Prospect Info: Brendan Guhle (2015, 51st) – '18-19: Rochester #45 (AHL)

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
7 games left for Rochester, he should be sent there, same with Pu,Hagel,Estephan if their teams are eliminated.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
McCabe played a full year in the AHL and then a year on the 3rd pairing. He wasn't rushed despite the fact that there were no good players in his way.

Not to mention, didn't he start another year in the AHL and then called up quickly?

We may be overhyping Guhle a bit. His passing, skating and offensive ability is what this team desperately needs right now. Sure the Sabres can use a true shutdown defenseman (I'm sure there are at least 25 teams that could at least one more), but Guhle brings style they need.

If Guhle can come in next year at some point and play second or third pair minutes at a quality level that will alleviate a need.

I think every Sabres defensemen this year, except maybe Risto, has been burned on a play where they can't keep up with the opposing player. Guhle can keep up with any player in the league.

Posters should and need to be cautious pencilling in Guhle for a roster spot next year. He is most likely not the savior of this defense next year. He can be a stabilizer but likely not a savior... that is unless he can play as three defensemen simultaneously

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
McCabe played a full year in the AHL and then a year on the 3rd pairing. He wasn't rushed despite the fact that there were no good players in his way.

2014-15 was his year in the AHL.

2015-16 he played in our top 4. Among our defense, he was third in minutes total, and fourth in minutes per game, with a clear dropoff going to #5-6. That's the most objective standard I think you have for that.

That and the fact that he probably could've been considered the best LHD in the organization at the time notwithstanding TOI -- it was only Josh Gorges getting force-fed a lot of painful minutes that kept him from being a top pair player on the left side, and this was pretty evident walking into camp, even not knowing if he was more than a tweener at the time. His competition was Colaiacovo, Gorges, Weber on the left side, all of whom looked like they could pass through waivers, with Bogosian and Franson both having a bad history of playing on their off-hands.

So yeah, a guy with one year in the AHL and a cup of coffee in the NHL came into our training camp that year with a clear path to being our best LHD if he basically wasn't awful.

If we let Kulikov walk, Guhle could absolutely be penciled in as a top 4 LHD at the start of training camp, provided he outplays some trash.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Well one of Hagel or Estephan will be a little delayed.

I know, only one of them will be eliminated tonight - i'd like to see Hagel in Roch for 6 games, saw Estephan last year and he was pretty good - he'll have at least an AHL career I think.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
We may be overhyping Guhle a bit. His passing, skating and offensive ability is what this team desperately needs right now. Sure the Sabres can use a true shutdown defenseman (I'm sure there are at least 25 teams that could at least one more), but Guhle brings style they need.

What prospect does not get over hyped .....

In any case I think his offense at this point is certainly overhyped. Generally speaking his offense at the CHL ranks usually translates to 15-20 points for an NHL D man (for those with the D to support being a top 4). He was not 15 in points per game for D men just in the western league (maybe top 50 in the CHL) draft year +2. Now that could be top 4 numbers, and not everyone extrapolates the same, but until proven otherwise that is about what I expect from him, and certainly not right away.

Now these are limited viewings, but honestly, I trust the hockey people that are watching him play night in and out. He was not one of the 8 all star D men from the WHL this year (Getting beat out for the 4 positions in his conference by Ethan Bear, Noah Juulsen, Parker Wotherspoon and Juuso Valimaki not exactly names everyone knows), he was not considered for team Canada. To me that still spells "project".

It doesn't mean he is not a damn good prospect to have around, but if he never makes it into the top 4 I would not be shocked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Guhle's 3 game stint in the NHL was pretty damn good though.

There's a lot to be excited about with him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-scratch-jake-mccabe-canadiens/

In other news, Bylsma said the Sabres haven’t decided what they will do with top defense prospect Brendan Guhle, whose junior season just ended.

His Prince George Cougars had an 18-bus trip home from Portland, Bylsma said. Welcome to travel in the Western Hockey League.

“I think they’ve made it there by now,†Bylsma joked.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Even though it's not exactly how he pronounces his name, it'd be a mistake not to show a video clip of Will Ferrel every time he scores.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The team has announced that Brendan Guhle has been assigned to the Rochester Americans (AHL).

Guhle, Buffalo's second-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, combined to produce 33 points (15+18) in 47 WHL games for the Prince Albert Raiders and Prince George Cougars this season.
The Edmonton, Alberta native also added six assists in six playoff games for the Cougars.

Rochester has three games in three days this weekend, starting tonight at home against Hershey.

@SabresProspects - Sabres formally announce Brendan Guhle to Rochester. The LHD had strong second half - 13-16-29 in 32 games with Prince George. 0-6-6 in six playoff games.
Guhle played six games with the Amerks at the end of last season. He went 1-3-4 with 11 shots on goal.
Hallmark of Guhle's game is his skating. Allows him to go deep in o-zone and quickly recover. Smart use of his stick defensively. Plays the body.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Team scored on his first shift but he didn't get on the score sheet. Until a few minutes later when he scored one of his own that is.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I loved when Hamilton was complaining this morning that Murray put him in Rochester instead of Buffalo. Completely oblivious to the fact that Buffalo used all of its recalls.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I loved when Hamilton was complaining this morning that Murray put him in Rochester instead of Buffalo. Completely oblivious to the fact that Buffalo used all of its recalls.

It's G-R, they're a joke. Schopp & Hamilton ruin it.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
God, Rochester is painful to watch. This style of hockey needs to gtfo from the org.

Hopefully they see that it is systemic because of that. Same system throughout the whole organization. Talent does matter, but this system kills all of it (except Eichel, the force is strong with that one).

But Guhle should be a breath of fresh air wherever he starts next season. Young, extremely mobile, good skill set

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad