Brooklyn Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilatus

Nov 9, 2007
Long Island, NY
Owners are from Chicago so they are die hard hawks fans but still, its a hockey bar first. They play all the games and 24 tap lines. And not just like bud light, its almost all really good craft beer
Foods good too

Check em out
Windy City Ale House
7915 3rd avenue
Brooklyn, NY
Twitter @windycityalebk

DktrFaustus

Dec 22, 2011
brooklyn
had someone ask me if they knew any islanders bars in the city last week, but i didn't know of any. will spread the word about this place (even if it isn't strictly an isles bar.) sounds right up my alley!

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Owners are from Chicago so they are die hard hawks fans but still, its a hockey bar first. They play all the games and 24 tap lines. And not just like bud light, its almost all really good craft beer
Foods good too

Check em out
Windy City Ale House
7915 3rd avenue
Brooklyn, NY
Twitter @windycityalebk

Seems like a cool place, but it should be noted that this really isn't close to Barclays.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Its about a fifteen minute train ride and the bar is two blocks from the subway I did it for a nets grizzlies game not bad

That's like going to a bar up at the end of the N/Q in Astoria before going to a Mets game.

Sounds like a possibility for road games. But it's *far* from central.

Pilatus

Nov 9, 2007
Long Island, NY
That's like going to a bar up at the end of the N/Q in Astoria before going to a Mets game.

Sounds like a possibility for road games. But it's *far* from central.

oh it's definitely not a finish your pint and get in the stadium as the puck drops spot. but come playoffs there will be no other bar in brooklyn that has all 4 games on the tv's at the same time. I guarantee that.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
oh it's definitely not a finish your pint and get in the stadium as the puck drops spot. but come playoffs there will be no other bar in brooklyn that has all 4 games on the tv's at the same time. I guarantee that.

I can think of at least 3 in my neighborhood alone.

The Korean*

BTW if having a cup holder is important to you you are out of luck for next 25 years. No cup holders, at least in the nose bleed section anyway.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
BTW if having a cup holder is important to you you are out of luck for next 25 years. No cup holders, at least in the nose bleed section anyway.

If cupholders turn out to be a dealbreaker for people to not go to games, we truly do have the worst fanbase in the league.

The Korean*

^haha fair enough, but just a little warning. Its gonna be the same deal as NVMC in that regard.

The Korean*

Either that or a new owner. Of course they aren't mutually exclusive.

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Probably won't know till this summer.

ADVISORY: This thread is more for train, food, and other arena information. Kind of like of Nassau FAQ's in the Sticky section.

I'm curious. For those of you who live in or around Uniondale or points east, will it be more convenient/cheaper to drive or take the train to Brooklyn? Perhaps you are doing so now for basketball. Are there monthly train passes available for those working in NYC? Thanks.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm curious. For those of you who live in or around Uniondale or points east, will it be more convenient/cheaper to drive or take the train to Brooklyn? Perhaps you are doing so now for basketball. Are there monthly train passes available for those working in NYC? Thanks.

It should be more convenient (don't know about cheaper) for most to take the train. Driving is not recommended as parking around Barclays is limited.

The Long Island Railroad sells monthly tickets. There are monthly unlimited ride Metrocards available for the subway.

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It should be more convenient (don't know about cheaper) for most to take the train. Driving is not recommended as parking around Barclays is limited.

The Long Island Railroad sells monthly tickets. There are monthly unlimited ride Metrocards available for the subway.

Thanks a lot.

tonytanti18

Aug 5, 2013
Vancouver
Just a couple of questions for anyone who is familiar with the area. I will be visiting NY in October to catch an Isles and a Devils game and would like to find accommodation in Williamsburg or close by as I have some friends staying there. Or if there's somewhere else you would recommend I'm all ears!

All recommendations would be greatly appreciated, I've been checking on airbnb and vrbo, as well as the hotels already mentioned here.

Also your favorite hockey hangouts.

TT

SouthShore91

Jan 19, 2012
Bay Shore, NY

Coming from Western Suffolk it will definitely NOT be more convenient or cheaper. 20 bucks for a round trip plus another 30-40 minutes to get to the games will not make anything better. Personally I'll be going to less games for sure.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Just a couple of questions for anyone who is familiar with the area. I will be visiting NY in October to catch an Isles and a Devils game and would like to find accommodation in Williamsburg or close by as I have some friends staying there. Or if there's somewhere else you would recommend I'm all ears!

All recommendations would be greatly appreciated, I've been checking on airbnb and vrbo, as well as the hotels already mentioned here.

Also your favorite hockey hangouts.

TT

Will you be renting or have use of a car while you are here? If so, I would recommend either the Holiday Inn or the Comfort Inn in Maspeth, Queens. About a 10 minute drive into Williamsburg and probably cheaper than any of the other places in Williamsburg proper.

Be advised that there are no subways near these locations and I don't think the buses that operate in this area go into Brooklyn. But again, if you're getting a car, they'd be a good option.

tonytanti18

Aug 5, 2013
Vancouver
Will you be renting or have use of a car while you are here? If so, I would recommend either the Holiday Inn or the Comfort Inn in Maspeth, Queens. About a 10 minute drive into Williamsburg and probably cheaper than any of the other places in Williamsburg proper.

Be advised that there are no subways near these locations and I don't think the buses that operate in this area go into Brooklyn. But again, if you're getting a car, they'd be a good option.

Thanks for the advice I'll check that area out. I'd prefer no car as my plans include excessive binge drinking.

Any good hockey hangouts/favourite restaurants in the Williamsburg area. I've been to Grimaldi's before and def wanna hit it up again.

Last edited:

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Thanks for the advice I'll check that area out. I'd prefer no car as my plans include excessive binge drinking.

Any good hockey hangouts or just favourite/restaurants in the williamsburg area. I've been to Grimaldi's before and def wanna hit it up again.

There's not much in terms of a pure hockey hangout in Williamsburg, but there are some decent places to catch a game. I really like Redd's Tavern on Grand Street. No frills type of joint with a bunch of TV's always tuned to sports.

Supposedly the Red Star on Greenpoint Ave in Greenpoint (next section of Brooklyn over from Williamsburg) is touted as a good hockey bar, but I've never been there.

Keg and Lantern on Nassau Ave (also Greenpoint) is pretty good for sports and especially good for beer if you're looking for more than just the usual cheap **** domestics.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Any good hockey hangouts/favourite restaurants in the Williamsburg area. I've been to Grimaldi's before and def wanna hit it up again.

I'd recommend skipping Grimaldi's and hitting up Roberta's, especially if you're going to be staying in Williamsburg.

I think it's a natural law, actually, that there's a better, less famous brick oven pizzeria in Williamsburg than Grimaldi's. I think it follows from another natural law that states for every establishment in DUMBO/Brooklyn Heights, there's a better altherntive in Williamsburg/Prospect Heights. Call it Hipster's Law.

Previously Brick Oven Gallery was better. Then that closed and POOF there was Roberta's.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Roberta's definitely gets high marks. Paulie G's in Greenpoint is pretty fantastic too. It's right across the street from Red Star Bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad