Rumor: Briere to become a top UFA after Flyers definite buyout. Bryz Still 50/50.

Lindy Puff

Feb 15, 2013
Think Edmonton Trades 7th Overall for a package like miller Sekera Macnabb 2nd rounder (52 overall)?
Then trade Leino to NYI for Depietro and 15th overall
Then buy out dipietro

Then we have 7, 8, 15, 16, 38 overall and still have vanek

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
The Flyers announced that they will used a compliance buyout on Daniel Briere. Regier was asked if he’d want to bring him back. He said, “Let me think on that.â€

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-Regier-says-trading-up-seems-unlikely/16640144

Dreger also reported today on NHL Live that Briere is likely only going to ask for a short-term contract (1-2 years), which may lead to up to 15-20 teams being interested in adding Briere.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Dreger also reported today on NHL Live that Briere is likely only going to ask for a short-term contract (1-2 years), which may lead to up to 15-20 teams being interested in adding Briere.

I found that interesting that Briere would only want a 1-2 year deal. Most players in at his age would want longer term for security. So my two thought/questions are:

1. Is he broken enough where he wants to try to win the cup for another year or two and then retire?

2. Does he want to re-sign with the Flyers at a lower cap hit in a year?

If this were the case it seems that Pegula bucks could lure him here for a year. High signing bonus with salary (we have the cap space)- trade him at the deadline to a contender for a 1st round draft pick.

I know I'm on this topic ("buying" draft picks) too much, but it's just a way to add assets, seeing that we can't trade up to elite picks or suck enough to be there.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
With the CBA, that's the only team that can't sign him.

Yep for one year. Signs with another team this season. Signs with Philly next year?

Further, a Player who has been bought out under
the Compliance Buy-Out provision of this Agreement shall be prohibited
from rejoining the Club that bought him out (via re-signing, Assignment
or otherwise) for the 2013-14 League Year (if that Player was bought out
in 2013)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Can't imagine he'll go anywhere outside of the NY/NJ/PA area with his family situation though. I hope Regier offers him something. I know his on-ice impact would be limited, considering he'd be another one-way offensive forward, but he definitely brings some leadership and would be a quality mentor to the younger guys. And I imagine most of the fanbase would welcome back an old favorite. If we could nab him and Gordon in free agency this year, I'd be very happy with that haul.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Briere is hitting the end of his career. He's going to want to go to

A) A team in contention
B) A team physical enough to protect him.

We are neither of those.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Briere is hitting the end of his career. He's going to want to go to

A) A team in contention
B) A team physical enough to protect him.

We are neither of those.

A. Trade him to a contender at the deadline
B. John Scott ha ha

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Who knows what Briere wants? Until we hear it right from the source for all we know his agent is talking to Regier right now trying to come back. Why wouldn't he want to come back, he owes everything to the Sabres organization. If it wasnt for Buffalo he never would have gotten 52 million dollar contract and would probably be languishing in Phoenix still. The Buffalo Sabres made Daniel Briere. Pegula loves his old time Sabres, you don't think he doesn't love Briere? I could actually see Pegula instructing Darcy to go after him. Didn't his daughter tell them to go after Ehrhoff after watching the playoffs?

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
Who knows what Briere wants? Until we hear it right from the source for all we know his agent is talking to Regier right now trying to come back. Why wouldn't he want to come back, he owes everything to the Sabres organization. If it wasnt for Buffalo he never would have gotten 52 million dollar contract and would probably be languishing in Phoenix still. The Buffalo Sabres made Daniel Briere. Pegula loves his old time Sabres, you don't think he doesn't love Briere? I could actually see Pegula instructing Darcy to go after him. Didn't his daughter tell them to go after Ehrhoff after watching the playoffs?

Overstated a bit. He was given an opportunity and he took it and made the most of it. That said, you are right that no one knows what he wants, except Danny and maybe his agent.

Jamie Walker

May 2, 2004
Hamilton, Ont.
Grigorenko can't play in Rochester next season. It's NHL or Juniors. McCabe also said he's returning to college next season and I believe he stated he wants to play all 4 years, though players often change their mind after their junior season. I'm certain at least one of Pysyk, McNabb, and Ruhwedel will be up in Buffalo at any given time. Lindholm would more likely either play in the NHL or Elitserien. I doubt Foligno ever goes back to Rochester.

No AHL team has that many prospects on it.

unless Quebec releases him?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Overstated a bit. He was given an opportunity and he took it and made the most of it. That said, you are right that no one knows what he wants, except Danny and maybe his agent.

It may have been a slight hyperbole but if Briere was on any other team you think he's getting 50+ million? He got that because he was put on a team loaded with top offensive talent that allowed him to reach his full potential. Is it any surprise that Briere has never come close to being as good as he was in 05-06 and 06-07? Without those 2 seasons he doesn't get 6.5 a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad