Prospect Info: Brendan Lemieux

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
this guy is gonna be a beast

Craig Button's glowing appraisal aside, I'm seeing a few red flags with regards to Brendan Lemieux.

He's got a strange ratio of goals to assists. 36g 15a? Most of his goalscoring is on the PP. He's a minus 11 on a team that's been pretty good at outscoring their opponents. And wow, that's a lot of PIMs.

On the off-ice side, he apparently told the Sabres he wouldn't sign with them. So less than 1 year after being drafted 31st overall, he's decided he wants to re-enter the draft in June of 2016? He and Claude were apparently upset he wasn't taken in the first round last year...Who does this guy think he is?

kylehollywalter

Oct 22, 2014
Winnipeg MB
Craig Button's glowing appraisal aside, I'm seeing a few red flags with regards to Brendan Lemieux.

He's got a strange ratio of goals to assists. 36g 15a? Most of his goalscoring is on the PP. He's a minus 11 on a team that's been pretty good at outscoring their opponents. And wow, that's a lot of PIMs.

On the off-ice side, he apparently told the Sabres he wouldn't sign with them. So less than 1 year after being drafted 31st overall, he's decided he wants to re-enter the draft in June of 2016? He and Claude were apparently upset he wasn't taken in the first round last year...Who does this guy think he is?

I share some of your concern but if someone can find it today the fan1290 interviewed him and he certainly carries himself as a humble and respectful individual. He holds 55 in high regard, he comments on chevy's interest in him at the draft last year and notes that he isn't ready yet but feels he can get there (the NHL). It's also worth noting an earlier interviewer was on commenting how a year ago you couldnt have a conversation with brendan where he didnt say "****", and now he acts like a consummate professional.

The apparent maturity and the fact he has the support of his father - I dont think he wont get to the nhl. Less likely as a top six player and more like a Antoine Russell. which is fine by me.

But he's been suspended for biting so who knows how he actually is.

bazaaa*

He seems like he could be a problem, but I'd rather just see how it plays out. See his interview about the draft? He was mad Colorado and a couple other teams passed on him. ANd goes on to say he's going to use that fire against them when he plays those teams. That whole thing just soundsa little ridiculous to me. Holding a grudge and "I'll show them" because they didn't draft you.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
He seems like he could be a problem, but I'd rather just see how it plays out. See his interview about the draft? He was mad Colorado and a couple other teams passed on him. ANd goes on to say he's going to use that fire against them when he plays those teams. That whole thing just soundsa little ridiculous to me. Holding a grudge and "I'll show them" because they didn't draft you.

Well we got rid of Kane so we needed another controversy :sarcasm:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

If it were up to me, every Jet would hold a grudge against all 29 other teams and half the KHL.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
17 yo closest age, era, and league adjusted scoring: Chris Thorburn

Doesn't mean he's going to be Chris Thorburn but keeps in mind that anything can happen.

On one hand Thorburn hadn't grown like Lemieux did for their 18 yo production.
On the other hand, high G:A ratios where Gs predominately come from PP tend to be a red flag more often than not.

IMO, he's a good prospect and good chance to be better than Thorburn, but that's just my opinion.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
He is 100% the type of player I would want on my team and not want to play against. So, anywhere he lands in the Jets org (NHL/AHL) is good with me. That said, he has some intangibles to his game that can't be measured and simply makes a team better (intensity, drive, chirping, grit, etc) just by being there. Showing that he has good hands and knack for the net is a huge bonus.

I suspect that Chevy and Co. were hoping for the same return on drafting Lukas Sutter a few years ago but it never worked out. Lemieux seems to have some badassery mixed with speed and skill. Sutter showed flashes of both but nothing to get excited about whereas Lemieux shows quite a bit more promise.

Yeah. I'd rather that type of player on our side.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I posted this in the trade thread:

Brad May is on Tim & Sid. On Brendan Lemiuex:

[Claude and I] played together in Phoenix and we're good family friends. Our families are tight and so I watched Brendan grow up. He's the same age as my son and I like the kid. I really really like Brendan Lemiuex. I like the person. I think he's very respectful.

Um, when he plays, he's a complete idiot, and he plays on the edge, and he upsets people. But when he's there, he definitely brings the energy to every game.

I, uh, like (?) it...

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Lemieux isn't going to be a scorer but he's got that same
style of playing, that I didn't give much credence to, that Lowry had. Scoring isn't going to be his role. The same way it's not for Lowry or Thorburn for that matter. He's apparently a jerk (lol), he's built like a brick **** house and he has other skills that should make him a capable NHLer. Guys like him are the reasons guys like Galiardi get scratched.

He's not a sure thing but if he puts in the work and develops well no reason he won't be a smart, annoying, tough 3rd/4th liner to play against.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Lemieux isn't going to be a scorer but he's got that same
style of playing, that I didn't give much credence to, that Lowry had. Scoring isn't going to be his role. The same way it's not for Lowry or Thorburn for that matter. He's apparently a jerk (lol), he's built like a brick **** house and he has other skills that should make him a capable NHLer. Guys like him are the reasons guys like Galiardi get scratched.

He's not a sure thing but if he puts in the work and develops well no reason he won't be a smart, annoying, tough 3rd/4th liner to play against.

The biggest difference between Lowry and Lemieux is in the defensive end.

Lowry has long been a solid shutdown guy, Lemieux's defensive game was considered his biggest weakness heading into the draft.

Many scouting reports basically summed him up as:
  • Not a scorer.
  • Not great defensively.
But...
  • Gritty as all heck.

I like him. I liked him before the draft. I have always liked rats and agitators, but my long term expectations aren't that high. I am expecting him to make the NHL in a dirty ratty role - perhaps something like Tom Wilson or Andrew Shaw and I wouldn't be stunned if he turned out to be more of a Carcillo or Kaleta.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Lowry has long been a solid shutdown guy, Lemieux's defensive game was considered his biggest weakness heading into the draft.

• Not a scorer.
  • Not great defensively.
But...
  • Gritty as all heck.

I like him. I liked him before the draft. I have always liked rats and agitators, but my long term expectations aren't that high. I am expecting him to make the NHL in a dirty ratty role - perhaps something like Tom Wilson or Andrew Shaw and I wouldn't be stunned if he turned out to be more of a Carcillo or Kaleta.

Kid is on pace for 50 OHL goals in his draft+1 year. However he's scoring them, that is not a trivial feat for an "agitator".

He trails only McDavid in the OHL in goals/game this year, ahead of Marner, Dal Colle, Strome, etc.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think the idea of Lemieux and Lipon on the 4th line in a few years.

That said, there was also a time when I was excited about Cormier and Klingberg on the 4th line...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the idea of Lemieux and Lipon on the 4th line in a few years.

That said, there was also a time when I was excited about Cormier and Klingberg on the 4th line...

We'll go from just being easily the most penalized team in the league to Broad-Street Bullies level. :laugh:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Did anyone hear Doug McLean yesterday? He wasn't quite as glowing about Brendan as Button and others. Paraphrasing a bit: He said he coached him at the top prospects game and he's a bit of a head case. Said he had just as many of his own teammates po'd at him in that game as the opposition.

I recall hearing Chevy say they ingerviewed Lemieux at the combine and were impressed with him. Not sure what it all means but it is interesting.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

• Not a scorer.
  • Not great defensively.
But...
  • Gritty as all heck.

Ah okay. It would be great if he can get a lot better on the defensive side. If he's an agitator that's what his coach will mostly judge his play on.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009

I think most of his goals coming on the PP really hurt the appearance of his +/-. I'd like to see him start putting up some even strength points since he probably won't be talented enough to get much time on the 1st PP Unit. The kid looks like a gamer though. This was the part of the deal that hurt the most. It was really shocking to hear that he wasn't going to sign with the Sabres. There was no indication that there were any problems with him all year. Considering the year the Sabres were having, everyone in the Buffalo media have been following our prospects pretty closely this year.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Did anyone hear Doug McLean yesterday? He wasn't quite as glowing about Brendan as Button and others. Paraphrasing a bit: He said he coached him at the top prospects game and he's a bit of a head case. Said he had just as many of his own teammates po'd at him in that game as the opposition.

I recall hearing Chevy say they ingerviewed Lemieux at the combine and were impressed with him. Not sure what it all means but it is interesting.
I have heard rumor of this stuff too. Hoping there isn't much to it.

jetkarma*

Kid is on pace for 50 OHL goals in his draft+1 year. However he's scoring them, that is not a trivial feat for an "agitator".

He trails only McDavid in the OHL in goals/game this year, ahead of Marner, Dal Colle, Strome, etc.

I like that aspect as well. His game his strengths his forte isn't that of a scoring winger. It is being competitive , aggressive, physical and finishing checks. Add in some edginess and then the element of being able to finish ... Well I like that. Projects to becoming , and in the words of Bob Mac Kenzie , very likely a good third line player. We don't have to wonder if he can produce some points and score goals when the chances are there. Nice component. Very nice.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I have heard rumor of this stuff too. Hoping there isn't much to it.

Pretty low for McLean to throw an 18-year old junior kid under the bus publicly. I think he's often full of hot air.

I think that the Jets have a very good line on Lemieux via his coach Hawerchuk. I doubt that they would be very high on him if there were major concerns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad