Prospect Info: Brendan Lemieux

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ah okay. It would be great if he can get a lot better on the defensive side. If he's an agitator that's what his coach will mostly judge his play on.

From the "Black Book", which I like as a scouting guide...

Lemieux is definitely his father’s son. He’s the type of player that every team needs, and opponents hate to play against. He’ll take a hit to make a play, and will dish out more than his fair share of punishment. He always finishes his checks, and more often than not he’ll give a little more after the whistle. Almost every game he seems to get under his opponent’s skin. He’s more than a super pest, though. He’s excellent around the net.

Lemieux has a good pair of hands, and can not only finish in tight, but he can deflect pucks, and score that way, too. He has a nose for the net, and is effective when he sets up shop there, especially on the powerplay. He also has a pro shot, which makes him dangerous from a distance as well. He’s a smart player, and can make decisions quickly. Lemieux’s skating has improved a ton over the last year or so. He can now outskate opposing players to loose pucks, etc. His skating ability allows him to take defenders wide with speed before making a power move towards the net. He wins a lot of puck battles, and is good cycling the puck as well as grinding along the boards.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Did anyone hear Doug McLean yesterday? He wasn't quite as glowing about Brendan as Button and others. Paraphrasing a bit: He said he coached him at the top prospects game and he's a bit of a head case. Said he had just as many of his own teammates po'd at him in that game as the opposition.

I recall hearing Chevy say they ingerviewed Lemieux at the combine and were impressed with him. Not sure what it all means but it is interesting.

Based on comments I've been reading it sounds like he was a little on the immature side of things. Hopefully based on Chevy's combine interview and Hawerchuck's glowing appraisal of him he's matured in recent years.

One thing I'm concerned about is his dad playing too big of a role in his career. Based off of Buffalo fan's comments, it sounded like his dad was the one who told Murray that Brendan wouldn't sign with them. I also got the impression that his dad is his agent... which is never a good thing. Could be that we got both Claude and Brendan in this trade, for better or for worse ;).

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Pretty low for McLean to throw an 18-year old junior kid under the bus publicly. I think he's often full of hot air.

I think that the Jets have a very good line on Lemieux via his coach Hawerchuk. I doubt that they would be very high on him if there were major concerns.

He wasn't making it up though. It was real. The thing is perhaps because of his style of play those teammates were actually old enemies with a grudge. Maybe it's the intensity (hello Bobby Ryan) that the Jets like.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He wasn't making it up though. It was real. The thing is perhaps because of his style of play those teammates were actually old enemies with a grudge. Maybe it's the intensity (hello Bobby Ryan) that the Jets like.

Sure. I'm sure that a lot of his "teammates" for that one game didn't immediately forget all of their previous run-ins, and the fact that they would be playing against him in the future. My point is that McLean probably didn't think too deeply about the dynamics, and wanted instead to draw attention to himself.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Similarly to the fact that this trade was unconventional (a package centered around futures from the tankiest tank factory in the Tanknited States), I think if the Jets are really high on him, it's not for conventional reasons.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I remember Claude Lemieux, despite what kind of season he was having at the time, was absolutely money in the bank when it came to playoff office pools. Just another gear of competitive when some faded away. If his son can come anywhere near to that we have a gem on our hands.

Like I said before, he is exactly the type I'd want on our side rather than playing against. He will grow up some and find his niche, no doubt. If he can refine his game, mature a bit more, and find his angle at the NHL level without crossing the line (too much anyhow) this kid could be a beauty. He could also turn out to be be Sean Avery. I kind of doubt that because he has some solid mentors around him in Barrie and the Winnipeg connection with Scheifele, whom he looked up to apparently, and is a pro in every sense thus far.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Sure. I'm sure that a lot of his "teammates" for that one game didn't immediately forget all of their previous run-ins, and the fact that they would be playing against him in the future. My point is that McLean probably didn't think too deeply about the dynamics, and wanted instead to draw attention to himself.

The context of this came out because he was arguing that the trade wasn't a slam dunk win for the Jets as many others had said. His take was that it was fair and a good deal for both. He didn't just say this out of the blue.

jetkarma*

From the "Black Book", which I like as a scouting guide...

Thanks for including that piece. Pretty much confirms what has been said and posted by some others.

I have no doubt the Jets have done their homework on him and are very high on his future.

jetkarma*

The context of this came out because he was arguing that the trade wasn't a slam dunk win for the Jets as many others had said. His take was that it was fair and a good deal for both. He didn't just say this out of the blue.

Doug Maclean isn't very tactful He often is on in other markets and has made comments about the Jets to get a laugh or to be a smart azz IMO. Some dismiss Button , well I have virtually no belief in DM.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The biggest difference between Lowry and Lemieux is in the defensive end.

Lowry has long been a solid shutdown guy, Lemieux's defensive game was considered his biggest weakness heading into the draft.

Many scouting reports basically summed him up as:
  • Not a scorer.
  • Not great defensively.
But...
  • Gritty as all heck.

I like him. I liked him before the draft. I have always liked rats and agitators, but my long term expectations aren't that high. I am expecting him to make the NHL in a dirty ratty role - perhaps something like Tom Wilson or Andrew Shaw and I wouldn't be stunned if he turned out to be more of a Carcillo or Kaleta.

I certainly hope not. There should be no place in the NHL for them. They cross the line. Way across the line.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am probably a bit cooler on Lemieux than most. His scoring numbers are inflated by his PP production this season. I will hope he becomes our Gallagher but I am not a fan of guys that are loose cannon types. Hopefully I am wrong because it would be great to have a pest with hands. I have some faith in our scouting staff but he is the least attractive piece for me in this deal.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
He is 100% the type of player I would want on my team and not want to play against. So, anywhere he lands in the Jets org (NHL/AHL) is good with me. That said, he has some intangibles to his game that can't be measured and simply makes a team better (intensity, drive, chirping, grit, etc) just by being there. Showing that he has good hands and knack for the net is a huge bonus.

I suspect that Chevy and Co. were hoping for the same return on drafting Lukas Sutter a few years ago but it never worked out. Lemieux seems to have some badassery mixed with speed and skill. Sutter showed flashes of both but nothing to get excited about whereas Lemieux shows quite a bit more promise.

Yeah. I'd rather that type of player on our side.

Ah the irony. Hate Kane, love lemieux

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
There is something to be said for bloodlines and growing up around the professional game.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I like the player. We need that element in our lineup. I have full confidence in PoMo to have him play on that edge and not cross it.

So, I think he'll be more of a scorer, than straight agitator. My hope is he'll be a 20-25 g guy, that is more of a Steve Ott/Brad Marchand type player. A gritty, pain the ass, who chips in his share of key goals. We'll see.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I think there is A LOT to be excited about when trying to determine Brendan's pro value.

PROS:
- skates well
- pro release and power on shot (especially snap shot)
- elite with tips ins, deflections, garbage goals in front of net
- super competitive and will do anything to win
- pedigree: we all know about Claude
- referral: Ducky likes him, and that means something

CONS:
- takes too many penalties
- May be over confident (cocky)
- father, perhaps: is Claude too involved in his career?

It's obvious that the pros outweigh the cons. Secondly, you'll notice that the CONS I listed can all be corrected with simple maturation. Let's not forget that Brendan is a teenager. His discipline, attitude, and level of independence will only improve with time.

I can see him developing into a Dino Ciccarelli /Rick Tocchet as his high end and at worst a serviceable 3rd line winger to play with Lowry and contribute with physical play and clutch goals (just like papa!).

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
@mazmin: listening to his most recent interview, he was incredibly well spoken as well. Seems like he might have the intelligence to understand how his game is going to have to morph - he admitted as much in the interview that he'll have to modify certain parts of his game.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Did anyone hear Doug McLean yesterday? He wasn't quite as glowing about Brendan as Button and others. Paraphrasing a bit: He said he coached him at the top prospects game and he's a bit of a head case. Said he had just as many of his own teammates po'd at him in that game as the opposition.

I recall hearing Chevy say they ingerviewed Lemieux at the combine and were impressed with him. Not sure what it all means but it is interesting.

Hopefully after the Kane BS, Chevy wont let the next player problem fester.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
@mazmin: listening to his most recent interview, he was incredibly well spoken as well. Seems like he might have the intelligence to understand how his game is going to have to morph - he admitted as much in the interview that he'll have to modify certain parts of his game.

I like what I hear about his character and being a respectful kid (from anyone who seems to know him). At the end of the day its not what is going to get him into the NHL but I heard the same interview and it reminded me a bit of Lowry when he was younger. I think Adam was always crystal clear on what type of game he would need to play in the NHL and hopefully Brendan has that same chip.

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg

Nice! I watched an interview from last year and he was already well spoke and seemed concerned about being "part of a strong organization" and "surrounded by strong players." He must be happy to be a Jet! I'm happy to hear his latest interview shows that his development as a person is heading in the right direction. I feel like his continued growth off the ice will allow him to maximize his effectiveness as a teammate on the ice. Keep it up Brendy!

With all this new depth in the Jets organization I expect he will be developed slowly with some time in the AHL getting quality minutes in all situations. I can see Petan, Copp, and Morrissey doing the same. Ehlers, on the other hand, I can see in the NHL as soon as this year (during the playoffs if Halifax is out quick and the Jets are in). His skating, puck control, decision making, and shot are already good enough for any level - so I think.

Back to Lemieux. I'd like to see him improve his discipline during the playoffs for Barrie. His excessive penalties do hurt his team and he needs to pick his battles. I'm guessing his poor +/- is a direct reflection of his PIM's and a sub-par PK in Barrie. Does anyone have stats to back up this thought?

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I like what I hear about his character and being a respectful kid (from anyone who seems to know him). At the end of the day its not what is going to get him into the NHL but I heard the same interview and it reminded me a bit of Lowry when he was younger. I think Adam was always crystal clear on what type of game he would need to play in the NHL and hopefully Brendan has that same chip.

This is exciting stuff. Just the thought of Lemieux and Lowry as 2/3 of a physical, shut down, agitating line with a scoring touch makes me think the Jets can be a miserable team to play against well into the next decade. To this: :yo:

PS: I want your avatar as a Tshirt because it's fully hilarious, and I love subtly reminding Leaf fans of Jet successes because I live in Toronto and I'm classy like that.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think there is A LOT to be excited about when trying to determine Brendan's pro value.

PROS:
- skates well
- pro release and power on shot (especially snap shot)
- elite with tips ins, deflections, garbage goals in front of net
- super competitive and will do anything to win
- pedigree: we all know about Claude
- referral: Ducky likes him, and that means something

CONS:
- takes too many penalties
- May be over confident (cocky)
- father, perhaps: is Claude too involved in his career?

It's obvious that the pros outweigh the cons. Secondly, you'll notice that the CONS I listed can all be corrected with simple maturation. Let's not forget that Brendan is a teenager. His discipline, attitude, and level of independence will only improve with time.

I can see him developing into a Dino Ciccarelli /Rick Tocchet as his high end and at worst a serviceable 3rd line winger to play with Lowry and contribute with physical play and clutch goals (just like papa!).

I'm very excited about Brendan, he brings something we've never had. I liked his dad's game and I'm looking forward to seeing his son play one day as a Jet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad