News Article: Brooks speaks with Dolan.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
https://nypost.com/2018/04/18/rangers-owner-reveals-what-he-wants-in-the-next-coach/

Brooks speaks with Dolan - a lot of nuggets in there.

Says they didn’t have good leadership last season, which reads to me as the big impact of losing Stepan.

Says the C put too much pressure on McD, and took him out of his comfort zone.

Says AVs post philly rant confirmed for them that he isn’t a guy that can “build a team”, only someone who can get the best out of a prebuilt unit.

Says they can “sneak into the 7th or 8th seed” next year while going through the retool...I’m sure Hank loves hearing that.

Says the FO has ID’d “leaders that may become available” and will target them this summer.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Not for nothing but that is some very dialed in stuff from Mr Dolan who I think has been a tremendous owner for us and doesn’t get enough credit. He knows his team but he lets the hockey guys make the decisions. But everything he said there is spot on and would only be communicated by a guy who knows his hockey club.

He’s spot on with Mcdonagh too. Was not a good captain. The C hurt him badly. Stepan should have been the guy to get it quite frankly.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I wonder what "great player" he's referring too. Says they've identified "some." Plural.

Will they gun hard for one of Tavares or Karlsson? Or someone else?

Reactions: Elliman

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I wonder what "great player" he's referring too. Says they've identified "some." Plural.

He put that in there to keep dialogue open, period. Him and Jeff would be foolish not to talk to JT and see what his price is or what other big name players might be on the market.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Not for nothing but that is some very dialed in stuff from Mr Dolan who I think has been a tremendous owner for us and doesn’t get enough credit. He knows his team but he lets the hockey guys make the decisions. But everything he said there is spot on and would only be communicated by a guy who knows his hockey club.

He’s spot on with Mcdonagh too. Was not a good captain. The C hurt him badly. Stepan should have been the guy to get it quite frankly.
He legit cares, he just knows nothing about hockey so trusts his people, the problem is with the Knicks he keeps hiring the wrong fools. Someone in his ear with the Knicks keeps pushing him in the wrong direction. He's a businessman, he knows a contender is what sells and he wants to win because winning brings eyes and revenue.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017

This is the bit that was the most troubling given the history of star chasing on the basketball end. Seems like Dolan is committed to the rebuild though so I have faith that they are taking the right path.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
As long as he doesn't go full knicks and force JG to do moves I'm fine with em speaking

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
As long as he doesn't go full knicks and force JG to do moves I'm fine with em speaking
I like this quote here:
“We’re committed to winning the Stanley Cup. I can’t give a timetable, but I also think we can compete for a playoff spot next year and sneak into seventh or eighth place,” he said. “We’re rebuilding but it doesn’t have to take forever.”

He's acknowledging you can't rush it but you should have pride to compete. I can get behind that. I'm all for tanking when at the TDL you know you're out of it, BUT tanking for the sake of tanking is something I highly question.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There’s always a pressure to put the C on a popular player, ideally one we view as one of our very best and who will be with us for a long time.

But we’ve seen that backfire too. The weight of the captaincy is not for everyone - be it a guy like McDonagh, or even a HOFer like Leetch.

As for the Dolan article, I kind of read the leadership comment to extend beyond just the captaincy. I think there’s a good chance the team gives some long thought to who wears an A moving forward.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Where did you see this?

I think both Freidman and Dreger had this earlier this year. Something along the line of the Rangers front office would be willing to "move heaven and earth" to get him.

With what the ask was for him at the deadline, thats pretty much what it would take to get him out of Montreal.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I think both Freidman and Dreger had this earlier this year. Something along the line of the Rangers front office would be willing to "move heaven and earth" to get him.

With what the ask was for him at the deadline, thats pretty much what it would take to get him out of Montreal.
I want nothing to do w/ Patches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad