1st rounder for big Ron. I would have been ok with a 2nd rounder or more, I am also ok keeping Ron for the run to the playoffs - he has been more than serviceable in his role this year.

As far as the "message" it would send trading someone...eh, not so concerned. Dallas and San Jose are 2 teams that have competed better after moving some of the veteran core...not really buying that one as a big concern or a statement that the org is giving up - pros should be able to bring it regardless of trades, injuries, whatever...it is called professional pride.

I maintain that they are going to change the core this summer, and that will include Ron moving along. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong ;)

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Its comical that you guys are discussing Hainsey and Clitsome when we need to sign Little, Wheeler, Bogosian, Burmistrov etc. The salary cap is 64M for next season, so Chevy won't even be considering guys like Hainsey, Clitsome, Redmond, Santorelli etc until he knows where he stands. The Jets could easily be a cap team next year.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Its comical that you guys are discussing Hainsey and Clitsome when we need to sign Little, Wheeler, Bogosian, Burmistrov etc. The salary cap is 64M for next season, so Chevy won't even be considering guys like Hainsey, Clitsome, Redmond, Santorelli etc until he knows where he stands. The Jets could easily be a cap team next year.

You are overestimating how much Little, Bogosian and Burmistrov are going to make. Little is going to make about the same he makes right now since his point production has stayed flat. Bogo and Burmi have yet to prove they are worth the big bucks. The only player that is going to get a sizable raise is Wheeler. These contracts should not even begin to put us near the cap esp with Hainsey's 4 million+ caphit coming off the books.

BrokerD

Apr 13, 2012
I think Hainsey easily would have netted us a 2nd rounder. I think Chevy just rolled the dice. Not smart as we need to be extremely careful with our asset management.

I still can't wrap my head around not trading Hainsey for a pick. I like Hainsey but there is zero chance he signs here next year IMO. There is nothing I hate more than seeing players walk for NOTHING:rant:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I still can't wrap my head around not trading Hainsey for a pick. I like Hainsey but there is zero chance he signs here next year IMO. There is nothing I hate more than seeing players walk for NOTHING:rant:

What about a team trying to make the playoffs who's defense consists of:
Clitsome-Buff
Stuart-Bogosian
Meech-Postma

Cause that's what we'd be looking at...

I fully believe if we make the playoffs Chevy's move is 100% validated. If we don't its more open to debate IMO.
As has been mentioned extensively, we don't know what was offered for Hainsey. We're assuming a second, but perhaps he wasn't as in demand as we thought. Second, too much emphasis is put on picks. An additional second round pick is nice, but the likelihood of that player contributing to the Jets isn't particularly high. Its not worth getting THAT worked up over.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
how is it news that he is going to test the free agent market?...of course he will.....he's a free agent....wouldnt you?.....i doubt he has much allegiance to a bubble team with tons of travel in a backwater media market....we didnt get rid of him at the deadline, so he will test the market and sign with whoever offers him the most money....that isnt news....if he is back with us, it means we gave him the most money after he fields offers from the rest of the league....

...besides sucking up minutes, i think he can be replaced for far less money...money which can be spent elsewhere....like a couple of waver wire pick ups...maybe a guy who scored 15 goals 4 years ago, but nothing since?....we haven't tried that yet...ha ha.

he is a competent defender with less than zero offensive contribution....in my opinion that is easy to replace.....he might even be replaced with someone who can contribute to the offence......it wouldn't have bothered me if he had been dealt at the deadline but its ok that he wasnt....he wouldnt have brought much in my opinion...certainly nothing like a low first rounder like lawless suggested.....he's not even close to that value.

Last edited:

White Out 403*

What about a team trying to make the playoffs who's defense consists of:
Clitsome-Buff
Stuart-Bogosian
Meech-Postma

Cause that's what we'd be looking at...

I fully believe if we make the playoffs Chevy's move is 100% validated. If we don't its more open to debate IMO.
As has been mentioned extensively, we don't know what was offered for Hainsey. We're assuming a second, but perhaps he wasn't as in demand as we thought. Second, too much emphasis is put on picks. An additional second round pick is nice, but the likelihood of that player contributing to the Jets isn't particularly high. Its not worth getting THAT worked up over.

+Kulda and Trouba.

Hainsey isn't going to win us the cup. Asset management. Asset management. Say i with me :) Asset management!

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

You need to understand that every situation is different with regards to UFAs. By your standards we should have traded Hainsey, Clitesome, Antropov, Mittens, Wellwood, and not even bring in Santorelli. Basically gut the team and go into tank mode, while being in 1st in the division. :banghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad