Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I completely agree with your post.

Vanacker has looked really good so far, so hopefully he keeps it up. He has been exciting to watch so far.

I almost bought the CHL pass last night but couldn’t get the laptop to cast to the tv, which I’d like to fix if I’m buying the pass. I also didn’t see on the CHL site, but I believe you can rewatch past games from the season with the pass?

You can watch replays, but I'm not how sure back they go?

Reactions: Canadian Game

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
So methinks this all but seals the deal about the team staying in Brantford I'd say.

Such a shame, all because our last council didn't see value in a smaller arena and wants to pour money into a white elephant to try to attract a couple big events a year and compete with the Toronto. It is what it is I suppose.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
On the positive note, went to see the boys play in the Soo. Nice arena, it's like an older version of the Meridian Center. That's the vibe I got from it, good to see O'Brien score his first.
I've told this story about the Soo before, but the 1 time I went to see the Bulldogs there it was during the 17-18 season and they lost 10-0.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
So methinks this all but seals the deal about the team staying in Brantford I'd say.

Such a shame, all because our last council didn't see value in a smaller arena and wants to pour money into a white elephant to try to attract a couple big events a year and compete with the Toronto. It is what it is I suppose.
The city isn't putting any money into these renovations. This has been made very clear. Andlauer's proposal required $126M of taxpayer money, at the very least, for a building that would be controlled by Andlauer's group built on land owned by Cadillac Fairview.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
The city isn't putting any money into these renovations. This has been made very clear. Andlauer's proposal required $126M of taxpayer money, at the very least, for a building that would be controlled by Andlauer's group built on land owned by Cadillac Fairview.
So I believe this is inaccurate.

Part of the deal would have see Cadillac Fairview sell the land to the city for $1 in return for building a parking plaza which was part of the $126M number, of which Andlauer was willing to front $30. We would have gotten an arena of appropriate size and Fairview outright said, they would use this as a catalyst for a hotel and convention destination at Limeridge, which is really an ideal location for it.

Now instead, that $30M is going to go to Brantford who are looking to build an appropriately sized arena and are already seeing some of that money in upgrades and new lease, while we are effectively giving away First Ontario to the Mercanti's to turn the facility into a concert venue (which they admit concerts will be their "anchor tenant" which is a joke given how hard it is to draw concerts from Toronto) in an oversized arena the currently only opens the upper bowl for 13 of 98 events it holds a year, and their latest renderings show basically next to no work being done on the outsides apart from a coat of paint and some ad boards.

It's a complete joke, that our previous council allowed this debacle to occur. First Ontario is a white elephant, simply being too large an arena for anything but an NHL team, which Buffalo and Toronto will never let happen.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Anyone check out the resell market for tickets tonight? A demand for Bulldogs tickets, what a world.

I was just going to eat the cost of my unused seat tonight so I had space beside me. May sell it now. Anyone looking?

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for the photos. I am looking forward to seeing the renovations in person when I have some time to get down to Brantford.

Those speakers look huge. How was the sound at the arena?

Also they keep saying the arena has no HVAC system but it will be installed in the spring. So what does the arena have for heat? Radiant heaters?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jawk

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Thanks for the photos. I am looking forward to seeing the renovations in person when I have some time to get down to Brantford.

Those speakers look huge. How was the sound at the arena?

Also they keep saying the arena has no HVAC system but it will be installed in the spring. So what does the arena have for heat? Radiant heaters?
Sound was amazing, the new lighting looked fantastic as well.

I think it's just that the current HVAC system is very dated. If you walk around the upper concourse they have literally cut holes in the side of the building and have installed additional vents for airflow.

I believe the installation in the spring is for a new modern system.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I went to the game today and although maybe a letdown was to be expected, holy crap were they bad.

They definitely missed Xhekaj today because they were physically dominated by the Steelheads.

It looks like O'Brien is having trouble adjusting to the speed of the league.

Hopefully when he gets some games under his belt this will change. It's definitely not an uncommon thing. He does see the ice well though.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Just watched the game.

Honestly the worst the dogs have played since maybe before covid? Just horrendous. They've been blownout before but this was just a rare lack of effort at times. I get that the skill level might be a little one sided in the steelheads favor right now but they were getting thrown around. Guys who are typically known for a rougher style seemed to shy away.

I liked Egorov game but his team did him no favors.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Rough game for the D and goaltending.

Way too much messing around at their own blue line. It’s not really the rookies making the mistakes either, vets who previously were reliable seem to be struggling lately. Still early to build chemistry though. Pete’s again tonight.

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
Rough game for the D and goaltending.

Way too much messing around at their own blue line. It’s not really the rookies making the mistakes either, vets who previously were reliable seem to be struggling lately. Still early to build chemistry though. Pete’s again tonight.
Way too much messing around at the offensive blueline as well. It was a complete mess. As veterans that are depended on, 75 and 45 need to be so much better.

PP is also way too predictable. It's a 1:20 of trying to find Lardis and then :40 of PP2 helping to just kill the rest of time.

The ice was also brutal in the 3rd.

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Way too much messing around at the offensive blueline as well. It was a complete mess. As veterans that are depended on, 75 and 45 need to be so much better.

PP is also way too predictable. It's a 1:20 of trying to find Lardis and then :40 of PP2 helping to just kill the rest of time.

The ice was also brutal in the 3rd.

lol, you literally stole every point that I was about to make. Totally agree with you.

PP is SO predictable.

Donovan was much better last night, but he has really struggled by trying to do too much.

Absolute bonehead major by Okitundu.

Who knows what happens with all of the garbage at the end, but there will be suspensions for sure.

Sherk and Xhekaj both got game misconducts for leaving the bench. They could be gone for awhile.

Last edited:

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Who knows what happens with all of the garbage at the end, but there will be suspensions for sure.

Sherk and Xhekaj both got game misconducts for leaving the bench. They could be gone for awhile.
Unfortunately I didn’t catch last night’s game but got it taped to watch later. I did find a clip of the shenanigans at the end though and saw that part.

Pretty sure fighting in the final 5 mins (Brown), third man in (Moore), and second fight (Roberts) are all suspensions. I’m positive leaving the bench is a lengthy suspension (Sherk & Xhekaj)… I want to say 10 games but I guess we’ll see.

Drobac got 2 mins for leaving the crease and seemed to be involved a bit with Sztuska right in the thick of the scrum. No fight, but I guess we’ll see if the league does anything extra.

I’m curious to see the updated media notes with the suspensions but our roster is probably going look a little thin for a few games.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Unfortunately I didn’t catch last night’s game but got it taped to watch later. I did find a clip of the shenanigans at the end though and saw that part.

Pretty sure fighting in the final 5 mins (Brown), third man in (Moore), and second fight (Roberts) are all suspensions. I’m positive leaving the bench is a lengthy suspension (Sherk & Xhekaj)… I want to say 10 games but I guess we’ll see.

Drobac got 2 mins for leaving the crease and seemed to be involved a bit with Sztuska right in the thick of the scrum. No fight, but I guess we’ll see if the league does anything extra.

I’m curious to see the updated media notes with the suspensions but our roster is probably going look a little thin for a few games.
I believe it is a minimum 2 games for the coach as well if players leave the bench.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
With the Bulldogs playing tomorrow night, I would think that suspensions would be announced today?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad