will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I came here to say Patches but already beaten to it I see

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I think both Freidman and Dreger had this earlier this year. Something along the line of the Rangers front office would be willing to "move heaven and earth" to get him.

With what the ask was for him at the deadline, thats pretty much what it would take to get him out of Montreal.
Brooks mentioned in an article that narrative out of Montreal is that the Rangers would anything to get Pacioretty; but he was skeptical of that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...n-cant-erase-the-rangers-biggest-problem/amp/

Reactions: GregSirico

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I want nothing to do w/ Patches.

100% completely disagree.

The team could definitely use Patches.

Our inability to Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge clearly cost us games last season.

jSx2DRB.jpg

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Brooks mentioned in an article that narrative out of Montreal is that the Rangers would anything to get Pacioretty; but he was skeptical of that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...n-cant-erase-the-rangers-biggest-problem/amp/

“By the way, the narrative from Montreal that the Rangers would do anything they can to get Max Pacioretty? Why, exactly, when the winger did next to nothing while creating no impact in last year’s six-game first round?”

Brooks brings it up to mock it and shoot it down.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I'd say you can take Kreider and Hayes off that list but the rest yes. I think Hayes has a whole other level to his game.

Not saying I don’t like any of those guys or that we made bad decisions on these fellas. I was merely agreeing with the fact that our FO has got a serious hard on for American born players.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
https://nypost.com/2018/04/18/rangers-owner-reveals-what-he-wants-in-the-next-coach/

Brooks speaks with Dolan - a lot of nuggets in there.

Says they didn’t have good leadership last season, which reads to me as the big impact of losing Stepan.

Says the C put too much pressure on McD, and took him out of his comfort zone.

Says AVs post philly rant confirmed for them that he isn’t a guy that can “build a team”, only someone who can get the best out of a prebuilt unit.

Says they can “sneak into the 7th or 8th seed” next year while going through the retool...I’m sure Hank loves hearing that.

Says the FO has ID’d “leaders that may become available” and will target them this summer.

I mean I’m totally down for a true rebuilding coach.

But I don’t want them to try to get some one for a half build to “sneak in”.

And in regard to AV, he’s an end game coach, would have been a bad move to keep him for a rebuild.

On a related note , will Brook be the new tambourine player in JD & The Straight Shot?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone Ranger

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This certainly caught my attention:

“And I know we need that one great player who can make a difference. We’ve identified some who might become available, and if they do, we want to be in position where we’re able to get them.”

Tavares and Karlsson. Hard to imagine anyone else being there.

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York
I mean I’m totally down for a true rebuilding coach.

But I don’t want them to try to get some one for a half build to “sneak in”.

And in regard to AV, he’s an end gane coach, would have been a bad move to keep him for a rebuild.

On a related note , will Brook be the new tambourine player in JD & The Straight Shot?

It's got to be Brooks on cowbell a la Will Ferrell.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
This certainly caught my attention:

“And I know we need that one great player who can make a difference. We’ve identified some who might become available, and if they do, we want to be in position where we’re able to get them.”

Tavares and Karlsson. Hard to imagine anyone else being there.

Dolan also said

“We have the plan. Now we have to carry it out. We have to be smart.”

Karlsson is a dumb idea. He will cost a ton to acquire in a trade. Even if Karlsson makes it to free agency in 2019,he will be 29 years old and in position to command 7 years at $11M-$12M. That's dumb. Look at what Doughty gets and Karlsson will get more. The Rangers don't need Karlsson in his 30's when the rest of the team is young. Makes zero sense.

Other players will become available. The Rangers don't have to add that player in next few months.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Dolan also said

Karlsson is a dumb idea. He will cost a ton to acquire in a trade. Even if Karlsson makes it to free agency in 2019,he will be 29 years old and in position to command 7 years at $11M-$12M. That's dumb. Look at what Doughty gets and Karlsson will get more. The Rangers don't need Karlsson in his 30's when the rest of the team is young. Makes zero sense.

Other players will become available. The Rangers don't have to add that player in next few months.

From my POV:

1. I am not at all sure that you need that "one great player that can make a difference" that Dolan is referring to. These things always change. That type of thinking is very much NYR/MSG/Dolan. It worked with Messier. But... Carmelo Antony? We have been looking for that one guy forever. Crosby and Malkin are the two best centers in hockey over this generation -- when they haven't played in front of the best 3rd line in hockey the last 5 years they have sucked.

You need leaders and players with different roles on the team. But that one really stuck out as for me meaning that Dolan and Gorts were about to go Messier hunting again. Find another Nash.

2. Teams play 4 lines today. Some play 1-2 more and then either the 3rd a bit more than the 4th or both the 3rd and 4th a little less than 1-2, or 1-3 with the 4th a little less or just roll 4 lines almost evenly. No matter what -- all shifts matter the same. There are roughly 45 minutes of ES hockey per game -- and there are only 19 players in this league playing 16 minutes of ES hockey per game. There are 20 players avg 20 minutes of ice time per game in total.

On most teams the ES ice time is roughly divided as follows on average: 1st line 14-15 minutes a game / 2nd line 12-13 minutes a game / 3rd line 10-12 minutes a game / 4th line 8-10 minutes a game.

That one great player isn't going to impact your team on the ice more than at most 1/3 of a game.

Teams with great players have won the Cup more than others the last years. But its also important to remember that we have had some extreme Cap circumventing contracts during this time frame. They was essential for Detroit keeping their team together, for LAK winning, for Chicago winning and so forth. The contracts are still held back by the norm set by the cap circumventing contracts. But like a Ryan Suter or Shea Weber have made 10-12m per season forever (5-6 years now?). The best players will make more money than that in the near future. With the cap going up, the top guys won't make 7-8m per. We will start to see contracts up towards 15m per eventually.

My point is just, I am not at all sold on that we should go hunting for that top player. You need certain things on the ice, but you can get that by committee instead of from 1-3 guys. Look at Vegas. they are dominating due to having a roster of 24-25 solid NHLers mostly in their prime.

With that said, I wouldn't write off Erik Karlsson. Don't see much sense in trading for him, but as a UFA? Who knows what he wants. Not all players are in it for the money. Lias dad was a mentor for Erik and Lias hanged around the locker-room a lot as a kid. Lias was 13 y/o when his dad stopped playing. Hank and Karlsson are close. They respect each other a ton. Karlsson loves Ottawa, will most likely resign with them. Or not, they are certainly heading in the wrong direction and he has been asked to carry an absurd load for them for so long. There are plenty of attractive organizations around the league. Karlsson might take the highest offer, go someplace sunny. Or he might feel that NYR really is the place for him and sign here on a good deal. You never know.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Dolan also said

Out of curiosity: Does it ever make any sense for any team to sign any player to a big contract after they are 28? Why not put a cap number of 5 million USD after a player is 29 so it doesn't affect the young NHL players too much instead.

What team won a Stanley Cup without veteran players in the last 50 years again?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
From my POV:

1. I am not at all sure that you need that "one great player that can make a difference" that Dolan is referring to. These things always change. That type of thinking is very much NYR/MSG/Dolan. It worked with Messier. But... Carmelo Antony? We have been looking for that one guy forever. Crosby and Malkin are the two best centers in hockey over this generation -- when they haven't played in front of the best 3rd line in hockey the last 5 years they have sucked.

You need leaders and players with different roles on the team. But that one really stuck out as for me meaning that Dolan and Gorts were about to go Messier hunting again. Find another Nash.

2. Teams play 4 lines today. Some play 1-2 more and then either the 3rd a bit more than the 4th or both the 3rd and 4th a little less than 1-2, or 1-3 with the 4th a little less or just roll 4 lines almost evenly. No matter what -- all shifts matter the same. There are roughly 45 minutes of ES hockey per game -- and there are only 19 players in this league playing 16 minutes of ES hockey per game. There are 20 players avg 20 minutes of ice time per game in total.

On most teams the ES ice time is roughly divided as follows on average: 1st line 14-15 minutes a game / 2nd line 12-13 minutes a game / 3rd line 10-12 minutes a game / 4th line 8-10 minutes a game.

That one great player isn't going to impact your team on the ice more than at most 1/3 of a game.

Teams with great players have won the Cup more than others the last years. But its also important to remember that we have had some extreme Cap circumventing contracts during this time frame. They was essential for Detroit keeping their team together, for LAK winning, for Chicago winning and so forth. The contracts are still held back by the norm set by the cap circumventing contracts. But like a Ryan Suter or Shea Weber have made 10-12m per season forever (5-6 years now?). The best players will make more money than that in the near future. With the cap going up, the top guys won't make 7-8m per. We will start to see contracts up towards 15m per eventually.

My point is just, I am not at all sold on that we should go hunting for that top player. You need certain things on the ice, but you can get that by committee instead of from 1-3 guys. Look at Vegas. they are dominating due to having a roster of 24-25 solid NHLers mostly in their prime.

With that said, I wouldn't write off Erik Karlsson. Don't see much sense in trading for him, but as a UFA? Who knows what he wants. Not all players are in it for the money. Lias dad was a mentor for Erik and Lias hanged around the locker-room a lot as a kid. Lias was 13 y/o when his dad stopped playing. Hank and Karlsson are close. They respect each other a ton. Karlsson loves Ottawa, will most likely resign with them. Or not, they are certainly heading in the wrong direction and he has been asked to carry an absurd load for them for so long. There are plenty of attractive organizations around the league. Karlsson might take the highest offer, go someplace sunny. Or he might feel that NYR really is the place for him and sign here on a good deal. You never know.

How many seasons does Hank remaining? He has three seasons remaining on his contract. The Rangers are acquiring Karlsson because of Hank? Lundqvist is 36. Gorton isn't consulting Lundqvist on the coaching decision. The Rangers are planning to bring over the Russian goaltender next May.

Karlsson has a few prime years remaining. The Rangers are rebuilding. Dolan said the next coach will be a developmental head coach. Gorton has said the next coach can come from anywhere. He just wants someone with head coaching experience on some level. The Rangers bring in a college coach with no NHL experience. There will be growing pains there.

By the time the Rangers young guys have gotten experience and are mature enough to win,Karlsson will be on the downside of his career. Then everyone will trying to offload Karlsson on some other team because he makes too much money and stinks.

Hank is not going to be here forever.

UnderPSI

Old Salty Dog
Sep 6, 2007
New Jersey
Just to add some tidbits on Hank..
https://nypost.com/2018/04/19/henrik-lundqvist-couldve-left-at-trade-deadline-if-he-wanted-to/

“We told Hank that if he didn’t want to ride it out through this process, we’d find a good landing place for him,” Dolan said during a conversation at his MSG office. “But he said that he wanted to stay and see it through.
“I’m very happy that’s the way he feels. I think with him at the top of his game, that gives us our best chance of competing for a playoff spot next year.”

Reactions: Jeff Groten

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Dolan also said

Have to agree with RB’s take here regarding what Dolan said about elite guys “who may become available”.

The key words to me were *may become*.

I very much read that as guys around the league currently under contract who aren’t obvious, but who due to their or their teams’ circumstance, may be unexpectedly gettable, not guys they plan to sign as UFAs. (To me, the leaders outside the organization comment seemed much more likely to include UFAs.) I think they’re looking at situations where a seemingly untouchable guy suddenly changes teams — something along the lines of EDM deciding they’re so cap strapped they’ve got to move Draisaitl, or BUF coming to the conclusion their rebuild has stalled, they need to start over, and therefore wanting to move Eichel before his new salary kicks in. (NOTE: I’m not saying either of those are necessarily possibilities, just throwing them out there as the KIND of opportunity they may be monitoring.). Alternatively, they may also be looking at other guys like Zibanejad whom they think can be special, but haven’t yet hit their stride for whatever reason.

I actually took the comment to be pointing AWAY from the more obvious candidates like JT and EK who are already widely known to BE available.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad