Recalled/Assigned: Brady Skjei

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
have you seen many HFD games this season? If so how has Skjei looked on the right side?

no , not me, i have only SEEN highlights, haven't gotten to Hartford in a few years;
I follow the games and results online,

but aside from checking the 'player on ice' displayed for every goal in the online ,
no real way for me to comment

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
hopefully they do rest Boyle or Klein or Girardi on a second of back to backs

Staal-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi or Boyle

You got to get the spare guys some reps asap

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
i've been very happy with Skjei thus far. Looks more and more like a great pick.

Crazy what we can do when we actually have our first round draft picks...I'm very satisfied with skjei as well and am looking forward to seeing more.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'm totally on board with this pairing. I seriously doubt AV is on board though. Boyle scored a goal last night. It makes no difference he was a ****ing mess out there and out of position for the rest of the game, because he scored a goal. He's never being sat and I wouldn't be surprised if AV tries to get him resigned for another season.

I actually think Dan Boyle has looked much better the past couple weeks.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Skjei will be getting 2nd PP time. I like this. Especially since he's going to be given a few games. Will get a nice look at him on the PP, given that we get PP time, of course.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Missed the game except the last few minutes. How did he look?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Crazy what we can do when we actually have our first round draft picks...I'm very satisfied with skjei as well and am looking forward to seeing more.

Good thing we keep trading them all away for players who don't/can't deliver and get the added bonus where we harm the team long term. Who wants more chris kreiders, Duclair's Millers, skjei's etc etc

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Skjei seems to generate more offense from the right side. He can see the entire ice. He has more options on his forehand. The Rangers are going to need him to become a key contributor now with McD out and especially starting next season.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Good thing we keep trading them all away for players who don't/can't deliver and get the added bonus where we harm the team long term. Who wants more chris kreiders, Duclair's Millers, skjei's etc etc

Duclair wasn't a first rounder. The Yandle trade has been arguably their best one. He is a fantastic player in his prime. I also think the Nash trade was good but we won't go there since people despise him.

MSL, not so good. But we got a trip to the finals out of it.

Yandle will only be a debacle if they let him walk. That's on management, not the player. Gordon/Slats should have spoke with AV about his useage intentions. That they didn't this trade becomes terrible. It can be a good trade for both teams if they weren't morons and AV wasn't a horrendous coach.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Skjei looks great and looks fully capable of playing on the right side. He should be in the starting 6 for the playoffs even when everyone is healthy.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i think people *want* skjei to look so good that they are willing to say he looks good even when he looks...raw.

The kid has very good tools, i think he'll be ready sooner rather than later, but I dont think hes looked good..i think hes look ok.

better than Girardi? better than Boyle? Sure...but those guys play the right side, and like it or not, Skjei should be playing the left side.

its a LOT harder to play your off side as a defenseman than people want to admit.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
i think people *want* skjei to look so good that they are willing to say he looks good even when he looks...raw.

The kid has very good tools, i think he'll be ready sooner rather than later, but I dont think hes looked good..i think hes look ok.

better than Girardi? better than Boyle? Sure...but those guys play the right side, and like it or not, Skjei should be playing the left side.

its a LOT harder to play your off side as a defenseman than people want to admit.

I agree. As I've pointed out before, playing on the right side as a lefty isn't such a big deal... IF and ONLY IF you have developed that way from a young age OR you are a supremely talented player. I think if McDonagh stayed there for more than a few games, he'd be fine. I'm skeptical about a player, who might be talented but not supremely so, making that transition at the age of becoming a pro.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

Come on. This is nonsense.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Come on. This is nonsense.

no, it really isnt. people want kids to succeed, so much so that they ignore anything wrong with them and only remember all the good stuff...he breaks up a 2 on 1...great play. he turns the puck over with a blind pass up the middle, oops, hes just a kid learning.

i think the reason the Red Wings always seem to have young kids coming up is because the kids are ready to..they dont seem forced into it. I think Skjie is close...but i dont think hes looked nearly as good as people here do.

i also think that people are so used to seeing abysmal defense, that even seeing average defense is considered amazing.

being the 1 eyed man in the land of the blind still means youre 1 eyed...

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012

I really don't know what you're looking for if you're only seeing OK. Maybe points? I don't really care about points concerning him. I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

His skating is top end, his positioning is solid, good at using his body to wall guys off from the puck, strong on the boards, can skate the puck out of traffic and has an accurate pass. He may make some mistakes, but no worse than you'll get out of Boyle on a game by game basis. I trust him on the ice more than Boyle and McIlrath so I believe he's the best player to be in the lineup to give the team the best chance at winning.

It's not like he is 18 and just coming out of Jr. He's got 3 seasons of NCAA development plus almost a full seasons worth of AHL games and 15 AHL playoff games under his belt.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
no, it really isnt. people want kids to succeed, so much so that they ignore anything wrong with them and only remember all the good stuff...he breaks up a 2 on 1...great play. he turns the puck over with a blind pass up the middle, oops, hes just a kid learning.

Okay well there's a difference between living with growing pains and willfully turning a blind eye to his deficiencies. Skjei's first call up he was awful. A lost puppy in the defensive zone. He's improved in every call up since and it's exciting. Obvi he's going to make poor reads and passes but it's *bleh* part of the process. This isn't a new concept.

i think the reason the Red Wings always seem to have young kids coming up is because the kids are ready to..they dont seem forced into it. I think Skjie is close...but i dont think hes looked nearly as good as people here do.

You're not necessarily wrong, but they aren't either.

i also think that people are so used to seeing abysmal defense, that even seeing average defense is considered amazing.

relevant :laugh:

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I think Skeij has looked good....not raw. His skating has been excellent and he more than keeps up with his assignments at the NHL level. We've seen how he can get back on D when a player like G would be well out of the play. I'm also impressed by Skeij's ability to carry the puck out of his own end and continue to bring it forward if no one is open.

The kid can skate and has played responsible D. I don't think it's wishful thinking. I think it's the truth. Those that say he looks raw might be stating such a thing because "raw" is how they expect him to look and they want to err on the side of caution when discussing him on public forums.

I'm fine being one of the mindless cheerleaders that loves what he's been seeing in Skeij. Give me more raw Skeij.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Skjei's acceleration is simply elite, even better than McD's. I've seen him a few times take 2 quick strides and he is almost at top speed already. It's pretty incredible.

He made some nice defensive plays too yesterday, breaking up that 3 on 1 was very nice, not sure why MSG didnt bother to show a replay of it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i agree that growing pains are to be expected, you gotta deal with it, blah blah blah...but you DONT deal with it in the stanley cup playoffs. im sorry...you just dont.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Skjei's acceleration is simply elite, even better than McD's. I've seen him a few times take 2 quick strides and he is almost at top speed already. It's pretty incredible.

He made some nice defensive plays too yesterday, breaking up that 3 on 1 was very nice, not sure why MSG didnt bother to show a replay of it.

Yeah he can lead a great transition, really covers a lot of ice very quickly. Still there are a lot of issues that need to be honed in.

I'd think he would be pressed into too much action if he's playing beyond a sheltered role right now... but 6 months from now... he' really changes the look of the Ranger defense.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
i agree that growing pains are to be expected, you gotta deal with it, blah blah blah...but you DONT deal with it in the stanley cup playoffs. im sorry...you just dont.

I also don't want to deal with Dan Girardi in the stanley cup playoffs :cry::cry::cry:

Yeah he can lead a great transition, really covers a lot of ice very quickly. Still there are a lot of issues that need to be honed in.

I'd think he would be pressed into too much action if he's playing beyond a sheltered role right now... but 6 months from now... he' really changes the look of the Ranger defense.

Especially if he could play the right side. We'd be set.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

If you have other options, sure. If not, you have to deal with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00