News Article: Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion (Islanders to play 20 games at NVMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think we need to pump the brakes a bit on the hysteria. We've received a perspective from a company that doesn't let us know what "stonewalling" means, other than the Islanders didn't exactly 100% buy into their ideas. I'm dubious on anyone that pumps Yorkmark's tires. Getting a home that the team owns, and out of a terribly shaped and designed arena, is just as important as improving the on-ice product, and it's a long-term issue. Yormark also wants the team out of, not in, Barclays.
Are we pumping tires or brakes?

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Randi Marshall's thoughts on whether the MTA issues are relevant to getting Belmont built:

@gear316 is actually my twitter handle. Randi went apeshit when I exposed Belmont LIRR's limitations. Only time will tell what the Isles will accept in terms of Belmont LIRR improvements

State: Public meetings set for Islanders arena

'By Jim Baumbach[email protected] @jimbaumbachUpdated February 27, 2018 9:29 AM (EST)

The community will get an opportunity to provide input into the planned Islanders arena at Belmont Park at two public meetings on the same day next month in Elmont, state officials said Tuesday.

The consecutive two-hour meetings are scheduled for 3:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. on March 22 at Elmont Public Library, representing the start of the most significant stage in Empire State Development’s lengthy environmental review prior to breaking ground.

The public meetings were announced in a 32-page notice posted on Empire State Development’s website Tuesday morning and in an advertisement by the agency in Newsday’s Tuesday print edition...

The arena is expected to take more than three years to complete, which would put the opening near the start of the 2021-22 hockey season.

A Newsday analysis of the state approval and construction process, as well as interviews with people involved in the project, indicate that at least 38 months would be needed before the arena could be ready...'

https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/news-articles/ESD_Belmont_Park_Draft_Scope.pdf

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
@gear316 is actually my twitter handle. Randi went ape**** when I exposed Belmont LIRR's limitations. Only time will tell what the Isles will accept in terms of Belmont LIRR improvements

'By Jim Baumbach[email protected] @jimbaumbachUpdated February 27, 2018 9:29 AM (EST)

The community will get an opportunity to provide input into the planned Islanders arena at Belmont Park at two public meetings on the same day next month in Elmont, state officials said Tuesday.

The consecutive two-hour meetings are scheduled for 3:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. on March 22 at Elmont Public Library, representing the start of the most significant stage in Empire State Development’s lengthy environmental review prior to breaking ground.

The public meetings were announced in a 32-page notice posted on Empire State Development’s website Tuesday morning and in an advertisement by the agency in Newsday’s Tuesday print edition...

The arena is expected to take more than three years to complete, which would put the opening near the start of the 2021-22 hockey season.

A Newsday analysis of the state approval and construction process, as well as interviews with people involved in the project, indicate that at least 38 months would be needed before the arena could be ready...'

https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/news-articles/ESD_Belmont_Park_Draft_Scope.pdf

Again, why are you reaching out to people that can put out an agenda in the media? You have no ties to Nassau County. A supposed family member lives 15 minutes away....in Queens. Why do you try to stir the pot from 3500 miles away? Have you every driven on the Cross Island? Hempstead Tpke? And if that's "ape****," then youre softer than baby sh**

How are those re-drawing of the city lines going?

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
That's going ape***? I don't think you know what going ape**** is then.

Again, why are you reaching out to people that can put out an agenda in the media? You have no ties to Nassau County. A supposed family member lives 15 minutes away....in Queens. Why do you try to stir the pot from 3500 miles away? Have you every driven on the Cross Island? Hempstead Tpke? And if that's "ape****," then youre softer than baby sh**

How are those re-drawing of the city lines going?

1. Thank you for clarifying ape****

2. Sounds like NYS wants to make sure all the Belmont Park lots within Nassau County.
(Figure 1 or page 2 of ESD document)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
My friends...

I strongly encourage you to read this article below. Quite simply the best thing I've read about how/why getting Belmont full-time (and eastbound) LIRR service is such a challenge...

Getting LIRR to Isles Arena Could Require Bending Space-Time

Running direct service from Long Island to Belmont Park would be like doing a three-point turn in the middle of a highway, but with a train

https://www.villagevoice.com/2018/01/30/getting-lirr-to-isles-arena-could-require-bending-space-time/

Reactions: Steve55

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
@gear316 is actually my twitter handle. Randi went ape**** when I exposed Belmont LIRR's limitations. Only time will tell what the Isles will accept in terms of Belmont LIRR improvements

So that we're clear:

1) You engaged in a conversation with a journalist who, unlike you, lives within Long Island, within this state, within this country, and whose livelihood is to cover local events, including politics.

2) You believe that by repeating a story that you did not write, that the journalist was already aware of, and that the journalist explicitly stated that she already read, that you "exposed" information concerning the development of a property?

3) When the journalist calmly responded to you by stating that she already reviewed your "story," and does not think it is relevant to whether the arena ultimately gets built, she went "ape****" on you?

I nearly forgot to post the Tweet you were responding to in the first place:

My friends...

I strongly encourage you to read this article below. Quite simply the best thing I've read about how/why getting Belmont full-time (and eastbound) LIRR service is such a challenge...

FYI, our friend Steve55 had already posted this story a little while back. This is Randi Marshall's reply that I posted above.

Last edited:
Reactions: nyisles and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Where did she go apeshit?

You’re an alarmist!

Reactions: The Lighthouse

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Very enlightening article - thanks. Things that jump out at me:

"350,000 gross square footage of luxury outlet stores". And Malkin's business is developing and operating luxury outlet shopping centers. Coincidence, I'm sure.

They're not sure if the shopping will be next to the arena (as shown initially) or south of Hempstead Tpk. In either case, estimated parking totals are down from the original estimates, but "[a]dditional parking for either option is located north of the track in what’s now unpaved land". A corner of that parking area is shown in the photo in the tweet you posted. Not sure if they do some kind of shuttle, or if people just hoof it (I park further than that and walk when I go to hockey games in Philly).

"[T]he developers anticipate more than 150 events at the arena per year, including 41 Islanders home games, 50 major events such as a concert, 80 midsize events such as Disney on Ice, and 39 smaller events such as conferences." That's a pretty busy schedule, and I assume they're not just making up the numbers because of the Arena Alliance. On a related note, NYCB Live will be available for weddings and Bar Mitzvahs.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Very enlightening article - thanks. Things that jump out at me:

"350,000 gross square footage of luxury outlet stores". And Malkin's business is developing and operating luxury outlet shopping centers. Coincidence, I'm sure.

They're not sure if the shopping will be next to the arena (as shown initially) or south of Hempstead Tpk. In either case, estimated parking totals are down from the original estimates, but "[a]dditional parking for either option is located north of the track in what’s now unpaved land". A corner of that parking area is shown in the photo in the tweet you posted. Not sure if they do some kind of shuttle, or if people just hoof it (I park further than that and walk when I go to hockey games in Philly).

"[T]he developers anticipate more than 150 events at the arena per year, including 41 Islanders home games, 50 major events such as a concert, 80 midsize events such as Disney on Ice, and 39 smaller events such as conferences." That's a pretty busy schedule, and I assume they're not just making up the numbers because of the Arena Alliance. On a related note, NYCB Live will be available for weddings and Bar Mitzvahs.
I just read the article. I hope they put the shopping district next to the arena rather than across Hempstead Turnpike. It would preserve the over 2,000 parking spots available in the south lot and keeps all the attractions at the new Belmont right next to each other. Less chance of people leaving the arena and saying "screw it, it's snowing. I'm not walking under Hempstead Turnpike to hang out."

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
would be great if they can do something with belmont that is similar to what Vegas did with the Park area near T-Mobile - especially if they could somehow make it climate controlled... something like a hybrid of the Park area and Fremont Street.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

"Regarding the retail, Isles group proposes "a village type atmosphere... pedestrian pathways and squares, lined with small and unique buildings featuring boutiques, restaurants, and special events to complement the shopping experience." No big box retail use."

Maybe like this? Scott Malkin on his retail shopping villages: "We exist to make the brands happy, the villages exist to make the women happy. We’re more likely to do something else in China or the U.S., a major market, than we would be to build more villages in Europe." https://vrdigitalprodcmsmedia.blob....alueretailscottmalkinonthejoyofdiscomfort.pdf

And this is what Malkin builds. Kinda sounds like what they describe above.

Bicester_3272312b.jpg

Reactions: periferal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad