Value of: Brock Nelson and the rights to CDH to the Leafs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Leafs are likely going to lose Bozak unless he comes back on a team friendly deal.

If Bozak goes they need a #3 center.

Enter Brock Nelson.

They also need a D man, I don't know that I want CDH but I do see him as a potential target given his age and potential long term fit.

What would it cost to land Brock Nelson and the rights to CDH?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Leafs are likely going to lose Bozak unless he comes back on a team friendly deal.

If Bozak goes they need a #3 center.

Enter Brock Nelson.

They also need a D man, I don't know that I want CDH but I do see him as a potential target given his age and potential long term fit.

What would it cost to land Brock Nelson and the rights to CDH?
If the isles are not meeting CDH's extension demands,I would guess they accept a 3td or 4th rounder.

Nelson is more effective on the wing then at center.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I've said this for ages but Nelson should be playing LW. It might make more sense viewing him as a lesser replacement for JVR then Bozak

In terms of trading Nelson, I am open to it but I want to make sure we trade for a 3rd line center first to replace him.

All that being said Plekanec for De Haan works for me

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I've said this for ages but Nelson should be playing LW. It might make more sense viewing him as a lesser replacement for JVR then Bozak

In terms of trading Nelson, I am open to it but I want to make sure we trade for a 3rd line center first to replace him.

Plek is a free agent, unless you meant you want to swap rights for those players.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Plek is a free agent, unless you meant you want to swap rights for those players.

Yes that is what I ment potential UFA for UFA to give both teams an edge of signing the guy. Assuming we can sign Tavares(but even if we don't) Plekanic would be a good fit for our 3rd line at the right price and I don't believe we are going to sign De Haan(which looks like a mistake but....)

Reactions: IODCPiper

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

But you just said he works better at LW so why rade for a center replace somebody who by your own admission is not a center

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
But you just said he works better at LW so why rade for a center replace somebody who by your own admission is not a center

Islanders center depth beyond Tavares, Barzal and Cizikas is not great, he is playing Center because we are forced to find a 4th guy to play that position. Everything I have seen from Nelson though tells me he is much better playing LW(mostly from World Championship tournaments).

As I said though until we can find an upgrade for that 3rd line center(ie a legit center who is good at faceoffs and above average defensively), I'd rather hold on to him. The whole Tavares situation makes matters worse

On a side note for the Leafs they might want to try sign Plekanec as a replacement for Bozak(ie he will be cheaper and take less years)

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
You don’t want Brock Nelson at Center. He can fill in and play center but he’s much more productive as a winger.

As far as CDHs rights that’s not going to cost much. A 5th or a 6th rounder maybe.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nelson has only been playing center because the Islanders didn’t have any other option.

Beauvillier struggled whenever he was put at cemter, and Cizikas is not a third line center.

Any acquiring team would be smart to view has as a winger coming in.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
But will he be worth the money he gets because he has very little offense

CdH isn't some stone handed d-man, he's pretty skilled. He was an offensive PMD coming up, Capuano did a masterful job with his development over the years. That dumbass turned a promising offensive d-man into a shut down defender with how he was deployed. Never got a chance on the PP, never understood that. Don't miss Flintstone, but Weight is more of the same. Sigh.

Anyway, I think de Haan is like Hamhuis when he was a UFA. Whoever signs him is going to get a good one. He does have his brain farts, but he's solid and can eat minutes.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
CdH isn't some stone handed d-man, he's pretty skilled. He was an offensive PMD coming up, Capuano did a masterful job with his development over the years. That dumbass turned a promising offensive d-man into a shut down defender with how he was deployed. Never got a chance on the PP, never understood that. Don't miss Flintstone, but Weight is more of the same. Sigh.

Anyway, I think de Haan is like Hamhuis when he was a UFA. Whoever signs him is going to get a good one. He does have his brain farts, but he's solid and can eat minutes.

Unfortunately for Toronto he's a LHD, he's exactly what the Dr ordered. Just a modern shutdown D, mobile, smart, and steady.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Agreed. As long as he is healthy he's a good 2nd pairing defenseman. The Isles season really unraveled when Dehaan went down. He isn't going to wow anyone, but he is very steady.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Here's a list of things that can be done to fill that void before trading assets for Nelson, Call up Aaltonen, Resign Bozak, Resign Plekanec, move Marleau to centre, move Nylander to centre, sign Joe Thornton for a year. Most of these are iffy options but atleast 1 of them is better than trading assets for a winger who plays centre on TV.

I am very in favour in bolstering this team for another cup run, but if you're going to do it then sign Joe Thornton for 1yr/7mil instead of overpaying for Nelson. I'm also willing to bet that one of Borgman, Holl, Carrick, Rosen, or Liljegren can take an RD spot next year and it seems unnecessary to throw a draft pick at CDH.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Here's a list of things that can be done to fill that void before trading assets for Nelson, Call up Aaltonen, Resign Bozak, Resign Plekanec, move Marleau to centre, move Nylander to centre, sign Joe Thornton for a year. Most of these are iffy options but atleast 1 of them is better than trading assets for a winger who plays centre on TV.

I am very in favour in bolstering this team for another cup run, but if you're going to do it then sign Joe Thornton for 1yr/7mil instead of overpaying for Nelson. I'm also willing to bet that one of Borgman, Holl, Carrick, Rosen, or Liljegren can take an RD spot next year and it seems unnecessary to throw a draft pick at CDH.

See now it's odd to me that you don't want Nelson because that is a LW playing Center on TV, that is odd because you then bring up moving Marleau to center which would be a LW playing center on TV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->