Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
Credit for this post granted its post draft and not pre draft.

Unfortunately you have some horrible takes in the post draft Brady thread.

Perhaps its some some of narrative you need to continue to fulfill? View attachment 464792 View attachment 464793 View attachment 464794 View attachment 464795 View attachment 464796 View attachment 464797 View attachment 464798

I don't see much of an issue with most of what was said there. Brady isn't the guy you want to be the driver on your top line, Matthew is better, and high skill forwards with drive are more valuable and harder to contain than less skilled guys with drive. He's on record saying he wanted Hughes at that spot, so the Zadina comment isn't really much unless we have a post of him saying he would rather Zadina (it might very well be there, as many people said that). Zadina has a lot to prove, but it's not a foregone conclusion that he won't be a 30+ goal scorer yet. I didn't follow the draft too closely, so I didn't really have a preference outside of "please let the Canes pass on Svechnikov then have Montreal reach for the center!", so I don't know much about Zadina.

Only thing I don't think is reasonable is the upside comment.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Brady is not the driver of our top line that played so well last yr than who is? I don't think it's Norris either although he had a great first yr in Ottawa, so it must be Batherson & yet most believe Tkachuk deserves more money than Batherson. What's up with that? Tkachuk has led this team in scoring for two seasons now regardless of the circumstances surrounding the two seasons, everyone else had the same opportunities, but he is the one who did it.

He's also the one who led the team & the league in several other categories ahead of his brother. I know intangibles mean very little to so many on here & it's all about points for them, but let's give some credit where credit is due with this guy, he has become much better already than so many said he would when he was drafted. And given what the experts are saying about him now he should only get better as he gets physically stronger.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
If Brady is not the driver of our top line that played so well last yr than who is? I don't think it's Norris either although he had a great first yr in Ottawa, so it must be Batherson & yet most believe Tkachuk deserves more money than Batherson. What's up with that? Tkachuk has led this team in scoring for two seasons now regardless of the circumstances surrounding the two seasons, everyone else had the same opportunities, but he is the one who did it.

there was no real top line driver. That's why they only scored at 50 point pace and were all minus players. It was a good young line, but a bad NHL top line (relative).

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
there was no real top line driver. That's why they only scored at 50 point pace and were all minus players. It was a good young line, but a bad NHL top line (relative).

They were minus players because the defence & goaltending were so crappy to start the season. You don't think a 50 pt pace is good with basically two rookies on his line on a rebuilding team? These guys are only going to get better as the rest of the team gets better especially defensively & they start to cut down on the mistakes & turnovers & start winning more offensive zone faceoffs. A bad NHL line? They are going to dominate some teams. Have some faith.

Reactions: Dionysus

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
They were minus players because the defence & goaltending were so crappy to start the season. You don't think a 50 pt pace is good with basically two rookies on his line on a rebuilding team? These guys are only going to get better as the rest of the team gets better especially defensively & they start to cut down on the mistakes & turnovers & start winning more offensive zone faceoffs. A bad NHL line? They are going to dominate some teams. Have some faith.

it's good but if he's the line driver he would be outscoring the two rookies rather than them all pacing the same. No one drove that line, it was just three good young players.

I'm saying they were a bad top line relative to other teams top lines. I do think they can become a good top line. Or at least a 1B.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I will still stand for all of those except the Jordan Staal Upside, Brady might hit a higher upside but even so it's not like Brady right now is as good Jordan Staal was at his best. I also like Tuch a lot more.

However Matthew being more skilled and higher IQ than Brady is a gimme. If Brady had Matthews skill I would give him the 8m easy.

I had a lot worse takes. the ones you highlighted are mostly still relevant.

I honestly went through judt the first 4 pages and was satisfied with what I had found of your posts.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I don't even know if it's about the money for Brady as much as team commitment to compete and spend to the cap in his prime.

I'd wait and see if I were him.

I suspect the team's track record given his agent isn't great.

I'm actually surprised people are shocked at this. I thought we'd called the bridge deal eons ago.

Bridge deal ---> him leaving

Hope people know this is exactly what will happen in such a scenario.

Dorion signing him to anything less than 7-8 years is a huge failure on the org's part.

Reactions: Dionysus

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Bridge deal ---> him leaving

Hope people know this is exactly what will happen in such a scenario.

Dorion signing him to anything less than 7-8 years is a huge failure on the org's part.
How is it a failure if the player doesn’t want to sign for that long (hypothetically speaking)?

I think they should go 5 if they can’t get 8 though. 5 is more than enough. If the sens aren’t good enough to win a cup in that time frame, they never will be.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Even if he signed an eight deal he could still demand a trade after year two if he didn't like the direction the team was heading.

Absolutely exactly my point. That's why this whole "I want to see the team commit to winning" narrative is all absolute bull**** to me.

SECURE LONGTERM DEAL with FULL NMC then demand to get traded whenever you want after you see no commitment to winning and with the type of player Brady is, he can get anyone he chooses--they will make space for him.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Exactly I never said that. Garrioch (the team's mouthpiece) said they have offered him 8x8. The offer is what I have a gripe with - don't care if he turned it down or not. That's besides the point.
Last season Thomas Chabot agreed to 8 seasons x $8M and Sens management offered the same package to Brady. Does that mean Brady’s agent wanted more than $8M per season, perhaps $9M?!

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Absolutely exactly my point. That's why this whole "I want to see the team commit to winning" narrative is all absolute bull**** to me.

SECURE LONGTERM DEAL with FULL NMC then demand to get traded whenever you want after you see no commitment to winning and with the type of player Brady is, he can get anyone he chooses--they will make space for him.
Hell never get a full NMC

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Ahhh, but the bolded depends on the contract as well.

If he signs for $8M or more per year but remains a hard hitting 50 point player, then he might be hard to move whether he likes it or not. He could be stuck here.

Reactions: DrEasy

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I will still stand for all of those except the Jordan Staal Upside, Brady might hit a higher upside but even so it's not like Brady right now is as good Jordan Staal was at his best. I also like Tuch a lot more.

However Matthew being more skilled and higher IQ than Brady is a gimme. If Brady had Matthews skill I would give him the 8m easy.

I had a lot worse takes. the ones you highlighted are mostly still relevant.
Horrible take if you think Tuch is close to tkachuk

Reactions: DJB and Dionysus

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Brady's the main core piece of this rebuild. I am baffled how so many people on here are arguing against the rumored 8X8 offer. It's crucial that it gets done so we can move forward and be competitive over the next 5 years and more. It's the only path available to a small-market team that doesn't attract big UFAs(Eichel is never coming here). We're lucky to have drafted a player who can lead so many kids with very little experience to back it up. Bridging him would be a disaster.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Brady's the main core piece of this rebuild. I am baffled how so many people on here are arguing against the rumored 8X8 offer. It's crucial that it gets done so we can move forward and be competitive over the next 5 years and more. It's the only path available to a small-market team that doesn't attract big UFAs(Eichel is never coming here). We're lucky to have drafted a player who can lead so many kids with very little experience to back it up. Bridging him would be a disaster.

Chabot,. Stutzle, and Sanderson will all be better and more valuable players. Possibly Batherson and Norris too.

Paying Tkachuk 8M x 8YRs is asking for another White-type contract. Implies significant growth to come, which could easily not happen, and puts a terrible benchmark out there for all of our other young forwards.

Brady obviously doesn't want to commit to the Sens long-term right now. Sens should accept that and give him a short bridge deal, not overpay him with a massive salary because they want to give him the captaincy now.

Reactions: HSF and Agent Zub
Oct 10, 2010
I would never give a full no trade clause to Brady at 8x8 no freaking way that’s how you ruin your roster return - Way too much power to the player at such high number.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Chabot,. Stutzle, and Sanderson will all be better and more valuable players. Possibly Batherson and Norris too.

Paying Tkachuk 8M x 8YRs is asking for another White-type contract. Implies significant growth to come, which could easily not happen, and puts a terrible benchmark out there for all of our other young forwards.

Brady obviously doesn't want to commit to the Sens long-term right now. Sens should accept that and give him a short bridge deal, not overpay him with a massive salary because they want to give him the captaincy now.

Lol no.

Reactions: aragorn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad