Rumor: Brock Boeser has joined team in MIN; could sign and play today

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
At the risk of being drubbed as a home boy, Boeser's best start in the pros would be in Utica with Demko, Virtanen, Gaunce, Goldobin, Subban, McEneny, etc. Let him play in a very competitive situation with something on the line. A step up from the college ranks and he gets his feet wet with guys he'll play with next season. It's not easing him in. It's bringing him into the pro environment with a playoff berth being chased. If they can capture it, then it's a playoff run and who knows.

Then he comes to camp understanding what is expected of him and ready to compete for a spot on the last rung up.

It just makes more sense to me than exposing him to the current ****storm in the waning days of this NHL season.

I realize his agent will want to burn that year off, but let's see what Jimbo thinks is best and what kind of negotiator he can be. He knows Utica would be the best starting point at this moment.

I don't necessarily disagree. But I actually see a benefit for him spending a few games with the big club to get a taste of what he's reaching for. His hockey development is best served at a level that both challenges him and allows him to succeed in the short term (i.e. the AHL) but it wouldn't hurt to give him a first hand appreciation for the prize.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Burning off a year of his ELC is absolutely idiotic. We've seen what "bridge" contracts go for. If he looks even halfway decent we're looking at $3-4M in two years basically.

Par for the course for these morons though, who probably think they can slide his contract.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't necessarily disagree. But I actually see a benefit for him spending a few games with the big club to get a taste of what he's reaching for. His hockey development is best served at a level that both challenges him and allows him to succeed in the short term (i.e. the AHL) but it wouldn't hurt to give him a first hand appreciation for the prize.

I'm with BG. Best thing for the kids is Utica makes the playoffs, Utica goes on a long playoff run. Good training under Green and good bonding time. If he needs more rest after UND's session he can get without everyone complaining Willie won't pay him.

As Y2K said, no need to burn a year off his ELC, he doesn't have any leverage as a 2nd year college player.

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Burning off a year of his ELC is absolutely idiotic. We've seen what "bridge" contracts go for. If he looks even halfway decent we're looking at $3-4M in two years basically.

Par for the course for these morons though, who probably think they can slide his contract.

As opposed to 5 mill+ after he's had a huge 3rd season?

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
Isn't it pretty much standard to sign players to ATO's, have them play it out in the AHL without burning a year of ELC?

That's what we did with Hutton, so its pretty safe to assume that is what will happen.

Its not complicated.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Isn't it pretty much standard to sign players to ATO's, have them play it out in the AHL without burning a year of ELC?

That's what we did with Hutton, so its pretty safe to assume that is what will happen.

Its not complicated.

Zach Werenski did this too.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Goes both ways, a so-so 1st year, then a great 2nd year then a weak 3rd year.

While burning a year isn't normally going to kill you, not burning it is preferable if you can manage it.
I think it is more likely that he has a big 3rd year than a big 2nd year.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Its not complicated.

Hutton isn't as big of a prospect as Boeser.

Gaudreau signed a NHL contract and played a NHL game.

This is a big of a none issue as the first 9 game freakout. Again, it's the RFA years that count.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Hutton isn't as big of a prospect as Boeser.

Gaudreau signed a NHL contract and played a NHL game.

This is a big of a none issue as the first 9 game freakout. Again, it's the RFA years that count.

Sign the kid give him a taste who cares about burning a year we know some do but they think they should be gm of everything in Vancouver lol.
Let the kid play and learn . .

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
We need to keep him as far away from Willie as possible. Going to Utica and joining them for a (hopefully) playoff run versus getting 5-7 "teaching" minutes a night playing with Skille, Megna, or whichever defenseman is playing out of position tonight.

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006
We need to keep him as far away from Willie as possible. Going to Utica and joining them for a (hopefully) playoff run versus getting 5-7 "teaching" minutes a night playing with Skille, Megna, or whichever defenseman is playing out of position tonight.

Agreed. Having his first taste of NHL in such a ********* of a season would not only hurt his development but possibly his perception of the Canucks organization.

I could see Willie playing him 4 mins a game with Cramarossa and Chaput while the team gets shelled and the kid thinking "F*** this!".

Furthermore, joining Utica for meaningful, competitive hockey and not skipping a stage should only benefit his game. The kicker being not burning a year of his ELC.

Please do the right thing and get this kid to Utica! (Not confident)

Last edited:

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Boeser dosent want to sign with Utica, and he has full control of this process. Ottawa is having the same issue with Colin White. Ott wants him to sign with the AHL team, but White doesn't want this, and may well go back to school.

Unfortunately, or not based on your views of this situation, College hockey players have much more power/control over their contrcts them GMs due to the free agent loophole. Players can simlle go back to school, and essentially out wait teams, and get the outcome they desire. So if Brock wants to sign with us...thats what Benning will do, as too not damage the teams relations with Boeser.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I'd like to see him play a few games for the Canucks this season as the season is about to end. For a guy whose biggest question mark is his skating, I think it would benefit him a lot. He would get to experience the speed of the game in the NHL so he would know exactly what to work on in the off season. Also, playing while the team is already eliminated is a lot pressure.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

flawless summarization

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Boeser dosent want to sign with Utica, and he has full control of this process. Ottawa is having the same issue with Colin White. Ott wants him to sign with the AHL team, but White doesn't want this, and may well go back to school.

Unfortunately, or not based on your views of this situation, College hockey players have much more power/control over their contrcts them GMs due to the free agent loophole. Players can simlle go back to school, and essentially out wait teams, and get the outcome they desire. So if Brock wants to sign with us...thats what Benning will do, as too not damage the teams relations with Boeser.

Yup ideally an ATO would be perfect, but yeah you can't mess around too much with College players *thats what she said* due to the loophole, so IF Boeser wants to sign with us NOW, then you just bite the bullet and sign him.

Then you hope Utica makes the playoffs & can at least reach the 2nd round, then Boeser can join them and get more pro games in after the Canucks are done April 9th.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
At the risk of being drubbed as a home boy, Boeser's best start in the pros would be in Utica with Demko, Virtanen, Gaunce, Goldobin, Subban, McEneny, etc. Let him play in a very competitive situation with something on the line. A step up from the college ranks and he gets his feet wet with guys he'll play with next season. It's not easing him in. It's bringing him into the pro environment with a playoff berth being chased. If they can capture it, then it's a playoff run and who knows.

I think either way is fine and Boeser can play a game or two with the Canucks and then join the Comets. There's benefit to getting in some NHL practice and even a game or two before joining the Comets for hopefully some regular season games before the playoffs.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
Canucks aren't going to become a contender within the next 3 seasons, so whether Brock's ELC cap hit runs out 2 or 3 seasons after next is not that significant IMO. We still need to draft and develop a 1C and a 1D, and those don't grow on trees. Just think about it - does it matter to Arizona whether Max Domi makes 1M or 3M this season? Not really. I guess it takes up some cap you could othewise use to eat deadweight contracts for profit, but that's really it.

The consideration for not playing him in the NHL this season should solely be what's best for his development as that's the thing that really matters - we want Brock to become the best asset possible for the team in the future.

Last edited:

Rosko Thorn

Jul 4, 2009
Sudbury, ON
I thought you needed more than 9 games to burn a year? That's why junior players sometimes get the first 9 games of the season before being sent back. Doesn't that mean it's impossible to burn off a year because we only have 9 games left?

Am I wrong?

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

What if he breaks out in year three? Which happens often. He'd already be in his bridge deal giving significant value. If that happens at the end of his ELC than the Canucks would have to give him a much bigger salary. Whatever is best for his development. If he can get a taste and see what he needs to work on in the offseason and coming into training camp confident than so be it.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

Its not complicated.

For sure.

John Hayden is the only college signing to burn a year so far this season. The other 14 college signings have their NHL contracts starting next season. That includes first round picks Tage Thompson and Luke Kunin plus top college free agents like Aston-Reese, Bayreuther, Hults, and Nell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad