News Article: Brooks speaks with Dolan.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
From my POV:

With that said, I wouldn't write off Erik Karlsson. Don't see much sense in trading for him, but as a UFA? Who knows what he wants. Not all players are in it for the money. Lias dad was a mentor for Erik and Lias hanged around the locker-room a lot as a kid. Lias was 13 y/o when his dad stopped playing. Hank and Karlsson are close. They respect each other a ton. Karlsson loves Ottawa, will most likely resign with them. Or not, they are certainly heading in the wrong direction and he has been asked to carry an absurd load for them for so long. There are plenty of attractive organizations around the league. Karlsson might take the highest offer, go someplace sunny. Or he might feel that NYR really is the place for him and sign here on a good deal. You never know.
Obviously getting him as a UFA is the way to go. Will he get there though? Has to make it through this off season AND next tdl for us to have a shot, and then compete with other suitors. But if he DOES want NY, you had best believe we better be an already good competitive team, don't think he would want to go through a "rebuild", even though he would change that immediately. Personally, I don't want him. Gonna cost, haven't we learned anything? Any one superstar player can take a puck to the eye and concussions always a possibility (Staal etc.) and instantly become much less than what they were, but still get PAID. (Staal anyone?) Oh, I said that.
Getting Karlsson instantly takes us to that bubble playoff team and constricts our cap. Is that too fast a rebuild? I think so, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Don't get me wrong aquiring a talent like him or Taveras is a good thing, but should be the "missing piece" to the puzzle NOT paying a maximium price just to get to that bubble position. We need to develop and mold our new young team first and then other players will become available. Quoting Guns and Roses.......all we need is a little patience.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I doubt Erik Karlsson is considered - and that it what Ottawa wish to get assets for him to start their rebuild. And based on the Ryan Mc. trade Rangers is in the exact same situation in a rebuild mode - so Erik K. makes absolutely no sense since he cost assets to acquire.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
I think the coaching searches for the Knicks and Rangers will show the differences in the skill of the front offices for each team. I have a lot of confidence in Gorts. I have no confidence in Steve Mills. The names popping up in the Knicks search have me very concerned.

Reactions: Jeff Groten

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
I think Dolan has learned. He's beginning to do the same with the Knicks.

Both teams are going through rebuilds and its great for NYC. No more mediocre teams. Although the Rangers are in much better hands than the Knicks. The Knicks will probably take 4-5 years to become revenant, when the Rangers will take 2 years

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Have to agree with RB’s take here regarding what Dolan said about elite guys “who may become available”.

The key words to me were *may become*.

I very much read that as guys around the league currently under contract who aren’t obvious, but who due to their or their teams’ circumstance, may be unexpectedly gettable, not guys they plan to sign as UFAs. (To me, the leaders outside the organization comment seemed much more likely to include UFAs.) I think they’re looking at situations where a seemingly untouchable guy suddenly changes teams — something along the lines of EDM deciding they’re so cap strapped they’ve got to move Draisaitl, or BUF coming to the conclusion their rebuild has stalled, they need to start over, and therefore wanting to move Eichel before his new salary kicks in. (NOTE: I’m not saying either of those are necessarily possibilities, just throwing them out there as the KIND of opportunity they may be monitoring.). Alternatively, they may also be looking at other guys like Zibanejad whom they think can be special, but haven’t yet hit their stride for whatever reason.

I actually took the comment to be pointing AWAY from the more obvious candidates like JT and EK who are already widely known to BE available.

Wasn't surprised with RB's interpretation on making "smart" moves statement but his definition of "smart" is not an axiom, and what Gorton and Dolan would think as smart could be different. The obvious read on the going after "impact" players would be that Dolan had EK in mind (JT would be too but I don't think the interest would be mutual) because he'd cost nothing but money and long-term commitment.

However your take is an interesting (and reasonable), however bringing someone like Draisaitl or Eichel would seriously weaken the team elsewhere, and would it be smart?

Also, while Zibanejad-type of trade would be smart I don't think it would fall under acquiring "special" players message.

EEL

Sep 18, 2008
HHI
This was a great gift for me this morning!
Actual information from the top which confirms what we've been thinking.
Not sure how to feel about Hank tho. For someone ultra competitive to nix a trade to a team with a chance? He's either very loyal or very comfortable!

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
C’mon we all know Gorts & co. has a massive hard on for AMERICANBORNCHARACTERGOODBUTNOTELITE guys, duhh
Oh. You mean the type of players the league was built on and created the very league we are talking about right now and that we love.........Gotcha:thumbu: what’s the problem with that type of player?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Not for nothing but that is some very dialed in stuff from Mr Dolan who I think has been a tremendous owner for us and doesn’t get enough credit. He knows his team but he lets the hockey guys make the decisions. But everything he said there is spot on and would only be communicated by a guy who knows his hockey club.

He’s spot on with Mcdonagh too. Was not a good captain. The C hurt him badly. Stepan should have been the guy to get it quite frankly.
I’ve said it here before. We as Ranger fans have had a good ride with Dolan. Knicks fans, not so much. But Dolan has been a great owner for the Rangers. No qualms.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This was a great gift for me this morning!
Actual information from the top which confirms what we've been thinking.
Not sure how to feel about Hank tho. For someone ultra competitive to nix a trade to a team with a chance? He's either very loyal or very comfortable!

Ok, the way you put it one of the choices has a positive implications while the other one is negative. With Hank's history which one do you think it is?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think Dolan has learned. He's beginning to do the same with the Knicks.

Both teams are going through rebuilds and its great for NYC. No more mediocre teams. Although the Rangers are in much better hands than the Knicks. The Knicks will probably take 4-5 years to become revenant, when the Rangers will take 2 years

Dolan`s wish is to compete for playoffs is entirely based of the whole ticket sale in MSG reasoning and economy, but 2 years rebuild in NHL is normally unrealistic and at least name it a quick retool.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If we're choosing between Tavares and Karlsson I would take Tavares. Less injury issues over the years and we can just sign him--we don't have to trade for him but either is going to get a massive contract and you have to decide if that is workable along with whatever long range plan you have. I'm not sure Tavares would want to play here though. Karlsson probably wouldn't have a problem.

I wouldn't compare Tavares to Nash either. Nash had one---maybe two years where he was really an offensive force for us. Tavares since coming into the league has been a consistent offensive force. In any case Kovalchuk seems like he would be a cheaper, shorter term fix.

I'm also wondering about Van Riemsdyk--though to me he's not a guy that really is going to drive a line.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I always find it incredible the ability for fans to know who is and isn't a good captain. It's literally the stupidest thing I've ever read when ppl make hot takes on that.

If you aren't in the lockerroom...which none of us are..you don't know who is and isn't a good captain. You can guess ..i suppose...but it's just that...a guess..something you're pulling outta your ass.

I've been a captain in beet league for years. I don't go out there and score big goals or yell at the team or what not. But almost everyone says I'm a good captain. Leadership stuff comes from the lockerrom...seldom is it on the ice.

I don't know if ryan mcdonagh was a good captain or noy...id say his shoulder injuries played a bigger role in his game not getting better than any make believe fantasy people want to imagine about being the captain.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If we're choosing between Tavares and Karlsson I would take Tavares. Less injury issues over the years and we can just sign him--we don't have to trade for him but either is going to get a massive contract and you have to decide if that is workable along with whatever long range plan you have. I'm not sure Tavares would want to play here though. Karlsson probably wouldn't have a problem.

I wouldn't compare Tavares to Nash either. Nash had one---maybe two years where he was really an offensive force for us. Tavares since coming into the league has been a consistent offensive force. In any case Kovalchuk seems like he would be a cheaper, shorter term fix.

I'm also wondering about Van Riemsdyk--though to me he's not a guy that really is going to drive a line.

The way team constructed right now EK would be more of a priority than JT if Gorton and Dolan wanted to go this route (even ignoring how unlikely it would be for Tavares to leave Isles for Rangers).

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I can only imagine the return for Hank... not like this team is winning a cup in 3 years lol

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Dolan is just clueless. He (again) has 2 franchises that absolutely suck and is trying to sell the fans on a re-load/youth movement but also insinuating he wants it done quickly. He's talking out of both sides of his mouth in this interview.

Reactions: Off Sides

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I can only imagine the return for Hank... not like this team is winning a cup in 3 years lol

I would expect a crappy return with the Rangers eating salary. Do you think somebody is going to overpay in assets for a goalie pushing 40 with a sky-high price tag?

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I always find it incredible the ability for fans to know who is and isn't a good captain. It's literally the stupidest thing I've ever read when ppl make hot takes on that.

If you aren't in the lockerroom...which none of us are..you don't know who is and isn't a good captain. You can guess ..i suppose...but it's just that...a guess..something you're pulling outta your ass.

I've been a captain in beet league for years. I don't go out there and score big goals or yell at the team or what not. But almost everyone says I'm a good captain. Leadership stuff comes from the lockerrom...seldom is it on the ice.

I don't know if ryan mcdonagh was a good captain or noy...id say his shoulder injuries played a bigger role in his game not getting better than any make believe fantasy people want to imagine about being the captain.

A lot has been written or implied about the leadership problems of the Rangers and about wanting to break/shake up the core of the team. Uncle Larry has harped about it a lot. The repeated number of times that team has started games poorly, have come out flat in the playoffs, and have shown apathy towards events on the ice leads adds to the belief that we have leadership problems.

I'm not one of those to say that McD was a bad captain, but when a team has leadership problems, where are people going to look? The head coach and Captain for starters. I think it's a fair assumption for people to make that link.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Dolan is just clueless. He (again) has 2 franchises that absolutely suck and is trying to sell the fans on a re-load/youth movement but also insinuating he wants it done quickly. He's talking out of both sides of his mouth in this interview.
Did you actually read the article or are you just assuming? I would have had the same thought before actually reading it, but Dolan actually comes off as competent in this interview.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad