GDT: Break-Up Day

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
When you refuse to consistently go to the tough areas of the ice where you can generate high danger scoring chances, yes, you lack a backbone.
They play a style that relies on cross ice passes and perimeter play. It's a style issue. Saying NHL players who block shots, crash into the boards with opponents, take hits, cuts, sticks and keep playing "have no backbone" is stupid. You'd piss your pants if you had to take on any of those guys.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Day 3 and I'm already worn out. So I'm mainly going to post irreverently for comic relief (my way of letting off steam). Be warned.

The Rangers took the ice, their spirits were low,
The Devils had won, dealt a crushing blow,
Gerard Gallant, their coach, had to go,
A new leader was needed, to make them glow.

Sun Tzu, the great strategist of war,
Was chosen to guide them, to even the score,
His teachings would help them, to help them roar,
And rise up again, to win even more.

With Sun Tzu's dictums in their mind,
The Rangers hit the ice, leaving their fears behind,
Their game was on fire, their spirit unconfined,
As they fought tooth and nail, leaving the opponent blind.

Brett Howden, the new trade, was a force to behold,
Leading the league in scoring, his skill a sight to unfold,
With him on their side, the Rangers were bold,
Their opponents knew it, their fate was foretold.

In the playoffs, they fought with all their might,
Each game a battle, each win a glorious sight,
Howden was unstoppable, a pure delight,
As he led them to the Cup, shining so bright.

The Conn Smythe was his, and he raised it high,
The Rangers had won, they reached for the sky,
With Sun Tzu's teachings, they had learned to fly,
The Stanley Cup champions, until the day they die.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Honestly, it feels like any conversation other than “how do we get rid of Panarin” is pointless.

The team will not win the Cup with his salary on the books and him and his play style getting lots of minutes in the playoffs. He’s not going to revert back to 2020 form. His tricks aren’t going to start working all of a sudden.

Trouba is the next problem, but his warts are far less impactful than Panarin’s. He isn’t worth his contract, but he’s not actively hurting the team while he’s on the ice and actually does do a few things that are very helpful.

I believe we can win with Trouba on the roster. I don’t believe we can win with Panarin on the roster.

How do we get rid of Panarin? If we don’t, we’re going to flounder for three more seasons and the start over. I’d rather not wait that long.

I want to hear from Drury. I assume he is waiting to make a decision on Gallant before he talks but I think Panarin & this core could use some public humiliation from the front office after this debacle. Too much nice guy shit with the Rangers.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

I'm going to have this etched in glass, then put on a wall.

• Haha
Reactions: Filip Chytil
Jan 8, 2012
NY
I want to hear from Drury. I assume he is waiting to make a decision on Gallant before he talks but I think Panarin & this core could use some public humiliation from the front office after this debacle. Too much nice guy shit with the Rangers.
'We played a perfect first 2 games'
'Oh we just lost to a better team'
'One bad week'

What bullshit we have been hearing this week. This was a disaster. Igor was really the only reason we weren't bounced in 5.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
They play a style that relies on cross ice passes and perimeter play. It's a style issue. Saying NHL players who block shots, crash into the boards with opponents, take hits, cuts, sticks and keep playing "have no backbone" is stupid. You'd piss your pants if you had to take on any of those guys.

It's a soft style to play and easy to defend against.

If you know there is more success in those tougher areas and still refuse to go there, you have no backbone and blaming the system won't change it.

And LOL at the rest of your post.

Reactions: mas0764

AK 27

I shoot puck. Puck go in net. I score goal.
Apr 15, 2015
NYC
'One bad week'

What bullshit we have been hearing this week. This was a disaster. Igor was really the only reason we weren't bounced in 5.
We live in a world where hearing the truth in a public forum is a rarity. Whether that's at work or from your team's head coach or GM. No one truly tells it like it is so words from 95% of the people involved in this debacle are utterly useless. So are post game press conferences. So are in between period interviews. So are in game coaching interviews. They're all useless. It's a dog & pony show.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
And what have they achieved with this style...

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
And what have they achieved with this style...
That wasn't the point. The style failed. They didn't/couldn't adapt. My complaint is with fans throwing out bullshit like "no backbone". I suppose Boston and Tampa have "no backbone". It's a garbage fan way to criticize players who don't win to their satisfaction. The same guys who came back often and went to the ECF last year all suddenly have "no backbone". Be more original.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
'One bad week'

We should have been bounced in 5. This series was not an upset. Rangers aren't as good as the Devils. They were better than a lot of other teams but 500% not NJD.
Sometimes the playoffs are about match ups, and good teams bow out early, this series was not one of those. Still went to 7.
But, Rangers could have beaten, in my opinion, TBL, or Carolina, or most of the West, etc.
The problem is that improving and building a team out of this husk that can beat NJD in a playoff series is kind of impossible. They will be the death of this team in the playoffs every year. Literally cannot change that unless the team either goes through a complete rebuild again (thus not making the playoffs to face them at all for the next 6 or 7 years) or they manage to trade everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, except for Fox and Igor.

Igor should not be resigned though. Goalies are pointless to actually winning games if you can't skate or pass the puck.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA

...Are you auditioning to replace guitar guy on next year's MSG Rangers ads?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Igor should not be resigned though. Goalies are pointless to actually winning games if you can't skate or pass the puck.

Team have won cups with mediocre goalies. Because they had depth and were able to skate with their opponents. It’s nice having a Vezina-caliber goalie but it’s not necessary.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Is there a video of this Trocheck thing? Can't believe a guy who has been here one year is already laughing in the coach's face. These assholes need a drill sergeant in the worst way.
It was on the MSG feed right after he made the Trochek Panarin Kane line. Trocheck had a turnover at the blue line and Gallant was yelling at him on the bench. Trocheck had the look of "Are you kidding me? Panarin turns it over every shift".

They were together in Florida so I wouldn't look into it too much. Gallant prolly only feels comfortable yelling at him

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Team have won cups with mediocre goalies. Because they had depth and were able to skate with their opponents. It’s nice having a Vezina-caliber goalie but it’s not necessary.
We have Benoit Allaire as long as we keep feeding him stem cell IVs to maintain his immortality he will keep turning the Valiquettes of the league into starting goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad