Rumor: Brady Tkachuk frustrated with the Ottawa Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
8x8 is a pretty good contract for BT but it sounds like he wants a bridge contact. Wonder if Ottawa is only offering long term to him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
8 x 8 is a fair deal…. Tkachuk is not signing due to length. He wants to be walked to free Agency like his brother….. at close to 7 mill plus….. which is not happening in Ottawa!

Let him sit all year and not get paid…. It will not even count as a year towards Free Agency! He will still owe Ottawa 4 years!
It certainly is a nuclear option to go to that extreme, which will have ramifications beyond this current negotiation.

I'm not sure 8x8 is "fair". If a player doesn't want to sign for 8 years, then it's not fair, no matter if we think the value makes sense. The CBA is set up in a way to allow players to become UFAs after a certain number of years so asking them to sign beyond that timeframe may be what the team wants, but certainly may not be fair to the player. Being beholden to 1 team for 11 years (3 ELC + 8 RFA/UFA) , including all of your prime years isn't what some players want, and I don't blame them.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
His points:
- Toronto has awful depth due to the top guys getting paid
- Zub would be a good Dman on Toronto
- C.Brown is the type of player Toronto needs more of

What is he wrong about exactly?

You're repeating standard misconceptions common to folks who don't actually watch the Leafs. Leafs depth is fine - their 15th forward just got waiver claimed and will start for the Habs, as an example. Zub would have trouble beating out Sandin/Lil/Dermott for the last spot on D. Yes, Brown would be a nice 3rd liner.

This is a Tkachuk thread, btw.

Reactions: TML1990

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You're repeating standard misconceptions common to folks who don't actually watch the Leafs. Leafs depth is fine - their 15th forward just got waiver claimed and will start for the Habs, as an example. Zub would have trouble beating out Sandin/Lil/Dermott for the last spot on D. Yes, Brown would be a nice 3rd liner.

No he wouldnt bro...Zub is being very underated here

Reactions: SensFactor

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Have they caved?
You know they still have 2 more months to cave right?

They havent even reached the part where it matters that hes not signed yet...

Lets see how Dorion is feelin once Ottawa starts dropping some games and they look like a mess.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If Tkachuk wants to bet on himself, good enough on him. Is he being reasonable? Who cares. He has every right to stand firm and ask for what he thinks his value is. And on the flip side, the Senators have every right to hold firm as well. Personally, 8x8 probably carries more risk for Ottawa than Tkachuk at this point. I think it's more likely he winds up as a $7m/year player during the deal than he explodes and misses out on being a $10m/yr player. Hopefully, for both sides, it gets sorted, but the other side of being as business-like and unsentimental as Brady's camp is, is that they're unlikely to hold a grudge over it, either.

All that being said, getting this done is really important for Ottawa. The market was willing to buy into a rebuild (the issues with Melnyk go well beyond the last few years), but they've seen how organizational chaos has lost them elite talent and franchise cornerstones. Getting a "business" deal done with someone like Tkachuk would be huge for them. It would show Ottawa has found some stability after years of chaos and ol'Eugene can go back to being the team's idiot uncle rather than being a millstone around the neck of everything the team does, while hockey operations gets on with building and sustaining a winner.

Re: Players betting on themselves

With the risk of a career-altering injury on any given shift, I've never understood why a player in Brady's situation would turn down 64 million dollars in guaranteed salary for the chance to make a few million more when the alternative could be he ends up with a fraction of what he could've earned if he'd taken that 8 year deal

For example, he's offered 8x8, turns it down, signs a 3x6 bridge deal instead... then in year 2 of his 3 year contract he crashes at full speed into the net and shatters his hip on the post... career over

There's also the chance he gets hurt away from the rink... like what happened to Konstantinov

Would anyone here risk 46 million in guaranteed money for a chance to make 60 milllion?

That's only covering the injury risk... there's also the risk that his production stalls. Right now the Sens are willing to gamble that he'll improve offensively, but what if that doesn't happen?

Tkachuk has averaged .63, .62, and .64 points-per-game in his first 3 seasons... what if he signs a bridge deal, but tops out as a .7 PPG player?

How many teams are going to be offering 8+ million for a 25 year old winger putting up 55 points a season?

All things considered, the only conclusion I can draw from this situation is that Brady doesn't want to be in Ottawa long term...

Last edited:
Reactions: c_mak

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Re: Players betting on themselves

With the risk of a life-altering injury on any given shift, I've never understood why a player in Brady's situation would turn down 64 million dollars in guaranteed salary over 8 for the chance to make a few million more when the alternative could be he ends up with a fraction of what he could've earned if he'd taken that 8 year deal

For example, he's offered 8x8, turns it down, signs a 3x6 bridge deal instead... then in year 2 of his 3 year contract he crashes at full speed into the net and shatters his hip on the post... career over

Would anyone here risk 46 million in guaranteed money for a chance to make 60 milllion?

That's only covering the injury risk... there's also the risk that his production stalls. Right now the Sens are willing to gamble that he'll improve offensively, but what if that doesn't happen?

Tkachuk has averaged .63, .62, and .64 point-per-game in his first 3 seasons... what if he signs a bridge deal, but tops out as a .7 PPG player...

How many teams are going to be offering 8+ million for a 25 year old winger putting up 55 points a season?

All things considered, the only conclusion I can draw from this situation is that Brady doesn't want to be in Ottawa long term...

Two easy counters......

1. Nurse
2. Draisaitl

One would do it over again, one wouldn't. I'll let you guess which is which.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
It certainly is a nuclear option to go to that extreme, which will have ramifications beyond this current negotiation.

I'm not sure 8x8 is "fair". If a player doesn't want to sign for 8 years, then it's not fair, no matter if we think the value makes sense. The CBA is set up in a way to allow players to become UFAs after a certain number of years so asking them to sign beyond that timeframe may be what the team wants, but certainly may not be fair to the player. Being beholden to 1 team for 11 years (3 ELC + 8 RFA/UFA) , including all of your prime years isn't what some players want, and I don't blame them.

He currently owes Ottawa 4 more RFA years…

Then Brady can asked to be traded in the media or sign a 1 year below market deal of 5 million.

Every year after that he will be Arbitration eligible and he can force his way off the Island ( Ottawa).By taking 1 or 2 year deals with the value determined through arbitration.

The Senators will trade him with 1 year remaining to re coup what ever value they can.

Ottawa has something good going …… if he signs for 6,7 or 8 years he can be captain and lead this group.

8 years x 8 million = 64 million
7 years x 7. 5 million = 52.5 million
6 years x 7 million = 42 million

*** notice how year 7 and 8 are worth 10.5 million and$11.5 million per year in the total package….

using Svechnikov’s deal in Carolina as a comparable!

Last edited:

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
Cold weather sucks. Massive taxes suck. Lake Muskoka is wildly overrated. Their "cottages" are disgusting, even at 10k square feet. Maple syrup is inferior to Mrs. Butterworth. Starve the beast of talent and resources.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Two easy counters......

1. Nurse
2. Draisaitl

Draisaitl averages $8.5MM/year over his deal while Nurse averages 6.825 over his 2 previous deals and the first 4 of his next one (8 years total).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He currently owes Ottawa 4 more RFA years…

Then Brady can asked to be traded in the media or sign a 1 year below market deal of 5 million.

Correct, he owes 4 years so to him so an 8 year deal may not be fair to him. That's my point.

There are a lot of ways to accomplish this. Sign a 4 year deal or a 5 year deal. Sign a bridge deal and be arb eligible, etc..

My only point in the response was that fans may think 8 years is a fair deal, and the team would certainly want to sign him to an 8 year deal, but the player may want nothing to do with an 8 year deal and thus not view it as fair.

As a fan, I'm happy that Svechnikov signed his long term deal, but I'd fully understand if he didn't want to. Aho didn't want an 8 year deal and the Canes mgmt were sticking to their guns on that (reportedly) so Aho short circuited the whole process. Good for him.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This is awesome. I hope it continues. I hope that the Canadian teams continue to get brutalized and the blue state teams suffer. No taxes = winning

Cold weather sucks. Massive taxes suck. Lake Muskoka is wildly overrated. Their "cottages" are disgusting, even at 10k square feet. Maple syrup is inferior to Mrs. Butterworth. Starve the beast of talent and resources.

You're incredibly strange. I know you're just trying to rile people up, but these are weird comments.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Two easy counters......

1. Nurse
2. Draisaitl

The NHL season is what, 8 months including training camp? Maybe 9 with a deep playoff run?

Draisaitl is being paid a million dollars a month to live out his lifelong dream of playing in the NHL...

If you were in his situation, do you think you'd go to bed at night with any regret?

Poor Draisaitl - both literally and figuratively - if only he were making 1.25 million per month, he'd be able to enjoy life...

Last edited:

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I don’t think guys like drasaitl or Pasternak care being underpaid relative to there peers. They are set for life, whether it’s 6, 8 or 10 million a year. Also you can’t take the rest of the money to your grave. All nhl superstars on favourable team friendly contracts are living there best life. They also get a lot of perks like first class healthcare, surgeries done right away, and likely a position in there nhl club or tv broadcast after playing if they so chose.

Reactions: bert

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Just lol at this awful take. Zub would be in the leafs top 4 and is one of the more underrated players in the league. He wouldn’t struggle to beat out non and fringe NHLers

Reactions: bert

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
8x8 is a pretty good contract for BT but it sounds like he wants a bridge contact. Wonder if Ottawa is only offering long term to him.

It sounds like the team has looked at a bridge, but those comments were about a week before camp opened. It would not surprise me though if they were asking for a Matt type of bridge (7M+) where from Ottawas standpoint, its hard to give a bridge above what Batherson signed long term for (5M). And there is the whole signing bonus issue which is likely coming into play.

Both camps have reason beyond this contract not to cave, however. Team Tkachuk has Matts contract to negotiate next year, and they want to show no weakness on Brady's negotiations. And The Senators have a couple of major pieces needing re-upping in the next two years and do not want to cave.

Unlike a lot RFA situations, there are a few more moving parts here than normal which is not helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad