Player Discussion Brendan Gallagher: Workin' Hard for His Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Pre-covid, put him on the UFA market and see what happens. As I said before, I agree Gally is over paid. I'll say by 1 yr, 1 mil per season. Regardless of what you may think of him. Gally would get paid.
He produces like a 3rd liner in the playoffs and plays like a 4th liner. People use Atkinson as a comparable to Gally, but Atkinson doesn't fall off a cliff in the playoffs.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Do you seriously think we loose Suzuki, Caufield, KK, Romanov cause Anderson makes $5.5M? I bet you also think that Suzuki gets a 8 year deal at $9M when so many guys have been bridged lately.

Weber, Byron, Edmundson, Allen, will all be off the payroll once you have to pay the kids. And that comes at a time when the NHLPA pays off their outstanding balance to the owners too. Did you know that the cap was projected to be $86M - $88M range before Covid came? The next 3 years will be tight but then the flood gates will be opened up.

Timing is everything. Agents and GM's will focus on this.
It's not that Anderson makes 5.5M. It's that Bergevin is horseshit at contracts.

I can't imagine what he would pay for an actual star. Oh that's right, he won't. He'll let them walk... hi Radulov. He wouldn't pay Radulov close to the same money as Josh Anderson. :laugh:

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not that Anderson makes 5.5M. It's that Bergevin is horseshit at contracts.

I don't like exaggeration and words like horseshit to use as evidence. I'd like to see your job posting for the qualifications for the new GM? Probably looking for god!

- No bad trades allowed
- All contracts are value contracts
- No draft busts allowed
- Need to be a contender after 5 years

Retaining talent is a challenge for many teams. And those who think taxes are not an issue, think again. Trends speak for themselves. And also consider the fan tax? Like when a guy like Anderson goes through a slump, Habs fans throw him under the bus cause he's making $5.5M and Bergevin is the GM. Some here think the comments towards Drouin is perfectly fine and no other player in the NHL cares about that. They want to sign here all the time eh? :sarcasm:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He produces like a 3rd liner in the playoffs and plays like a 4th liner. People use Atkinson as a comparable to Gally, but Atkinson doesn't fall off a cliff in the playoffs.

True, Gally's playoff stats drop off from his regular season stats, I'm not going to argue facts. Atkinson is a good player, always been a fan. His line doesn't have the defensive responsibility that Gally's does. Also Atkinson seems to play with the CBJ's best offensive players. A privilege that Gally doesn't get with the Habs.

Reactions: Edgy

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't like exaggeration and words like horseshit to use as evidence. I'd like to see your job posting for the qualifications for the new GM? Probably looking for god!

- No bad trades allowed
- All contracts are value contracts
- No draft busts allowed
- Need to be a contender after 5 years

Retaining talent is a challenge for many teams. And those who think taxes are not an issue, think again. Trends speak for themselves. And also consider the fan tax? Like when a guy like Anderson goes through a slump, Habs fans throw him under the bus cause he's making $5.5M and Bergevin is the GM. Some here think the comments towards Drouin is perfectly fine and no other player in the NHL cares about that. They want to sign here all the time eh? :sarcasm:
Didn't finish reading after your first line.

Reactions: cphabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh, my bad.

No worries. Just a point that Tampa won't get pushed over. Don't know if you watched the other series but it was very rough. Trotz had the Islanders in their face and Tampa probably got annoyed with it. Tampa is not so soft like they were years ago

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I don't know of any team that would give any goalie $10.5 million per. It's not how teams are built anymore. Only the Habs continue trying to win the 1995 Stanley Cup with big slow defensemen and a goalie. They're getting away with it to an extent in these playoffs because the Hudson Bay rules are in effect. But a team built this way doesn't even make the playoffs half the time. Even so, the Price contract should have been structured to either pay him big money for a short term or less money for a longer term, not max money at max term.

Gallagher - same story. You want to reward him for past performance, fine. But don't sign him for 6 years because his body doesn't have 6 more years left.

No other goalie was putting up the numbers Price did. The last goalie to win the Hart was Theodore, thirteen years prior. There is absolutely no doubt Price gets his contract elsewhere. New York paid Lundqvist just a million less and Vasilevskiy currently makes that now. You also have to factor in Montreal has a significantly higher tax rate. We have to overpay to match what other teams can offer. Whose to say Bergevin didn't try to structure a contract around those parameters? It's in his best interest to convince Price to sign for less. However, Price has to be willing to budge off 10M and term. If he isn't, well... you're suddenly faced with two options: give him the contract he wants or watch him walk for absolutely nothing.

Gallagher is essentially the same thing except he doesn't have quite the pedigree to stand on. He's someone we could have moved on from, though it would have looked essentially bad at the time considering how good Gallagher was when he got that contract. Relatively speaking, of course.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don't know of any team that would give any goalie $10.5 million per. It's not how teams are built anymore. Only the Habs continue trying to win the 1995 Stanley Cup with big slow defensemen and a goalie. They're getting away with it to an extent in these playoffs because the Hudson Bay rules are in effect. But a team built this way doesn't even make the playoffs half the time. Even so, the Price contract should have been structured to either pay him big money for a short term or less money for a longer term, not max money at max term.

Gallagher - same story. You want to reward him for past performance, fine. But don't sign him for 6 years because his body doesn't have 6 more years left.
Both Vasilevsky & Bobrovsky make more when adjusted for no Florida state tax, let alone Quebec taxation

Reactions: aresknights

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly, they should look to deal him while there's still a chance for a good return. But I know they wont and they'll end up paying for it. Unless Bergevin doesn't return of course. I could see a new gm doing it.
This is why Bergevin needs to "retire" or get pushed out due to bad publicity in Chicago. He doesn't have the guts or desire to cut bait with Price, Weber or Gallagher. But a new GM wouldn't be beholden to them and could just break out the brooms.

We should all be happy that we got this fluke playoff run because in reality we are nowhere near good enough to warrant being here and we won't be back here for probably another 3 decades if Bergevin hangs around much longer. We need to do a proper rebuild around KK, Caufield, Suzuki and Romanov. All these over 30 guys who are helping the team win just enough to avoid getting a decent lottery pick need to go.

PuckTheNet

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
This is why Bergevin needs to "retire" or get pushed out due to bad publicity in Chicago. He doesn't have the guts or desire to cut bait with Price, Weber or Gallagher. But a new GM wouldn't be beholden to them and could just break out the brooms.

We should all be happy that we got this fluke playoff run because in reality we are nowhere near good enough to warrant being here and we won't be back here for probably another 3 decades if Bergevin hangs around much longer. We need to do a proper rebuild around KK, Caufield, Suzuki and Romanov. All these over 30 guys who are helping the team win just enough to avoid getting a decent lottery pick need to go.

I need to wash my eyes. This after game 1 of the SCF

Reactions: Be a Hab

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Reading this thread makes me wonder if people understand the difference in playing a shutdown role in the playoffs vs an offensive role in the regular season.

Gallagher's line effectively shut down 3 teams' top lines, they held them nearly scoreless and relied on our other lines to generate offense. The takeaway from Staal having more points than Gallagher in the playoffs tells me the 3 teams we played had no answer to our 4th line which allowed us to capitalize on their offensive output. Not that Staal is better offensively than Gallagher right now.

Pietrangelo outscored Pacioretty, Stone, Marchesseault, Karlsson and Stephenson in the series vs Montreal. Does that make them less valuable to Vegas?

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Reading this thread makes me wonder if people understand the difference in playing a shutdown role in the playoffs vs an offensive role in the regular season.

Gallagher's line effectively shut down 3 teams' top lines, they held them nearly scoreless and relied on our other lines to generate offense. The takeaway from Staal having more points than Gallagher in the playoffs tells me the 3 teams we played had no answer to our 4th line which allowed us to capitalize on their offensive output. Not that Staal is better offensively than Gallagher right now.

Pietrangelo outscored Pacioretty, Stone, Marchesseault, Karlsson and Stephenson in the series vs Montreal. Does that make them less valuable to Vegas?

I understand your point however being a shutdown guy is great only if you can contribute to the scoring too. Otherwise the other team is simply sending their best players on the ice all the time with no worries of being scored at, because our best players are on the bench watching our great shutdown guys doing nothing offensively. Danault Gally may be great defensively but the play turns dead as soon as they get the puck. Meanwhile Suzuki, KK and caufield are taking a break on the bench.

I would put Armia with Danault.

Reactions: Compile

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I understand your point however being a shutdown guy is great only if you can contribute to the scoring too. Otherwise the other team is simply sending their best players on the ice all the time with no worries of being scored at, because our best players are on the bench watching our great shutdown guys doing nothing offensively. Danault Gally may be great defensively but the play turns dead as soon as they get the puck. Meanwhile Suzuki, KK and caufield are taking a break on the bench.

I would put Armia with Danault.

Seems to have worked great in 3 upsets in these POs.
Them not scoring n having other teams best lines not worrying about being scored on.
N Zuk/KK/ Caufeild et al scored enough to win while taking a break on the bench watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad