Injury Report: Brett Pesce - Expected to be out long term lower body injury

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don't understand this.

Pesce is like what, 4m?

It gets a little more complex than this with LTIR and stuff, but simply stated, all cap space is prorated for the full season.

So, if you carry $4m in "cap space" for the whole season, then at the deadline want to add someone, since the deadline is roughly 3/4 of the way through the year you actually can add ~$16m in cap hit. It's all about how much cap space you "consume" in a given year, not how much you have on any given day.

Now, the NHL doesn't let you go the other way, you can't have more cap hit on your roster than you'd be able to handle if you don't make any more changes for the rest of the year, only to suddenly become cap compliant at the deadline by trading folks away. But they do let you make up for that "unused" cap space in a prorated way.

Reactions: geehaad and Lempo

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Troubling news but even if we double the injury time he is back in January for the stretch run. I’d think his trade value plummets though.

We have d depth so the team will just get on with it.

Right now I’m more worried about Aho’s health given the fact they aren’t able to play him at C (plus his weaker than normal shooting).

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Troubling news but even if we double the injury time he is back in January for the stretch run. I’d think his trade value plummets though.

We have d depth so the team will just get on with it.

Right now I’m more worried about Aho’s health given the fact they aren’t able to play him at C (plus his weaker than normal shooting).
agree -- and really if Aho is that banged up that he can't play his regular role, just keep sitting him. We'll turn things around and be able to win games without him and Pesce. I'll put way more stock into what we've seen from these guys under Rod the last 5 years than 7 games this year. under Rod we've always been able to overcome injuries. And really, as long as we get in the playoffs nothing else in the regular season matters one bit.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
So 2-4 weeks with surgery, so likely some kind of break that requires a few pins? Kinda like Turbo last year and Kadri the year before (though both hands/wrists instead of lower body)
Before the number I was wondering about core muscle surgery. But that’s more like 6-12 weeks. Your theory makes more sense, although foot surgery would probably be longer than hand/wrist.

2-4 weeks after surgery is throwing me off.

Reactions: CanesUltimate11

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Doctor Rod assessing Pesce for Maniscalco:

mc-coy-hes-dead-jim.gif

“Uh, Rod? I’m Mike.”

“Now you know how it feels.”

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Because I want to know goddamnit!
I like the honesty.

So 2-4 weeks with surgery, so likely some kind of break that requires a few pins? Kinda like Turbo last year and Kadri the year before (though both hands/wrists instead of lower body)
Could have been arthroscopic surgery on the knee - according to a fellow I know who’s had about 27 surgeries and is very aware of recovery times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad