Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Got good one in that trade for sure. Loved the way the kid was playing here and surprised he asked for a trade.

He had a very good first period today and without a doubt the Bulldogs need Dmen.

I just don't understand the timing.

Reactions: bobber

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Your owner wanted his prospect to continue / ramp up his development.

I thought this myself. It's a very valid point.

I hope that nobody thinks that I'm insulting his abilities. He helps the Bulldogs greatly right now.

Hard to believe that he only has 3 pts with the way he has been jumping into the rush today.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I thought this myself. It's a very valid point.

I hope that nobody thinks that I'm insulting his abilities. He helps the Bulldogs greatly right now.

Hard to believe that he only has 3 pts with the way he has been jumping into the rush today.
He wasn’t getting the offensive minutes. He had guys ahead of him in that pecking order. Good to see him get the opportunity. You won’t be disappointed.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
He wasn’t getting the offensive minutes. He had guys ahead of him in that pecking order. Good to see him get the opportunity. You won’t be disappointed.

Ya, playing on the first pairing he will have an opportunity to shine.

He had a VERY strong game yesterday.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Just when things were looking up a bit for the Bulldogs defense, Jorian Donovan left the game in the 1st period today.

I didn't see what happened to him, but if he misses much time it would be a big loss.

Also, can somebody please tell the Petes announcers that Arber Xhekaj plays in the NHL and not for the Bulldogs.

Reactions: Zebra

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Spending $280 million on a Hamilton arena is all about looking to the future

Seems like Tim Leiweke and OVG sees FirstOntario Centre as an alternative/addition for Toronto-area major concerts first, and sports second. Or maybe he sees them both equally and I read through this a bit pessimistically with potential concerts being listed before sports. There's an interesting piece of information later in the article that goes as follows:

As for sports, he says he'll soon be sitting down with Bulldogs' owner Michael Andlauer to discuss the team's future in the building. The new boss of the Ottawa Senators has been clear over the years that he hasn't been happy with the way he's been treated by those running the place.

Whether his franchise returns or not, Leiweke vowed to find a team for the rink.

"We will be devoted and dedicated to bring a hockey team back to Hamilton, whether that be the Ontario Hockey League, junior hockey or an American Hockey League team," he says. "And we are prepared to put our money where our mouth is."

It seems like Leiweke is willing to work with Andlauer here, while also having a backup plan incase Andlauer is content with Brantford. I just don't know who would be a frontrunner in the OHL right now to potentially be swayed to move into the newly-renovated arena, should that happen. I also don't know what NHL team would be willing to move their AHL affiliate here, again if that happens. I think @Hammer9001 or somebody else mentioned before that maybe the Marlies would move here, but I don't know about that. I also think you have to wonder if having a newly-renovated arena is going to help its tenants increase their average attendances across the board consistently, or if there's only going to be a positive spike in the first few years before dropping back down, or if it won't solve anything.

Anyway I just thought I'd link this here and maybe provoke a discussion. I understand this thread is titled as "Brantford" now so I don't want to potentially derail conversations related to what's happening on the ice into the dreaded arena situation, but I thought I'd send it nonetheless.
I didn't say would, like it was a guarantee but it is a very large suspicion on my part. From my understanding the developers actively sought out Lewike who as MLSE's former director, likely still have contacts within the organization.

Combined with the fact that you are almost certainly going to getting far more bang for your buck out of a newly renovated facility in Hamilton then out of the CocaCola Center? (Ricoh), which given the cost of everything in Toronto is likely a very costly to keep running.

You also have ample room to grow attendance in a market that is already effectively Leafs territory but is still a completely reasonable 2 hour drive/GO Train ride for a call-up, and in a locale who AHL players on a budget will likely find housing for far cheaper.

That Lewike has a controlling interest in the Kraken's AHL team does change this somewhat. He has direct control in that regard. That said, I think it's a recipe for disaster if you opt to put the Kraken's farm team in Hamilton both on and off the ice.

Most NHL teams don't want a flight delay on calling up a player, it's why the AHL moved so many teams to California, and I think only 5 NHL teams don't have their affiliate close by. A Kraken callup would need to fly across the country, and not even out of Hamilton to make that flight.

On the ice, well we've seen AHL teams struggle in Hamilton before. The best shot was the AHL Bulldogs, who while being a middle of the pack team in terms of attendance, wasn't ever in the top running due to the Habs affiliation, and that's with one of the best owners around in Andlauer. The Habs are a mixed bag in Leafs territory, I get that, but I don't know a single Kraken fan in Hamilton.

Honestly, your best bet if Andlauer stays in Brantford, and you can't get the Marlies, is begging him to let them put an OHL team back in the Hammer (as I believe he will still hold onto the territorial rights) and moving the Steelheads (Not that I want anyone to lose their team, but Steelheads attendance has been atrocious for years, if any team was going to move it would be them) or getting an expansion team in a perfect world.

Last edited:

Babs716

Sep 22, 2023
Gutted for Testa. Kid can't stay healthy.
Same. I hope it looked worse than it is. But not confident that’ll be the case, at all.

Big divisional weekend coming up for the boys with their road trip to Ottawa/Kingston.

Attachments

• IMG_6033.jpeg
    IMG_6033.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 5

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Didn't see the game, what happened?
Testa drove to the Sarnia net with speed and the puck on his stick while a Sting player was a step behind and grabbed onto him, causing him to slam hard into the boards. Both trainers came out to assist him. He skated off with assistance and no weight on one leg.

I wasn’t a fan of the blatant hold because it was clear it could have an ugly outcome. Part of me would have been okay with Roberts waiting for the guy to come out of the penalty box, yet I’m also glad that the Bulldogs stayed disciplined and won the game. But that Sting player got off easy.

Reactions: Rounder8

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I'm starting to really like the forward group on this team (if Testa isn't hurt long term).

The success of Testa has really given them depth.

If they add some help on D all of a sudden they are a pretty solid team.

The addition of Hamara has already helped them.

The big thing is that if this team wants to make a push up the standings, their PP needs to be much better. It's far to predictable.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I wonder what kept Lardis out? From the Bulldogs’ post-game article, it sounds like it was a game time decision.

Nice to earn another win.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I didn't say would, like it was a guarantee but it is a very large suspicion on my part. From my understanding the developers actively sought out Lewike who as MLSE's former director, likely still have contacts within the organization.

Combined with the fact that you are almost certainly going to getting far more bang for your buck out of a newly renovated facility in Hamilton then out of the CocaCola Center? (Ricoh), which given the cost of everything in Toronto is likely a very costly to keep running.

You also have ample room to grow attendance in a market that is already effectively Leafs territory but is still a completely reasonable 2 hour drive/GO Train ride for a call-up, and in a locale who AHL players on a budget will likely find housing for far cheaper.

That Lewike has a controlling interest in the Kraken's AHL team does change this somewhat. He has direct control in that regard. That said, I think it's a recipe for disaster if you opt to put the Kraken's farm team in Hamilton both on and off the ice.

Most NHL teams don't want a flight delay on calling up a player, it's why the AHL moved so many teams to California, and I think only 5 NHL teams don't have their affiliate close by. A Kraken callup would need to fly across the country, and not even out of Hamilton to make that flight.

On the ice, well we've seen AHL teams struggle in Hamilton before. The best shot was the AHL Bulldogs, who while being a middle of the pack team in terms of attendance, wasn't ever in the top running due to the Habs affiliation, and that's with one of the best owners around in Andlauer. The Habs are a mixed bag in Leafs territory, I get that, but I don't know a single Kraken fan in Hamilton.

Honestly, your best bet if Andlauer stays in Brantford, and you can't get the Marlies, is begging him to let them put an OHL team back in the Hammer (as I believe he will still hold onto the territorial rights) and moving the Steelheads (Not that I want anyone to lose their team, but Steelheads attendance has been atrocious for years, if any team was going to move it would be them) or getting an expansion team in a perfect world.

Seattle just put their AHL team in a brand new arena in Thousand Palms (Coachella Valley) California that Leiweke’s company built and owns, so they aren’t moving anywhere. One of the top teams in AHL attendance too.

It’s in Southern California, near Palm Springs, so it’s not amazingly convenient but the travel time’s good for a Western team.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
An ugly win, but still a win.

I was sitting next to Luca Testa and he didn't have a walking boot on and wasn't really walking with a limp. Hopefully he'll be back before too long.

Reactions: Canadian Game

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021

I was sitting next to Luca Testa and he didn't have a walking boot on and wasn't really walking with a limp. Hopefully he'll be back before too long.
Has it been confirmed it was an ankle? I have not seen a thing and was worried it was knee or hip.

With the craziness of junior hockey, beating a team 20 straight times is crazy.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Has it been confirmed it was an ankle? I have not seen a thing and was worried it was knee or hip.

With the craziness of junior hockey, beating a team 20 straight times is crazy.

You're right, I thought it was an ankle, but maybe it is a hip or knee. He didn't seem to be in much discomfort though. Although being able to walk around and being ready to play are two very different things.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

I asked him when he was heading down to the locker room post game. He is dealing with a high ankle sprain.

Reactions: Rounder8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad