GDT: Bronze, Cesko vs Finland, 9am est

Poro24

May 4, 2005
Finland
Congrats Czechia! Nice to see you doing good after many tough years.

Finlands ice hockey federation does not care about this tournament or player development. They only care about making money with the mens team in Euro Hockey Tour (Karjala tournament). And it's important for the federation that all their friends are having a good time. So if you are a friend of the federation or a former NHL player with zero coaching experience, then you deserve to be one of the coaches for the U20 National team.

Czechia will take Finlands place in the "big four". It will be Canada, Sweden, USA and Czechia. That is nice.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
One of the best games I’ve ever watched. Even though I had to watch the 3rd period in class lol. Happy for the Czechs. I kind of had a feeling they’d score the 6th goal in regulation after they tied it, but when I saw the light turn on after Hamara shot the puck I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Crazy game

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Not saying its causation (maybe a bit) but has any team benefitted from Russia's exclusion more than the Czechs? 17 consecutive tournaments (18 years) without a medal and now Silver and Bronze back to back. Semi final appearances (4th in 2022) in all 3 tournaments without Russia.

Not saying it's also not somewhat helping circumstance but not like we had sucked pre-Russia ban and then we continued to suck but just that one left space got us weaker opponents so we could get the medals. That would be just too far from true. It's rather a coincidence that the Russia ban was issued just when our U20 team was trending upwards. You can just compare the results against non-Russia teams pre a after 2022. I mean..
The thing we eliminated the US in the quarters (2022) is not thing Russia absence can affect.
The thing we eliminated Swedes in the semis (2023), which we otherwise havent beaten in 10+ years, is not thing Russia absence can affect.
The thing we beated Canada twice (2023 and 2024 - once in an elimination game), plus one time in the final lost ONLY in the OT is not really thing Russia absence can effect. Especially when our pre 2022 Canada games were always lopsided. I mean they hadnt been even tiny tiny close.
The thing we today beated Finland in the bronze medal game is also not something Russia absence could effect.
So as far as you ask me, the credit goes mostly to the improved Czech performance.
(Not to mention, Russia was a team we were stil able to beat and quite often we did beat even when we sucked.)

RBbandit

Jan 4, 2020
Hahah too bad i didn't see that tweet, i would've put all my earthly belongings for Czechs to win. It's a kiss of death.

Congrats Czechia, my second favorite team. Just please change your logo back to that old one, it was legendary.
Next jerseys will be with the old logo which is the National coat of arms. This "scania logo" is BS anyways

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that our young Finnish lions can be very proud of this tourney. We are a small nation with big ambitions, and it's not too bad to lose to a bigger hockey nation sometimes. Next year our coach will have more experience, and maybe we have a better class of players, so only the sky is the limit going forwards!

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Hahah too bad i didn't see that tweet, i would've put all my earthly belongings for Czechs to win. It's a kiss of death.

Congrats Czechia, my second favorite team. Just please change your logo back to that old one, it was legendary.
Senior NT will be back to the national emblem.

Not saying it's also not somewhat helping circumstance but not like we had sucked pre-Russia ban and then we continued to suck but just that one left space got us weaker opponents so we could get the medals. That would be just too far from true. It's rather a coincidence that the Russia ban was issued just when our U20 team was trending upwards. You can just compare the results against non-Russia teams pre a after 2022. I mean..
The thing we eliminated the US in the quarters (2022) is not thing Russia absence can affect.
The thing we eliminated Swedes in the semis (2023), which we otherwise havent beaten in 10+ years, is not thing Russia absence can affect.
The thing we beated Canada twice (2023 and 2024 - once in an elimination game), plus one time in the final lost ONLY in the OT is not really thing Russia absence can effect. Especially when our pre 2022 Canada games were always lopsided. I mean they hadnt been even tiny tiny close.
The thing we today beated Finland in the bronze medal game is also not something Russia absence could effect.
So as far as you ask me, the credit goes mostly to the improved Czech performance.
(Not to mention, Russia was a team we were stil able to beat and quite often we did beat even when we sucked.)
People who don’t turn into a gear they didn’t know they had against shouldn’t play for Czech NT. (Half-sarcasm)

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
1704493838470.jpeg

Congrats Czechia! You took our boys to school and showed what 60 minute hockey game means.

Hissy fit from the finnish players at end was embarrassing and very un-finnish like.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
View attachment 796770
Congrats Czechia! You took our boys to school and showed what 60 minute hockey game means.

Hissy fit from the finnish players at end was embarrassing and very un-finnish like.
I think he was still pissed about the headshot tbh. Sapo is a world class pain in the ass too.lol. No idea what his personality is like but his playing style is frustrating as hell. I love him.lol.

Congrats on a nice tournament and turnaround after Germany loss.

Reactions: SantosHalper

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
All of this. Perfect post!

We went from routinely losing 6-1 to Canada to beating them and losing in OT games and no Russia is not getting credit for that.lol.

The medals may be a result of that but not the results.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Congrats Czechia! Nice to see you doing good after many tough years.

Finlands ice hockey federation does not care about this tournament or player development. They only care about making money with the mens team in Euro Hockey Tour (Karjala tournament). And it's important for the federation that all their friends are having a good time. So if you are a friend of the federation or a former NHL player with zero coaching experience, then you deserve to be one of the coaches for the U20 National team.

Czechia will take Finlands place in the "big four". It will be Canada, Sweden, USA and Czechia. That is nice.
We don't want your place. We want a seat at the table with you!

Finn's are riding beautifully on a golden generation and need a best on best to show that.

We are many years away from being in big 5 again but are definitely trending correctly for a Big 5 again.

Just need 4 or 5 NHL Dman to join the NHL. Till then, we are not in the conversation IMO.

Hoping some combo of jiricek 2.0, svozil, Dvorak, hamara, cibilka, Alscher, svozil 2.0, Spacek and galvas can become NHL players.

We are probably years away from having 8 full time NHL d. Maybe never.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad