Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Part IV - Rookie of the Month November

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Brock's IQ gets underrated due to him being more of a goal scorer than playmaker. He's actually quite effective at reading plays to get in the right areas. He's like the evolved form what Gaunce says he plays like -- doesn't waste a lot of energy skating around to look busy but focuses on being in the right place at the right time.

Reminds me a lot of prime Burrows with the twins. Just had a knack of knowing where to be when he needed to be there.
Mike Johnson on TSN 1040 wondering about Boeser's conditioning......saying the Canucks were alarmed at how he hit the wall in the last two exhibition games......sometimes a big adjustment for college players who play only on weekends and in less than half as many games, without all the travel.....might be the case that like Hutton and Virtanen before him, Boeser is still a work in progress in terms of stamina, strength and conditioning.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Mike Johnson on TSN 1040 wondering about Boeser's conditioning......saying the Canucks were alarmed at how he hit the wall in the last two exhibition games......sometimes a big adjustment for college players who play only on weekends and in less than half as many games, without all the travel.....might be the case that like Hutton and Virtanen before him, Boeser is still a work in progress in terms of stamina, strength and conditioning.
Agreed...Boeser has an elite shot,great vision for passing and stick handling....The only weakness I saw,was his ability to 'get there' quick enough..His first few strides needs improvement,but this can be rectified...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think Brock's IQ gets underrated due to him being more of a goal scorer than playmaker. He's actually quite effective at reading plays to get in the right areas. He's like the evolved form what Gaunce says he plays like -- doesn't waste a lot of energy skating around to look busy but focuses on being in the right place at the right time.

Reminds me a lot of prime Burrows with the twins. Just had a knack of knowing where to be when he needed to be there.
I don't think so-- His reputation has always been as a really high IQ shooter, above all else (like Brett Hull). In fact, I think his IQ has been advertised more than his shot-- I was actually surprised that the shot was as good as it is.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I don't think so-- His reputation has always been as a really high IQ shooter, above all else (like Brett Hull). In fact, I think his IQ has been advertised more than his shot-- I was actually surprised that the shot was as good as it is.

It's not only his wrister that's good either, he's got a mad clapper.

Boeser's also a lot more skilled then people realize

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. I would definitely say that the bigger misconception about Boeser isn't that he has low hockey IQ, but instead that he relies ENTIRELY on his shot and high-IQ ability to get open and otherwise doesn't have many strengths (kind of like late-career Hull). It's easy to forget that he's also strong at playmaking, board-play, and stickhandling.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Yeah. I would definitely say that the bigger misconception about Boeser isn't that he has low hockey IQ, but instead that he relies ENTIRELY on his shot and high-IQ ability to get open and otherwise doesn't have many strengths (kind of like late-career Hull). It's easy to forget that he's also strong at playmaking, board-play, and stickhandling.

You are like the king of rectifying misconceptions!

I personally think he needs to improve his board play and speed up his decision making with the puck. High IQ guys are supposed to be quick instinctive decision makers. His IQ rep suggests it will be a matter of WHEN he'll adjust to NHL caliber speed... not if.
He'll buy his skating development some time if he can sharpen his decision making quickly.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Playing tonight :yo:

Love Boeser cant wait to see tonights game :)

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
G06OLZK.gif

Boeser is thinking the game on a whole other level :laugh:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005

Travis Green should feel like a moron

I knew I would find something like this.

But what if part of why he played decently was BECAUSE of the extra days of practice. BECAUSE of the way that Green made him earn it?

We can't know for sure. But I get so tired of this arm-chair post-hoc analysis that suggests that however things end up is how they would have gone regardless.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

But what if part of why he played decently was BECAUSE of the extra days of practice. BECAUSE of the way that Green made him earn it?

We can't know for sure. But I get so tired of this arm-chair post-hoc analysis that suggests that however things end up is how they would have gone regardless.

We will never know... :/

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He needs to get the one timers off on the PP - that's why he got pulled off the top unit last night.

Always had horrible linemates passing him crappy passes. There is that

I just dont see why they cant keep the 5-5 lines on the pp

1pp
Baertchi Horvat Boeser

2pp
Left Overs

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Oh, come on.

This player lit it up after joining the team last year, lit it up in the preseason, then was benched for 2 games, then resumed playing exactly how he had all along.

The notion that this was good coaching or some sort of turning point is ludicrous.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Oh, come on.

This player lit it up after joining the team last year, lit it up in the preseason, then was benched for 2 games, then resumed playing exactly how he had all along.

The notion that this was good coaching or some sort of turning point is ludicrous.

Yep, it’s no different than trying to argue that McCann is playing well for the Panthers now because of how Vancouver (mis)handled him 2 years ago.

Players can play well after being mishandled, but it doesn’t mean the mishandling is *responsible* for them playing well.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yep, it’s no different than trying to argue that McCann is playing well for the Panthers now because of how Vancouver (mis)handled him 2 years ago.

Players can play well after being mishandled, but it doesn’t mean the mishandling is *responsible* for them playing well.

Yeah, when Willie put Horvat on the 4th line last year, maybe it was good coaching cos who knows who his season would have gone otherwise!

It's just such a ridiculous argument. You can handle a player terribly but the player may still be good enough to succeed in spite of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad