Brantford Bulldogs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Unfortunately I didn’t catch last night’s game but got it taped to watch later. I did find a clip of the shenanigans at the end though and saw that part.

Pretty sure fighting in the final 5 mins (Brown), third man in (Moore), and second fight (Roberts) are all suspensions. I’m positive leaving the bench is a lengthy suspension (Sherk & Xhekaj)… I want to say 10 games but I guess we’ll see.

Drobac got 2 mins for leaving the crease and seemed to be involved a bit with Sztuska right in the thick of the scrum. No fight, but I guess we’ll see if the league does anything extra.

I’m curious to see the updated media notes with the suspensions but our roster is probably going look a little thin for a few games.
The situation on Saturday was unique. It was not a straightforward bench clearing brawl. A melee (not the player) started on the ice after the Peterborough scored in overtime. It all started when Noah Roberts slashed Connor Lockhart, Lockhart then slashed him back and as result Florian Xhekaj came off the bench to go after Lockhart. Somewhere in there the Petes players left the bench to celebrate the win and a few got involved with the Brantford players. Most of the Petes did not get involved until the Bulldog players left their bench. The reason I think that Konnor Smith and Brayden Velliaris got game misconducts for leaving the bench because they got involved in the scrum. I am not sure when Lawson Sherk left the bench. I expect Smith will likely get two games for the second fight and two or three games for leaving the bench and Velliaris will get two or three games for leaving the bench. They could get an extra couple of games but I doubt it. I expect Xhekaj to get seven to ten games because he came of the bench to go after Lockhart. Sherk will likely get two or three games for leaving the bench. He also could get a few more games but again I doubt it. Roberts will get two games for the second fight. Lockhart, Liam Sztuska, Matteo Drobac and Cole Brown will likely not get suspended as they did not receive game misconducts. Jay McKee will get an automatic two game suspension for not controlling his bench. I am not sure if Rob Wilson will be suspended because the Petes left their bench to celebrate the win and yes a few people players became involved the others did not until the remainder of the Brantford players got involved.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Moore (BFD) 2 games
Roberts (BFD) 2 games
Bulldogs fined $1,000

Okitundu (BFD) 3 games

How did Xhekaj not even get a game when many people were predicting a significant suspension?

Reactions: frontsfan67

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
The situation on Saturday was unique. It was not a straightforward bench clearing brawl. A melee (not the player) started on the ice after the Peterborough scored in overtime. It all started when Noah Roberts slashed Connor Lockhart, Lockhart then slashed him back and as result Florian Xhekaj came off the bench to go after Lockhart. Somewhere in there the Petes players left the bench to celebrate the win and a few got involved with the Brantford players. Most of the Petes did not get involved until the Bulldog players left their bench. The reason I think that Konnor Smith and Brayden Velliaris got game misconducts for leaving the bench because they got involved in the scrum. I am not sure when Lawson Sherk left the bench. I expect Smith will likely get two games for the second fight and two or three games for leaving the bench and Velliaris will get two or three games for leaving the bench. They could get an extra couple of games but I doubt it. I expect Xhekaj to get seven to ten games because he came of the bench to go after Lockhart. Sherk will likely get two or three games for leaving the bench. He also could get a few more games but again I doubt it. Roberts will get two games for the second fight. Lockhart, Liam Sztuska, Matteo Drobac and Cole Brown will likely not get suspended as they did not receive game misconducts. Jay McKee will get an automatic two game suspension for not controlling his bench. I am not sure if Rob Wilson will be suspended because the Petes left their bench to celebrate the win and yes a few people players became involved the others did not until the remainder of the Brantford players got involved.
Looks like you were pretty close with your assessment. Suspensions just got posted. I assume they post them all at once and that’s it, although I expected a bit more.

Lucas Moore - 2 games
Noah Roberts - 2 games
Konnor Smith - 4 games
Cedricson Okitundu - 3 games (for his match penalty earlier in the game)

I don’t believe suspensions for coaches get posted but it wounding surprise me if McKee and possibly Wilson get something as well.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Has Okitundu had an actual fight, he sure gets alot of misconducts for yapping and cheap stuff but has he ever backed it up?

Reactions: Rounder8

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Looks like you were pretty close with your assessment. Suspensions just got posted. I assume they post them all at once and that’s it, although I expected a bit more.

Lucas Moore - 2 games
Noah Roberts - 2 games
Konnor Smith - 4 games
Cedricson Okitundu - 3 games (for his match penalty earlier in the game)

I don’t believe suspensions for coaches get posted but it wounding surprise me if McKee and possibly Wilson get something as well.
The only surprise was that Florian Xhekaj was not suspended as he came of the bench to go after Connor Lockhart. I expected him to get a long suspension. Was it because he not get a major for fighting and that would explain why Brayden Velliaris and Lawson Sherk were also not suspended. I think coach suspensions are usually posted. I guess both escaped suspension.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
The only surprise was that Florian Xhekaj was not suspended as he came of the bench to go after Connor Lockhart. I expected him to get a long suspension. Was it because he not get a major for fighting and that would explain why Brayden Velliaris and Lawson Sherk were also not suspended. I think coach suspensions are usually posted. I guess both escaped suspension.
I also wondered about Velliaris for removing Sherk’s helmet, especially with him wearing the cage. Looks like they let that go too.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I also wondered about Velliaris for removing Sherk’s helmet, especially with him wearing the cage. Looks like they let that go too.
I doubt they could see the individual situations going on the ice with all that was going on. They were focusing on getting the situation under control and likely did not see it.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018

Only players that were involved in the "altercations" were punished.

My guess is that the league let the leaving the bench go is because it was the end of the game.

The Petes were already on the ice (which was justified) to celebrate, but players for the opposing team are also allowed onto the ice at the end of a game. As the Petes players neared the scrum, that's when the Bulldogs bench got involved. In my playing days, I would have 100% done the same thing.

This happens at the end of periods fairly often and IF nobody started fighting it wouldn't have been an issue at all.

I guess the league has thought the same way because it was an end game situation. I have to admit I'm surprised though.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Game vs Knights tmo is going to be all kinds of trouble with those guys now out.

I wonder what the crowd is going to be like on a weekday. Usually in Hamilton, not many showed up on weekday games.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Only players that were involved in the "altercations" were punished.

My guess is that the league let the leaving the bench go is because it was the end of the game.

The Petes were already on the ice (which was justified) to celebrate, but players for the opposing team are also allowed onto the ice at the end of a game. As the Petes players neared the scrum, that's when the Bulldogs bench got involved. In my playing days, I would have 100% done the same thing.

This happens at the end of periods fairly often and IF nobody started fighting it wouldn't have been an issue at all.

I guess the league has thought the same way because it was an end game situation. I have to admit I'm surprised though.
I am a bit confused of why Konnor Smith got four games if they were letting the leaving the bench misconducts go. He should have only received two games. He would have the left the bench with the rest of his teammates to celebrate the win but got involved in the melee instead. However he did not leave the bench in an intent to get involved in an altercation but reacted when he saw what was going on. Xhekaj left the bench and shoved Lockhart into the net and receives no suspension. By his actions he was involved in the brawl.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
I am a bit confused of why Konnor Smith got four games if they were letting the leaving the bench misconducts go. He should have only received two games. He would have the left the bench with the rest of his teammates to celebrate the win but got involved in the melee instead. However he did not leave the bench in an intent to get involved in an altercation but reacted when he saw what was going on. Xhekaj left the bench and shoved Lockhart into the net and receives no suspension. By his actions he was involved in the brawl.

I'm guessing that Smith didn't get it for leaving the bench. He got it for getting into a fight after the game. Looks like he got 2 for that, and 2 for having 2 fights?

The other players that got suspended (Moore, Roberts and Velliaris) also got involved in fights after the game. Moore was on the ice when the game ended, so it's the only reason that he would be suspended. All of this supports my theory (I think lol).

As heavy handed as the league is nowadays I expected more.

Also, I've heard people calling this a "bench brawl". I think that they either have never seen or forgotten what a true bench brawl looks like.

Reactions: rve24 and sbpointer

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I'm guessing that Smith didn't get it for leaving the bench. He got it for getting into a fight after the game. Looks like he got 2 for that, and 2 for having 2 fights?

The other players that got suspended (Moore, Roberts and Velliaris) also got involved in fights after the game. Moore was on the ice when the game ended, so it's the only reason that he would be suspended. All of this supports my theory (I think lol).

As heavy handed as the league is nowadays I expected more.

Also, I've heard people calling this a "bench brawl". I think that they either have never seen or forgotten what a true bench brawl looks like.
Konnor Smith only had one fight in the game not two. The Petes got off lightly with only one player getting suspended to is not good that it is our second best defenceman.

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Konnor Smith only had one fight in the game not two. The Petes got off lightly with only one player getting suspended to is not good that it is our second best defenceman.

My bad, for some reason I thought that he had 2.

If that's the case I'm not sure why he got 4 games and Roberts only got 2.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Will be heading to the Civic Center tonight to take in the game.
Looking forward to checking it out!

I think the implication is that incident was as close as you are going to get to a "bench brawl" in todays OHL

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
Predictable result tonight.

Interesting and maybe needed that the first PP unit got benched in the 3rd period.

They worked hard, but frankly this is not a very good hockey team.

Luca Testa looked strong tonight.

I'm also impressed by the strides Ben Bujold has made this year.

Not a whole lot of other positives.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Predictable result tonight.

Interesting and maybe needed that the first PP unit got benched in the 3rd period.

They worked hard, but frankly this is not a very good hockey team.

Luca Testa looked strong tonight.

I'm also impressed by the strides Ben Bujold has made this year.

Not a whole lot of other positives.
Honestly, I expected a much worse result tonight and thought we might see London hit double digits, especially with a depleted defence.

Completely agree with Testa tonight. I’m really liking Bujold as well. He’s been a solid 3rd line C.

I also thought Egorov looked good, especially coming in cold after relieving Drobac and stopping all shots. For tonight being Ben Radley’s OHL debut, I thought he had a solid game as well. He made some nice shutdown defensive plays.

Reactions: Rounder8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad