News Article: Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion (Islanders to play 20 games at NVMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
That might be the single most bizarre statement I have ever read on these here boards.

And I've read and posted some weird ****.

December 27, 2003 was the date I became an Isles fan full time. I was working that night when Isles tripled up on Toronto 3-1. I have generally preferred Isles over the Rangers before becoming an Isles fan; the 2002 Toronto series really touched me

Last edited:

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
What does this have to do with the Islanders at Belmont?

Well... not as much as I thought when I misread this line:

"Curran said that given the competition with Belmont, plans for the largest undeveloped piece of county land need to be rethought."

So, you know, nevermind and stuff.

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore
That might be the single most bizarre statement I have ever read on these here boards.

And I've read and posted some weird ****.
While isolated in Nassau, the Isles have only penetrated like 15% of their potential fanbase, especially the corporate market.

Getting hidden back out there? Horrible for the long-term success, especially at Belmont now that it has been confirmed that the LIRR will not be able to provide regular services to the freight rail spur. Must make their rival real happy that they can control the following of the isles:
  • Dominate print media coverage
  • Dominate TV media coverage
  • Take up role as Isles landlord while protecting long term legacy of their own club by locking down almost all of the regions corporate revenue

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
While isolated in Nassau, the Isles have only penetrated like 15% of their potential fanbase, especially the corporate market.

Getting hidden back out there? Horrible for the long-term success, especially at Belmont now that it has been confirmed that the LIRR will not be able to provide regular services to the freight rail spur. Must make their rival real happy that they can control the following of the isles:
  • Take up role as Isles landlord while protecting long term legacy of their own club by locking down almost all of the regions corporate revenue
Confirmed that the LIRR will not be able to provide regular service??? NO SUCH THING HAS EVER BEEN CONFIRMED.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

What in the hell are you talking about?

I was commenting on his post mentioning the exact date he recalled becoming an Isles fan.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
December 27, 2003 was the date I became an Isles fan full time. I was working that night when Isles tripled up on Toronto 3-1. I have generally preferred Isles over the Rangers before becoming an Isles fan; the 2002 Toronto series really touched me

If the savants at Carnegie Mellon were working on a robot that could freely post on a message board, this is what I think it would sound like while they worked out the kinks.

Reactions: Bones45 and Eberzal

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Pally says it won’t be all funded with public money, meaning the Islanders arena development team, will likely have to pony up a good portion of the investment.
“The people benefitting from the project would have to help fund the project,” he said.
Pally pointed to prior examples of developers contributing substantial money for similar projects, such as the Atlantic Terminal subway station next to Barclays Center, for which arena developer Forest City Ratner put $75 million towards.

I asked Richard Browne about this at the last community meeting and while he couldn’t be specific he did say that he expects that costs will be covered in part by NYAP, that there will be a private-public partnership.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
If the savants at Carnegie Mellon were working on a robot that could freely post on a message board, this is what I think it would sound like while they worked out the kinks.

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 5; I am now 37.

Hub developer tells legislators of mixed-use plan

'By Candice Ferrette[email protected] @CferretteUpdated May 2, 2018 10:39 PM (EDT)

A high-tech golf driving range, indoor go-karting, rock climbing, e-sporting areas and green space would be the initial key elements to creating a place for young people who would eventually live, work and play at the Nassau Hub, according to the developers seeking to build on the 77-acre site in the center of the county.

Blumenfeld Development Group partners told Nassau County legislators for the first time in a public hearing Wednesday night they would first seek to add entertainment and retail that complements the property’s anchor, NYCB Live’s Nassau Coliseum, with their privately financed plan to transform the parcel. Technology companies and housing geared toward attracting millennials would follow, they said...'

Last edited:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

I mentioned this 55 pages ago -- I stumbled across a bunch of LIRR employees on the way west through Hillside Facility one very early morning. I asked them about the full service Belmont from both directions -- and their general answer was not going to happen your lifetime.

I'll suspect that the better way to manage would be to run extra local trains westbound on game days/times which will pass Belmont, stop at Jamaica, and then head back east into the station. "Local train to Belmont, stopping at Central Islip, Brentwood, Deer Park, Farmingdale, Bethpage, Hicksville, Mineola, Jamaica and Belmont. Change at Jamaica for all other stations. Lets go Islanders/"

Inconvenient and a time waster, but its far easier to deal with than having to change trains entirely. And other than revamping the existing Belmont station to accommodate extra volume and trains , it wouldn't require the massive track work for the first scenario.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I mentioned this 55 pages ago -- I stumbled across a bunch of LIRR employees on the way west through Hillside Facility one very early morning. I asked them about the full service Belmont from both directions -- and their general answer was not going to happen your lifetime.

I'll suspect that the better way to manage would be to run extra local trains westbound on game days/times which will pass Belmont, stop at Jamaica, and then head back east into the station. "Local train to Belmont, stopping at Central Islip, Brentwood, Deer Park, Farmingdale, Bethpage, Hicksville, Mineola, Jamaica and Belmont. Change at Jamaica for all other stations. Lets go Islanders/"

Inconvenient and a time waster, but its far easier to deal with than having to change trains entirely. And other than revamping the existing Belmont station to accommodate extra volume and trains , it wouldn't require the massive track work for the first scenario.
I think you’ll be the only one riding the train to Belmont from the east. My gut instinct is that most people from your area would rather drive. My other instinct is they will never create service for Belmont from the east, that anything they do to the spur will be designed to bring people from the city to Belmont, and people from Elmont and Franklin Square will benefit from that in the form of a park n ride and service from their community to the city.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I think you’ll be the only one riding the train to Belmont from the east. My gut instinct is that most people from your area would rather drive. My other instinct is they will never create service for Belmont from the east, that anything they do to the spur will be designed to bring people from the city to Belmont, and people from Elmont and Franklin Square will benefit from that in the form of a park n ride and service from their community to the city.

All entirely possible. Everyone is going to want to drive and tailgate early and late in the season. But for the majority of the hockey season, the weather in NY is in the crapper. To be able to jump on a train on a rainy day in Feb and go door to door without traffic and umbrellas and getting soaked, and oh yeah.. probably paying as much as you will to park, I think the train would work. Being able to chat/complain with fellow Isles fans, and drink your pansy ass craft beers along the way is also a selling point.

I guess we'll find out --

or..

the team plays in Ronkonkoma, and I walk to the game!!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
All entirely possible. Everyone is going to want to drive and tailgate early and late in the season. But for the majority of the hockey season, the weather in NY is in the crapper. To be able to jump on a train on a rainy day in Feb and go door to door without traffic and umbrellas and getting soaked, and oh yeah.. probably paying as much as you will to park, I think the train would work. Being able to chat/complain with fellow Isles fans, and drink your pansy ass craft beers along the way is also a selling point.

I guess we'll find out --

or..

the team plays in Ronkonkoma, and I walk to the game!!

You'll be able to do that at one of the brew pubs that's sure to open in the new retail village at Belmont.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I think it might be the Zuck-bot

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad