Brooklyn Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastonhockey22*

Coming from Western Suffolk it will definitely NOT be more convenient or cheaper. 20 bucks for a round trip plus another 30-40 minutes to get to the games will not make anything better. Personally I'll be going to less games for sure.

Doesn't the train take you literally right across the street from the Barclays? Or is it actually under the stadium itself kind of like MSG and penn? That seems pretty convenient to me and will be the reason I will be attending more games.

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthShore91

Jan 19, 2012
Bay Shore, NY
Doesn't the train take you literally right across the street from the Barclays? Or is it actually under the stadium itself kind of like MSG and penn? That seems pretty convenient to me and will be the reason I will be attending more games.

It's across the street yes but it will cost more and take longer. How's that convenient.

eastonhockey22*

It's across the street yes but it will cost more and take longer. How's that convenient.

Well, I live in western Suffolk so I obviously don't speak for everyone but this is my 2 cents. Sometimes, with traffic on a game night, it can take me around 45 minutes to get to NMVC, get parked, and walk into the stadium. So an extra 15 minutes sitting down and relaxing on the train(possibly with a beer in hand haha) to be dropped off right across the street is more than worth it. Plus, you don't have to deal with the cluster**** of leaving a crowded stadium after the game.

I also have friends who don't own cars so buying a $20 train ticket is much cheaper/easier than buying a car, going to the DMV to get it registered, getting car insurance etc. A train ticket is also cheaper than buying an extra ticket for a friend that does own a car so they can drive them. And he current public transit option will cost you an arm and a leg because you can't avoid using a cab.

I, along with many other people who live on L.I., already own monthly LIRR passes. So for me and people like me the commute is actually free! I also don't have to put miles on my car, spend gas money, or pay a $10 parking fee. In the rare case that I can't use my monthly pass its still only around $11 for a round trip commute(train ticket $21.5-parking fee$10= $11. And $4/gallon gas is a nice expense to avoid.

Now I understand that the train will be more expensive for families who all need to buy train tickets. But as a 20 something male who only attends games with friends this is a much better situation. I understand that many Islander fans think that moving to BK is a bad move and will alienate the current fan base. But I believe it will only alienate those who choose to be alienated. We are all still perfectly capable of driving to the Barclays. It's farther, sure, no one can deny that(except for people living in queens, Brooklyn and western Nassau haha) but the Islanders organization fought for months(maybe years?) to remain in NMVC before they were forced to move by Nassau politicians.

We have been provided with a viable public transportation option on top of what we already have. I think being given an option where my only responsibility is buying a ticket and sitting down is much more convenient then the other. And for those who don't? They are still perfectly capable of driving. It is a little farther but you can't hold the islanders organization responsible for that. After all, it's easier to drive to Brooklyn than it is Seattle, Quebec, or Kansas City.

SouthShore91

Jan 19, 2012
Bay Shore, NY
Well, I live in western Suffolk so I obviously don't speak for everyone but this is my 2 cents. Sometimes, with traffic on a game night, it can take me around 45 minutes to get to NMVC, get parked, and walk into the stadium. So an extra 15 minutes sitting down and relaxing on the train(possibly with a beer in hand haha) to be dropped off right across the street is more than worth it. Plus, you don't have to deal with the cluster**** of leaving a crowded stadium after the game.

I also have friends who don't own cars so buying a $20 train ticket is much cheaper/easier than buying a car, going to the DMV to get it registered, getting car insurance etc. A train ticket is also cheaper than buying an extra ticket for a friend that does own a car so they can drive them. And he current public transit option will cost you an arm and a leg because you can't avoid using a cab.

I, along with many other people who live on L.I., already own monthly LIRR passes. So for me and people like me the commute is actually free! I also don't have to put miles on my car, spend gas money, or pay a $10 parking fee. In the rare case that I can't use my monthly pass its still only around $11 for a round trip commute(train ticket $21.5-parking fee$10= $11. And $4/gallon gas is a nice expense to avoid.

Now I understand that the train will be more expensive for families who all need to buy train tickets. But as a 20 something male who only attends games with friends this is a much better situation. I understand that many Islander fans think that moving to BK is a bad move and will alienate the current fan base. But I believe it will only alienate those who choose to be alienated. We are all still perfectly capable of driving to the Barclays. It's farther, sure, no one can deny that(except for people living in queens, Brooklyn and western Nassau haha) but the Islanders organization fought for months(maybe years?) to remain in NMVC before they were forced to move by Nassau politicians.

We have been provided with a viable public transportation option on top of what we already have. I think being given an option where my only responsibility is buying a ticket and sitting down is much more convenient then the other. And for those who don't? They are still perfectly capable of driving. It is a little farther but you can't hold the islanders organization responsible for that. After all, it's easier to drive to Brooklyn than it is Seattle, Quebec, or Kansas City.

How do your friends get to a train station (much less anywhere on LI) if they don't have a car? Also very rarely does it take my more then 40 minutes to get to the Coli from Bay Shore. NVMC weekday games used to be accessible for everyone. With trains you'll be locked into a schedule (meaning if you miss the train your screwed), transfers will be a problem and time will especially become an issue on the way home. I'm a 20-something too and in no way shape or form do I see how Barclays is more convenient for a Suffolk fan then NVMC.

eastonhockey22*

How do your friends get to a train station (much less anywhere on LI) if they don't have a car? Also very rarely does it take my more then 40 minutes to get to the Coli from Bay Shore. NVMC weekday games used to be accessible for everyone. With trains you'll be locked into a schedule (meaning if you miss the train your screwed), transfers will be a problem and time will especially become an issue on the way home. I'm a 20-something too and in no way shape or form do I see how Barclays is more convenient for a Suffolk fan then NVMC.

Many people don't own cars on Long Island. Im surprised this is seems to be a surprise to you. Also, if you can make it from Bay Shore to NVMC, park, and walk to the stadium in under 30-45 minutes every time you go i would very much appreciate a ride in your rocket car next time you go.

Most of us live within a 1-2 miles of a train station so walking isn't a problem. Most lines don't require a transfer to the Barclays. I know the Ronkonkoma, long beach, and Babylon lines all have direct trains that don't require transfers and run on a regular basis. You can also still drive to the game on weekdays... Even leaving at 6:00 you can still make it to the Barclays with plenty of time to spare for a 7:00 if your driving from bayshore(if it only takes you 30 minutes to get to NVMC like you said). Like I said, the only people being alienated are those doing it to themselves. Nothings stopping you from driving bro.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Many people don't own cars on Long Island. Im surprised this is seems to be a surprise to you. Also, if you can make it from Bay Shore to NVMC, park, and walk to the stadium in under 30-45 minutes every time you go i would very much appreciate a ride in your rocket car next time you go.

Most of us live within a 1-2 miles of a train station so walking isn't a problem. Most lines don't require a transfer to the Barclays. I know the Ronkonkoma, long beach, and Babylon lines all have direct trains that don't require transfers and run on a regular basis. You can also still drive to the game on weekdays... Even leaving at 6:00 you can still make it to the Barclays with plenty of time to spare for a 7:00 if your driving from bayshore(if it only takes you 30 minutes to get to NVMC like you said). Like I said, the only people being alienated are those doing it to themselves. Nothings stopping you from driving bro.

Where did you get this information from? There are no direct trains from Ronkonkoma or Babylon headed into Atl ave around the time you would travel to and from a game on a weekday. The last weekday train leaving Babylon that gets there before 7PM is a 5:13 and needs a transfer(which is better than it used to be, picking up some in nassau around 5:30 but it is your only option and you better make it).. Many people on long island don't have cars? How do they get around to do shopping etc then? I know of a total of one household (excluding homebound elderly) here that does not have a car. Actually i can't think of any in my neighborhood that don't have multiple cars. It is the only convenient way to get around out here. And most of us live within 1 or 2 miles of the train and walk to it???? really? Of course those who live close enough can walk, when weather is nice, but the lots are packed, many live furhter than that and I doubt many people who live 2 miles will walk 30-40 mins to an LIRR station, for another hour plus (give or take depending on the person) commute.. who has that time in the AM and who will walk with their suits that far in 100 degree weather or when it rains or snows? At my station, almost all of the commuters are walking from the parking lot or getting dropped off with a handful walking.. Sorry just couldn't let this pass, as it seems so far from the reality of my daily commute and life here.

eastonhockey22*

Where did you get this information from? There are no direct trains from Ronkonkoma or Babylon headed into Atl ave around the time you would travel to and from a game on a weekday. The last weekday train leaving Babylon that gets there before 7PM is a 5:13 and needs a transfer(which is better than it used to be, picking up some in nassau around 5:30 but it is your only option and you better make it).. Many people on long island don't have cars? How do they get around to do shopping etc then? I know of a total of one household (excluding homebound elderly) here that does not have a car. Actually i can't think of any in my neighborhood that don't have multiple cars. It is the only convenient way to get around out here. And most of us live within 1 or 2 miles of the train and walk to it???? really? Of course those who live close enough can walk, when weather is nice, but the lots are packed, many live furhter than that and I doubt many people who live 2 miles will walk 30-40 mins to an LIRR station, for another hour plus (give or take depending on the person) commute.. who has that time in the AM and who will walk with their suits that far in 100 degree weather or when it rains or snows? At my station, almost all of the commuters are walking from the parking lot or getting dropped off with a handful walking.. Sorry just couldn't let this pass, as it seems so far from the reality of my daily commute and life here.

How do people get around without cars? Public transit... You don't have bus stations in your town? But it looks like you guys are part of the crowd getting "alienated" by the move. Guess you'll just have to go without hockey instead of taking the train or driving to Brooklyn. Sucks for you guys I guess. But as a fellow western Suffolk resident I'll be attending many more games when they make the move and am more than willing to give you guys updates in the future. Just shoot me a PM! :)

Edit: also just checked the LIRR schedule and there's a train running from Babylon to Atlantic terminal every 30 minutes(with another train usually running 5-10 minutes after the first train) from 4pm on. It's the same for lynbrook and several other stations on the Babylon line. The ronkonkma line is more limited with the last train leaving at 4:30! Hopefully the LIRR realized the potential opportunity they have and provides additional trains. But as someone who takes the train everyday you know that they're constantly changing the schedule and will hopefully provide more trains at specific times to deal with the capacity(I mean they have a train solely for the boardy barn so I guess it won't be a problem haha)

Edit 2: looks like the long beach line also has a train at around 5 that gets you there around 6:15ish.

Last edited by a moderator:

SouthShore91

Jan 19, 2012
Bay Shore, NY
How do people get around without cars? Public transit... You don't have bus stations in your town? But it looks like you guys are part of the crowd getting "alienated" by the move. Guess you'll just have to go without hockey instead of taking the train or driving to Brooklyn. Sucks for you guys I guess. But as a fellow western Suffolk resident I'll be attending many more games when they make the move and am more than willing to give you guys updates in the future. Just shoot me a PM! :)

Edit: also just checked the LIRR schedule and there's a train running from Babylon to Atlantic terminal every 30 minutes(with another train usually running 5-10 minutes after the first train) from 4pm on. It's the same for lynbrook and several other stations on the Babylon line. The ronkonkma line is more limited with the last train leaving at 4:30! Hopefully the LIRR realized the potential opportunity they have and provides additional trains. But as someone who takes the train everyday you know that they're constantly changing the schedule and will hopefully provide more trains at specific times to deal with the capacity(I mean they have a train solely for the boardy barn so I guess it won't be a problem haha)

Edit 2: looks like the long beach line also has a train at around 5 that gets you there around 6:15ish.

For reference google maps says it take 26 minutes to get from my house to the Coli, meaning I can usually leave around 6 or 6:15 and still make the start. Train schedules may change but that Ronkonkoma train looks terrible. How many normal people get off work in time to take a 5 o'clock trains. And I'm sure the one after causes you to miss the drop of the puck.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
For reference google maps says it take 26 minutes to get from my house to the Coli, meaning I can usually leave around 6 or 6:15 and still make the start. Train schedules may change but that Ronkonkoma train looks terrible. How many normal people get off work in time to take a 5 o'clock trains. And I'm sure the one after causes you to miss the drop of the puck.

I'm sure the train schedule may change if there is enough demand for it.

Besides, I also bet that the Islanders will focus on the Islanders fans who are already working in the city and have them stay for the game. I would bet that there is more than a stadium full of those types of fans.

eastonhockey22*

Hmm, looks like you'd have to take the 5:13, 5:39, 6:03, or the 6:07 on the Babylon line if you wanted to make it on time. The 6:39 would also get you there at the exact time the puck drops :(

Edit: And you obviously don't have to go to Babylon station. But if you can get to Babylon or any other station on that line before 6 you can make it there no problem.

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
Since you guys are so helpful, maybe someone can hook me up. Live in Northport, get home from work local 5:20-5:30 ish. How do I get myself and the other 3 in my family to Barclays in time, like we have been doing every game for the last 7 years? Would love to keep my season tix going forward since my old man and me have had them in one form or another since the late 70's. TIA

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Good morning fellow posters! After a 6 vodka evening out scouting bars and taking in a rock and roll show at The Bellhouse, I'm surprisingly up at this hour and thankfully hangover free! So, as promised, I'm reporting back on some of the bars I visited while in the vicinity of our favorite team's soon to be home.

I actually wound up hitting about 5 places last night, which is three more than I expected to do given that I had tickets to a show that started at 8:30. But, we got an early start and didn't waste time in any one place.

First spot was The Cherry Tree which Bert Marshall seems to be the most interested in. While it doesn't look it from the outside or when you first walk in, this place is huge. There's a smallish front room where the bar is, but then there's a large room that opens up just around the corner from where the bathrooms are. It also has a backyard where you can drink while you smoke or just hang out in. There's a couple TV's up at the front bar that were playing sports and the beer selection is pretty good. They have a nice array of cheap domestics for the unsophisticated drinker and plenty of microbrews for the beer snob. There's also a pizza place practically built into the joint. It ain't free, but it sure is convenient if you're looking to grab a cheap meal before the game.

Next up was 4th Ave Pub, which is right across the street from Cherry Tree and fancied by Bones. Cool place, nice vibe. Significantly smaller than Cherry Tree, and is definitely a beer enthusiasts bar. Lots of good beer for inexpensive prices (ex. $7 Sam Smiths; I normally see this for $9). But, they don't do the cheap swill that some like to drink (they're least posh beer is Brooklyn Lager). It also seems like it wouldn't be so accommodating to a sports crowd. There's only one TV in the place, which was small, and it was showing "Man vs. Food" instead of baseball. There is free popcorn though.

Hit Pacific Standard next which is literally two doors down from 4th Ave Pub. Very similar vibe to 4th Ave Pub only bigger and without the free popcorn. There's a large back room with a big projection TV that was showing baseball while I was there. But again, it's a beer enthusiasts type of place and they don't do Budweiser and the like. Had a quick one there and then moved onto a couple of places on 5th Ave.

Walked into Alchemy and walked right out. This place is really a restaurant that has a bar in it. Not at all conducive to a pre-game, boozing-it-up, sports crowd. This is a place you'd take someone on a quiet date. A bunch of dudes in hockey jerseys would probably not be welcome here and there's really no place to stand around chugging beers.

I thought that would be the end of my scouting trip, but I stumbled upon Uncle Barry's two doors down from Alchemy (just as an aside for those not familiar with this neighborhood; this is just a few of the bars that are literally about 3 blocks away from the arena and LIRR station the opposite side of Flatbush Ave. There are tons more a few blocks further away and plenty more on the Barclays side of Flatbush. My point being, there's no shortage of nightlife in this area). Uncle Barry's was very cool. A good beer selection for all types of beer drinkers, sports on the TV, a good amount of space inside with a small backyard and some bar snacks as well. Also a pretty friendly staff and a happy hour that runs from 1-7 everyday (which means $2 off everything except bottles). Here's the website if anyone wants to check it out further: http://www.unclebarrys.com/

So after completing my mission, I'd recommend either Cherry Tree or Uncle Barry's, with Cherry Tree having a slight edge because it's closer to LIRR and bigger than Uncle Barry's. Honestly, I'd be fine with either, but it would be great if we can get some sort of consensus as to where to go. I really like the idea of a bunch of Islanders fans taking over a joint before their first game at their team's soon-to-be home. I hope we can make that happen!

mhurley

Jun 11, 2005
Long Island
As a public service to all Islander fans that choose to drive to Barclays Center, here’s a little advise.

Take the Northern State to the Grand Central Parkway. Exit for the Jackie Robinson Parkway and take it to the end. You will be on Jamaica Avenue in East New York. Take Jamaica Avenue four blocks down to Atlantic Avenue and turn right. Proceed on Atlantic Ave for about 4 miles to the Barclays Center.

So what if you have to drive all the way through East New York, Bed-Sty and Crown Heights? Suck it up. Do you really want to go over the Kosciusko Bridge and down the BQE? Just make sure your car is in good repair and you have cell phone, a Garmin and AAA.

Who said Ranger fans couldn’t be nice to Islander fans?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I live in Eastern Suffolk.... I drove, paid less for parking and it took me about 30-40mins longer than driving to NVMC. Nothing to complain about.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I was just looking at the LIRR schedules. For those of you who will ride the Hempstead Branch to the game next Friday in Brooklyn, as will I, you have 2 choices. A train that arrives in Brooklyn at 5:49pm or the train after that, which gets in at 7:10pm (late for the game). Not too many choices of trains.

Looks like I will be catching the 5:13 from Queens Village which gets in at 5:49pm.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Does anyone know if the Babylon line (my station is Merrick FYI) is direct to the BC, or will i have to transfer at Jamaica on game day?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Does anyone know if the Babylon line (my station is Merrick FYI) is direct to the BC, or will i have to transfer at Jamaica on game day?

Should be a change at Jamaica.

Hempstead and Far Rockaway trains ususally go to Brooklyn. Babylon, Ronkonkoma, Huntington and Long Beach trains usually go to Penn.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
For those that insist on taking the train, some advice for the way home:

Don't even bother with the first train back.... go out and hit a bar or get some food and take a later train home. The biggest complaint last time was how crowded the train was on the way home.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
For those that insist on taking the train, some advice for the way home:

Don't even bother with the first train back.... go out and hit a bar or get some food and take a later train home. The biggest complaint last time was how crowded the train was on the way home.

It was very crowded on the way there too on the babylon line.. Had to run past 5 cars just to find a spot to squeeze into the aisle. I'm going to try driving this time and see how it works.

Anyone know of any garages nearby/cost?

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
You dont run into trouble finding seats when your trip STARTS in Ronkonkoma. I just laugh and smile at all the people trying to find a seat.

Course, then I'm screwed as well, when we change at Jamaica.

Last time the LIRR put in extra trains after the game but didnt advertise --- wasnt on any schedule or timetable, the trains were just there on the board. Keep an eye out.

I did take that Friday off, but now Im thinking that I should go in to work, (I work midtown, east side) and just subway there, with plenty of time for some local suds before the game.

PS. Unrelated -- but this whole "raised in a barn" thing irritates me.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Changing at Jamaica is so simple. Also the trip from Jamaica to Barclay's is short so even if the train is packed and you can't sit it's not a big deal.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Changing at Jamaica is so simple. Also the trip from Jamaica to Barclay's is short so even if the train is packed and you can't sit it's not a big deal.

It's not the end of the world at all and if it's a big game and I wanna get a good buzz going I'll certainly take the train. I just hate taking the train in general when going to events whether MLB/NFL games also it's just awful IMO. I wanna see how this driving in/parking goes just so I know as an alternate option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad