Brian Lee (#9-2005) vs Luc Bourdon (#10-2005)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bure94

Of the two defenders picked consecutively, whom would you pick ?

The kid from the Q or the kid from stateside ?

Last edited by a moderator:

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
I'll take Bourdon...for some reason I just don't like Lee, and thats good enough for me

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
There is already a thread on this in the Polls board.

I believe when i checked last, Bourdon was winning.

cyrisweb

Jul 1, 2002
Calgary ab
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
Lee over Bourdon in a millisecond.

Lee will be a star in the NHL.

Bourdon will be a 3/4 if you ask me.

Have you seen them both play for an extended period of time?
Curious where you come across these opinions.

AgentNaslund*

Shaun said:
I don't like Lee's hair. =/

man I kill to have hair and eyebrows like that, LMAO

anyways, anyone actually see Brian Lee play? No honestly, A crap load Canuck fans have seen him play but hows brian lee if you did see him play?

anyways, Luc Bourdon. Hes way better skater then Brian Lee

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
cyrisweb said:
Have you seen them both play for an extended period of time?
Curious where you come across these opinions.

Lee is so overrated, i cant even believe it. How did people even see him play...he had a brief stint in the WJr i believe, where he was just ok...kinda unimpressive.
Lee is a fine prospect, but its insane how people are just crazy about him now. He hasnt done anything special yet to deserve all that. He's a good D prospect with all the tools...he's still raw and has alot of work to do.

Bourdon is smooth in everything he does. He's more of a sure thing. He just had one bad All-Star game and everyone started flaming him. He's a sound two-way defenseman. He can be a top-pairing D-man, but in real i see him anywhere in top 4. I like Bourdon better than Brian Lee. Now, atleast...

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
Jon Prescription said:
Lee over Bourdon in a millisecond.

Lee will be a star in the NHL.

Bourdon will be a 3/4 if you ask me.

I've heard you speak on the subject before, and you're severely lowballing bourdon's talent to make Lee look better. They will both be excellent defenders, but you're underestimating Bourdon's ability. Bourdon will either be a #1 or a #2 in the NHL. Lee looks to be a powerplay qb with an upside of a #1 defender. Bourdon is a safer pick, as he is further developed, arguably a better skater, and a more physical presence. Lee is a gifted offensive d-man, however he is not as safe a pick as bourdon, IMO, they could have gone either way, if i had the choice, I would choose Bourdon, with his skill, speed, size, physicality, and offensive ability, he is a LOCK for top pairing. Lee has played is a good system, Bourdon has played on a defensively awful team, but i would wager that Lee's raw skill ability is above Bourdon's.

Your assumption that Bourdon isn't of the same quality is exactly that, an assumption, I've payed close attention to both, and I believe both are excellent picks. probably the best 2 d-men behind JJ. Which order is still in the air.

I strongly disagree with HF's rating of 8.5 for Lee, Zherdev is an 8.5, they are not the same pedigree.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Attica said:
I strongly disagree with HF's rating of 8.5 for Lee, Zherdev is an 8.5, they are not the same pedigree.

Thank You. Thats what i wanted to say in my other post. I like both the defensemen, Bourdon and Lee, but Lee seems to be getting overrated. First, Muckler made some funny comment after the draft that how ' we might lose a key defenseman next year and he'll be ready to step in '...i dont know, it was something along those lines, right? Right me if im wrong.

Other than that, i dont really give importance to HF Ratings. But Bourdon is rated 8.0 C which is a decent ranking for him. Lee is rated 8.5 C which is a lot of differences. I know it depends on the person who writes those reviews but i've been noticing anyway that Lee is getting overhyped...and i just dont know why? :dunno:

Sens4Cup

Mar 25, 2005
I think Lee may turn out to be the better player, but his development will certainly be slower. The Sens drafted Lee because of his overall athleticism partly, otherwise they could have taken a blue chip sure thing like Marc Staal.

I think Lee's upside may be higher but for now, even as a Sens fan, I'd go with Bourdon.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Bileur said:
Who here HAS SEEN LEE PLAY outside of his 4mins a game at the WJC? Serious question.

Easy answer: No one, which makes some of the statements in this thread beyond ridiculous.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
Easy answer: No one, which makes some of the statements in this thread beyond ridiculous.

Even at the WJCs his stride and everything just oozed of NHL star calibur stuff. Kid looks like he'll be a great one.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jon Prescription said:
Even at the WJCs his stride and everything just oozed of NHL star calibur stuff. Kid looks like he'll be a great one.

You allude to why Ottawa drafted him so high: he has a tremendous skillset in a NHL ready body. Lee will never be a banger, but he will be smooth as silk defending his zone and moving the puck.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
You allude to why Ottawa drafted him so high: he has a tremendous skillset in a NHL ready body. Lee will never be a banger, but he will be smooth as silk defending his zone and moving the puck.

I think he'll use his size, though. Not a HUGE hitter, but one who will shove you out of the way if he has to. Not another Tom Poti.

Towelie*

All start out by saying that I have never seen Lee play, other then the WJC's.

Bourdon is one of the best skaters I have seen. He is even a better skater then Ryan Kesler (What will Rabid Ranger do now? He is forced/commited to Kesler as Kesler is an American, he has praised Kesler's speed, but now Bourdon a better skater then Kesler? As any Canuck fan that has seem him in camp). Now, the one thing that really made me happy about Bourdon, moreso than his great skating, big frame, was his hitting.

Bourdon is a BIG hitter. I remember going to the UBC thunderbirds game VS Canucks prospects, and Bourdon just clocked someone 5 feet in front of me, HUGE open ice hit.

Sadly I do not know much about Lee, and therefore can't really compare the too.

My last point, it seems many American posters here feel the need to always defend American prospects, why is that? As a Canadian I couldn't care less about the prospects nationality.

Towelie*

Jon Prescription said:

I would SUGGEST that Bourdons stride (skating) is better then Lee's. That's how good Bourdons skating is in my opinion. *Note - Haven't seen Lee's stride, I am sure its good as well, however I just don't know how much better of a skater you can get then Bourdon.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
hrm, regardless of how good these prospects look right now, i have issues with proclaiming bourdon a surefire #1 or #2 defenseman right now. that's saying he's definatly going to be a top pair guy...i don't buy it, not yet. i'd say he has top 4 potential and then see how he develops.

people always seem to love to overhype new prospects i guess...

ndhockey21

Aug 1, 2004
North Dakota
I have seen Lee play many times. He has a smooth stride and is very alert. He may be a few years off the nhl unlike this Bourdon guy ive never seen. I will not say one is better than the other without seeing the other guy play. Lee will be a good nhl dman who can hit when he has to and give a great outlet pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad