News Article: Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion (Islanders to play 20 games at NVMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
"Regarding the retail, Isles group proposes "a village type atmosphere... pedestrian pathways and squares, lined with small and unique buildings featuring boutiques, restaurants, and special events to complement the shopping experience." No big box retail use."

Maybe like this? Scott Malkin on his retail shopping villages: "We exist to make the brands happy, the villages exist to make the women happy. We’re more likely to do something else in China or the U.S., a major market, than we would be to build more villages in Europe." https://vrdigitalprodcmsmedia.blob....alueretailscottmalkinonthejoyofdiscomfort.pdf

And this is what Malkin builds. Kinda sounds like what they describe above.

Bicester_3272312b.jpg
IIRC, at the Elmont HS open meeting back in December the rep from Sterling Properties described a shopping village at Belmont similar to Deer Park Outlets or Woodbury Commons. That's exactly what his picture reminds me of.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
Yeah I don’t know if that will help much. I could see the argument putting the games on weekends may make it worse
They need to do three things to maximize attendance at Barclays:

1. Have popular opponents at Barclays (not just the Rangers, but also interesting opponents like the Penguins, Capitals, Leafs, etc)

2. Have most Barclays games Thursday through Sunday to maximize the Long Island crowd as well as the NYC crowd

3. Have most of the Coliseum games in the first half of the season, and have the second half be all (or most) Barclays. Sprinkling the Coliseum games throughout the whole season will pretty much guarantee that LI fans will just wait for the Coli games instead of attend Barclays games.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Key lawmakers: Night racing at Belmont likely

'By Michael Gormley[email protected] @GormleyAlbanyUpdated February 27, 2018 8:53 PM (EST)

ALBANY — The chairmen of the State Senate and Assembly racing committees said Tuesday that Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s proposal to allow night racing at Belmont Park will likely be approved in the state budget due April 1.
The proposal, which was heavily lobbied for Tuesday by the New York Racing Association, would allow nighttime racing Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The bill contained few details...

The bill would allow racing after sunset only at the main track under its current configuration. The races would have to conclude before 10:30 p.m. under the proposal.
A similar bill passed the Senate in June but died in committee in the Assembly.
The proposal is gaining support as the state plans for a new arena for the New York Islanders at the Belmont complex to create a state-of-the-art sports and entertainment facility.'

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Key lawmakers: Night racing at Belmont likely

'By Michael Gormley[email protected] @GormleyAlbanyUpdated February 27, 2018 8:53 PM (EST)

ALBANY — The chairmen of the State Senate and Assembly racing committees said Tuesday that Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s proposal to allow night racing at Belmont Park will likely be approved in the state budget due April 1.
The proposal, which was heavily lobbied for Tuesday by the New York Racing Association, would allow nighttime racing Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The bill contained few details...

The bill would allow racing after sunset only at the main track under its current configuration. The races would have to conclude before 10:30 p.m. under the proposal.
A similar bill passed the Senate in June but died in committee in the Assembly.
The proposal is gaining support as the state plans for a new arena for the New York Islanders at the Belmont complex to create a state-of-the-art sports and entertainment facility.'
Oh teh horrors!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
So lemme get this straight. The Islanders went from playing in an outdated arena to an arena not made for hockey. The outdated arena was updated but not in a way to accommodate an NHL team. The Islanders will now play in both arenas, neither suitable for an NHL team. Brilliant!

Excellent perspective.

I think it will be helpful if we think of garth snow as the Barclays Center of GMs - A massive blind spot making him not good for hockey.

Reactions: nycole

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Underboss. So what your telling me, is i can’t call someone out, who is basically spamming and posting politicallly driven articles? But because i call out that persons public beliefs, I’m political? Is that sensical?

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Underboss. So what your telling me, is i can’t call someone out, who is basically spamming and posting politicallly driven articles? But because i call out that persons public beliefs, I’m political? Is that sensical?

Correct, you cannot call someone out. HF has a policy of no politics. Unfortunately since the move to Belmont involves politics we've made an exception to allow a very limited amount of political discussion as it pertains to Belmont and the move. Outside of that it's politics and get deleted. Also, use the report feature if someone is calling you out, as the moderators and I have a life outside of HF, so that someone can look into it. Thanks!

If you wish to discuss further, PM me.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Correct, you cannot call someone out. HF has a policy of no politics. Unfortunately since the move to Belmont involves politics we've made an exception to allow a very limited amount of political discussion as it pertains to Belmont and the move. Outside of that it's politics and get deleted. Also, use the report feature if someone is calling you out, as the moderators and I have a life outside of HF, so that someone can look into it. Thanks!

If you wish to discuss further, PM me.

No worries. Thank you

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Mayor questions size of Belmont development

By Robert Brodsky[email protected] @BrodskyRobertUpdated March 4, 2018 4:49 PM (EST)

Floral Park Mayor Dominick Longobardi says new proposals that would increase the size of the proposed $1 billion development at Belmont Park, which includes an arena for the New York Islanders, would jeopardize the village’s “way of life.”...

Longobardi, a member of a state advisory committee focused on the development, expressed concern about a planned 40,000-square-foot electric substation near the Floral Park-Bellerose School and a proposal for a 250-room hotel. At about 24 stories, it would be one of the county’s tallest buildings...

This only heightens our concerns about the manner in which this process is being conducted,” Longobardi said. “The new proposal clearly shows a direct impact to Floral Park and previous representations and written communication can be described as misleading, to put it mildly.

The message is posted on the village website.

State Sen. Elaine Phillips (R-Flower Hill) said she was “disappointed” with the modifications to the redevelopment plan.

“Communities surrounding Belmont were led to believe that development would fall into very specific parameters,” Phillips said. “It now appears those parameters have not only changed, but have very significant additions that must be discussed with everyone who is impacted by this design.”...'

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Mayor’s Message 2-28-18

'Among the most troubling additions to this proposal are: (1) the plans to now use the North Parking Lot (which borders the Floral Park Bellerose School and many residences in the West End), despite prior written representations that excluded the North Parking Lot from this proposal; (2) the addition of a 40,000 square feet electric substation to be situated next to the Floral Park Bellerose School; and (3) the significant expansion of the previously proposed hotel to now be a 265 feet high hotel, which would be one of the tallest buildings in Nassau County if approved, with zoning setbacks, lot size, and building coverage requirements waived. These problems are compounded by the fact that the Scoping Document proposes a study area of only ½ mile from two “Project Site” parcels to the south of the Belmont Race Track property for many analyses, even though it is now clear that the project will utilize significant areas to the north of the Race Track property as well. The net effect of this arbitrary approach will be to ensure that impact to residents in places like Bellerose and much of the Village of Floral Park are ignored...

February 28, 2018
Dominick A. Longobardi
Mayor
Inc. Village of Floral Park'

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Mayor’s Message 2-28-18

'Among the most troubling additions to this proposal are: (1) the plans to now use the North Parking Lot (which borders the Floral Park Bellerose School and many residences in the West End), despite prior written representations that excluded the North Parking Lot from this proposal; (2) the addition of a 40,000 square feet electric substation to be situated next to the Floral Park Bellerose School; and (3) the significant expansion of the previously proposed hotel to now be a 265 feet high hotel, which would be one of the tallest buildings in Nassau County if approved, with zoning setbacks, lot size, and building coverage requirements waived. These problems are compounded by the fact that the Scoping Document proposes a study area of only ½ mile from two “Project Site” parcels to the south of the Belmont Race Track property for many analyses, even though it is now clear that the project will utilize significant areas to the north of the Race Track property as well. The net effect of this arbitrary approach will be to ensure that impact to residents in places like Bellerose and much of the Village of Floral Park are ignored...

February 28, 2018
Dominick A. Longobardi
Mayor
Inc. Village of Floral Park'

Wow this is fantastic information! Sadly, the mayor of Floral Park has literally no say. Its the equivalent of you protesting. But thanks for providing the thoughts of a person who collects $12k to do nothing!

You know mayors of townships in LI are basically a volunteer position?

Thanks for stirring the pot from 3500 miles away and another country though!!!

Reactions: Eberzal

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Wow this is fantastic information! Sadly, the mayor of Floral Park has literally no say. Its the equivalent of you protesting. But thanks for providing the thoughts of a person who collects $12k to do nothing!

You know mayors of townships in LI are basically a volunteer position?

Thanks for stirring the pot from 3500 miles away and another country though!!!

1. Personally I think Longobardi is a certified wacko in his own right, but I would think his opposition will carry more weight than what I say.

2. I would imagine Longobardi makes more than 12k a year.

3. While Longobardi's pouting may amount to nothing, Phillips opposition may be more problematic, since she is a New York State Senator, who likely has more say than a village mayor.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Concerns about size, scope, and process are inevitable and there will be public posturing and private deal making that will address them.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
1. Personally I think Longobardi is a certified wacko in his own right, but I would think his opposition will carry more weight than what I say.

2. I would imagine Longobardi makes more than 12k a year.

3. While Longobardi's pouting may amount to nothing, Phillips opposition may be more problematic, since she is a New York State Senator, who likely has more say than a village mayor.

He makes about $12K a year. It is a public record. No Long Island town mayor makes much money. These are mostly ceremonial positions.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The people who would be mosted impacted by development of the north parking lot are the residents of the Village of Bellerose. So far we haven’t heard a peep from them.

There are some people in Floral Park, Elmont, and Bellerose who want to see this project go forward.

Reactions: periferal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad