Brooklyn Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Article in Newsday about them adding trains...

Heading toward the final preseason game Friday in Brooklyn before the team permanently relocates there during the 2015-16 season, the Barclays Center is partnering with the LIRR on several new initiatives to make it easier to get to and from the hockey franchise's new home arena. They include new direct service to key stations and increased efforts to tell fans in the stands when their train is leaving.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...-islanders-fans-to-come-to-brooklyn-1.9364973

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Looks like they're adding additional trains to/from Babylon, and they will be direct with no changeover. That could be a game changer for a lot of people scared of the train.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Looks like they're adding additional trains to/from Babylon, and they will be direct with no changeover. That could be a game changer for a lot of people scared of the train.

If the threat of changing trains at Jamaica is enough to prevent someone from attending a game then I would question their level of fan hood. I'd hope no one here would be affected either way.

Direct is nicer to be sure, but should not be a game changer for anyone.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
If the threat of changing trains at Jamaica is enough to prevent someone from attending a game then I would question their level of fan hood. I'd hope no one here would be affected either way.

99% of the time the train is on the opposite track you only have to move like 15 feet.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Add a train to the Hempstead line. Jeez. ;)

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

It's not just one thing that makes people change their mind it's many.

LONGER commute, and not just a little bit (least for me)
horrible train ride
change at Jamaica... etc.
Packed trains on the way home + out in the cold and rain on platform...

+ if you have tickets to a game over the winter, and there is a snow storm -- do you risk being stranded in BK when the LIRR announces. "due to weather,we have suspended service..." or "45 min delays on LIRR due to ________"

Its all going to happen and piss off A LOT of people

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
It's not just one thing that makes people change their mind it's many.

LONGER commute, and not just a little bit (least for me)
horrible train ride
change at Jamaica... etc.
Packed trains on the way home + out in the cold and rain on platform...

+ if you have tickets to a game over the winter, and there is a snow storm -- do you risk being stranded in BK when the LIRR announces. "due to weather,we have suspended service..." or "45 min delays on LIRR due to ________"

Its all going to happen and piss off A LOT of people

Horrible train ride - How do you know it's going to be horrible? Even Eklund doesn't speculate that much.
Change at Jamaica - non issue, shouldn't even be mentioned.
Packed trains - LIRR adding more trains, probably not an issue but yes it could be.
Cold and Rain - You have to walk from your car to the doors at NVMC and then back to the car. Atlantic Ave lets you out literally in front of the building and the platform here is underground so it's a wash.
Weather delays - they happen, but so do car accidents and traffic on roads.

Lastly, you can't drink and drive but you can drink and train. :yo:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Horrible train ride - How do you know it's going to be horrible? Even Eklund doesn't speculate that much.
Change at Jamaica - non issue, shouldn't even be mentioned.
Packed trains - LIRR adding more trains, probably not an issue but yes it could be.
Cold and Rain - You have to walk from your car to the doors at NVMC and then back to the car. Atlantic Ave lets you out literally in front of the building and the platform here is underground so it's a wash.
Weather delays - they happen, but so do car accidents and traffic on roads.

Lastly, you can't drink and drive but you can drink and train. :yo:

With your responses, I can only assume that you are not a regular commuter on the LIRR?

:)

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
The LIRR--while convenient way to get to barclays--really sucks, and the only time I like the train is when the occupancy is extremely low; I prefer to be in the confines of my own vehicle, whether the traffic is bad, or not. that being said, I'd rather be dumped out directly in front of barclays, instead of struggling to find a parking spot and walking multiple blocks in the cold.

Public transportation on long island--especially the east end where I reside--is absolutely horrific, and its just not an ideal form of transport. I live about 12 miles from Riverhead, and the bus ride out there takes nearly 3 hours. That is unacceptable. It also compounds the traffic situation because everyone feels the need to own a vehicle because public trans is so poor. I just hate being confined to a schedule, and I hate being herded into tube with 1,000,000 other humans ; its just an accident waiting to happen IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad