Player Discussion Brandon Montour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Nope, full homer!

Cross between Nic Lidstrom, Bobby Orr and Chuck Norris. Just better, cooler and a little more bad-ass. He'll be the first player to win the Norris so decisively that they'll just give him the next Norris right there on the spot. Don't try to put your reason and common sense in here, ain't nobody got no time for that!

:laugh:

I'm glad to see you're trying to be realistic about your expectations.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Nope, full homer!

Cross between Nic Lidstrom, Bobby Orr and Chuck Norris. Just better, cooler and a little more bad-ass. He'll be the first player to win the Norris so decisively that they'll just give him the next Norris right there on the spot. Don't try to put your reason and common sense in here, ain't nobody got no time for that!

This reminds me of the old vatanen threads

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I recall being more frustrated with Theodore as a first-year pro last year than I've ever been with Montour, but remember, I'm watching them as AHL players.

yeah I seem to recall much more frustration from posters about Theo than Montour. I remember hearing that effort and occasional brain fart happened more often with Theo.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
yeah I seem to recall much more frustration from posters about Theo than Montour. I remember hearing that effort and occasional brain fart happened more often with Theo.

Here's what I see the big difference is... Theo, much like he started off doing last year, is playing like he's trying not to make a mistake. He's playing well defensively, but he lacks confidence in his offensive game. Last year, he was in the same boat and turned in on offensively. Montour, on the other hand, started off much the same his first 5 game stint. When he came back on this recall, you can tell he let loose and he plays with a natural confidence not many people have. Once Theo gets into a rhythm, I see his game getting much better. Montour, seems to create his rhythm and that has helped him adjust much quicker.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
The more I watch Montour, The more i see a young Doubty in him. His Cockiness, His Poise, His hussle. I think hes going to be a great Player

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
A young Drew Doughty was 18-19. Montour turns 23 this year.

I am sure Doughty played hockey much longer than Montour and was his main sport. I don't see a comparison between him and Montour though. Yes Montour is a cocky ****er and very chippy but their games are different.

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
Now, when people say he can be a special player do they mean a second pairing RHD with some offensive upside?

If that's the definition of special you are using, then I'm more apt to agree that certainly looks possible with Montour. Anything above that and I would seriously pump the brakes on the hype train at this point

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I am sure Doughty played hockey much longer than Montour and was his main sport. I don't see a comparison between him and Montour though. Yes Montour is a cocky ****er and very chippy but their games are different.

I know it's impressive that Montour has improved as much as he has, but it still doesn't change the fact that there are peak years for athletes to improve the most. Just because he committed later doesn't mean he will necessary keep improving as, say, a 25 year old, the same way a 21 year old would.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Montour's offensive instincts are through the roof. Even if he doesn't pan out he should still be able to make a living at worst as a third pairing guy who can QB a PP. I hope they can make room for him in a sheltered role to finish the year. In other words I hope they will start scratching Bieksa.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Now, when people say he can be a special player do they mean a second pairing RHD with some offensive upside?

If that's the definition of special you are using, then I'm more apt to agree that certainly looks possible with Montour. Anything above that and I would seriously pump the brakes on the hype train at this point

I think he can be more than that. Kevin Shattenkirk type of special, which is a 1st pairing D when he's on his game

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
will Montour have to go through waivers next season if Ducks try to send him to AHL??? Is he at that point yet?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
will Montour have to go through waivers next season if Ducks try to send him to AHL??? Is he at that point yet?

According to cap friendly he needs another 69 games or two seasons of professional play whichever comes first. So it's likely he won't be eligible until at least part way through next season or if he doesn't play another 69 games between now and end of next season he won't need to clear waivers until 2018-19.

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers_calculator/brandon-montour

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
According to cap friendly he needs another 69 games or two seasons of professional play whichever comes first. So it's likely he won't be eligible until at least part way through next season or if he doesn't play another 69 games between now and end of next season he won't need to clear waivers until 2018-19.

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers_calculator/brandon-montour

wow.. so he could technically still be an AHLer next year hey... boy oh boy

I mean that's great for Anaheim to have that option still, but I feel sorry for the guy if he still is in the AHL next year.... atleast he gets to live in San Diego though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad