Value of: Brock Nelson and the rights to CDH to the Leafs

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
CdH isn't some stone handed d-man, he's pretty skilled. He was an offensive PMD coming up, Capuano did a masterful job with his development over the years. That dumbass turned a promising offensive d-man into a shut down defender with how he was deployed. Never got a chance on the PP, never understood that. Don't miss Flintstone, but Weight is more of the same. Sigh.

Anyway, I think de Haan is like Hamhuis when he was a UFA. Whoever signs him is going to get a good one. He does have his brain farts, but he's solid and can eat minutes.

I never understood why de Haan didn't see more PP time with the Isles, even if it was as a mainstay on the second unit.

I think he could have matched a guy like Paul Martin's totals (and overall game) if given a bit more of a chance.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I never understood why de Haan didn't see more PP time with the Isles, even if it was as a mainstay on the second unit.

I think he could have matched a guy like Paul Martin's totals (and overall game) if given a bit more of a chance.

It was bad enough to never give CdH a chance on the PP, I never understood Hickey on the PP before de Haan. Remember when Capuano was scratching CdH for Brian Strait? It was amazing how badly Capuano bungled his development.

I used to think he still had untapped offensive potential, but I think the Isles have completely killed that part of his game.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It was bad enough to never give CdH a chance on the PP, I never understood Hickey on the PP before de Haan. Remember when Capuano was scratching CdH for Brian Strait? It was amazing how badly Capuano bungled his development.

I used to think he still had untapped offensive potential, but I think the Isles have completely killed that part of his game.

The weird part was de Haan was always dependable defensively. Usually when coaches opt for "vet" over "young guy", it has to do with the young guy being a bit of a wildcard in his own zone.

But yeah, I think at his age, de Haan's offensive upside is probably capped out due to years of not being allowed to develop that part of his game. Kind of reminds me of players who are brought up from Junior way too early, and instead of developing offensively, they focus more on being "safe" and their offensive side never develops because of that.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
No offense to Islanders players but these guys are not worth giving up our first, were already down a 2nd, having 1 pick through the first 75 odd spots in the draft is not how you build a winner in todays league. Shocked leaf fans are on board, im not moving that pick unless its a package for a top 4 rhd.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No offense to Islanders players but these guys are not worth giving up our first, were already down a 2nd, having 1 pick through the first 75 odd spots in the draft is not how you build a winner in todays league. Shocked leaf fans are on board, im not moving that pick unless its a package for a top 4 rhd.

I think the reason some Leaf fans are on board, and I am not on board with giving up the 1st for Brock Nelson, but I think it's a peice we can move because this team is loaded with talent 25 and under, and I think that's why you are seeing some Leaf fans are on board because we don't need the 2018 1st because of the amount of 25 and under talent.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure why Leaf fans would even want Nelson. This series versus Boston is highlighting the fact the Leafs need to move away from some of these soft, one-dimensional scorers, not bring more in.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I think the reason some Leaf fans are on board, and I am not on board with giving up the 1st for Brock Nelson, but I think it's a peice we can move because this team is loaded with talent 25 and under, and I think that's why you are seeing some Leaf fans are on board because we don't need the 2018 1st because of the amount of 25 and under talent.

We don't "need" it but we are already seeing some of the rewards of a patient approach restocking in the draft with Dermott and Johnsson we've got Lilly in the wings who could be a player, all of these are pieces I would rather have considering team needs than Nelson so I hardly see the need to stray from the plan. Having a first gives us a better chance at a higher impact player or a player who fills a more important position or at the very least(hopefully) cheap talent to inject into a lineup during the pending cap crunch. We don't "need" our pick but burning it on a non essential asset wouldn't bode well for the future and could set a dangerous precedent going forward towards Nonis era pick burning.

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not sure why Leaf fans would even want Nelson. This series versus Boston is highlighting the fact the Leafs need to move away from some of these soft, one-dimensional scorers, not bring more in.

He makes no sense for the Leafs. May as well just keep Bozak unless Nelson is asking for significantly less. Heck even re-signing Plekanec for dirt cheap and sticking him with Marleau/Marner would be a better option than giving up the kind of assets Isles fans are dreaming for Nelson.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We don't "need" it but we are already seeing some of the rewards of a patient approach restocking in the draft with Dermott and Johnsson we've got Lilly in the wings who could be a player, all of these are pieces I would rather have considering team needs than Nelson so I hardly see the need to stray from the plan. Having a first gives us a better chance at a higher impact player or a player who fills a more important position or at the very least(hopefully) cheap talent to inject into a lineup during the pending cap crunch. We don't "need" our pick but burning it on a non essential asset wouldn't bode well for the future and could set a dangerous precedent going forward towards Nonis era pick burning.

At some point you are going to have to move a 1st, it doesn't have to be for Nelson in fact I don't want it to be but you can't keep every 1st ronderu there is only so much room for prospects

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

The objective in the end is to score more than the other team bring in as many scorers as you can

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Isles have a glut of young,cheap blueline kids which is why they think they can let CDH and his $5m per demand walk.
Denis Potvin says it takes 300 games to learn to play D at the NHL level. You want 4 more years of the garbage we saw this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad