News Article: Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion (Islanders to play 20 games at NVMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Elmont resident looking for compensation for being inconvenienced by construction and future traffic problems. ESD discussing mittigation for those future problems.

And there you have it. Resident looking for a handout.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
ESD: permit parking only for residential area abutting sout parking lot to keep others from parking there.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Resident: Has market research been done to see if people will come. If fans won’t go to Barclays why will they come here? What if it doesn’t work? NYAP: the team is not viable in Brooklyn, existing fanbase is largely Nassau/Suffolk based. We know where they live, what zip codes they live in. Retail component is going for another brick and mortar dev because Value Retail looks to build destination complex that follows their current market model. We are creating tourist destination. This is our first Value Retail foray into NY market.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
ESD: NYRAs future plans for reconstructed grandstand and night racing is part of the EIS.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
ESD: financing has to be finalized with developer. NYAP: there will be no tax burden to local residents. No hotel or entertainment tax to be created for this project

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
NYAP: no intention to use new market tax credit for this project. ESD: there is no eminant domain involved in this project, different from Barclays Center.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
ESD feels the retail component will keep this project from becoming another Citi Field or Barclays Center (devolved into junk bond status)

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
NYAP: there are 17.5 million people in a 60 mile radius and there is enough utilization for this project

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Local embroiderer is an Islanders contractor tells crowd small businesses are seeked out by NHL to do work for the local teams. Tells local businesses you will be the ones looked for when the team needs work. Large applause.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Resident: will mkney be going to local school districts. NYAP: money will go to community benefits program. Cannot state who gets what or how much.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Another local businessman supports this project 100%. Asks what will swuare footage and price per sq ft of retail. ESD: not determined at this time.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Longtime Coliseum vendor complains these arena jobs don’t pay enough.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
NYAP: we do not need the Islanders for the retail component to be successful. Value Retail has a unique market model and it will be unique to New York and Long Island. The mission of this project is to enhance and create synergy with the race track and create spillover business between all components.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
The thought that Ledecky Wang and Malkin can build arenas and hotels and shopping centers....they cant even fire the worst GM in hockey or hire a coach or front office person with anybexpierence...but they can build 700 million dollar buildings? These 3 couldnt build a 2 story house properly would take them 30 years. Malkin must of had someone with brains building his malls. Wang obviously got lucky with CA. I dont know how Lwdecky made any money for now I will asume hes not a fool just a minority owner who cant touch the front office.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
My takeaways:

The opposition to this is not impressive. Sexton is a clownish blowhard with an inflated sense of purpose. Tammie is a community organizer who couldn't even fill up a small theater to oppose tonight and Elmont and Floral Park seem to be getting concessions leaving little else to whine about other than traffic and will this work...

The men and women on stage struck me as very professional. They handled tonight effortlessly.

Thanks MJF for the recaps.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The thought that Ledecky Wang and Malkin can build arenas and hotels and shopping centers....they cant even fire the worst GM in hockey or hire a coach or front office person with anybexpierence...but they can build 700 million dollar buildings? These 3 couldnt build a 2 story house properly would take them 30 years. Malkin must of had someone with brains building his malls. Wang obviously got lucky with CA. I dont know how Lwdecky made any money for now I will asume hes not a fool just a minority owner who cant touch the front office.
I’m amazed just how many people attach Garth Snow and whether he gets fired or not to the ownership group’s competence to develop a project like Belmont. I’m pretty sure it just doesn’t work that way.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
My takeaways:

The opposition to this is not impressive. Sexton is a clownish blowhard with an inflated sense of purpose. Tammie is a community organizer who couldn't even fill up a small theater to oppose tonight and Elmont and Floral Park seem to be getting concessions leaving little else to whine about other than traffic and will this work...

The men and women on stage struck me as very professional. They handled tonight effortlessly.

Thanks MJF for the recaps.
You’re welcome.

I see a small but vocal group of locals opposed to the project but not enought to deter it. Tammie Williams and her 125 member oppositin group, about 150 people at this meeting, not all of those locals are opposed to the development. The numbers just don’t add up.

And I agree about Sexton. He’s almost a caricature of a squeaky wheel howling at the moon.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Sexton up again. How much has NYAP and partners donated to Gov Cuomo?

I don't know who this Sexton person is, but they just sound really annoying. Cuomo, Trump, Republican, or Democratic this is how politics kinda work. Move out of Belmont if it is such a big deal.

Right after your house increases in price due to the Belmont project of course.

Reactions: periferal and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't know who this Sexton person is, but they just sound really annoying. Cuomo, Trump, Republican, or Democratic this is how politics kinda work. Move out of Belmont if it is such a big deal.

Right after your house increases in price due to the Belmont project of course.
Here’s a sample from his twitter feed

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I’m amazed just how many people attach Garth Snow and whether he gets fired or not to the ownership group’s competence to develop a project like Belmont. I’m pretty sure it just doesn’t work that way.

In my opinion..If You dont have the brains to know hockey as well as a 12 year old fan...and you buy a team run it into the ground for 20 years like Wang has and Malkins been doing here for 4 years...its hard to imagine they could run a restaurant properly if they cant even run a simple thing like a hockey team. look at Wang. Couldnt get anything done on Long Island due to being thick headed stubburn and surrounding himself with failure types. Once Isles leave Coliseums on its second upgrade ronkonkoma wants a building...

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
You’re welcome.

I see a small but vocal group of locals opposed to the project but not enought to deter it. Tammie Williams and her 125 member oppositin group, about 150 people at this meeting, not all of those locals are opposed to the development. The numbers just don’t add up.

And I agree about Sexton. He’s almost a caricature of a squeaky wheel howling at the moon.

Thanks for the updates in today's meeeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad