Prospect Info: Brendan Guhle (2015, 51st) – '18-19: Rochester #45 (AHL)

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
God, Rochester is painful to watch. This style of hockey needs to gtfo from the org.

It is ugly af.

Guhle's had a couple of tough shifts, flubbed a chance to get the puck out of the zone and then hemmed in for a very long shift, got walked on a one on one on another.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
of course they lost, i don't even think playing for that team is good for quality prospects, really don't want Guhle there next season and would be thrilled if Nylander showed up to camp improved enough to make the Sabres.

play is so erratic, no flow/organization.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He's gonna be the best skating D we've had since Campbell. Gonna be a welcome addition on the blueline next season.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I'd be awfully surprised if he's in Roch comes thanksgiving of next season. He's a pro player already.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I'd be awfully surprised if he's in Roch comes thanksgiving of next season. He's a pro player already.

I've said it previously but I'll repeat it because I sort of agree with you.

Murray should prepare as if Guhle is NOT ready -- that only benefits the Sabres. I don't think Guhle should be in Roch regardless of how he plays, if he earns a spot he earns a spot.

With that said, assuming he doesn't blow us (Murray) away in TC/Pre-Season, I would not hate having him play ~ 20 games where he can play 20+ min a night all situations in Rochester.

Obviously the goal with any prospect is to maximize their potential. Given that Guhle is realistically our only probable NHL defensive prospect the Sabres need to give him all the time they can to allow him to round out his game. Don't get me wrong, if he can play better than adequate then bring him up. I personally don't think that the Sabres should have him up full-time next year if he could only play at the level of Cody Franson, for example.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
He's gonna be the best skating D we've had since Campbell. Gonna be a welcome addition on the blueline next season.

Campbell spent years shuffling between Buffalo and Rochester (mostly Rochester) before he established himself as a legit top 4. I think patience with Guhle is necessary. He's an amazing talent.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Campbell spent years shuffling between Buffalo and Rochester (mostly Rochester) before he established himself as a legit top 4. I think patience with Guhle is necessary. He's an amazing talent.

Campbell was also an undersized 6th round pick trying to break into the league during the apex of the dead puck era. He didn't truly break out until after the 04-05 lockout. Guhle was a second round pick who nearly made the Sabres right after being drafted, has drool worthy size AND skating and also proved at the combine that he was one of if not the most all around physically gifted draft prospects.

I have no problem if Guhle is in the top 6 next year if he shows to be one of the 6 best defenseman in pre season. I am not sending Guhle to Rochester and deferring to a guy like a Falk or someone just because Guhle is 20. I think Guhle is going to start up in Buffalo.

X-Risto
McCabe-Bogo
Guhle-X
Gorges

That's the blue line projected for next year. If Josh ****ing Gorges is still a Sabre this coming October then Guhle better be up with the big club playing over him.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Before the end of opening period, newcomer Brendan Guhle raced into the offensive zone to catch up to a loose puck just inside the Bears zone.
As the offensive-defenseman reached the puck, he quickly ripped a shot over the left shoulder from the near face-off dot to reclaim the Rochester lead at 2-1.
Justin Vaive and Daniel Muzito-Bagenda each recorded helpers on the play at the 14:32 mark.
http://www.amerks.com/recap/20170407

Last edited:

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Before the end of opening period, newcomer Brendan Guhle raced into the offensive zone to catch up to a loose puck just inside the Bears zone.
As the offensive-defenseman reached the puck, he quickly ripped a shot over the left shoulder from the near face-off dot to reclaim the Rochester lead at 2-1.
Justin Vaive and Daniel Muzito-Bagenda each recorded helpers on the play at the 14:32 mark.
http://www.amerks.com/recap/20170407

I applaud the AHL removing the blue line to encourage more offense.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I applaud the AHL removing the blue line to encourage more offense.

I wish the NHL would follow and do that too...the blue-line is just annoying now. I wanna see more exciting hockey instead of stoppages in play b/c of offsides.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

As soon as Brendan Guhle started skating, Amerks coach Dan Lambert was in love. He also recognized the movement.
“To compare him to an NHLer, I certainly have somebody in mind that I think he can become,” Lambert said Monday.
“It wouldn’t be fair to put that name to him right now.”

If Lambert doesn’t want to put undue pressure on Guhle, the name clearly isn’t Andy Delmore or Timo Helbling. It’s someone who’s made an impact.
Buffalo hopes Guhle can be that player sooner rather than later. “I don’t know what their plans are, but we’ll find out next year,”
Guhle said in Blue Cross Arena. “They’re not going to give me a spot, so I’ve got to earn it.”

The 19-year-old won't be handed a spot with the Sabres, but it’s safe to say he’s penciled in for one. Buffalo needs smooth-skating, puck-moving defensemen.
Guhle fits that description. In fact, that was Tim Kennedy’s exact description.
The Buffalo-born center plays with Guhle in a summer league, and Kennedy finished this season with the defenseman in Rochester.
Guhle joined the Amerks after his junior career ended, recording a goal and assist in six games.
“He’s a very talented young kid,” Kennedy said. “He skates really well, good shot, good patience with the puck. I think he’ll be a really great player.”

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo got a glimpse of Guhle in December. He played three games as an emergency callup, and many wished the emergency lasted longer.
“He played very well for us,” Sabres General Manager Tim Murray said. “You can’t get too excited because short term can fool you, but I don’t think he’s fooling anybody.
He’s a tremendous skater. He’s got skill. He is what we need. We need our D to get up in the play and become that second wave of attack that we didn’t have much of this year.”

Guhle put up good offensive numbers in the Western Hockey League, totaling 15 goals and 39 points in 53 games.
A midseason trade made the year memorable, but the call to Buffalo made it unforgettable.
“Playing my first three games, that was definitely the highlight of the year,” Guhle said.
“It was good to be able to get a little experience up there and get kind of familiar with the league.
Playing those few games, that was exciting and helped prepare me for next year.”

The second-round pick from the 2015 NHL Draft was glad to get another taste of professional life with the Amerks.
He also joined Rochester for six games last spring, recording a goal and four points.
This year was more intense because the Amerks played six games in nine days.

Fatigue set in, but Lambert remained impressed. “His ability to skate, his ability to defend, his awareness defensively is very good,” Rochester’s coach said. “He played well.”
There are, of course, things for the prospect to improve. He needs to close on opponents quicker, not give them time to make plays or find space.
“He has the ability because of his skating ability, so those are things he’s going to get better at with experience,” Lambert said.

Guhle’s main goal this summer is to get stronger. After experiencing how the NHL game is played, the 6-foot-2 defender will try to add to his 189-pound frame.
“I have to be bigger and stronger if I want to be better at this level,” said Guhle, whose quick taste of Buffalo increased his hunger.
“It’s just getting one step closer to playing in the NHL, and I’m excited about that. It could be next year. It could be the year after.
Who knows, but I’m just going to take it one day at a time and try and play my best.”

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/17/guhle-continues-skate-toward-role-sabres/

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

As soon as Brendan Guhle started skating, Amerks coach Dan Lambert was in love. He also recognized the movement.
“To compare him to an NHLer, I certainly have somebody in mind that I think he can become,†Lambert said Monday.
“It wouldn’t be fair to put that name to him right now.â€

If Lambert doesn’t want to put undue pressure on Guhle, the name clearly isn’t Andy Delmore or Timo Helbling. It’s someone who’s made an impact.
Buffalo hopes Guhle can be that player sooner rather than later. “I don’t know what their plans are, but we’ll find out next year,â€
Guhle said in Blue Cross Arena. “They’re not going to give me a spot, so I’ve got to earn it.â€

The 19-year-old won't be handed a spot with the Sabres, but it’s safe to say he’s penciled in for one. Buffalo needs smooth-skating, puck-moving defensemen.
Guhle fits that description. In fact, that was Tim Kennedy’s exact description.
The Buffalo-born center plays with Guhle in a summer league, and Kennedy finished this season with the defenseman in Rochester.
Guhle joined the Amerks after his junior career ended, recording a goal and assist in six games.
“He’s a very talented young kid,†Kennedy said. “He skates really well, good shot, good patience with the puck. I think he’ll be a really great player.â€

Guhle plays in that Buffalo summer league with the pros and college players? That's a good sign.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
I don't see how. Gostisbehere played three years of college hockey including a Frozen Four championship, then a couple more seasons in the AHL before earning a call up and sticking around, eventually coming in second for the Calder Trophy. This season is all on him.

Gostisbehere played 21 games in the AHL...not even half a season.

He played 2 games on an ATO in 2013-14.

In 2014-15 he played in 5 AHL games and 2 NHL games, and then he tore his ACL.

Then in 2015-16 he played 14 AHL games and 64 NHL games.

(That's who I'd like to see the Sabres get actually. The Flyers have so much talent with Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, Hagg, Myers, they all have top-4 talent. On the flip-side, they don't have much in terms of young forward prospects.)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Even with changes in Sabres organization, Brendan Guhle still aiming high - Mike Harrington - Buffalo News - July 8.

The Sabres have puffed up their NHL defense. There doesn't seem to be the thought - or the need - for Brendan Guhle to make the club this fall in his third year in the organization.
But that doesn't mean the 20-year-old isn't thinking about. Far from it.

"Whatever happens, my goal is still to make the team this year," Guhle said Saturday after his first development camp practice in HarborCenter.
"It's not supposed to be easy but I'm not supposed to come in and have a spot ready for me either.
I'll have to show them in training camp and preseason that I'm ready to play and I'm sure if I'm ready they'll do what's best for me."

Guhle's fast-paced style from the back end certainly stands to be a beneficiary of having Phil Housley's guidance as the Sabres' new head coach.
Guhle admitted the firing of GM Tim Murray, who took him in the second round in 2015, caught him off guard.

But it's now time to show Buffalo GM Jason Botterill and Rochester GM Randy Sexton what he's made of.
"It's what development camp is," Guhle said. "You have to meet and greet. I'm just going to try to do my best on the ice, off the ice.
Be a leader. Try to make a good first impression."

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
To play Devils advocate, what happens if Guhle has yet again another highly impressive TC/pre-season? What if he is clearly one of the 6 best dmen on the roster? Is he kept up and given a few games in rotation with say Antipin or Beaulieu? Is Bogosian moved out? Or is he destined for Rochester no matter how well he plays? That's what I'm interested in seeing this upcoming season. Would be great to see him just come in and play so well that he forces Management to accommodate him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I wouldn't be at all surprised if he looks NHL ready in camp. But I would be surprised if he looked more ready than Scandella, McCabe or Beaulieu who play on his side. Injuries happen and that's when I'd expect he could get and stay up with play at this level. But out of camp is going to be difficult just because there are you pros with a lot more experience in the way. Interested to see what happens in the end since the left side has 3 guys on affordable deals (once Beaulieu gets his deal). Those three guys probably start for sure. But Guhle comin.

I don't think they'll move any of them to the other side though because I don't think any of them have even done it before.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
To play Devils advocate, what happens if Guhle has yet again another highly impressive TC/pre-season? What if he is clearly one of the 6 best dmen on the roster? Is he kept up and given a few games in rotation with say Antipin or Beaulieu? Is Bogosian moved out? Or is he destined for Rochester no matter how well he plays? That's what I'm interested in seeing this upcoming season. Would be great to see him just come in and play so well that he forces Management to accommodate him.

Botts has said that if that if prospects (think he was referring mostly to the group of Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, and Guhle) really earn a spot, then they earn a spot.

I dont think that they're settled on Guhle to Rochester no matter what, but I think their expectation is that he will likely start in Rochester, and he's really going to have to knock some socks off to convince them otherwise.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

remember he isnt an NHL or CHL player--he can go to Rochester and there isnt a think of burning the first year. IF he earns a job he earns it. A tie goes to the vet.

That said they will not keep him up as a 7th or 8th Dman riding the press box. He will go to rochester because he can.

Remember Antipin also can go to rochester freely this year. He is on an ELC and is waiver exempt for 1 year or until he plays I think 60 NHL games. He had to earn a position as well.

Bogo is likely not getting moved. see how he does under Housley then decide.

I think McCabe, Risto, Scandella, Beaulieu, and Bogo are safe in the top 7.

the battle will be for 2-3 spots with the Sabres: Gorges, Fedun, Falk, Tennyson, Guhle, Antipin, and others

My guess they keep Gorges and Antipin and possibly one of Falk, Fedun, and Tennyson if they choose to go with 8 Dmen.

Antipin could sit in the pressbox a few times as he learns the NHL game.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
remember he isnt an NHL or CHL player--he can go to Rochester and there isnt a think of burning the first year. IF he earns a job he earns it. A tie goes to the vet.

That said they will not keep him up as a 7th or 8th Dman riding the press box. He will go to rochester because he can.

Remember Antipin also can go to rochester freely this year. He is on an ELC and is waiver exempt for 1 year or until he plays I think 60 NHL games. He had to earn a position as well.

Bogo is likely not getting moved. see how he does under Housley then decide.

I think McCabe, Risto, Scandella, Beaulieu, and Bogo are safe in the top 7.

the battle will be for 2-3 spots with the Sabres: Gorges, Fedun, Falk, Tennyson, Guhle, Antipin, and others

My guess they keep Gorges and Antipin and possibly one of Falk, Fedun, and Tennyson if they choose to go with 8 Dmen.

Antipin could sit in the pressbox a few times as he learns the NHL game.

Antipin is NHL or KHL...

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Let him marinate slow, he's what, 20. Let him learn the pro game and build some strength

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad