Confirmed with Link: Brad Treliving named new GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It’s not only what he hasn’t done but what he has done:
Ryan Reaves for 3 years
Klingberg 4.5m for a crappy defensive player on a team that needs to improve defensively.

What he hasn’t done:
With so many players leaving he failed to keep at least one of Schenn, Acciari or Oreilly.

I appreciate your patience and optimism but as someone mentioned this is a desperate hire and the moves are reflecting that

Does our team look better today than it did 2 days ago?

Defense has not been our issue, and this post is already looking like it's aged poorly :laugh:

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Grab a heavy D man, ideally two, and we might make some real noise.

He’s made a mark already I’ll give him that.

We are adding a lot of offense, I am saying at this point, lean into it and go the Avalanche route and just try to out skill the other team.

Sit Gio, our entire right side could move the puck well (Timmins, Liljegren, Klingberg), and the left would be decent too (Rielly, Brodie, McCabe).

Reactions: Sypher04

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
7rc2ds.jpg
Hahaha

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Some nice low-risk moves today. Impressed to see he held firm and managed to get 1 year deals on some more wild-card type players like Bert and Domi .. virtually no risk for a win-now team. If they fail, it makes it easier to re-tool next summer. If the succeed, they can redefine the core next summer

I was thinking about his longer term deals like Coleman that he gave for middling players, and was worried he'd bind the cap that way with the team. But 1 year isn't bad.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We are adding a lot of offense, I am saying at this point, lean into it and go the Avalanche route and just try to out skill the other team.

Sit Gio, our entire right side could move the puck well (Timmins, Liljegren, Klingberg), and the left would be decent too (Rielly, Brodie, McCabe).
I loved Timmins last year, but he has a lot to prove to be a top six for playoffs. Also Brodie may be tailing off too. Who’s the shutdown pair here? McCabe I loved too but again was really shakey in the playoffs. Doesn’t feel like a cup winning D as currently constructed. The trade deadline always offers upgrades, Lil to me is key, does he take the next step.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I loved Timmins last year, but he has a lot to prove to be a top six for playoffs. Also Brodie may be tailing off too. Who’s the shutdown pair here? McCabe I loved too but again was really shakey in the playoffs. Doesn’t feel like a cup winning D as currently constructed. The trade deadline always offers upgrades, Lil to me is key, does he take the next step.

Do we need a true shutdown pair if we can move the puck up the ice quickly? I honestly don't know what the pairings may be, we don't have a lot of good defenders right now, it looks like every pairing will have at least 1 D who is not good in their own end.

I'm confused by the Klingberg move, but maybe the idea is just to get the puck into the ozone as fast as possible and go to work.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Overall he's made team defense weaker but there are trade-offs in offensive depth and physical/gritty play.

I do wonder about the PK, one of the strengths, of the team - Marner, Jarnkrok, Kampf are left on the roster as the key PKers .. Lafferty gets more minutes. But they need a couple of more bodies that can regularly take a shift. Maybe it's Nylander, assuming he's not traded.. or they'll have to sign another body.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Do we need a true shutdown pair if we can move the puck up the ice quickly? I honestly don't know what the pairings may be, we don't have a lot of good defenders right now, it looks like every pairing will have at least 1 D who is not good in their own end.

I'm confused by the Klingberg move, but maybe the idea is just to get the puck into the ozone as fast as possible and go to work.
I’d feel better if we did, but ultimately better finish is the real key.

At least it’s going to be an interesting year now, big personalities coming in, see how it shakes out.

Reactions: notbias

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I can't stop thinking about the Dubas Robots and how they must be feeling right now.

If this doesn't get them to defect to another team (PIT maybe?), then I don't know what will.

They'll be here until we start playing well in the regular season ( then probably be back in the post season if we lose again)

It's a cult that exists for some unknown reason

Reactions: torontoblood

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yes person who is spending all his free time defending a GM who no longer works for the team

Also the GM picks the players and the coaches if they "underperform" for multiple years in a row that's on him. Almost as bad as the Shanny is a secret puppet master excuse

I'm praising the new GM for his last two moves, I think they are good and add much needed secondary scoring.

You guys obsess over Dubas far more than anyone else.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
"Maybe you should wait and see what he does"

Why? He already did the biggest thing to the roster, he is running it back. And instead of running it back traditionally with skilled players he is bringing in over the hill vets and goons who can't play. We'll be slower and worse this season with nothing to look forward to come post season.
Virus... Fitting

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Im fine with these one year contracts.

Better than signing Engvall for 8 freaking years.
GMBT addressed our needs this season very well this off season, without jeopardizing the future and putting the risk of not being able to sign our elite forwards, thats the major thing.

We needed skill with toughness and probably got the two best forwards that fit our team for that in Bert and Domi, adding Reaves albeit longer then we wanted also brings a different element to the team, the difference between Simmonds and Reaves is Simmonds is a god awful skater compared to Reaves.

Klingberg is a wildcard, but it addresses another need we were looking for, more offence from the D and being able to move the puck out our zone by either passing or skating it out.

But yes, both our former GMS hard a pretty rough outing this free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad