GDT: Broadway vs Raleighwood, game 3 7pm, TNT

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Side note, I think it can’t be over stated that we miss Pesce. He’s very good at breaking up plays down low, especially on the pk. They’d still score some but I’d bet he’d be in passing lanes and forcing them to work harder. I don’t know if Tro’s game winner the other night happens with Pesce. He’s going to be missed, and we’re missing him right now.
Agreed

At the same time the reason we are hurting so much with Pesce being out is that the front office failed to have us in a situation where we could absorb an injury to a defensive player and be able to put in someone who could at least be serviceable in the defensive zone. Going from Pesce to TDA has f***ed Skjei's ability to be a difference maker this playoff run and has completely taken one of our better defensive players out of playing meaningful minutes because we just can't trust TDA in the defensive zone. As good as our defense is and what it's supposed to mean to our chances, it's major f***up by Waddell that our only serviceable defensive depth going into the playoffs was statistically the worst defensive defenseman in the league by a pretty significant margin.

St Louis, 2019 Vegas, 2020 Dallas, 2010 Philly
2010 Philly has Pronger playing like 40 mins a night during that run

Reactions: cptjeff

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Hate to say it but this team is just too f***ing nice, there's nobody that's going out there to lay a physical toll on anyone as the series wears on.

You look at all the teams we've lost to, every one of them had that guy. Boston was full of them, Tampa had Maroon and the majority of their defense, New York has that pofs Trouba, Florida had Tkachuk and basically their entire blue line. What guy over the last 6 years has been that guy for us?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Hate to say it but this team is just too f***ing nice, there's nobody that's going out there to lay a physical toll on anyone as the series wears on.

You look at all the teams we've lost to, every one of them had that guy. Boston was full of them, Tampa had Maroon and the majority of their defense, New York has that pofs Trouba, Florida had Tkachuk and basically their entire blue line. What guy over the last 6 years has been that guy for us?

Ferland, but his career was on the decline and he wasn't a "star" in the sense that say, Tkachuk is.

I guess Edmondson too but he was always going to be a stopgap

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ferland, but his career was on the decline and he wasn't a "star" in the sense that say, Tkachuk is.

I guess Edmondson too but he was always going to be a stopgap
Ferland yes, when he wasn't broken

Eddy didn't play like that for us, don't know if that was coaching or what but he did not have the edge he had with the Blues or Montreal

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Ferland yes, when he wasn't broken

Eddy didn't play like that for us, don't know if that was coaching or what but he did not have the edge he had with the Blues or Montreal

I thought of Eddy because of his visor bump to Lindholm and Lindholm just standing there taking it.

Reactions: DaveG

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Ferland?

I vaguely remember the series with Nashville Martinook laid some series changing licks on the Predators.

Kotkaniemi and Noesen have had a few fights....but it's been a long time for Kotkaniemi.

Have we been coached to turn the other cheek?

I strongly agree. This is war on ice. You don't need to be a huge dbag but you need to make your opponents uncomfortable.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I mean we brought in Bunting and Lemieux to do that, but Bunting was shoved down the lineup when he didn't immediately mesh and was eventually traded and Lemieux, to nobody's surprise, never plays.

But yeah, and the thing is, it's by design. Brindy preaches to the team to stay out of that kind of stuff. I'm fairly certain they coached Svech out of throwing the kind of big hits that ended Lindholms season in 2022. And Burns, after a throwing his weight around in his first few games as a Cane last year just stopped and we've never seen that kind of edge return. It points to something they're being coached not to do.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Also, Freddie will get the start tomorrow, which... Look, I get it he's the guy we tabbed at the start to be the guy, but he's looked pretty bad this series, and last night wasn't on Kooch. Not sure I like the message that might be sending to PK, especially after seeing his reaction to the OT goal last night. I do worry we are playing dumb games with his confidence

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

I would say this has been true in the past but that's not the series I'm watching right now. A lot of our team is giving as good as they get, Svech is hitting everything that moves, etc. I'm not seeing a team get physically outmatched or "outmeaned" the way I did the two seasons prior. In fact, that was a huge cause of optimism for me after Games 1 and 2.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Kotkaniemi and Noesen have had a few fights....but it's been a long time for Kotkaniemi.
Didn't Kotkaniemi go just yesterday? That other guy threw gloves and Kotkaniemi answered. Nothing much happened as the refs were immediately on them, but still.

08:35
1st
Penalty
Jesperi Kotkaniemi #82 2 minutes for Unsportsmanlike conduct Jimmy Vesey #26

Last edited:
Reactions: LakeLivin

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

That's the look of a guy who has a lot of things to say, and not all of it kind. That little glance up at Slavin right before storming off.... Phew

Reactions: DaveG

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

That's the look of a guy who has a lot of things to say, and not all of it kind. That little glance up at Slavin right before storming off.... Phew

Well, maybe he should take over a game like Svech did last night. In all seriousness, there's any number of things he's thinking. He and a few others have carried the team at even strength for the majority of the post season. Maybe it's a look of this ain't over yet. You never know.

Last edited:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Didn't Kotkaniemi go just yesterday? That other guy threw gloves and Kotkaniemi answered. Nothing much happened as the refs were immediately on them, but still.

1st
Penalty

Kind of? And that's good. But it's been what? 1.5 seasons since he threw down?

He had that huge hit vs the Isles. Why hasn't he done that in this Series? Image him catching Zibenijad, Panarin, or Fox?

I'm not saying we need a Scott Steven's on Kariya hit, but some more toughness could swing a series.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Also, Freddie will get the start tomorrow, which... Look, I get it he's the guy we tabbed at the start to be the guy, but he's looked pretty bad this series, and last night wasn't on Kooch. Not sure I like the message that might be sending to PK, especially after seeing his reaction to the OT goal last night. I do worry we are playing dumb games with his confidence
This can't be true? Without Kooch we end up with 3-4 SHG against in the 2nd period, that game would have been a blowout, Kooch is the only reason we were still in it really. We give Kooch one loss and jump back to Freddie, who lost 2 in a row?

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Is Andersen getting the start tomorrow confirmed?

Reactions: cptjeff

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia

He had that huge hit vs the Isles. Why hasn't he done that in this Series? Image him catching Zibenijad, Panarin, or Fox?

I'm not saying we need a Scott Steven's on Kariya hit, but some more toughness could swing a series.
Those three are also much better skaters and far more aware of the ice than Cazikas(sp?). Plus KK needs to actually be on the ice against them to hit them which hasn't been the case.

1st
Penalty

While it wouldn't have made a difference given the PP the fact that Vesey didn't get a penalty for popping Necas in the face when Orlov got one in that same sequence and Guentzel the other night just really pissed me off.

I know to expect inconstancy from the officials from game to game (different refs) and even period to period but second to second???

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Is Andersen getting the start tomorrow confirmed?

If it's true then Rod is starting to piss me off. Guy didn't learn anything from not rolling with McBackup in 2019.

He wants to Freddie to "fight through his adversity" probably. Problem is, the season is on the f***ing line. You go with the guy that gives you the best chance to win. To me that's Kooch.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Please make one with Shitsterkin that says "I'm better than Patrick Roy + Marty Brodeur"
Gif version:

gnyEBbe.gif

Just slide version:

igor quote slide.jpeg

Godspeed, @Stickpucker:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I read the running man as a kid, and always assumed that’s where they got the Hunger Games from! :laugh:

Or was it the Long Walk? I can’t remember the names of all the short stories anymore. All the Stephen King (and Bachman) short story books were my favorites when I was in middle school to high school.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

He hasn't done it this series because he's not been on the ice long enough to do it. Also, wasn't Svech's physicality a big reason why we scored the first goal?

I feel like a lot of these complaints are just throwing complaints at the wall and seeing what sticks, even if they don't make sense.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
He hasn't done it this series because he's not been on the ice long enough to do it. Also, wasn't Svech's physicality a big reason why we scored the first goal?

I feel like a lot of these complaints are just throwing complaints at the wall and seeing what sticks, even if they don't make sense.
Wouldn't it follow if Svechs physicality led to the goal we'd like to see more from the rest of the team?

Reactions: chaz4hockey

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I’m definitely not ready to run the front office and Rod out of town quite yet, but I think we need to hear an admission of fault in regards to the very clear missteps from a coaching and roster building standpoint.

I don’t want to hear about how it’s a completely different series if a couple bounces go out way instead of theirs. 0-7 against FLA last year and now NYR speaks to systemic inadequacies and not just a series of unfortunate events.

Maybe it’s time to to give Aho the C for a bit of a culture shake up in the locker room? Nothing personal against Staal but it might get the message across that peacefully surrendering to the slaughter two years in a row in unacceptable and perhaps Aho taking over could mark the transition to a more cutthroat environment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad