Rumor: Briere to become a top UFA after Flyers definite buyout. Bryz Still 50/50.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think any return to Buffalo by Briere presupposes a reunion with Leino with the hope that it sparks both players. At this stage in his career, I'd prefer Briere on a wing. If this organization would ever get a clue re: player usage, a Leino-Hodgson-Briere line getting soft offensive minutes would likely produce.

You need a Hartnell replacement (Ott) on that line, not Hodgson.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Matthew Coller‏@MatthewWGR13m
Has anyone in Buffalo ever pointed out that Briere and Drury fell short of producing up to their contracts?

What do you think?

I think he was injured too often to earn all of the $52M. But I think he earne a sizable chunk of it when he scored 30 points in 23 playoff games.

Last edited:

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
At best, get a top-six forward, veteran leader for the younger players, a guy that could have his game sparked by coming back to Buffalo, and maybe even get a guy like Leino finally going.

At worst, he becomes a cap burden for a few years because he's either ineffective or injuries completely derailed the end of his career.

It makes sense that he would want to play near Philly for his family or go to a contender, but if he wanted to come back to Buffalo at a reasonable cost I'd be all for it. Just feel like there's a lot to gain and not much to lose by bringing him back.

Jacob582 said:
Matthew Coller‏@MatthewWGR13m
Has anyone in Buffalo ever pointed out that Briere and Drury fell short of producing up to their contracts?

What do you think?

I think he was injured too often to earn all of the $52M. But I think he earne a sizable chunk of it when he scored 30 points in 23 playoff games.

He was always awesome for them in the playoffs, 72 points in 68 GP as a Flyer for Briere. I guess "living up to your contract" by definition would be playing at a high level through the whole thing, but he was good for most of it.

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Earlier on in Briere's career he produced in the regular season too, he just had injury problems to accompany it which you can't really blame someone for getting a bad rash of injuries. It wasn't until recently that he just stopped producing altogether, at least in the regular season. As others have said though, you could make the argument that Briere earned his contract just with his playoff performances alone.

The thing about Briere is that he's an extremely one-dimensional player. He is or was good for scoring goals. That's about it. He's a horrible defensive player, he's small, he's not good at face-offs (at least relatively speaking to players his age), and he's not even that good at the shootout or that speedy. He just has a nose for the net, he's not slow, and he has a decent shot. Hell, he's even liable to take bad crosschecking penalties relatively frequently.

Coming from a Flyers fan, I wouldn't suggest any team signing him. If he were still capable of being a high-end secondary scorer at the very least then I'd suggest signing him on the cheap, but like I said he's so one-dimensional that even if he were back in prime form he shouldn't be earning what he is now. The reality though is that he's getting old for a hockey player and he's lost his scoring touch, at least recently, and if he doesn't have a scoring touch he doesn't really have any strong points. There's really no reason to have him on your team as a player if he isn't a good scorer anymore and, as is, I don't think anybody can know for sure if he still has it in him.

Just my two cents.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Someone will pay him more than we should

At this point, I hope someone else does. Bringing in transition offense-only vets long, long in the tooth seems like a much lower priority than getting some quality shutdown players, some more useful size up front, or some speed. The only point at which it pushes nearly even would be if they send Vanek and Stafford both packing with no NHL-ready top 6 wingers returning. Then maybe a two year deal may be in order, but the wheels have fallen off for Briere this season. I suspect a team that thinks they can shelter him for much of the season signs him for what they hope he might do again come the first round of next year's playoffs. The Sens and Habs seem like good fits for that since they could put him in more of mid-line role. Similarly, the Isles too if they can get him on a cheaper contract would likely replace Boyes and maybe give them the hope of some playoff scoring.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Do you guys expect Leino to be bought out? (We has most effective with Briere at center and Hartnell at right wing).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Do you guys expect Leino to be bought out? (We has most effective with Briere at center and Hartnell at right wing).

No. At least not this summer. He'll get another year to get healthy and show what he can do. If we're seriously looking at shipping out Vanek after Pominville, we need someone to play wing. Otherwise, we'd be stuck throwing our prospects out there with no veterans ahead of them on the depth chart to shelter them and praying it doesn't wreck their development.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
I know he might not have much more offensive upside anymore, but I'm all for bringing Briere back. If he's on a relatively cheap contract (which I know will be tough given his probably propensity for wanting to stay in the Atlantic area) I can't see where it's a terrible negative to a team that has so little in the way of veteran leadership.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't see the benefit in having another small and poor defensive C. It would otherwise be a nice little story line if he signed for a cheap two years, but Buffalo needs to be bigger and tougher, especially down the middle.

Lindy Puff

Feb 15, 2013
I don't see the benefit in having another small and poor defensive C. It would otherwise be a nice little story line if he signed for a cheap two years, but Buffalo needs to be bigger and tougher, especially down the middle.

1 Sign Danny Briere and Dustin Penner

2 Sabres should trade miller and vanek for futures for the rebuild

3 Trade up into the top 5

4 This looks like a decent team that will get us a top 10 pick next year but not corrupt all the young players i believe a team like this would help Hodgson Grigorenko Foligno Girgensons continue development

Leino- Hodgson- Briere (Hodgson or Briere would take draws)
Ennis- Grigorenko- Ott (All can take draws)
Foligno- Girgensons- Penner (Girgensons or Foligno can take draws)
Flynn- Porter- Kaleta (Porter)

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Signing a player like Penner is useless - he won't come to Buffalo anyway, he won't try in the regular season, he won't have a chance to try in the playoffs, and he won't make up for still having a small and defensively weak C/RW.

BTW, Girgs shouldn't be on the roster next season.

Lindy Puff

Feb 15, 2013
Signing a player like Penner is useless - he won't come to Buffalo anyway, he won't try in the regular season, he won't have a chance to try in the playoffs, and he won't make up for still having a small and defensively weak C/RW.

BTW, Girgs shouldn't be on the roster next season.

Agreed i had an X there but decided to go with girgesons could fill the hole other ways.

I personally think we should put all the 2 way players in rochester so the kids can win in rochester and have 1 year contracts stafford and leino play for the sabres next year to go full tank.

Our rochester lineup could look like this

foligno- grigorenko- armia
larson- girgensons- Tropp
x- Lindholm- sundher
X- Schaller- x

Pysyk- Mcnabb
Ruhwedel- Gauthier-Leduc
McCabe- Zadorov/ Pulock

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Agreed i had an X there but decided to go with girgesons could fill the hole other ways.

I personally think we should put all the 2 way players in rochester so the kids can win in rochester and have 1 year contracts stafford and leino play for the sabres next year to go full tank.

Our rochester lineup could look like this

foligno- grigorenko- armia
larson- girgensons- Tropp
x- Lindholm- sundher
X- Schaller- x

Pysyk- Mcnabb
Ruhwedel- Gauthier-Leduc
McCabe- Zadorov/ Pulock

Grigorenko can't play in Rochester next season. It's NHL or Juniors. McCabe also said he's returning to college next season and I believe he stated he wants to play all 4 years, though players often change their mind after their junior season. I'm certain at least one of Pysyk, McNabb, and Ruhwedel will be up in Buffalo at any given time. Lindholm would more likely either play in the NHL or Elitserien. I doubt Foligno ever goes back to Rochester.

No AHL team has that many prospects on it.

Lindy Puff

Feb 15, 2013
Grigorenko can't play in Rochester next season. It's NHL or Juniors. McCabe also said he's returning to college next season and I believe he stated he wants to play all 4 years, though players often change their mind after their junior season. I'm certain at least one of Pysyk, McNabb, and Ruhwedel will be up in Buffalo at any given time. Lindholm would more likely either play in the NHL or Elitserien. I doubt Foligno ever goes back to Rochester.

I didn't no this that was my main reason in putting all the players down there so grigo could win as a number 1 center with players in our system. Thanks for the info!

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Lol...full tank for sure but that won't happen. I don't even care what the roster looks like next season. I care what this draft will be able to add to the start of 2014, and have something like...

Vanek-Hodgson-Armia
Leino-Grigorenko-Ott
Ennis-Larsson-Flynn
Foligno-Girgensons-Kaleta/Tropp
Horvat/Lazar

Ehrhoff-Myers
Sekera-Pysyk
Weber-Ristolainen
Ruhwedel/McNabb/Zadarov/Pulock

Obviously there will be more changes but I'm being conservative, and that line-up still looks competitive.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

To add to that. I thought (I could be wrong) Ruhwedel is going back to play for UMASS next season. I wish I could find where I read that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To add to that. I thought (I could be wrong) Ruhwedel is going back to play for UMASS next season. I wish I could find where I read that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

He can't. He signed a contract and was paid to play. His NCAA eligibility is done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad