News Article: Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion (Islanders to play 20 games at NVMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011

Tweet time is Pacific

Newsday said:
“As the development community weighs whether to respond to this latest chapter at the Hub the more sophisticated players know that BDG [Blumenfeld Development Group] submitted a transformative plan to the Nassau County Legislature that received bipartisan praise, Hempstead Town support and that BDG is now obligated to consider all of its options in the days to come,” said Lewi.

aldine-bender-strip-mall.jpg

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

20 protestors, their attorney, and Jumaane Williams a city councilman who represents East Flatbush and has no vested interest in Elmont.

I hope they enjoyed their afternoon at the track.

If Jumaane Williams came then it’s fair to wonder how many of the estimated 36 protestors were brought along by Williams who are not local residents.

Last edited:

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This "protest" included three dozen people? haha What a bunch of losers. My favorite part is them "vowing" to return on June 9 to protest at the Belmont Stakes. Yeah, I am sure the 30 of them are going to interrupt an event with 90,000+ people attending (myself included). Nobody will even notice them.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
With the state of New Jersey winning the right to open a sports book at Monmouth Park and sports betting to become a state’s rights issue, seems like there will be a great opportunity to put a sports book at Belmont Park, creating a bigger revenue growth opportunity and some synergy with the arena project. Belmont could really blossom as a sports and entertainement complex in the future.

Reactions: Costigan77

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
The Point: Inside the LIRR president’s mind

'May 22, 2018 3:57 PM

DAILY POINT
Getting the LIRR on track

Long Island Rail Road President Phil Eng met with the Newsday editorial board for a two-hour, wide-ranging conversation on Tuesday afternoon.
One of the many things we learned during his first visit to our Melville office is that he thinks of Belmont Park as a potential full-service transit hub in the futureone that can accommodate the planned development at the site and also meet the growing needs of the neighboring communities.
And that means anything’s possible for the future of the LIRR station at Belmont, Eng told the board.
“Let’s not limit ourselves in terms of our imagination,” Eng said. “I need to be prepared for this thing happening. It’s going to happen.
Eng said his ultimate goal would be to create “a full station that supports the development but also fits the community.”...'

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Point: Inside the LIRR president’s mind

'May 22, 2018 3:57 PM

DAILY POINT
Getting the LIRR on track

Long Island Rail Road President Phil Eng met with the Newsday editorial board for a two-hour, wide-ranging conversation on Tuesday afternoon.
One of the many things we learned during his first visit to our Melville office is that he thinks of Belmont Park as a potential full-service transit hub in the futureone that can accommodate the planned development at the site and also meet the growing needs of the neighboring communities.
And that means anything’s possible for the future of the LIRR station at Belmont, Eng told the board.
“Let’s not limit ourselves in terms of our imagination,” Eng said. “I need to be prepared for this thing happening. It’s going to happen.
Eng said his ultimate goal would be to create “a full station that supports the development but also fits the community.”...'

I love his attitude. It's just that with so many qualified people pointing out the numerous physical obstacles for it to happen, I'd like to know what his plan is to overcome them.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
I love his attitude. It's just that with so many qualified people pointing out the numerous physical obstacles for it to happen, I'd like to know what his plan is to overcome them.

I would also like to know Eng's plans to overcome physical and financial barriers in making Belmont LIRR full time

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
I would also like to know Eng's plans to overcome physical and financial barriers in making Belmont LIRR full time
Everything we think we know about how the LIRR works will be changing over the next 3-5 years as the third track project, the Brooklyn scoot line and the East Side Access project get finished. This isn't someone outside the LIRR, or the NYAP, this is the head of the railroad, who is privy to the thinking of how the LIRR will (or should) work in the coming years. If he thinks there's a way to make this happen, I'd guess he's in the best position to know. There's no reason for him to be blowing smoke in a newspaper interview if he didn't think that it was doable. We'll just have to wait to see what that is.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Oh yeah because the LIRR has been run so perfectly over the years.

The east side access has only been delayed 15 years and $3 billion over budget. So I’m sure the other projects will go just as smooth.

It’s probably the most backward run organization on Long Island I wouldn’t put too much stock into anything they say.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Oh yeah because the LIRR has been run so perfectly over the years.

The east side access has only been delayed 15 years and $3 billion over budget. So I’m sure the other projects will go just as smooth.

It’s probably the most backward run organization on Long Island I wouldn’t put too much stock into anything they say.
Those projects are massive undertakings. With Belmont what we're talking about is smoothing out one merge point and installing signals on 1/2 mile of track.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Everything we think we know about how the LIRR works will be changing over the next 3-5 years as the third track project, the Brooklyn scoot line and the East Side Access project get finished. This isn't someone outside the LIRR, or the NYAP, this is the head of the railroad, who is privy to the thinking of how the LIRR will (or should) work in the coming years. If he thinks there's a way to make this happen, I'd guess he's in the best position to know. There's no reason for him to be blowing smoke in a newspaper interview if he didn't think that it was doable. We'll just have to wait to see what that is.

The logistics of peak service for the Belmont spur would require too much money, as the AM train would have to cross over three tracks. There probably isnt enough space for an overpass. It likely isn't worth it for one station, especially if they don't know what the demand is going to be.

fixed

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The logistics of peak service for the Belmont spur would require too much money, as the AM train would have to cross over three tracks. There probably isnt enough space for an overpass. It likely isn't worth it for one station, especially if they don't know what the demand is going to be.

fixed
Even at peak service I doubt there will be more than 3 trains an hour in and out of Belmont and 1 train an hour off peak. Maybe the answer is as simple as thinning out Hempstead Branch service since that is the branch likely to lose ridership to a new Belmont service.

Whatever the case I’m sure there is a solution to this.

Reactions: periferal

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
Even at peak service I doubt there will be more than 3 trains an hour in and out of Belmont and 1 train an hour off peak. Maybe the answer is as simple as thinning out Hempstead Branch service since that is the branch likely to lose ridership to a new Belmont service.

Whatever the case I’m sure there is a solution to this.

I know I'm not telling you anything you're not already familiar with. The problem is the same one the westbound Hempstead train has now: it has to wait for all eastbound and westbound train traffic to clear.
Even during AM peak, eastbound trains toward Mineola have ROW.
I saw this all the time when I commuted from Q.V. to A.T.
It's not bad when the LIRR is running on or close, but when there's a signal prolem at Jamaica, Penn, or East River tunnel, or a rail crossing collision on the main line that causes massive delays it disrupts the entire system.

I'm not sure the solution is worth the investment.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I know I'm not telling you anything you're not already familiar with. The problem is the same one the westbound Hempstead train has now: it has to wait for all eastbound and westbound train traffic to clear.
Even during AM peak, eastbound trains toward Mineola have ROW.
I saw this all the time when I commuted from Q.V. to A.T.
It's not bad when the LIRR is running on or close, but when there's a signal prolem at Jamaica, Penn, or East River tunnel, or a rail crossing collision on the main line that causes massive delays it disrupts the entire system.

I'm not sure the solution is worth the investment.
The game is going to change shortly. There will be opportunities to increase capacity. There will be a widening of the right-of-way and a 3rd track installed between Floral Park and Hicksville, East Side Access (whenever they finish it) will allow some trains to be routed to Grand Central. If the solution to the QV bottleneck is sending some Ronkonkoma trains via the Babylon Branch to Jamaica or thinning out Hempstead and Oyster Bay service to create some windows for a Belmont train to merge in, or building a flyover into QV, I’m sure it can be made to happen.

Reactions: periferal

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Lou was on ESPN radio yesterday. He was asked about the timeline for Belmont. He responded that he thought 3 years was the longest and that it could get done sooner. Lou told Kay that he got the new Devils arena done sooner than 3 years and it faced the same type of local opposition.

Reactions: MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad