Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part IV - Rookie of the Month November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
We don't know that there may have been something going on behind the scenes that contributed. It doesn't matter; he is playing now. He played last night, and was deployed reasonably.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Yeah, when Willie put Horvat on the 4th line last year, maybe it was good coaching cos who knows who his season would have gone otherwise!

It's just such a ridiculous argument. You can handle a player terribly but the player may still be good enough to succeed in spite of it.

Boeser's not to be a worse player in 2020 because he sat out the first two regular season games of 2017-18. He may even be a better player for the experience of not having it handed it to him after he was slowing down at the end of preseason. Then again, it may make no diffeence at all.

Similarly, Horvat is not a worse player now because WD wanted him to concentrate on defensive play at the beginning of 2016-17.

People are excited to see the youth movement, but working the kids in slowly isn't always a bad thing for their future. It just makes it hard on the fans who want to see the future now. Otoh, now means nothing for this team, other than to the extent it affects the future.

Reactions: Nomobo

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Don't think I've seen a Canuck break a leg since Bryan Allen slashed Zetterberg
the weird thing about that play is that it looked rather harmless. I still don't know how that broke Zetterberg's leg because it was the type of slash you see all the time.

Meanwhile i've seen a ton of players not get suspended for blatant two handed tomahawks that missed. I think there was even one in a recent canuck game this season that went unnoticed but could've done damage had it connected.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Best comparable to Brock Boesser is Charlie Simmer poor skater but elite Shooter

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
First disclaimer, I haven't read every post in this thread.

Second disclaimer, I completely get the concern about "small sample size". I just keep coming back to the fact that in every situation where one might hope for Boeser to deliver, he's delivered. At the tail end of last season he pots 4 goals in 9 games. He killed it in preseason, and now he's producing at a PPG pace in his first full pro season.

He's yet to fail. Small sample size be damned, his performance so far has shifted from us expecting him to prove he can get it done at the NHL level to showing he can't get it done. Subtle but significant difference IMO.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
9 points in 8 games for the kid.

14 points in 17 career NHL games.

What a player.
And it's not coming from goals predominantly.

Kid is genuinely a good creator with good vision and a high IQ.

His shot itself is going to create a **** load of assists in his career just due to the sheer amount of rebounds it's going to create.

Pettersson/Boeser is 2 3rds of a potentially great future 1st line.

Reactions: Knight53

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
And it's not coming from goals predominantly.

Kid is genuinely a good creator with good vision and a high IQ.

His shot itself is going to create a **** load of assists in his career just due to the sheer amount of rebounds it's going to create.

Pettersson/Boeser is 2 3rds of a potentially great future 1st line.

While Baertschi and Horvat are 2 3rd of an already great present second line.

The future of our offense would pretty solid as long as Peterson pans out.

We need Dahlin though.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Boeser has the shot and the iq.

However, i still feel that his skating is holding him back. His first 3 strides and steps are below average. He is decent once he gets to full stride. His edge work is also really good.

I feel that he will be a 55-70point player in this league on a yearly basis.

In basketball term tho, he is a half court player . Will get lots of his points on the PP or when his line has possesion and cycling on half ice .. if he ever fixes his acceleration and skating then he can add transition points into his repetoir.

Transition hockey imo is what makes players elite.. 3 on 2s 2on 1s etc. Think Crosby Kane Malkin Mcdavid Stamkos . Alot of their points come from.transition plays and not just half court set ups. This is the new nhl.

Im pulling for brock and i hope he can make those adjustments. To me he is too upright with his stride. Get him to Horvats skating instructor and revamp that stride.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
that game against Buffalo, should have have had at least 3 points in that one too. Kid's a beaut and doing far beyond my expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad