Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher: Workin' Hard for His Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Bergevin's biggest flaw is that when it comes to contracts he acts like a fan. He's a fan of Price and Gally so he overpays them. neither one of them are ever going to earn their money. Price has taken this team as far as he is able. He'll never be this close again and after last night it's apparent that they don't have 4 more wins in them. He's in his mid-30's now so his game isn't going to improve. Bergevin is paying for a depreciating asset.

Gallagher is in many ways even worse. Price may be overpaid but he's an elite goaltender and a first ballot Hall of Famer. Gallagher is a guy who has Hall of Fame "try" but the results are Joe Average. He is grossly overpaid for what he brings. His 25-30 goal seasons are a thing of the past. He can barely skate well enough to be on an NHL roster now. He deserves credit for defying the odds and having a pretty good NHL career but it's over now. The style he plays doesn't lend itself to a long career even if he had size, which he doesn't. He's probably taken years off his life if we're being honest. But giving him that kind of money at this stage of his career is moronic. Gallagher has, at best, maybe 2 more years before he's completely washed up and the 2 years it's going to take to get to that point aren't going to be fun to watch. Perry and Staal look more spry than Gallagher. Maybe those are the linemates who Gallagher should be playing with now.
You wrote some facts that seems very true. I think Gally would need the Weber-Price treatment. Rest before PO and reduce ice time from time to time. He will be 30 but in his case he should be considered like he's 36. His contract is way to high, another mistake of Bergevin who act like a fan like you say. It's not a catastrophy but a bit of an anchor. Most teams have overpaid players and most gms make mistakes, except Tampa gm Brisebois. ;)

Reactions: Laurentide

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
9 million dollar player in 2024-2025 ouch i thought it was a typo on Capfriendly lol Berg. Oh well it’s all about emotions I guess. Enjoy the cinderella run, as they say they don’t come around often.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
1. Gallagher had an extreme terrible start of the season if you remember. He got injured mid + season and cameback ready for the playoffs , it's been over 5-6 weeks now , no way hes still on that injury. Also the legs were not his injury , dude has nothing in the tank anymore. Tonight he got absolutely destroyed by Tampa Bay and was completely out of him. at 4-1 Tampa he should have went back to the bench and chill and instead he dropped his head himself on the ice...

2- Pageau plays as 3rd center against best offensive lines. His defensive skills a bit lower than Danault but better than Lekhonen and he's way better at scoring goals even on a defensive line. He was PPG in points for a while. He was signed 5m before covid also.

3. Perhaps he was 95% but the more we are playing he went back healthy we also beat Winnipeg in 4 games and he was invisible on the ice. He had enough time to heal whatever he had left of injuries. The injury card in Montreal is just a terrible way to say that when he's playing poorly means hes injured. Gallagher has been playing like that for the last 2 years and last Bubble he was god atrocious also and was injured during the last game so can't blame the injuries . He's literally playing the same as before. If he was that injured he wouldn't be playing at 1 point your body can't just keep it up. Also Gallagher being an idiot most of the time and just ramming his head first into everything makes him more vulnerable for 0 positive reason , his IQ hockey is pretty low if you ask me. It's like he's asking to be injured. If you ask me the extension of 6.5m to play him on a third line is a poor decision. It was obvious that Caufield would have been in the top 6 next season and that Anderson would play a top 6 role after a trade and sign for 7 years. Bergevin just did an awful job with Gallagher , he went emotional once again and it bites him in the ass once again. He should have waited this offseason to see what other teams offers before making a bad decision and he didnt. Now we are stuck with him for 6 years. Unless Bergevin is fired before his extension kick in and a gm trades him right off which has 0.00001% chance to happen.

1. Yes I remember, but if you look at his regular season stats, and prorate them over 82 gms. His point totals still ended up pretty much the same as they usually do. See that's the point, I don't think Gally came back "Ready". If you come back not 100%, and continue to play a physical game. You're not going to get better, you're going to get worse. As you continue to aggravate whatever injuries you have. I've already explained several times why I think he's lacking energy and winded every shift. You don't seem to agree, so let's leave it at that. Haha since when have you seen a player do that. Especially someone like Gally who is a gamer. We obviously see this differently as I seem to remember an ex Habs draft pick throwing Gally to the ice. While you saw it as Gally doing a face plant on his own. :)

2. I think you should go and take a look at Pageau's stats again.

Pageau Career: 489 gms 103 g 108A 212 pts
Gally Carrer: 582 gms 187 g 170A 357pts

Pageau Playoffs: 76gms 23g 17a 40pts
Gally Playoffs 67gms 13g 17a 30pts

In what world is Pageau so much better than Gally? Gally smokes him during the regular season, while only being out scored by 10 pts in the playoffs, while playing 9 less games. I think you've watched Pageau against the Habs too many times. When you factor in everything. If you think Gally has a bad contract, how is Pageau's so good?

3. Neither of us know how healthy he was. I'll play along though, yes lets's say he was 95% healthy for game 1 against the Jets. Again you're assuming you know exactly the injury he was suffering at the time. You're not taking into consideration that he may have re-injured himself. Injuries don't work like that. You don't get better the more you play. You usually get worse since you're not able to rest the injury. I disagree, before his injury. Gally was playing quite well, so was his line mates. Once he got hurt, the line went to shit. Coincidence? The drop off has only been there since he came back from his injury. I believe he was still hurt before game 1 of the Leaf series.Continuing to get worse as the playoffs went on. While you figure he should be better now. Again, Gally is a gamer. Right or wrong, he could be near death and if asked by the coaching staff if he wanted to sit out a game. I think we both know the answer to that. I don't think he's an idiot with a low IQ. I think he plays the game the way his abilities allow him to play. He goes to the net trying to score the dirty goals. Would you rather he play on the perimeter and float around? Caufield, Anderson and Gally are all different types of players. Each bring something to the team that the others don't. I've never once argued that Gally's contract wasn't too long, or that he's being paid too much. That's actually the one thing we do agree about. We also agree about the timing. I would have waited as well, before signing Gally.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
This line is not a offensive line anyway. Gally might be better for scoring but he doesn't skate like Danault and Lehkonen who can skate pretty fast 20 minutes a game. Gally can't skate with Suzuki, his best fit outside Danault would be with Perry, more or less 12 minutes a game. He is out of breath after 30 secs. I like him very much, a true warrior, a clutch scorer but he have his limits.

That's pretty much what I've been trying to say. Danault's line has been assigned to cover the opposing team's top lines. Anytime they score is just a nice bonus. Agreed, which is why he played well with Tatar. He didn't need to be as fast, and he didn't need to carry the puck as much as he does for this line. I agree with Suzuki, I don't think that's a good match. Due to the way he's playing now, whether it be injuries or not. Yes I agree, matching him with Staal and Perry would make for an interesting line. Even if Gally had to play on his off wing. When he's at 100%, I'd love to see him with KK, with Anderson on the LW. If he was previously always out of breath. I'd definitely be worried. As I've said though, I believe he's playing injured. So it's up to the coaching staff to see what's happening and make adjustments.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
9 million dollar player in 2024-2025 ouch i thought it was a typo on Capfriendly lol Berg. Oh well it’s all about emotions I guess. Enjoy the cinderella run, as they say they don’t come around often.
Definitely not for this franchise. We're going to end up losing youngsters for contracts like Josh Anderson lol

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That's pretty much what I've been trying to say. Danault's line has been assigned to cover the opposing team's top lines. Anytime they score is just a nice bonus. Agreed, which is why he played well with Tatar. He didn't need to be as fast, and he didn't need to carry the puck as much as he does for this line. I agree with Suzuki, I don't think that's a good match. Due to the way he's playing now, whether it be injuries or not. Yes I agree, matching him with Staal and Perry would make for an interesting line. Even if Gally had to play on his off wing. When he's at 100%, I'd love to see him with KK, with Anderson on the LW. If he was previously always out of breath. I'd definitely be worried. As I've said though, I believe he's playing injured. So it's up to the coaching staff to see what's happening and make adjustments.
I agree. I think he's playing injured right now. Not his legs but something else slow him down with his stamina and speed. His shooting is weaker because of his recent hand injury. I don't like the hate bandwagon (on any player) and don't count on me to be a part of it.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I agree. I think he's playing injured right now. Not his legs but something else slow him down with his stamina and speed. His shooting is weaker because of his recent hand injury. I don't like the hate bandwagon (on any player) and don't count on me to be a part of it.

I've seen plays where I'll see him go flying down the wing. I'll have to look twice to make sure it's Gally. So I agree, I don't think he's suffering a leg injury. But yes, there's no doubt in my mind that he's playing hurt. Again I agree, Gally plays a lot. I don't remember him ever hanging his head, gasping for air, while he's sitting on the bench. He's usually busy yapping off to the refs or the other team. I'm not a big fan of it either, but this is a message board. You learn to expect it from time to time. What really gets me is when it gets personal. That I don't like seeing at all.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
This guy wouldnt get over 5.25 million if we didnt extend him. Big whoop, he gets under peoples skin, hows that worth 6.5? He cant score for shit in the playoffs.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
He may be hurt, he may be in a defensive role, but it doesn’t change the fact that he makes the dumbest plays and doesn’t seem to use his brain often. That turnover at the blue line trying to centre it to no one leading to a goal on the other end being pretty indicative of that. The easy play is to put it down deep against the Lightning. Just regular dumb plays by him.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Bergevin's biggest flaw is that when it comes to contracts he acts like a fan. He's a fan of Price and Gally so he overpays them. neither one of them are ever going to earn their money. Price has taken this team as far as he is able. He'll never be this close again and after last night it's apparent that they don't have 4 more wins in them. He's in his mid-30's now so his game isn't going to improve. Bergevin is paying for a depreciating asset.

Gallagher is in many ways even worse. Price may be overpaid but he's an elite goaltender and a first ballot Hall of Famer. Gallagher is a guy who has Hall of Fame "try" but the results are Joe Average. He is grossly overpaid for what he brings. His 25-30 goal seasons are a thing of the past. He can barely skate well enough to be on an NHL roster now. He deserves credit for defying the odds and having a pretty good NHL career but it's over now. The style he plays doesn't lend itself to a long career even if he had size, which he doesn't. He's probably taken years off his life if we're being honest. But giving him that kind of money at this stage of his career is moronic. Gallagher has, at best, maybe 2 more years before he's completely washed up and the 2 years it's going to take to get to that point aren't going to be fun to watch. Perry and Staal look more spry than Gallagher. Maybe those are the linemates who Gallagher should be playing with now.

The problem with this type of criticism is you're using the benefit of hindsight. Price could have easily maintained his form considering at the time he was winning awards no goalie had in a decade. Furthermore, could you imagine the backlash if Bergevin allowed Price to walk for literally nothing. People often forget it takes two to negotiate. With the sheer number of accolades Price accumulated by that point, he knew damn well his worth and if Montreal wasn't giving it to him several other teams would. And we'd be a basement dweller without him.

Gallagher is a bit different, though parts of the same argument apply. He shouldn't have gotten as lengthily a term but considering how absolutely beloved he is within the organization. He's someone you don't want to trade. Vancouver is a prime example of why locker room morale matters. Not to mention, you'll have difficulty attracting players if you refuse to reward their past efforts. Gallagher, much like Price, could have easily got his current contract in free agency. We also don't have an easy time getting players to sign here. Discouraging them certainly won't help. That isn't to say Gallagher's contract is necessarily good. I think it's more... average. He didn't take any discounts but he's been a warrior for this team.

Last edited:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
This guy wouldnt get over 5.25 million if we didnt extend him. Big whoop, he gets under peoples skin, hows that worth 6.5? He cant score for shit in the playoffs.

Pre-covid, put him on the UFA market and see what happens. As I said before, I agree Gally is over paid. I'll say by 1 yr, 1 mil per season. Regardless of what you may think of him. Gally would get paid.

Reactions: Edgy

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
He's having terrible playoffs. He just can't win a battle clean. Like, EVER. Everytime he gets a small edge in a one-on-one battle or gets out with the puck on his stick, he's easily countered right after by the guy he just beat. The other times he's just being knocked off the puck easily. He rarely gets opportunities in the blue paint anymore.

People have been overlooking his bad performances all playoffs long because we're in a cinderella run. But let's be honest for a second. He's one of the guys who has to step up and give more to the team if we want to win it all. Especially since he's not contributing much of anything if he's not winning battles and scoring. He's not a good defensive player. He's not wearing his opponents down. He's not making plays for his linemates. He's just filling a sweater. Oh and he bleeds. Going after a guy 1 foot taller than him after the whistle. Real clever.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Definitely not for the this franchise. We're going to end up losing youngsters for contracts like Josh Anderson lol

Do you seriously think we loose Suzuki, Caufield, KK, Romanov cause Anderson makes $5.5M? I bet you also think that Suzuki gets a 8 year deal at $9M when so many guys have been bridged lately.

Weber, Byron, Edmundson, Allen, will all be off the payroll once you have to pay the kids. And that comes at a time when the NHLPA pays off their outstanding balance to the owners too. Did you know that the cap was projected to be $86M - $88M range before Covid came? The next 3 years will be tight but then the flood gates will be opened up.

Timing is everything. Agents and GM's will focus on this.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He may be hurt, he may be in a defensive role, but it doesn’t change the fact that he makes the dumbest plays and doesn’t seem to use his brain often. That turnover at the blue line trying to centre it to no one leading to a goal on the other end being pretty indicative of that. The easy play is to put it down deep against the Lightning. Just regular dumb plays by him.

That is not the norm for Gally. If I had the time, I could cherry pick turnover plays for all our top players. Does it mean they have low hockey IQ's. No it means they're human, and that they make mistakes. If you want to complain that Gally takes a lot of low percentage shots. That I will agree with you. Saying that he makes the dumbest plays and doesn't use his brain is maybe a little dramatic.

Reactions: Edgy

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
He works hard. Gives his 110%. Goes to the net. He plays like a fighter... On the other side of the ledger, he doesn’t have a shot anymore and has lost a step.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He's having terrible playoffs. He just can't win a battle clean. Like, EVER. Everytime he gets a small edge in a one-on-one battle or gets out with the puck on his stick, he's easily countered right after by the guy he just beat. The other times he's just being knocked off the puck easily. He rarely gets opportunities in the blue paint anymore.

People have been overlooking his bad performances all playoffs long because we're in a cinderella run. But let's be honest for a second. He's one of the guys who has to step up and give more to the team if we want to win it all. Especially since he's not contributing much of anything if he's not winning battles and scoring. He's not a good defensive player. He's not wearing his opponents down. He's not making plays for his linemates. He's just filling a sweater. Oh and he bleeds. Going after a guy 1 foot taller than him after the whistle. Real clever.

I don't know how much time you spend reading the GDT's. It's been a hot top throughout the playoffs. From "what's wrong with Gally?" All the way to "he's done, and should retire". At this point IMO, there is something physically wrong with Gally. I just don't think his play has dropped off as much as it has for no reason.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He works hard. Gives his 110%. Goes to the net. He plays like a fighter... On the other side of the ledger, he doesn’t have a shot anymore and has lost a step.

Wasn't this the same narrative back a few years ago when he had his wrist issues? I think Gallagher rebounds but will have difficulty reaching 30 goals again and will be a target by some of our fans cause he is about $1M overpaid

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Pre-covid, put him on the UFA market and see what happens. As I said before, I agree Gally is over paid. I'll say by 1 yr, 1 mil per season. Regardless of what you may think of him. Gally would get paid.
I am less concerned with the money as I am with the term. Bergevin should have been able to see that Gally doesn't have 6 good years left in his body. He may not have 2 more. He is too small to play the style he plays but not talented enough to play any other way.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The problem with this type of criticism is you're using the benefit of hindsight. Price could have easily maintained his form considering at the time he was winning awards no goalie had in a decade. Furthermore, could you imagine the backlash if Bergevin allowed Price to walk for literally nothing. People often forget it takes two to negotiate. With the sheer number of accolades Price accumulated by that point, he knew damn well his worth and if Montreal wasn't giving it to him several other teams would. And we'd be a basement dweller without him.

Gallagher is a bit different, though parts of the same argument apply. He shouldn't have gotten as lengthily a term but considering how absolutely beloved he is within the organization. He's someone you don't want to trade. Vancouver is a prime example of why locker room morale matters. Not to mention, you'll have difficulty attracting players if you refuse to reward their past efforts. Gallagher, much like Price, could have easily got his current contract in free agency. We also don't have an easy time getting players to sign here. Discouraging them certainly won't help. That isn't to say Gallagher's contract is necessarily good. I think it's more... average. He didn't take any discounts but he's been a warrior for this team.
I don't know of any team that would give any goalie $10.5 million per. It's not how teams are built anymore. Only the Habs continue trying to win the 1995 Stanley Cup with big slow defensemen and a goalie. They're getting away with it to an extent in these playoffs because the Hudson Bay rules are in effect. But a team built this way doesn't even make the playoffs half the time. Even so, the Price contract should have been structured to either pay him big money for a short term or less money for a longer term, not max money at max term.

Gallagher - same story. You want to reward him for past performance, fine. But don't sign him for 6 years because his body doesn't have 6 more years left.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Wasn't this the same narrative back a few years ago when he had his wrist issues? I think Gallagher rebounds but will have difficulty reaching 30 goals again and will be a target by some of our fans cause he is about $1M overpaid

He’s either injured or physically used up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He’s either injured or physically used up.

Nah, it's just the playoffs and things are very tight and Gallagher don't skate that well. Gallagher will be fine. Overpaid by about $1M but he will be fine. He's proven to rebound over and over again he trains very hard in the off season.

He has more heart than 75% of all NHL players. That's not going to change and the energy he brings every shift helps our team IMO.

There were similar comments made a few years back that you see today.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I am less concerned with the money as I am with the term. Bergevin should have been able to see that Gally doesn't have 6 good years left in his body. He may not have 2 more. He is too small to play the style he plays but not talented enough to play any other way.

Agreed, if I had to choose between salary and term. Term is the one that concerns me more. In fairness though, most multi-year contracts signed by a player in their late 20's, don't end up well. This was the time for Gally to get paid though. I can't see his agent accepting say a 3 yr contact. Which would have been ideal, but probably not realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad