Value of: Brock Nelson and the rights to CDH to the Leafs

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Isles will not be trading a 20 goal scorer for a pick/prospect.
I wouldn't rule it out though. Depends what is out there and what other moves are going to be made. Suppose Isles trade other assets for a dman, and plan on signing Riley Nash for example to run their third line, you can trade Nelson for assets to recoup what you've lost.

Snow has options. I definitely think we've seen the last of Nelson as an Islander.
Probably a second-round pick.
Shaw and Eller got more than a second, so should Nelson.

Reactions: IODCPiper

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wouldn't rule it out though. Depends what is out there and what other moves are going to be made. Suppose Isles trade other assets for a dman, and plan on signing Riley Nash for example to run their third line, you can trade Nelson for assets to recoup what you've lost.

Snow has options. I definitely think we've seen the last of Nelson as an Islander.

Shaw and Eller got more than a second, so should Nelson.

I agree Nelson should get more, I don't know if Shaw is best example to support my argument that was a massive MASSIVE overpayment

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I agree Nelson should get more, I don't know if Shaw is best example to support my argument that was a massive MASSIVE overpayment
It was, he has an appeal to him though I suppose. Like I like Shaw but not at that price to acquire nor the contract. He can play on my team. Same with Nelson, I love his production but he needs to be on the wing I believe. Maybe if he had defensive wingers... I'm not sure. It's so weird because when he was younger he was better defensively. There's a video out there of Jack Capuano teaching for a USA hockey program and he used Islander videos (naturally) to explain his points and the system he used and Nelson was the most used example for positioning (Over Nielsen believe it or not!) but he really has gotten worse. I think a move would be best for him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Probably a second-round pick.
This season the isles shopped Nelson when they needed a top 4 replacement for the injured CDH.
Friedman says some team pushed hard for Nelson ,but the nyi passed .
Isles are not in caphell. They have two 1st + two 2nds. If a 2nd is the biggest offer for Nelson's 20 goals a season, I am fairly sure the isles again say no thanks.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
See now it's odd to me that you don't want Nelson because that is a LW playing Center on TV, that is odd because you then bring up moving Marleau to center which would be a LW playing center on TV.
Marleau is better at centre and he doesnt cost us assets.

not a terribly hard concept.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Maybe, but I would expect Nelson to be part of a package that addresses an immediate nyi need , not a futures deal

Seems like most teams that are selling a prized asset are looking for futures in return. The salary cap is squeezing out the middle class, everyone is looking for cheap options to balance out the high priced stars. Looming expansion draft is another wrinkle to keep in mind.

Selling off Nelson for futures gives you more flexibility, opens up the field of teams to deal with. The problem with Snow is that he doesn't take the 2nd step and deal the futures for the needed upgrade.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Jan 21, 2018
If the isles are not meeting CDH's extension demands,I would guess they accept a 3td or 4th rounder.

Nelson is more effective on the wing then at center.

If the isles are not meeting CDH's extension demans, the leafs should stay the hell away from that type of overpaid contract.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Nelsons a better fit for a team like the Leafs who can shelter him but he shouldn't play Center.
CDH on the other hand is a more valuable player. His main issue is staying healthy.
I would take two second rd pick s or a second and prospect.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If the isles are not meeting CDH's extension demans, the leafs should stay the hell away from that type of overpaid contract.
Seeing some of the numbers thrown around, there is probably a more intelligent move. They'd both be good fits. CDH depending on contract and Nelson depending on price to acquire. I think they'd both be too rich for my blood. The Leafs system is pretty stocked and older free agents don't mind coming to playoff team for a chance at a cup.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto's 1st for Nelson, CDH's rights, and a 3rd

If you took out the 3rd, turned the 1st into a 2nd and a prospect I'd probably do it, I'm not against moving our 1st, but I am not sure Brock Nelson is the guy you do it for

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Isn't CDH having his like 3rd major shoulder surgery or something like that? I would be very worried about that.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
When Brock Nelson has been used as a top six forward he has produced offensively. In 32 WC games he has 16g and 12a (28 points in 32 games). He just doesn't have a spot here.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles have a glut of young,cheap blueline kids which is why they think they can let CDH and his $5m per demand walk.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'm fully on board with trading a 4th or 5th for CDH rights...or just signing him on July 1.

Sounds like just someone Toronto needs

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I don’t see CDH getting a long term contract from anyone as any length longer then a year is uninsurable per Staple.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'm fully on board with trading a 4th or 5th for CDH rights...or just signing him on July 1.

Sounds like just someone Toronto needs
Depends on term. With his injury issues and being more of a second pairing guy, I don't want to get stuck with a bad contract. They have to be careful now that Zaitsev has taken a turn for the worse.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Depends on term. With his injury issues and being more of a second pairing guy, I don't want to get stuck with a bad contract. They have to be careful now that Zaitsev has taken a turn for the worse.
Obviously don't want too overpay, which would be the point of trading a low pick for him so we don't get into a bidding war.

I also think Zaitzev will rebound next year which eases some of my concern.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Obviously don't want too overpay, which would be the point of trading a low pick for him so we don't get into a bidding war.
CDH is aware this is a weak ufa market and he does not sound like he is signing anywhere on the cheap

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
CDH is aware this is a weak ufa market and he does not sound like he is signing anywhere on the cheap
Probably true. Although that makes me wonder if he'd take a "local discount" seeing as he grew up not too far from Toronto.
Although at the same time I should probably assume he was a sens fan growing up

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Probably true. Although that makes me wonder if he'd take a "local discount" seeing as he grew up not too far from Toronto.
Although at the same time I should probably assume he was a sens fan growing up

On a weak ufa market, with the salary cap rising, WHY would CDH leave $ on the table?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->