Brett Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I love this place.

I think I know what you mean? And I agree that people here (myself occasionally incl) have a tendency to overreact. That being said, I am in the same boat as Mike...I'm a little worried.

When you look at the price the B's paid, I would think that a Top 9, 20 goal guy is about what you would expect and right now, Connolly doesn't look like that. I get that it's ONLY preseason, but with the way the B's finished last year you would think that these guys would be coming in with something to prove? Connolly has been outplayed by a number of other wings (Vatrano, Ferlin, even Blidh) and while it is ONLY preseason, those other guys were playing against the same type of competition that BC was, right? If he's not impressing against a mix of NHL/AHL guys, what's he going to look like against a full NHL squad.

I hope that I am wrong and that BC starts to bring it, but I'm concerned.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
didn`t go 5-5-10 in his five game stint last year and hasn`t dominated pre-season with brand spanking new linemates (although I "think" he and Spoons played before during Junior years)

It`s really pretty plain to see Mike:sarcasm:

Connolly was with Spooner on the 09-10 U18 team, but I have no idea whether they played on the same line.

That being said, he has looked like dog doo. Has Vatrano played with Ferlin or Czarnik or Ferlin before? Blidh with Kelly?

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I don't think the book is out on Connolly yet. Entirely possible what you've seen from him in our uniform is the result of being post injury/rusty. It will take time to figure this one out.

But he hasn't looked good and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about him at all.

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
I think if Connelly wasn't a top pick in his draft he wouldn't get the leeway that some are giving him here. He has been an underachiever for the most part since his draft and continues to be unimpressive. Right now is his chance to shine and prove that he can be a top 6 forward in the NHL and on a team that other than Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand and maybe Eriksson lacks that skill level.

Pastrnak has grabbed the ball and has shown that he could be capable of playing top 6 this year, where Connolly seems like a player that believes his draft position and the price to acquire him has guaranteed him a spot on one of the top lines in Boston. If I was building a team that is trying to shed the passenger vibe, he is the last player that I would want in the dressing room.

I think someone needs to send a message to this kid that if you don`t work harder than the others in camp, you won`t be here regardless of where Tampa drafted him and how much Chiarelli paid to get him. Everyone on the team needs to work hard and earn their spot...EVERYONE

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Man I hope he hits 20 goals so he doesn't get burned at the stake. I'd be a bit disappointed if he didn't hit that but to call him a total bust already is ludicrous and he has shown even in the AHL the year before last hes capable of putting up large numbers. Even if he ends up being a 4th liner we have an abundance of young prospects, I don't understand why hes the center of so much hate before hardly playing any regular season games. It's like people want him to fail like it verifies the sky is falling.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn't be shocked at all if we have trouble scoring early in the season and Julien tries something like this:

Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
Eriksson - Spooner - Hayes

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I wouldn't be shocked at all if we have trouble scoring early in the season and Julien tries something like this:

Marchand - Bergeron - Connolly
Eriksson - Spooner - Hayes

Yeah, in fact, I always thought the closest comparable player to Connolly was Horton. Not an overly creative or high IQ player, but decently skilled forward with a heavy shot who brings some physicality and size along.

So, slotting him in on the right with Bergeron is an option. Or, like Horton, beside with Beleskey and Krejci, to see if he can offer a Horton-like presence on that line.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
tons of chat/concern about Connolly and the price paid for him yet Beleskey hasn`t done much in pre-season and crickets?????

One of the many reasons I tend not to worry a ton about things this time of year as I still think Connolly will be fine as will MB but I`m nuts that way

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
tons of chat/concern about Connolly and the price paid for him yet Beleskey hasn`t done much in pre-season and crickets?????

One of the many reasons I tend not to worry a ton about things this time of year as I still think Connolly will be fine as will MB but I`m nuts that way

Very good point. There are a few that have underwhelmed so far and I'm not hearing much criticism of them. Hayes doesn't look like a ball of fire either. I have personally been critical of Connolly, and when he hit the pipe and then missed a somewhat open net the other night I thought "not another guy who can't finish!!!"

I'm backing off and we'll see what happens.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
This thread:

"Why is everyone hating on this guy!"

"Well actually here is a reasonable response with some general concerns, but we don't know enough yet to know anything. Hoping he plays well."

"You people want him to fail."

Good times....good times.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Cause it feels like Connolly has potential to grow into a sniper while Beleskey feels like a finished product. Connolly is more interesting.

EDIT: this was meant as a response to ODAAT's post.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Very good point. There are a few that have underwhelmed so far and I'm not hearing much criticism of them. Hayes doesn't look like a ball of fire either. I have personally been critical of Connolly, and when he hit the pipe and then missed a somewhat open net the other night I thought "not another guy who can't finish!!!"

I'm backing off and we'll see what happens.

Will come down to if it was a Chiarelli or Sweeney deal to seal the players faith.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Man I hope he hits 20 goals so he doesn't get burned at the stake. I'd be a bit disappointed if he didn't hit that but to call him a total bust already is ludicrous and he has shown even in the AHL the year before last hes capable of putting up large numbers. Even if he ends up being a 4th liner we have an abundance of young prospects, I don't understand why hes the center of so much hate before hardly playing any regular season games. It's like people want him to fail like it verifies the sky is falling.

Umm because we essentially gave up a year of Boychuk to get Connolly. Two second round picks is a very steep price to pay if he turns into a 4th liner. Hell we drafted Bergeron with a 2nd round pick, Lucic with a 2nd, and Krejci with a 2nd. Connolly has something to prove this year. To prove that he wasn't Chia's last bad decision before he left us.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
This thread:

"Why is everyone hating on this guy!"

"Well actually here is a reasonable response with some general concerns, but we don't know enough yet to know anything. Hoping he plays well."

"You people want him to fail."

Good times....good times.

don't act like everyone who is concerned about him too such a measured and reasonable tact in their posts.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Well, one big (obvious) difference is that Beleskey was a UFA and didn't cost the B's two second round picks.

Another big difference is that Connolly had a head start on the new guys like MB because he got here at the deadline.

Last, MB is a late bloomer, but is still more "proven" than Connolly. Given their respective situations (one a sought after FA, the other on a one year deal), one would think that BC would be a little more motivated to come out like his hair was on fire.

None of this will mean anything if Connolly shows up when the real games start, which is what I hope happens.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Umm because we essentially gave up a year of Boychuk to get Connolly. Two second round picks is a very steep price to pay if he turns into a 4th liner. Hell we drafted Bergeron with a 2nd round pick, Lucic with a 2nd, and Krejci with a 2nd. Connolly has something to prove this year. To prove that he wasn't Chia's last bad decision before he left us.

No I get why people are a little down on him, but has he actually done anything yet to prove that is all he is going to be? Does he deserve to be so looked down upon right now? If he becomes Shawn Thornton 2.0 and helps us get a cup is the fact that we gave up 2 2nd rounders for a 4th liner going to result in him constantly being trashed? Connoly didn't control the cost much like Eriksson who does very well for us, but nonetheless continues to get attacked because he isn't Seguin. I don't see a need to transfer a hate for Chiarelli onto the players he acquired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad