Player Discussion Brandon Pirri

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Played with Pirri before, guy can SCOREEE... Dominos, a trade is coming, at the very least HFD looks pretty good

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ok. I like this but I am completely confused. We already have two too many forwards.
Add of Vesey + Pirri suggest 2 of Nash/Zuc/Stepan are leaving sooner than later.

I know everyone here hates him but this is definitely worth a gamble. Love it.

Wtf that's 19 forwards now.

No hate, just want to be sure no one is confusing Brandon Pirri with Brandon Saad.

Stat heads are gunna love this one

and this also means a Nash deal is imminent!:sarcasm:

timing is everything... or at least a lot!

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Absolutely love this signing, though now it makes me anxious as to what will come next... Just please, whatever the plan is, leave my Zuccy here... That's all I ask...

But something obviously is in the works. I hate the wait. Hopefully the trigger is pulled sooner than later, so that we all can just know what we'll be likely dealing with come the start of the season. But Pirri absolutely needs to be in the lineup, and no way is he gonna be sitting out. I think he's gonna fit right in and thrive here, and I look forward to some timely goals from him.

And I give Gorton a huge round of applause for what he's sneakily managed this offseason. I can't remember the last time I gave an offseason effort an A or A+, but I love the moves made so far and how it revitalizes our squad a bit. After last season, which regardless of points or standings, was the most uninspiring season to me since our 7 year playoffless run many years ago, we needed something to get us feeling refreshed, and Gorton managed to give us that, I would think. Or at least to most of us.

But something else obviously is coming, and I'm crossing my fingers it'll be something competent and rave worthy; a good solid deal that improves our D and sends the right forwards and assets packing, that most would consider to be a trade that NYR won and that as a fanbase we can get behind. If he manages to pull that off, then it will be by far the best offseason I can remember in one hell of a long time, and it will get me totally juiced up for the start of the season (which not all that many weeks ago, I almost couldn't care less about). So in just a few weeks time, I feel like we have a nicely refreshed roster, but with the obvious gaping D issue needing resolution. So Please Gorton, work some magic. Just no tradin Zucc, got it? Thx.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Please enlighten me as to what moves Gorton didn't make that he had the opportunity to? I am curious. You seem extremely confident in your statement.

Maybe Anaheim offered Cam Fowler for Zucc. :biglaugh:

Would you have done that deal?

Maybe the Redwings were open to giving us Kronwall. Would you have traded for him?

You have no clue if those players could have been traded for a top 4 D. If there was one available, maybe Gorton didn't feel it was the right piece. With the moves he has made so far I trust him.

Based on the moves made so far there is zero reason to believe that if a good deal for a top 4 d was available that we wouldn't have made it. That doesn't stop you from making blanket statements when you have no idea as to what has occurred.

You are getting so defensive for some reason.

I don't know what deals were to be made, but to think there's not a single team in the NHL that would swap a Top 4 PMD for 28 year old first line winger, where a pretty fair deal can be worked out, thats really hard to believe. Nash, I understand that could be more difficult. There probably aren't that many teams interested, but I doubt there were that many teams interested in Phil Kessel. Didn't stop Toronto from getting a good deal. Klein's a decent player on a good contract, there could've been a deal available, and actually I remember reading Larry Brooks state that there was almost a deal for Klein at the draft. Teams trade players like McIlrath, Fast, Lindberg, Hrivik, Jensen all the time. Doesn't mean we'd get a ton for them, but wouldn't it be smart to try to trade these younger expendable players for other younger expendable players who play a style of play that we need to add? Low value young players with some potential for other low value young players with some potential.

Also, we don't need a perfect deal. I don't know whether Gorton has been holding out for that or not. We have like 13 or 14 forwards who can play in the top 9, and probably 18 in contention for a spot on the roster, 17 if you aren't counting Lindberg, and 16 if you aren't counting Glass, but with AV as coach, I would count Glass. We need to get rid of some forwards. I don't want to have to lose our best forwards, but I feel like we have the depth to lose some of them. Its not going to do the team any good to have a top 5 offense in the league with numerous NHL forwards playing in the AHL while we have a middle 1/3 defense that eventually gets us knocked out of the playoffs again.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If the Rangers still have an eye on competing for the cup again in a year or so I can see them trying to hang on to Zucc pretty tightly. Not gonna get a better forward than him on a better contract in a trade, and none of the depth they've picked up replace him at this time.

If they're going all in on "sell high get prospects" then sure I can see him being a big target.

But he's also young enough and productive enough that you can hang onto him for another season or so and then move him. Just depends on what's out there and how the Rangers view their chances. If they can make a big improvement to their D without moving him then they can be contenders again real quick

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
If we trade Zucc I'll go full Machinehead and totally ignore that it might be a good value trade and just be massively upset my favorite player was traded.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If the Rangers still have an eye on competing for the cup again in a year or so I can see them trying to hang on to Zucc pretty tightly. Not gonna get a better forward than him on a better contract in a trade, and none of the depth they've picked up replace him at this time.

If they're going all in on "sell high get prospects" then sure I can see him being a big target.

But he's also young enough and productive enough that you can hang onto him for another season or so and then move him. Just depends on what's out there and how the Rangers view their chances. If they can make a big improvement to their D without moving him then they can be contenders again real quick

imo if they move him for a dman, it will be for a huge blueline upgrade that gives us a better chance to win this year. not for a prospect

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Now all Gorton needs to do is sign Nakladal :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pirri will be useful for the second PP. He's a trigger man and Vesey is a net front guy. All Pirri needs to do is get that wrister off a couple of times and it'll make goalies worry about him all season.

Honestly, with no true PP QB at the moment, McD/Stepan are manning the points. It looks more and more like this Nash for Fowler deal will come true.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Worst case scenario is that Pirri stinks it up and is put on waivers and sent down to the Pack. Someone claims him, no cap hit; if he clears waivers it's only about a 200k cap hit.

Yeah, I really think this is another case of the front office using Rangers resources and extra cap room to take some chances. In the minor he'd cost the Rangers 1.1M and 200K in cap space in the minors, which this year won't matter.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I said before we got Vesey why wouldn't we just sign pirri he's a better player and like a year older.

Now we have both lol

And for the record I've been telling anyone that will listen zucc is getting dealt. Fast probably as well. I still don't think it'll be Nash. Buchnevich and Vesey are making the team neither would be here under contract right now otherwise.

Jooris is totally different type of player great pickup he's centering the 4th line.

So if you aren't dealing zucc or Nash? And you figure AV goes with 8 D which he prefers......You probably have 2 roster spots total up for grabs between Gerbe Glass Pirri Fast Jensen Hrivik and Lindberg (may not even be an nhler after that surgery, barely was prior)

Someone up front or someone's are leaving for a legit Righty D

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Main board is calling it "Dumpster diving". Vesey is also just mediocre.

The Rangers can trade Girardi for Tarasenko and they would call it a bad trade because Tarasenko is not that great. The moment a player is part of our roster, his value seems to drop on HF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad